Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-15-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
The Myth
Banned

Default Michael Phelps NOT The Greatest Olympic Athlete

He is defenitly the greatest swimmer of all time, and is amazing. He has won the most gold medals in Olympic history which is very cool. However, to call him the best Olympic athlete of ALL time is joke worthy.

The people that do the triatholon are who I would consider the best olympians where they do the 1.5K swim, 40K bike ride & 10K run. You could even argue that track runners, cyclists or gymnists are better athletes then swimmers, but you just can't. You may say that well he isn't comparable because of all the medals he has one this year and the wons he has won before. But for a runner to win that many medals, it would take about 40 years, since there aren't as many events in running as there is swimming.

So everyone going around saying Phelps is the greatest Olympian ever is laughable. He is def the GOAT swimmer and record holder for most golds but not GOAT olympian.

Last edited by The Myth : 08-15-2008 at 05:38 PM.
The Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
v-unit
NBA All-star

Default Re: Michael Phelps NOT The Greatest Olympic Athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Myth
The people that do the triatholon are who I would consider the best olympians where they do the 1.5K swim, 40K bike ride & 10K run. You could even argue that track runners, cyclists or gymnists are better athletes then swimmers, but you just can't.

Contradicting?

Quote:
You may say that well he isn't comparable because of all the medals he has won this year and the wons he has won before. But for a runner to win that many medals, it would take about 40 years, since there aren't as many events in running as there is swimming.

Yeah, it's understandable that for runners it will take a while, but look at swimmers of all time. How long will it take for every other swimmer to win that many medals? Michael Phelps is making it look easy to win medals, but I assure you it isn't. For any other swimmer to win that many it would take years as well.

Not only this, but he is doing ALL swimming events. You know how hard is it to master one swimming style, let alone all different kinds? To not only master the style, but master their SPEED and LONG DISTANCE?

This is why he is the best, if he wasn't here, there would be no other swimmer doing what he's doing.
v-unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:41 PM   #3
The Myth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
Contradicting?

Yeah, it's understandable that for runners it will take a while, but look at swimmers of all time. How long will it take for every other swimmer to win that many medals? Michael Phelps is making it look easy to win medals, but I assure you it isn't. For any other swimmer to win that many it would take years as well.

Not only this, but he is doing ALL swimming events. You know how hard is it to master one swimming style, let alone all different kinds? To not only master the style, but master their SPEED and LONG DISTANCE?

This is why he is the best, if he wasn't here, there would be no other swimmer doing what he's doing.

I wouldn't say I am contridicting myself because I never said runners, cyclists or gymnists are better athletes then swimmers cause you can't compare them since they are two completely different things. However people that do all 3 are who I consider the best olympians.

The fact that he is doing ALL the swimming events would, like I said, make him the GOAT swimmer.. but not greatest olympian.

EDIt - Oh, I see how you thought I was contridicting myself. I guess I worded it a bit weird. What I meant to say was.. You could argue that swimmers are better athletes then runners, cyclists or gymnists but it wouldnt be realistic becuase there in completely different events.

Last edited by The Myth : 08-15-2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
v-unit
NBA All-star

Ok, I see what you mean.

But looking at your OP, you didn't give alot of facts as to why he shouldn't be considered the greatest olympian, just because he only works on swimming?
Old 08-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
The Myth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-unit
Ok, I see what you mean.

But looking at your OP, you didn't give alot of facts as to why he shouldn't be considered the greatest olympian, just because he only works on swimming?

Mainly because he is only doing one event (swimming). I am not saying someone else is the GOAT of all time.. but I don't think he should be considered it. I don't really think anyone should. But if we had to pick someone.. I would say it should be someone from the triatholon events.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #6
Jackass18
The Iron Price

What other Olympian can match his resume?
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
The Myth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
What other Olympian can match his resume?

That doesn't make him the greatest olympian of all time. Someone could be as good as him in running, but it would take them 40 years. So they don't have a chance to.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
v-unit
NBA All-star

Do you think if there were all these type of events in running, where a runner could go for 8 in a row, do you honestly think that there is a runner that would win all 8? Hell, even if he did, do you think they could do it as dominatingly as Phelps?
Old 08-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
sunsfan1357
Word.

It depends on what sport your working in and what the bar is already set at. Phelp's bar is at 7 gold medals whereas on the track the bar is usually at 4-5 golds. Phelps is on track to beat what his standard his yet no one is on pace to break any such barriers in their respective Olympic events (that I know of).
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:52 PM   #10
Godfather
Banned

I thought you were about to say Kobe Bryant is...

But seriously Phelps is the greatest Olympian, but not the greatest athlete to attend the Olympics.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:35 PM   #11
canadianballer
Banned

canada's own simon whitfield is gonna bring us our first medal !!!
canadianballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #12
gts
Sons of Antartica

I think this has to be judged on a opportunity basis, phelps does have more chances to win gold then other athletes so it's not fair to say he's the best because he won this or that many golds...
you can say he's the best because he had 8 chances to win gold and he won 8 gold medals, that would be fair if you were to compare him to another athlete who had say 4 chances to win gold and won 2..
but all in all the disicplines from all the various sports are so varied i don't feel we can ever have just one greatest olympian
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #13
The Myth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather
I thought you were about to say Kobe Bryant is...

But seriously Phelps is the greatest Olympian, but not the greatest athlete to attend the Olympics.
I could agree with that.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #14
Rameek
Krust Kingz

8 Golds at 1 Olympics to me = Greatest Olympian
Ask yourself how man Medals this guy has already in his career... around 20 geez-sus!
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 08:12 PM   #15
AppleNader
Cornell Basketball=#1

Yes.

He's not the greatest Olympic "ATHLETE." The title of greatest athlete implies the best overall combination of physical skill and performance. I would take a world class decathlon athlete over Phelps in this regard.

However, he very well may be the greatest "OLYMPIAN." This implies a dominance in your event, which Phelps has already clearly shown. He is already the all time leading medal winner in Olympic history. Taking 8 golds this year will put him up even higher.
AppleNader is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: