Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Detroit Pistons Forum

Detroit Pistons Forum Detroit Pistons message board - pistons fan forum

Old 08-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #1
final.wrath
Banned

Default Prince might play more PF, Rip more SF

http://truebluepistons.blogspot.com/...look-like.html

Quote:
When I was talking to one of Curry’s new assistants, Pat Sullivan, about the plan to mix and match at backup small forward with players like Hamilton, Afflalo and Walter Herrmann, he brought up the possibility of those players getting minutes at that spot even when Prince was in the game.

“Tayshaun’s versatility to play as the four man presents a lot of problems to match up with, too,” he said. “Being with the Nets the last three years, the one thing Detroit poses to me that’s such a problem is the fact they have so many bigs that can shoot the ball with Rasheed, McDyess and now even (Jason) Maxiell is getting better at 15-, 18-foot jumpers.”

Quote:
There will be some matchups where swinging Prince to power forward wouldn’t work, sure, but Michael Curry doesn’t strike me as a particularly cautious man. He’s going to be more proactive than reactive. Which is another way of saying that he’s more likely to wonder how opposing power forwards are going to stay with Prince rather than worry about how Prince is going to keep from being overpowered by them.

Quote:
Look at some of the power forwards in the East. Is there any reason to fear the 6-foot-9 Prince being overwhelmed by the likes of Antawn Jamison, Rashard Lewis, Josh Smith, Yi Jianlian or Charlie Villanueva? Maybe you’d want to protect him from the likes of Elton Brand or Zach Randolph, but even terrific power forwards like Chris Bosh or Kevin Garnett don’t present physically dominant mismatches for the lanky Prince, at least not over short stretches – not when the corresponding matchup on the other end takes those players out of their comfort zones.

I like the idea of a 3 guard lineup. And like the article mentions, there aren't many dominant PF's in the east to discourage the Pistons from putting Prince at PF. Rip can also guard SF's pretty well.

We'll have to see how it works out. It might be a more situational weapon. I don't see it working too well against many elite teams, but I could be proven wrong. The best thing to come out of it would be more Stuckey. I think he gives us points in the paint like nobody else on the team can. And he's gotten pretty confident with that jumper too. Hopefully he and AJ break out next season.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
20 Dimes A Game
HeartHustleHope

Default Re: Prince might play more PF, Rip more SF

Yeah, Amir needs to play well this year. Then we can have some real freedom with rotations and defensive assignments.
20 Dimes A Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

We have so many PF's it almost doesn't make sense to have people play out of position. I could see having Billups, Stuckey, and Rip in the game at the same time but it would be very limited. Why have a group of guys playing together that you know won't work against the best teams in the NBA? The other guys need to play together to gel. Isn't the goal to beat those teams that are the best and win a championship? Tayshaun will get worked by Bosh, Marion, Brand, Randolph, etc.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

It will depend on the situation for sure… Its good to know that we have the personnel to play "small ball" with a three guard line up of Billups, Stuckey, and Hamilton… and whom ever to fill the other spots, such as the article implied having Prince move to the four. As dd24 has stated, we do indeed have an abundance of front court guys right now under contract… so the idea of Prince playing the four in a small line up may only be a seldom occasion…
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:56 AM   #5
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Against the east Tay might get away with PF but against the west? certainly not.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:04 AM   #6
dd24
College superstar

I'll say it again. Tayshaun will get worked by KG, Bosh, Marion, Brand, Randolph, Horford, etc. He'll have just as hard of a time with the east. In the west there is Duncan, Gasol (PF or C), Boozer, Nowitzki, Stoudemire, etc. I think he has it just as hard in both divisions.

It would be extremely situational. He can hit the outside shot and it would give the Pistons a chance to play small ball with Rip, Chauncey, and Rodney. That will only happen when teams are trying to rest certain players or if they are just small to begin with. Typically, when one team rests their starters the other does to so, like I said, it will be extremely situational.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: