Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 08-13-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Default Top Prep Schools?

Anybody know which Prep schools or High Schools are the best for specifically preparing players for College NCAA 1?

Or does anybody know any alternatives in Europe possibly? Such as Gran Canaria?

Basically, what's the best thing to do before college? In terms or preparing yourself?

Thanks.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Top Prep Schools?

Are you talking about academically prepped, or in terms of play? There's a bunch in Connecticut. There used to be one very near where I grew up called Milford Academy, that had Yinka Dare, who broke a backboard on a court we were playing on that damn near ruined my whole summer. Steve Francis was there for a year, and I played with him a bunch of times that summer. I'm pretty sure it closed though.
St. Thomas Moore, and St. Thomas Aquinas are both upstate, and both have hosted a number of major prospects for short stretches. Eddie Cota was at one of them. Wright, from the Heat, was drafted out of one of them. Andre Blatch spent a summer there. They're really small, good for getting kids through exams because of the intense one on one relationships between students and faculty. They're pretty intense though, uniforms, must live on campus. Dorm checks to make sure things are clean, beds made, stuff like that. They're probably pretty good for really getting someone who's not prepared for college life. And because of that extra test help, they seem to almost as a bonus get a lot of big time basketball players.
Honestly I'm surprised they haven't become a more common route for players who don't want to go to college. It's pretty much an extra year of HS, against HS competition, which they know they'll dominate, and they can keep that air of mystery and potential about their ability heading into the next draft, rather than going to college, or Europe, where they stand a better chance at having their weaknesses exposed.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Are you talking about academically prepped, or in terms of play? There's a bunch in Connecticut. There used to be one very near where I grew up called Milford Academy, that had Yinka Dare, who broke a backboard on a court we were playing on that damn near ruined my whole summer. Steve Francis was there for a year, and I played with him a bunch of times that summer. I'm pretty sure it closed though.
St. Thomas Moore, and St. Thomas Aquinas are both upstate, and both have hosted a number of major prospects for short stretches. Eddie Cota was at one of them. Wright, from the Heat, was drafted out of one of them. Andre Blatch spent a summer there. They're really small, good for getting kids through exams because of the intense one on one relationships between students and faculty. They're pretty intense though, uniforms, must live on campus. Dorm checks to make sure things are clean, beds made, stuff like that. They're probably pretty good for really getting someone who's not prepared for college life. And because of that extra test help, they seem to almost as a bonus get a lot of big time basketball players.
Honestly I'm surprised they haven't become a more common route for players who don't want to go to college. It's pretty much an extra year of HS, against HS competition, which they know they'll dominate, and they can keep that air of mystery and potential about their ability heading into the next draft, rather than going to college, or Europe, where they stand a better chance at having their weaknesses exposed.

Nice input!

Thorp, could you check your PMs?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

I was thinking specifically basketball.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011