Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 08-16-2008, 11:59 PM   #1
~LA's fine$t~
WIF Champion

~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here
Default You need Hi-Def Cable for PS3?

So I'm taking a trip to Toronto next weekend to visit my girls parents, and I've asked her dad to pre-order for me PS3 80GB from The Source. I was reading the specs for the system and I didn't see the Hi-Def cable anywhere.

I'm wondering is it a must for me to spend that extra 100 bucks to get the Hi-Def cable or is there really not much of a difference?

Someone said the 80 Gigs comes with it, but I couldn't really see it on their website when I was looking at that product.
~LA's fine$t~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #2
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: You need Hi-Def Cable for PS3?

This is the hdmi cable you need.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Performs just like those overprice monster cables you see in store...
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:18 AM   #3
KeylessEntry
I'm on the moon

KeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKeylessEntry is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Depends. If you are playing it on an HDTV, yes you definitely need the cable. Hi def cables wont do jack if you dont have an hdtv though.
KeylessEntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
~LA's fine$t~
WIF Champion

~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here~LA's fine$t~ has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeylessEntry
Depends. If you are playing it on an HDTV, yes you definitely need the cable. Hi def cables wont do jack if you dont have an hdtv though.

I do have a HDTV, is the difference extremely noticeable?
Like I had a 360 and didn't have the Hi-Def and it looked tight still.

I seen kings show me a nice cheap cable, does it really work well?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~LA's fine$t~
I do have a HDTV, is the difference extremely noticeable?
Like I had a 360 and didn't have the Hi-Def and it looked tight still.

I seen kings show me a nice cheap cable, does it really work well?

you notice a difference, at least i did and i'm VERY oblivious to TV terminologies and everything.

PS3 does NOT come with an HDMI or component cable, however it does come with AV wires which work just fine, you just won't experience HD gaming in HD quality, but regular oldschool quality
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
~LA's fine$t~
WIF Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixerfan82
you notice a difference, at least i did and i'm VERY oblivious to TV terminologies and everything.

PS3 does NOT come with an HDMI or component cable, however it does come with AV wires which work just fine, you just won't experience HD gaming in HD quality, but regular oldschool quality

Can I have a second opinion on the link kings send me?
I mean they are 2 bucks? Do they seriously work like normal Hi-Def cables or am I just wasting my time ordering it?

I seen those cables are 80 (component cable) and 100 bucks (Hi-Def cable) in the store...
Old 08-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #7
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

I seen those cables are 80 (component cable) and 100 bucks (Hi-Def cable) in the store...
Believe me, I'm a tech geeks. First you don't want the component because it's analog and doesn't have hdcp (important for bluray future).

HDMI is digital and one wire carries both sound and video. Don't buy those stupid marketing gimmick, like signal degradation with cheaper cables or some kind of superior connection with those overprice 100$ ones... with digital, you either get connection or you don't.

I use cheap cables on all my setup.

Here's 3 for 9$... with free shipping.
http://www.meritline.com/3-pcs-of-6-...le-28-awg.html
Old 08-17-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
gyu
Good college starter

gyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputationgyu has a terrific reputation

Cheap HDMI cables work just fine, monster cables are a rip-off don't get them.
I've had my ~$5 HDMI cable for about a year and I have had no problems whatsoever since I've had them.
gyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #9
~LA's fine$t~
WIF Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
Believe me, I'm a tech geeks. First you don't want the component because it's analog and doesn't have hdcp (important for bluray future).

HDMI is digital and one wire carries both sound and video. Don't buy those stupid marketing gimmick, like signal degradation with cheaper cables or some kind of superior connection with those overprice 100$ ones... with digital, you either get connection or you don't.

I use cheap cables on all my setup.

Here's 3 for 9$... with free shipping.
http://www.meritline.com/3-pcs-of-6-...le-28-awg.html

Thanks for the help man.
So this cheap cables work just as well, I mean is there a big difference between the expensive cables and the cheap ones?

And is there a noticeable difference when you use the cheap Hi-Def cables and when you don't use them at all?

Thanks for all your helps guys!
Old 08-17-2008, 11:10 PM   #10
sixerfan82
College star

sixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong waysixerfan82 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyu
Cheap HDMI cables work just fine, monster cables are a rip-off don't get them.
I've had my ~$5 HDMI cable for about a year and I have had no problems whatsoever since I've had them.

yea, i attest to this as well, i bought HD wires for $12, the 80 version is for the people who want the absolute best of everything from what i hear
sixerfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #11
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just a tip, make sure the HDMIs you buy are going to reach. There's a standard of three feet, and for me, they didn't reach. If you're accostumed to hooking up analogs to the front of a TV, you usually don't think about how much distance there is to the back of the screen, especially if you've got a stand that you have to go through too.

The difference the HD makes in the games is almost game dependent. I've played GTA in both, and don't see a huge difference, but that game is really dark and shadowy in a lot of areas, so that may have something to do with it. The brighter games definitely show better. Drake's Fortune looks awesome in HD (excellent game by the way), and I'd say noticably better than the analog hookup. And if you're planning on using it to watch Blu-Ray movies, it's a must.

Playstation makes it's own HDMI cable. It's like 40 bucks. Enough cheaper than the big Monsters, but obviously not the three buck lines in here. I've never used those though.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #12
~LA's fine$t~
WIF Champion

Ah this is retarded, I have a Hi-Def TV. It goes up to 1080i, and I ordered that cable kings showed me (the first link) for 10 bucks. And now I can't find the damn USB like hook up in the back of my TV?

All I see is the component input, I also see S-Video Input but that hole isn't like the cable I ordered?
I can see my PS3 has the correct hole for the HDMI cable but I can't find the hole on my TV, even though it's a high definition TV.
WTF!!!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #13
Sonic R
Be Attitude For Gains

Sonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputationSonic R has a terrific reputation

This is what the HDMI port look like…

The thing however is that the PS3 displays in 1080p as in progressive as opposed to 1080i which is interlaced.
Sonic R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:36 PM   #14
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I really feel for you LAF. Between this, and your purchase of a game you seem to genuinely dislike in Metal Gear, you must be pretty close to throwing everything out the window. If it's not a permenant hook up, and you're just staying there for a short trip, just hook it up analog and move on. You can get the good stuff later on.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:54 PM   #15
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

Quote:
Ah this is retarded, I have a Hi-Def TV. It goes up to 1080i, and I ordered that cable kings showed me (the first link) for 10 bucks. And now I can't find the damn USB like hook up in the back of my TV?

All I see is the component input, I also see S-Video Input but that hole isn't like the cable I ordered?
I can see my PS3 has the correct hole for the HDMI cable but I can't find the hole on my TV, even though it's a high definition TV.
WTF!!!
You have the earlier tv models and those don't have hdmi inputs, all tv that came out after 05 pretty much have one. What model do you have? Why didn't you bother checking the of back of tv before you order?

You have no choice and go with components.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5651640

Just go to your local store and pick one up for 19$.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic R

The thing however is that the PS3 displays in 1080p as in progressive as opposed to 1080i which is interlaced.
PS3 supports both, you just have to set it through the menu.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: