PDA

View Full Version : Official UFC 129: GSP vs Shields

Pages : [1] 2

ErhnamDjinn
04-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Tried scanning the first few pages didnt see if Bruins made a thread so here it is.

UFC 129: St-Pierre vs. Shields

Main Card

Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Jake Shields
Brazil Jos

Qwyjibo
04-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Anyway I havent seen anything from Shields to see how he can win against GSP. Dana has also stated if Machida loses here he might be cut, although he deserves to be cut if he cant even win against Randy.
That would be silly. I agree that if he can't beat Couture then it's very piss poor on Machida's part but any fighter can have a great/bad fight. The Rampage loss was very close and to me, could've been called either way. Machida is still one of the better LHW in the world and a fluke loss to Couture (because it would have to be a fluke) shouldn't get him cut.

GSP is probably going to use the same strategy he used vs Kos. Move a lot, jab and keep it standing at all times.

macmac
04-21-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm gonna slam gsp big, I think it's at -475 now

Jackass18
04-21-2011, 11:21 AM
GSP
Aldo
The Janitor
Machida
Ben Henderson
Diaz
Ellenberger

Diaz/MacDonald should be on the main card over either of Matyushenko/Brilz or
Bocek/Henderson, but I guess it's not a big deal. I don't really know who to pick for that one. My gut says Diaz, but I want MacDonald to win.

Shields has the ability to pull the upset. He's awesome on the ground and he's rather crafty. He has to avoid the striking and do a much better job of cutting weight so he doesn't gas early. GSP is likely to win, but I don't think I'd bet on him after -325 or so.

heyhey
04-21-2011, 11:28 AM
I got
GSP
Aldo
Lyoto
Janitor
Diaz

don't really care about the other fights.

I don't see how Shields can beat GSP. GSP is a monster matchup for Shields. GSP will dictate where the fight takes place and on the goround GSP's got great positional grappling that along with his vaseline jk should keep him from getting tapped out.

Besides I hope Shields lose. I want to see Nick Diaz contending in UFC welterweight division

Stinky Dog
04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I'm taking here Shields here. Shields is one the best pound for pound fighters in the sport and is the most underrated fighter going (along with his teammate Gilbert Melendez). He's undefeated for the past 6 years and has wins over Hendo and Okami. If Hendo and Okami fought GSP I'd favor both of them personally. Shields also was on the receiving end of a hendo bumb and recovered - maybe the only fighter ever to claim such a thing. This is going to be an epic war but I honestly believe Shields can pull of a sub or even win a decision against GSP. It's going to be a very tough and close fight.

macmac
04-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Wanna put some money on that alex?

Stinky Dog
04-21-2011, 11:36 AM
I got
GSP
Aldo
Lyoto
Janitor
Diaz

don't really care about the other fights.

I don't see how Shields can beat GSP. GSP is a monster matchup for Shields. GSP will dictate where the fight takes place and on the goround GSP's got great positional grappling that along with his vaseline jk should keep him from getting tapped out.

Besides I hope Shields lose. I want to see Nick Diaz contending in UFC welterweight division
Shields can take grind out out GSP and take him down. GSP is an amazing wrestler and implements great gameplans but so does Shields. Jake Shields will put GSP on his back at some point during the fight and that's when GSP will really be tested. GSP is going to have the advantage on the feet but he won't be able to keep the fight standing for 5 rounds. Shields is way, way too game, smart, and gritty. Shields top game is better than anyone in the UFC @ 170 or 185. If he beats GSP which I think he'll have a great chance of doing I think he'll take out Anderson too. This guy beat Okami and Dan Henderson...That's serious shit.

You'll see.

Stinky Dog
04-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Wanna put some money on that alex?
yeah i do. you'll give me -450?

macmac
04-21-2011, 11:44 AM
yeah i do. you'll give me -450?

I just saw the lines, it's +350 and -450 so I'll meet u halfway and go 4 to 1 if u want

Stinky Dog
04-21-2011, 11:48 AM
I just saw the lines, it's +350 and -450 so I'll meet u halfway and go 4 to 1 if u want
thats fair. how do we exchange money though? paypal?

DaHeezy
04-21-2011, 11:49 AM
Easy card to pick. Have fun Tdot, I already got my ticks for Van.

macmac
04-21-2011, 11:53 AM
thats fair. how do we exchange money though? paypal?

The easiest for me would be Fulltilt although payoal is doable I guess...I heard there's a website out there where u can bet on sports player vs player as well...

Fuxk I just realized fulltilt is no longer an option for u lol ok I can do paypal

Stinky Dog
04-21-2011, 11:58 AM
The easiest for me would be Fulltilt although payoal is doable I guess...I heard there's a website out there where u can bet on sports player vs player as well...

Fuxk I just realized fulltilt is no longer an option for u lol ok I can do paypal
Cool i'll put up 50 unless that's not worth your time we can do a 100?

macmac
04-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Cool i'll put up 50 unless that's not worth your time we can do a 100?

100 would be cool

Stinky Dog
04-21-2011, 12:02 PM
100 would be cool

Alright time to put my money where my mouth is. Isn't 100 US worth less in Canada? Ha.

This will be fun. I'll shoot you a private message on FB after the fight.

Stinky Dog
04-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Mac I know GSP is your boy and all and he definitely is world class fighter but Shields in not a +400 dog or +350 for that matter. They are much more even then the oddsmakers and fans are giving him credit for. It's a very even fight, great value for me win or lose can't turn those odds down.

jamal99
04-21-2011, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=ErhnamDjinn]
Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Jake Shields
[B]Jos

heyhey
04-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Shields can take grind out out GSP and take him down. GSP is an amazing wrestler and implements great gameplans but so does Shields. Jake Shields will put GSP on his back at some point during the fight and that's when GSP will really be tested. GSP is going to have the advantage on the feet but he won't be able to keep the fight standing for 5 rounds. Shields is way, way too game, smart, and gritty. Shields top game is better than anyone in the UFC @ 170 or 185. If he beats GSP which I think he'll have a great chance of doing I think he'll take out Anderson too. This guy beat Okami and Dan Henderson...That's serious shit.

You'll see.
I'm probably the biggest GSP hater on this site but GSP has a great record of nullifying grappplers on the ground. I think Shields is probably the 2nd best WW in the world but if Kos couldn't take GSP down I don't see shields doing it. and if BJ penn couldn't do shit with GSP in his guard, I'm not sure if a sub is a good bet.

I like Shields but he beat okami when okami was like my weight:

http://mmahq.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/silva-okami1.jpg

and Henderson was old. can't believe they are feeding him to Fedor.

but I hope Shields wins, would really shake up a otherwise stagnant division. You are completely right about Gilbert Melendez tho, I have him as number1 lightweight.

Stinky Dog
04-21-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm probably the biggest GSP hater on this site but GSP has a great record of nullifying grappplers on the ground. I think Shields is probably the 2nd best WW in the world but if Kos couldn't take GSP down I don't see shields doing it. and if BJ penn couldn't do shit with GSP in his guard, I'm not sure if a sub is a good bet.

I like Shields but he beat okami when okami was like my weight:

http://mmahq.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/silva-okami1.jpg

and Henderson was old. can't believe they are feeding him to Fedor.

but I hope Shields wins, would really shake up a otherwise stagnant division. You are completely right about Gilbert Melendez tho, I have him as number1 lightweight.
Doesn't matter what weight Okami was when Shield's him he's one of the hardest fighters to beat at any weight.

Beating Hendo is no joke, the guy may be old but he's still an elite fighter. In his last 6 fight's he's 5-1 with wins against Babalu, Calvacante, Bisping, Franklin, Bisping, and Palhares aka Paul Harris. His only loss is to Shields, that's some serious shit. Jake Shields is SERIOUS SHIT.

Shield's is a much better grappler than anything GSP has faced including BJ, Fitch, and Kos. He subbed Fitch easily in sub grappling touney (I think ADCC) a while ago. He's the best grappler under 185. You'll see. He's going to give GSP a hell of a fight.

macmac
04-21-2011, 01:42 PM
If I paid that kinda juice for the mavs and Okc in the first round I can pay that kinda juice for my homeboy GSP...I'm a sucker for UFC favorites....I paid -850 on silva versus sonnen...damn was that a scare lol

Zombles
04-21-2011, 03:20 PM
no one's actually seen the Okami fight huh

Shields couldn't land one takedown and did no damage to Yushin standing but won the fight by leaning on him against the cage for the first two rounds

Shields is awesome but Hendo's defensive wrestling isn't the greatest, Anderson Silva hit a collapse on a him to take top position and Paul Harris elevated him for a monster slam, and Dan gassed out early.

GSP is a much better wrestler and just faced a much better wrestler in Kos, he'll sprawl and brawl his way to another round-by-round shut-out, a stoppage if he wants it.

Jake has the best jiu-jitsu of anyone between Maia/Jacare and Penn but it will be irrelevant. He struggled mightily at times to take down Kampmann and couldn't hold him down, it will be much worse with GSP who is the best wrestler and best athlete he's ever faced.

dkmwise
04-21-2011, 05:24 PM
no one's actually seen the Okami fight huh

Shields couldn't land one takedown and did no damage to Yushin standing but won the fight by leaning on him against the cage for the first two rounds

Shields is awesome but Hendo's defensive wrestling isn't the greatest, Anderson Silva hit a collapse on a him to take top position and Paul Harris elevated him for a monster slam, and Dan gassed out early.

GSP is a much better wrestler and just faced a much better wrestler in Kos, he'll sprawl and brawl his way to another round-by-round shut-out, a stoppage if he wants it.

Jake has the best jiu-jitsu of anyone between Maia/Jacare and Penn but it will be irrelevant. He struggled mightily at times to take down Kampmann and couldn't hold him down, it will be much worse with GSP who is the best wrestler and best athlete he's ever faced.

I agree, Shield is a legit contender, one of the top fighers, but his competition has not been quite as good as GSP has fought. And the Kampman fight was surpisingly close. GSP has faced top wrestlers in Hughes, Kos, and Fitch, and top BJJ guys in Penn and Serra and they could do nothing to him on the ground. And GSP has very good Muay Thai and trains boxing with Freddie Roach. And talk about being an athlete, anyone see the Primetime show last night, GSP is doing all out gymnastics.

I would easily bet on GSP to win straight up, but Shields is too dangerous to give 4-1 odds.

Godzuki
04-21-2011, 07:13 PM
I hope Machida loses and Couture retires right after that. It'd be nice for him to go out on a win than loss. i also can't stand watching Machida fights, almost as bad as GSP fights of late. at least with GSP he can be exciting if he wanted to be, like he used to be, but you know what you're getting with Machida :sleeping

I like the GSP vs Shields matchup a lot more than his previous competition including BJ. GSP seems to always look bigger than his opponents and it shows in the ring and so fit, while i don't see him being able to bully Shields as much, and i doubt he's going to out endurance him. i like this fight a lot, hopefully it'll bring out the old super man punching, spin kicking/fisting, exciting GSP when he took chances.

Jackass18
04-21-2011, 08:40 PM
Shield's is a much better grappler than anything GSP has faced including BJ, Fitch, and Kos.

Penn, Serra, and Hughes are all great grapplers, but GSP dominated them (though, Penn and Serra are small WWs). Also, GSP dominated Mayhem while Shields nearly got subbed by him.

He subbed Fitch easily in sub grappling touney (I think ADCC) a while ago.

That was like 6 years ago in the Gracie Open.

He's the best grappler under 185.

Better than Marcelo Garcia and Pablo Popovitch?

You'll see. He's going to give GSP a hell of a fight.

I can see him giving him a hell of a fight, but Shields lack of striking and bad cardio in his last fight don't concern you?

dkmwise
04-21-2011, 09:04 PM
I like the GSP vs Shields matchup a lot more than his previous competition including BJ. GSP seems to always look bigger than his opponents and it shows in the ring and so fit, while i don't see him being able to bully Shields as much, and i doubt he's going to out endurance him. i like this fight a lot, hopefully it'll bring out the old super man punching, spin kicking/fisting, exciting GSP when he took chances.

I second that. The guy has such great striking but he hasn't shown it in a while

macmac
04-21-2011, 09:10 PM
I second that. The guy has such great striking but he hasn't shown it in a while

I dunno his jabbing last fight was pretty entertaining to me. He brings a different element each fight depending on his matchup's weakness. That type of chess guru tactics is very entertaining to me. There is no one as technical and well prepared as GSP before a bout. I have full confidence in my boy

Erudus
04-22-2011, 12:03 AM
where / when did randy say this will be his last fight? not saying i dont believe u i just havent heard that

Stinky Dog
04-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Penn, Serra, and Hughes are all great grapplers, but GSP dominated them (though, Penn and Serra are small WWs). Also, GSP dominated Mayhem while Shields nearly got subbed by him.

That was like 6 years ago in the Gracie Open.

Better than Marcelo Garcia and Pablo Popovitch?

I can see him giving him a hell of a fight, but Shields lack of striking and bad cardio in his last fight don't concern you?
Mayhem is a much different fighter than he was when he fought GSP. Hughes is not a great grappler. He is a one dimensional wrestler with decent top control. He is no where near the level grappler Jake Shields is. Serra is not a great MMA grappler either. He has decent jiu-jitsu off his back but hasn't subbed anyone since 2002. Being a decorated grappler and a good MMA grappler are entirely different things. Penn is a good 20-30 lbs. lighter then Shields and would get worked by Jake in a sub grappling contest (he'd be controlled) and in MMA he'd get grinded out.

Pablo Popovitch and Marcelo Garcia are jiu-jitsu players and would get touched in MMA vs. Jake Shields. Obviously there are some guys out there under 185 who can beat Shields in a strictly grappling match? Do you think I'm not aware of this? LOL.

Shields lack of cardio will get worked out. He unlike GSP moves up and down in weight and has a true warrior spirit (will fight anyone). His striking is not on the level of GSP's but his top game/submissions are better than GSP's and Shields is one of the smartest fighters and hardest workers. Of course GSP is an incredibly difficult match up and is rightfully the favorite but Shields is a whole different animal than anything GSP has faced to date.

dkmwise
04-22-2011, 12:42 AM
Mayhem is a much different fighter than he was when he fought GSP. Hughes is not a great grappler. He is a one dimensional wrestler with decent top control. He is no where near the level grappler Jake Shields is. Serra is not a great MMA grappler either. He has decent jiu-jitsu off his back but hasn't subbed anyone since 2002. Being a decorated grappler and a good MMA grappler are entirely different things. Penn is a good 20-30 lbs. lighter then Shields and would get worked by Jake in a sub grappling contest (he'd be controlled) and in MMA he'd get grinded out.

Pablo Popovitch and Marcelo Garcia are jiu-jitsu players and would get touched in MMA vs. Jake Shields. Obviously there are some guys out there under 185 who can beat Shields in a strictly grappling match? Do you think I'm not aware of this? LOL.

Shields lack of cardio will get worked out. He unlike GSP moves up and down in weight and has a true warrior spirit (will fight anyone). His striking is not on the level of GSP's but his top game/submissions are better than GSP's and Shields is one of the smartest fighters and hardest workers. Of course GSP is an incredibly difficult match up and is rightfully the favorite but Shields is a whole different animal than anything GSP has faced to date.

You make some good points, but who is GSP not willing to fight? He has fought the best in the world and has stated he is willing to permanently move ot middleweight if the UFC matchmakers will set up the Silva fight. And it's not like Shields changed weight classes because of an interesting fight, he didn't want to fight his teammate Diaz.

Shields in no joke and he impressed me a lot by beating Hendo, but you can't compare the guy's he's faced to the guy's GSP has fought.

And saying 'Shields is a whole different animal than anything GSP has faced to date.' Maybe it's true, but everyone said the exact same thing when GSP was facing Fitch, Alves, and even Kos as far as wrestling goes.

Stinky Dog
04-22-2011, 01:18 AM
You make some good points, but who is GSP not willing to fight? He has fought the best in the world and has stated he is willing to permanently move ot middleweight if the UFC matchmakers will set up the Silva fight. And it's not like Shields changed weight classes because of an interesting fight, he didn't want to fight his teammate Diaz.

Shields in no joke and he impressed me a lot by beating Hendo, but you can't compare the guy's he's faced to the guy's GSP has fought.

And saying 'Shields is a whole different animal than anything GSP has faced to date.' Maybe it's true, but everyone said the exact same thing when GSP was facing Fitch, Alves, and even Kos as far as wrestling goes.
He's not willing to move up in weight and fight Anderson Silva. He was offered the fight at a catch weight and turned it down. That's the fight everyone wanted to see and he'd rather stay put @ 170. I'm not saying he's a coward or scared or anything of that nature but he's obviously interested in building and maintaing a legacy whereas a fighter like Shields is interested in challenging himself and will fight anyone regardless of weight disparity.

Honestly Shields has fought equal or better competition than Shields over the past 5 years, especially considering the majority of his fights are @ 185.

Everyone says all sorts of things. He is a better fighter than Fitch, Alves, and Kos and what makes him dangerous and sets him apart aside from insane work rate and elite top game is that he has amazing submissions which can end the fight at anytime.

Jackass18
04-22-2011, 05:09 AM
Mayhem is a much different fighter than he was when he fought GSP.

Oh, but it's fine for you to point out Shields beating Fitch in a grappling match 6 years ago?

Hughes is not a great grappler. He is a one dimensional wrestler with decent top control.

He's not a great grappler? Just because he comes from a wrestling background doesn't mean he's one-dimensional and somehow not a great grappler. He's a great wrestler and he's great at submissions. He has ADCC wins over Ricardo Almeida and Jeremy Horn. He has 20 submissions on his MMA resume (granted, some were by strikes).

Considering Shield's striking isn't all that great, then they would have a chance against him if they trained for MMA again. Also, Andre Galvao is possibly a better grappler in MMA, but lacks in other areas, so I would certainly favor Shields. If you're going by purely MMA, then Aoki's has probably looked the best for under 185.

He unlike GSP moves up and down in weight and has a true warrior spirit (will fight anyone).

Yeah, that's a thing I like about Shields. I think GSP is a bit too worried about his legacy.

Jackass18
04-22-2011, 05:30 AM
I don't want to sell Shields short as he is a great grappler, but GSP outwrestled Kos, I remember Serra saying that he saw some holes in GSP's game and could sweep him, but he couldn't do shit and was humbled, he humiliated Hughes again, dominated Penn so badly that his corner threw in the towel, dominated Fitch for 5 rounds, and he continued to dominate Alves even after he tore his groin in that fight. I just don't think subbing Lawler and Daley, beating Mayhem while nearly getting choked out and beating an aging Hendo is nearly as impressive. Shields has been in trouble in all of his past 3 fights and came very close to losing while GSP hasn't been in any kind of trouble in years.

Stinky Dog
04-22-2011, 06:45 PM
Oh, but it's fine for you to point out Shields beating Fitch in a grappling match 6 years ago?

He's not a great grappler? Just because he comes from a wrestling background doesn't mean he's one-dimensional and somehow not a great grappler. He's a great wrestler and he's great at submissions. He has ADCC wins over Ricardo Almeida and Jeremy Horn. He has 20 submissions on his MMA resume (granted, some were by strikes).

Considering Shield's striking isn't all that great, then they would have a chance against him if they trained for MMA again. Also, Andre Galvao is possibly a better grappler in MMA, but lacks in other areas, so I would certainly favor Shields. If you're going by purely MMA, then Aoki's has probably looked the best for under 185.

Yeah, that's a thing I like about Shields. I think GSP is a bit too worried about his legacy.
Shields would handle Fitch in MMA match or a grappling much. That's why I felt the need to point that out.

Matt Hughes is not a great grappler. He's a good grappler for sure but not great by any stretch of the imagination. Again you don't have to tell me that a wrestler can't be a great grappler. I was a pretty good wrestler in HS and have been training jiu-jitsu for almost 5 years. Matt Hughes has decent wrestling/top control but he doesn't have great submissions he has good submissions. He's not a fluid grappler he relies on strength versus techniques. He'd get tooled vs elite grapplers into sub grappling matches where as Jake Shields can hold his own vs the best of the best. Hughes was one of the first guys with a strictly wrestling background to incorporate submissions into his arsenal but that hardly means he's great at submissions. The ADCC win over Jeremy Horn was a work both guys agreed to (thought you would that). Shields was a great collegiate wrestler too and has much more fluid submissions while being very slick off his back. He would tool Fitch, Hughes, Penn, Serra in a sub grappling match, he'd beat them all in MMA as well. BJ Penn's jiu-jitsu is grossly overrated.

Garcia and Popovitch would get absolutely demolished in a MMA fight vs Jake Shields. You're better than that dude. Jake Shields would take them both down and ground and pound - TKO them round 1. Just because you're world class at jiu-jitsu does not mean you can handle getting punched in the face. As soon as you get hit all of that technique goes out the window. Jacare got knocked out by a scrub in his first fight ever and took a long time to successfully transition to MMA. Not to mention he is a much more fluid athlete then Garcia and Popovitch which translates much better to MMA for obvious reasons.

We'll see what happens when they fight. I happen to think it's going to be an even fight and definitely be George's toughest fight to date. Would not be surprised if Shields pulled off the win and I think he ultimately will. Remember when I picked Guillard to beat Dunham, he was a heavy dog as well.

Wade3
04-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Frenchie should move up and fight Anderson "The Matrix" Silva if he beats Shields

Velocirap31
04-22-2011, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't ever bet against GSP. Even when he fights someone everyone thinks will be his toughest challenge to date, blah blah, he makes that fighter look like they barely know how to fight.

Stinky Dog
04-22-2011, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't ever bet against GSP. Even when he fights someone everyone thinks will be his toughest challenge to date, blah blah, he makes that fighter look like they barely know how to fight.
Everyone can be beat dude. Jake Shields is not a 4-1 to 1 dog in a fight vs anyone under 185 lbs or even 205 lbs. for that matter, outside of maybe Jon Jones. GSP can be beat and like any other great fighter will suffer defeat sooner rather than later. He's an amazing fighter but Jake Shields is his toughest challenge to date bar none. Jake Shields would handle everyone that GSP's fought.

Reef
04-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Frenchie should move up and fight Anderson "The Matrix" Silva if he beats Shields

:confusedshrug:

Velocirap31
04-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Jake Shields would handle everyone that GSP's fought.

That's probably true. It's just been the same old sort of thing since he fought Alves. I don't know who actually is a legit threat to him anymore because everyone since he beat Serra has been a breeze for him.

Stinky Dog
04-22-2011, 08:01 PM
That's probably true. It's just been the same old sort of thing since he fought Alves. I don't know who actually is a legit threat to him anymore because everyone since he beat Serra has been a breeze for him.
GSP is a cut above everyone @ 170. If he beats Shields easily (which I truly believe he won't) then he has no more work to do. Shields definitely is the greatest challenge presented to date. Also I think once you've been champion for a while it's easy to get a little complacent (although Georges has yet to do this)...

Jackass18
04-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Matt Hughes is not a great grappler. He's a good grappler for sure but not great by any stretch of the imagination.

We'll have to disagree, but maybe we're just arguing over the meaning of good and great. If you compare him to the top grapplers, then I guess you could say he's not great, but if you compare him to the average fighter, then he is.

He'd get tooled vs elite grapplers into sub grappling matches where as Jake Shields can hold his own vs the best of the best.

Shields hasn't faced too many top level BJJ guys. I think he's only faced 2 black belts in quite some time. Shields vs. Maia or Jacare would be interesting fights.

The ADCC win over Jeremy Horn was a work both guys agreed to (thought you would that).

Yeah, but didn't they do that because they thought Hughes had the better chance at winning? What about Almeida? He even tapped him in an MMA fight. Though, I guess you'll say that was more due to that punch that put him on the floor.

Shields was a great collegiate wrestler too and has much more fluid submissions while being very slick off his back.

All-American at a JC is alright, but it doesn't matter. GSP outwrestled guys who were All-Americans at a Division I level. Shields has a nice guillotine, but can you see him catching GSP with it?

He would tool Fitch, Hughes, Penn, Serra in a sub grappling match, he'd beat them all in MMA as well. BJ Penn's jiu-jitsu is grossly overrated.

I'd like to see him against a motivated Penn or against Fitch. I can hear MMA fans groaning and grumbling at the thought of a Fitch/Shields fight, though.

Jacare got knocked out by a scrub in his first fight ever and took a long time to successfully transition to MMA. Not to mention he is a much more fluid athlete then Garcia and Popovitch which translates much better to MMA for obvious reasons.

Jacare went on to win 10 in a row. Maia won his first 11 fights. Roger Gracie has looked good. I know there are a number of BJJ guys who have had quite a bit of trouble crossing over as many of them don't like to get hit or are just not used to it, but I wouldn't assume all are like that. I remember watching a video of Garcia schooling the hell out of Askren, but they were rolling so there was no striking, though.

We'll see what happens when they fight. I happen to think it's going to be an even fight and definitely be George's toughest fight to date. Would not be surprised if Shields pulled off the win and I think he ultimately will.

I don't think GSP is going to lose in front of a crowd like that. He's not underestimating Shields like many MMA fans are. He knows how good Shields is on the ground and has been training accordingly (working with a number of BJJ guys including Roger Gracie and Braulio Estima).

Remember when I picked Guillard to beat Dunham, he was a heavy dog as well.

I was picking more on personal like/dislike of the fighters, which isn't the smartest thing to do, but I'm not doing that for the GSP/Shields fight. I don't think Shields should be as big of an underdog as the odds say, though.

pauk
04-22-2011, 11:20 PM
dont believe the hype please.....
shields will be just another ragdoll... a punching bag for GSP.... just wait and see...

there is nobody that can beat GSP at that weight class...

1. shields can NOT take GSP down... never...

2. GSP can take shields down.... anytime...

3. shields is a pathetic striker compared to GSP....

4. GSP will strike with him and win the fight that way... by knockout or decision....... OR MAYBE he will take him down and ground n pound him sometimes when he wishes.... GSP is just as good of a BJJ guy aswell and even smarter..... GSP was submitted only once and thats 8 years ago.....

Stinky Dog
04-23-2011, 12:22 AM
dont believe the hype please.....
shields will be just another ragdoll... a punching bag for GSP.... just wait and see...

there is nobody that can beat GSP at that weight class...

1. shields can NOT take GSP down... never...

2. GSP can take shields down.... anytime...

3. shields is a pathetic striker compared to GSP....

4. GSP will strike with him and win the fight that way... by knockout or decision....... OR MAYBE he will take him down and ground n pound him sometimes when he wishes.... GSP is just as good of a BJJ guy aswell and even smarter..... GSP was submitted only once and thats 8 years ago.....
Shields can definitely take GSP down. MMA takedowns are highly involved. GSP has amazing takedown defense but Shields is extremely crafty. Over the course of a 5 round fight he will takedown GSP.

GSP can't take Shields down as easily as you think. Of course he's capable of taking him down but again you're definitely overlooking Shields and I'll go out on a limb and assume you've only watched him fight once in the UFC.

Shields is definitely no where near the level striker Georges is. I agree there but I guarantee Shields knows this as well and will be doing everything in his power to get the fight to the ground.

Taking someone down in MMA requires a wide array of techniques that go way beyond traditional greco or freestyle wrestling, spacing, closing distances, using the cage's angels, pressing clinching, GRINDING. Jakes Shields is the ultimate grinder.

LOL @ GSP winning the fight by KO. Jake Shields took a Hendo bomb and wasn't KOed. The only man who can boast that. Not to mention he hasn't been knocked out in his last 30 fights but GSP is going to KO him..LOL

jamal99
04-23-2011, 05:19 PM
LOL @ GSP winning the fight by KO. Jake Shields took a Hendo bomb and wasn't KOed. The only man who can boast that. Not to mention he hasn't been knocked out in his last 30 fights but GSP is going to KO him..LOL

I don't think anyone can predict how will the fight end. I don't think that GSP will KO Shields, I don't even think it will be a TKO, but it's MMA and everything is possbile!

Kobe Jnr
04-23-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm rooting for Shields, I haven't seen him fight that much, but safe Pierre just gets on my nerves.

I would love to see GSP get knockout in front of 50k Canadians..,. would be a great moment.

Reef
04-23-2011, 05:57 PM
I'm rooting for Shields, I haven't seen him fight that much, but safe Pierre just gets on my nerves.

I would love to see GSP get knockout in front of 50k Canadians..,. would be a great moment.

You call GSP safe, yet he has a higher percentage of stopping opponents than Shields does.

ErhnamDjinn
04-29-2011, 06:37 AM
bump fight is this Saturday

http://mmajunkie.com/news/23419/evolving-machida-puts-pressure-respect-aside-against-couture-at-ufc-129.mma

Machida talks about his upcoming fight to Randy

Whiteness
04-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Gonna be a real fun card to watch.

rooting for/banking on:
Shields
Aldo Jr
The Janitor
Machida
Diaz

dkmwise
04-29-2011, 04:49 PM
Also I think once you've been champion for a while it's easy to get a little complacent (although Georges has yet to do this)...

I agree that this could happen with GSP, but if you watch the UFC primetime show you can see that it hasn't happened yet. GSP's training is insane. GSP has the benefit of being able to train with a lot of Canadian olympians in areas of wrestling, track and field, and gymnastics, and becuase of his status and money he is able to travel and train with Freddy Roach and train at multiple Gracie academies.

Jackass18
04-29-2011, 06:56 PM
Remember that they moved the PPV up an hour. I think the prelims on facebook start at 6 PM ET tomorrow.

MeloMike
04-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Go:
GSP
Hominick
Brilz
Randy
Diaz

Obviously Shields has to be able to take GSP down. Koscheck did it a couple of times (at least once) I believe, so it may happen.

If not, forget about it. GSP will jab him to death :lol

And I know Hominick has merely a punchers chance, but he's a Canadian so I have to root for him.

Godzuki
04-30-2011, 01:54 PM
the previews show GSP is taking this fight for real. he implied something like he can't coast like he has his last few fights, against an opponent like Shields. thats some disrespect right there to his recent opponents :lol

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Well, Kos is a douche and deserves disrespect while Hardy wasn't worthy of his title shot.

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 06:11 PM
Just a reminder that prelims are live on facebook right now.

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Oh shit on that KO

Skywalker
04-30-2011, 07:04 PM
nvm got it

has makdessi fought yet

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Some quick fights.

$LakerGold
04-30-2011, 07:14 PM
WTF, there showing it really late here.

Undercard matches didnt event start yet!

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 07:14 PM
has makdessi fought yet

Yeah, my "Oh shit on that KO" comment was about his fight.

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 07:15 PM
WTF, there showing it really late here.

Undercard matches didnt event start yet!

The Spike prelims begin at 8 ET, but the others started at 6 ET on facebook.

Skywalker
04-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Yeah, my "Oh shit on that KO" comment was about his fight.

damn he's gonna be sick

Skywalker
04-30-2011, 07:21 PM
bonnar sounds drunk lmao

"MARK HOMANYE"

Mr. Grieves
04-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Anyone know where I can watch this when the main card starts? I use to use atdhe.net but the feds got it.

Brujesino
04-30-2011, 08:10 PM
http://www.soccertvlive.net/watch/62067/1/watch-ufc-129-:-st-pierre-vs-shields.html

Jake Ellenberger just won:rockon:

Lets go Nate "209" Diaz!!!

Edit- use this link

http://www.soccertvlive.net/watch/62067/2/watch-ufc-129-:-st-pierre-vs-shields.html

Reef
04-30-2011, 08:23 PM
Sick fight coming up. Hope MacDonald beats Diaz.

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 08:25 PM
Let's go MacDonald

Brujesino
04-30-2011, 08:36 PM
:oldlol: the fans are chanting "**** you diaz"

diaz calls him a ***** for walking back too much

Brujesino
04-30-2011, 08:39 PM
Let's go MacDonald
Hater

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Yeah, I don't like the Diaz bros.

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Slammed the shit out of him

Reef
04-30-2011, 08:44 PM
Nate getting tossed around like a ragdoll! :lol

Rysio
04-30-2011, 08:45 PM
holy shit !!!!!

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 08:47 PM
Rory 30-27

Brujesino
04-30-2011, 08:48 PM
3rd round was good, the first 2 he just ran and kicked.Good win though.

prodnus
04-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeah, I don't like the Diaz bros.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/9943/n218915389018932234203.jpg

209 mother****er

heyhey
04-30-2011, 08:53 PM

209 mother****er
:bowdown: diaz bros fan always

anyone else see the bacne on Rory? proactiv spokesperson in 2 years for sure

$LakerGold
04-30-2011, 08:54 PM
3 German suplex in a row son!!! rory macdonald holy shit!

as I type this, jason macdonald just pulled off a triangle..

H*** SHIT!

Mr. Grieves
04-30-2011, 09:01 PM
War (Rory) MacDonald for life. Future #1 contender, even though he just started training with the champ lol.

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 09:02 PM

209 mother****er

30-26 mother****er

Brujesino
04-30-2011, 09:11 PM
30-26 mother****er
wrong diaz mother****er

EricGordon23
04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
any1 got a stream?

$LakerGold
04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
wrong diaz mother****er
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

$LakerGold
04-30-2011, 09:18 PM
any1 got a stream?
Nope.... I really love my military life, they support pay-per-view whahahaha

Brujesino
04-30-2011, 09:20 PM
any1 got a stream?
http://www.soccertvlive.net/watch/62067/2/watch-ufc-129-:-st-pierre-vs-shields.html

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 09:23 PM
I hope the judges didn't give that round to Bocek.

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 09:24 PM
wrong diaz mother****er

He was there watching his brother getting slammed on his face, mother****er.

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 09:35 PM
They can't rob Henderson...

prodnus
04-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Bendo would be such a beast if he could defend takedowns better.

Brujesino
04-30-2011, 09:49 PM
He was there watching his brother getting slammed on his face, mother****er.
Nate diaz suffered a seizure back stage,mother****er.Must of been those slams

Brujesino
04-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Big Vlad:rockon:

Patrick Chewing
Go grab a beer and...fights over

prodnus
Russia FTW

I love his non sponsored hat and shirt that doesn't have a bunch of skulls and angels.

IcanzIIravor
04-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Vlad cracked him good. Excellent finish.

IcanzIIravor
04-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Damn step away to do work and another fight is over.

$LakerGold
04-30-2011, 10:03 PM
damn was hoping for a insuguri kick :lol

enzugiri

$LakerGold
04-30-2011, 10:05 PM
damn, first time i've seen flying triangle. :oldlol:

perfect execution, although i was goin for the black dude... (taped match)

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 10:06 PM

Get him some weed and he'll be alright. Oh yeah, mother****er.

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Couture is going to get sent to the retirement home unless he has some tricks up his sleeve.

$LakerGold
04-30-2011, 10:09 PM

4 real? damn..... how come it aint on twitter

$LakerGold
04-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Couture is going to get sent to the retirement home unless he has some tricks up his sleeve.

Dontt worry bruh, he got this under control.

THIS IS THE FIGHT IVE BEEN WAITING FOR , SHIT!

Brujesino
04-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Lyoto gonna win this

$LakerGold
04-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Ugh... his entrance is so dramatic.. cmon RANDY!!

DropStep
04-30-2011, 10:16 PM
Ben Henderson has the dream body... no homo.

This is Machida's fight to lose.

IcanzIIravor
04-30-2011, 10:17 PM
I'm rooting for Machida in this fight. No offense to Randy.

redhonda76
04-30-2011, 10:24 PM
Lyoto Round 1

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 10:25 PM
Oh shit!!!!!!!!

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Seagal just jizzed his pants

MeloMike
04-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Holy ****ing shit what a kick!

Maybe Seagal...nah it can't be :oldlol:

IcanzIIravor
I had to jump up from my seat for that one. Go Lyoto and I applaud Randy for his career.

DropStep
Steven Segal strikes again. Once Steven is in your corner your getting a front kick to the face.

Brujesino
04-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Crane kick :rockon:

Patrick Chewing
04-30-2011, 10:29 PM
Seagal teaching these kids how it's done

MeloMike
04-30-2011, 10:30 PM
Jesus Christ Randy's ears.

What a legend though. 47 years old in there, damn. Much respect.

blacknapalm
04-30-2011, 10:30 PM
seagal :lol wtf man

i think that kick was stylistically nicer than AS's though...that was sick

redhonda76
04-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Wow... Awesome front kick from Lyoto. Even if it wasnt a KO, Randy was totally neutralized and can't do a damn thing to Lyoto.

$LakerGold
04-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Omg, this is very emotional for me..

Lyotto shoulder faked and faked the back kick and pulled off a flying kick. :applause:

But damn, Last Fight for Couture. :applause: :applause: :applause:

$LakerGold
04-30-2011, 10:35 PM
I know Mr. Miyagi will be proud. hahaha

DropStep
04-30-2011, 10:35 PM
What a card so far.

Flying triangles,spinning backfist knockout,flying front kick knockouts. I guess they are trying to compensate for the lay n pray or jab fest we are possibly in for.

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Scarface flying knee KO

MeloMike
04-30-2011, 11:02 PM
Hominick doing decent on his feet....*edit* til about 1:30 of rd 3 lol

Aldo doing just enough on the ground to make me not consider this lay and pray.

Only hope for Hominick is if Aldo gasses completely.

MeloMike
04-30-2011, 11:12 PM
The bump on his forehead :eek:

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Hominick is growing a boob on his forehead

$LakerGold
04-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Damn!!! What Caused It!!

Godzuki
04-30-2011, 11:15 PM
thats disgusting.

blacknapalm
04-30-2011, 11:15 PM
'everything looks good' bwahah

MeloMike
04-30-2011, 11:19 PM
Holy shit. Taking it to him.

So proud of my fellow Canadian. What a warrior.

Patrick Chewing
04-30-2011, 11:20 PM
If that shit pops, get the mops out

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 11:21 PM
Nice heart to comeback and win a round at the end.

Patrick Chewing
04-30-2011, 11:22 PM
Wow!!!

blacknapalm
04-30-2011, 11:22 PM
wowowow....hominic throwing bombs looking like sloth from the goonies :banana:

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 11:23 PM
Why the **** is Goldie acting like this fight is close?

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 11:23 PM
50-43? What?

MeloMike
04-30-2011, 11:24 PM
50-43? What?

Trivial. But yeah, what the ****.

blacknapalm
04-30-2011, 11:27 PM
50-43 means that the judge had two rounds to aldo at 10-8. pretty crazy

MeloMike
04-30-2011, 11:27 PM
50-43 means that the judge had two rounds to aldo at 10-8. pretty crazy

And didn't give the 5th to Hominick.

blacknapalm
04-30-2011, 11:29 PM

yep, totally doesn't add up. was it cecil peoples? oh well..

blacknapalm
04-30-2011, 11:31 PM
was there an extra fight on this card? card is going long even with the early start. ufc probably went early for those east coasters, i actually prefer the old time

IcanzIIravor
04-30-2011, 11:31 PM

Judge needs to be canned for not giving Hominick the last round. Looked like Aldo took it off to balance his checkbook or something.

MeloMike
04-30-2011, 11:32 PM
yep, totally doesn't add up. was it cecil peoples? oh well..

Yeah purely trivial. It was Douglas Crosby.

MeloMike
04-30-2011, 11:33 PM
Judge needs to be canned for not giving Hominick the last round. Looked like Aldo took it off to balance his checkbook or something.

Yeah it was sad to see the guy not get his round that he deserved. Ultimately meaningless, but still disappointing.

God how I want to for once see a finish in a GSP fight.

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 11:33 PM
was there an extra fight on this card? card is going long even with the early start. ufc probably went early for those east coasters, i actually prefer the old time

Yep, they moved it up so the east coasters don't have to stay up to 1 am.

IcanzIIravor
04-30-2011, 11:37 PM
Goooo Shields.

Jackass18
04-30-2011, 11:38 PM
Apparently, the scorecard was tallied incorrectly, and it wasn't 50-43, but 48-45 instead.

Brujesino
sheilds is gonna take this

phelix2000
FirstRowSports has working links

MeloMike
04-30-2011, 11:40 PM
Big time GSP fan, but something inside me wants Shields to win just to see what would happen.

TMac&Luther
04-30-2011, 11:44 PM
DOES ANYBODY HAVE A WORKING LINK TO THIS FIGHT!... please help. :( I lost my connection.

SourPatchKids
04-30-2011, 11:46 PM
Machida = The Karate Kid. :bowdown:

Brujesino
04-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Sheilds looks terrible:oldlol: Still want him to win for some reason

TMac&Luther
04-30-2011, 11:51 PM
nvm found one.

SourPatchKids
04-30-2011, 11:52 PM
http://www.firstrowsports.com/watch/62067/1/watch-ufc-129-:-st-pierre-vs-shields.html

Prodigy
04-30-2011, 11:52 PM
nvm found one.

Can you pm link please?

SourPatchKids
04-30-2011, 11:54 PM
It doesn't seem possible to take down GSP.

IcanzIIravor
04-30-2011, 11:54 PM
jake shields kicks look bad :lol

It's going to be a long night for Jake if he doesn't get Georges on the ground.

blacknapalm
04-30-2011, 11:59 PM
shields isn't even trying to clinch :wtf:

MeloMike
04-30-2011, 11:59 PM
This isn't even close. Georges wont take a risk, and Shields can't secure a takedown.

STATUTORY
05-01-2011, 12:02 AM
so Georges St. Pierre said don't BLINK, Imma knock him out!

:roll: :roll:

Patrick Chewing
05-01-2011, 12:03 AM
These GSP fights can be boring

MeloMike
05-01-2011, 12:04 AM

So very frustrating to watch.

blacknapalm
05-01-2011, 12:05 AM
shields is not even countering those overhand rights. dude, throw a knee or something

STATUTORY
05-01-2011, 12:05 AM

Georges. St. Pierre should change his nickname from Rush to Georges One Overhand right every 1.4 minutes st. pierre

can't wait for Nick Diaz to tune this fool up

blacknapalm
05-01-2011, 12:07 AM
prime example of why gsp fights can be so boring. shields was stunned and gsp didn't go finish him. gsp is just too conservative, he'd rather go five rounds than take a risk

IcanzIIravor
05-01-2011, 12:10 AM
This will cure insomnia

blacknapalm
05-01-2011, 12:11 AM
shields just can't get gsp out of his gameplan. you need to be an elite counter striker with combos and athlete to take on gsp. gsp just won't make critical mistakes. man, i seriously am almost nodding off :oldlol:

STATUTORY
05-01-2011, 12:12 AM
even the canadian fans are losing their patience.

we blinking Georges. We blinking :roll: :roll:

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 12:13 AM
GSP's going to get plenty of criticism for this fight.

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 12:14 AM
this was a joke of a fight, worse the Anderson Silva vs Mia

MeloMike
GSP's going to get plenty of criticism for this fight.

And it will be well deserved. There's fighting smart, and there's fighting like a biatch. After that head kick, he should have been all over him.

He wants to be the greatest ever, start finishing people. Sure winning all those rounds in a row is impressive, but finishing people is more impressive.

blacknapalm
shields is too nice a guy to root against. overall = zzzz

shields can't combo. gsp was primed for a combo after that right

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 12:15 AM
I bet he says something like, 'I could not see out of one eye, so I got cautious after that'.

Godzuki
what a let down fight. Shields was way overhyped.

RedBlackAttack
That fight was awful.

DropStep
Just as I expected from a GSP fight, point jabbing. I guess its not his fault fully either shields looked lost out there.

Still one of the best cards of MMA i have ever seen. I heard the bonuses are $140,000 each.

IcanzIIravor
05-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Battled my ass. This looked like a sparring match of two guys preparing for a fight not fighting each other. GSP did enough for the win.

50-45?

STATUTORY
I tried blinking but the fight just wouldn't end. :confusedshrug:

you think Diaz would ever get bood at the 209?

at least now we get clear path to Diaz vs. GSP. Nick's gonna pressure GSP

MeloMike
I had 49-46. I'm glad the judges gave a few rounds to Shields.

Jackass18
Wow, I'm surprised at 2 48-47s.

blacknapalm
05-01-2011, 12:17 AM
gsp looked concerned when buffer said 48-47 :oldlol:

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 12:18 AM
Nick Diaz #1 Welterweight

STATUTORY
05-01-2011, 12:19 AM
Two fighters who their strategies are only about winning = a boring, conservative fight

The contender has to do more to win, and Shields didn't.

GSP "p4p most rounded MMA figther" not being to KO James shields after 15 minutes of standup is the joke of the fight

MeloMike
That's about the 4th time in a row GSP has appologized after a fight. DONT BE SORRY, JUST FINISH SOMEONE!

Jackass18
Awesome event although the ME was a letdown.

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 12:20 AM

in Strikeforce!

MeloMike
05-01-2011, 12:20 AM

I want to see that fight.

Diaz would take it right to GSP, and has good BJJ off his back.

pauk
05-01-2011, 12:21 AM
told u.... just another punching bag for GSP... nothing else... its impossible to beat GSP... unless you have a weapon.... he is like the perfect antidote for any fighters strongest strength..... attacking your weakness....

next..........?

RedBlackAttack
05-01-2011, 12:21 AM
If this were boxing, people would be shouting, "This is why boxing is dying... letdowns like that." I don't agree... Just as I don't agree when people say it about boxing. It was still a very good event.

But, let's face it... a lot of people were paying for the main event... And that was really bad.

STATUTORY
05-01-2011, 12:22 AM
I want to see that fight.

Diaz would take it right to GSP, and has good BJJ off his back.

GSP don't want Diaz on the feet. how do you lose 2 rounds to James Shields in a standup battle? :roll:

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 12:23 AM
If this were boxing, people would be shouting, "This is why boxing is dying... letdowns like that." I don't agree... Just as I don't agree when people say it about boxing. It was still a very good event.

But, let's face it... a lot of people were paying for the main event... And that was really bad.
If you keep up with MMA,you would hear a bunch of people say this is why MMA isnt more popular or has already peaked.Lots of people say it.

STATUTORY
05-01-2011, 12:23 AM

trust me. Most mma fans are really tired of GSP's act. this is the 5th time he's apologized in the cage after the fight. GSP is the Goat apologizer

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 12:24 AM
in Strikeforce!
Go ahead and praise your boring ass wrestlers.

MeloMike
05-01-2011, 12:24 AM
GSP don't want Diaz on the feet. how do you lose 2 rounds to James Shields in a standup battle? :roll:

Precisely why I want to see the fight.

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Blame Shields. He didn't come at him and all he could do was a bunch of jabs.

GSP did what he has to do, winning. KO is an extra.
Blame Shields?:oldlol:

STATUTORY
05-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Blame Shields. He didn't come at him and all he could do was a bunch of jabs.

GSP did what he has to do, winning. KO is an extra.

when you get boo'd in TORONTO and you are GSP. you know you fvcked up.

and James Shield inflicted more damage. Would have won in PRIDE :oldlol: :oldlol:

suck it GSP fanboys

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Shields has only been finished once and that was 11 years ago, but I would have liked to have seen GSP go after it or at least look like he was trying to finish. I'm guessing that his next fight will be against someone like Anderson Silva or Nick Diaz where a 5 round decision isn't very likely or at least would be much more entertaining.

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 12:29 AM
Go ahead and praise your boring ass wrestlers.

Rankings aren't based off of who has the more entertaining fights.

STATUTORY
05-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Again, blame Shields. GSP is still #1 P4P.
http://chatroulettegifs.com/black_guys_laughing.gif

Shields won via damages

IcanzIIravor
05-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Shields should have known by round 2 what GSP is planning to do and should have attacked more aggressively. Yet, he just did the same takedown attempt that GSP easily dodged and a bunch of jabs GSP was willing to take. Plus, he got a big head kick that could have ended the fight if GSP chose to.

I think most people just want to see GSP open it up some. He had some opportunities to aggressively go after Shields when he had the chance and instead seemed content. No doubt he won, but that type of fighting is not going to be popular no matter how dominant you are.

RedBlackAttack
05-01-2011, 12:34 AM
Shields should have known by round 2 what GSP is planning to do and should have attacked more aggressively. Yet, he just did the same takedown attempt that GSP easily dodged and a bunch of jabs GSP was willing to take. Plus, he got a big head kick that could have ended the fight if GSP chose to.

Meh, I'm not sure if it is fair to blame Shields. GSP did what he had to do to get the win, but I don't like to see fighters be THAT defensive. He was pretty clearly extremely mindful of Shields' takedowns, which is why he was backing up for the majority of the fight and not committing to his punches/kicks.

Don't get me wrong... He is a hell of a fighter and very well rounded, so he can afford to do away with his grappling/ground game. Shields obviously cannot.

But, at the end of the day, what I saw were too fighters who -- out of caution -- were forced to fight the entire bout doing things that aren't exactly their strong suits. Shields only took one or two shots and didn't commit to one, but that is because GSP was staying out of range and only connecting with a couple of decent punches a round.

Basically, by being so cautious, it made two great fighters look pretty bad. If you knew nothing about GSP going into that fight, no way would you think that -- afterward -- he is regarded as one of the two best fighters in the world.

I would have liked to see GSP actually challenge Shields' wrestling ability to show how great he really is, but I guess he just isn't that kind of risk-taker.

STATUTORY
05-01-2011, 12:34 AM
so GSP said before the fight.

don't BLINK. Imma knock him out...

at least Diaz vs. gsp will be good cause Nick is relentless

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 12:36 AM

In some rounds Sheilds wanst even looking for a takedown, even started taunting him to fight him.GSP just jabbed,leg kicked and missed a over hand right over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Everyone knew GSP had a GIGANTIC advantage over sheilds in the stand up and sheilds inflicted more damage are you kidding me? really? come on.

The head kick could have ended the fight if he chose to.That is laugh out loud material right that.

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 12:37 AM
Rankings aren't based off of who has the more entertaining fights.
no they arent but Nick Diaz #1

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 12:40 AM
GSP didnt even have to finish the fight, he just had to make it look like he wanted to but he cant even do that.

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 12:40 AM

Shields won via damages

Retard

RedBlackAttack
05-01-2011, 12:41 AM
In some rounds Sheilds wanst even looking for a takedown
Shields was constantly looking for the takedown throughout the entire fight, with the exception, perhaps, of the last minute or so when he clearly just needed to land something big. Just because a guy isn't shooting doesn't mean that he isn't looking for it. The best grapplers are able to shoot from a variety of angles and out-of-nowhere to catch opponents off-guard.

The fact is, GSP fought defensively and he was never really in range for a takedown. The only chances Shields had at getting GSP to the ground were when he caught his kicks and GSP is too strong to be taken to the mat with that high single.

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 12:44 AM
In some rounds Sheilds wanst even looking for a takedown, even started taunting him to fight him.GSP just jabbed,leg kicked and missed a over hand right over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Everyone knew GSP had a GIGANTIC advantage over sheilds in the stand up and sheilds inflicted more damage are you kidding me? really? come on.

The head kick could have ended the fight if he chose to.That is laugh out loud material right that.

GSP plays it safe, but it's not like Shields is easy to finish. Just ask Hendo.

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 12:47 AM
It sucks that some will focus on the crappy ME and forget how good the rest of the event was.

kingmob
05-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Why the **** is GSP is so boring? Everytime i see him fight, I want to take a nap.

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Enough about boring GSP

Whos KO was better Anderson Silva on Vitor Belfort or Lyoto on Couture?

I have to go with Silvas due to devastation but lyoto's had more style.

STATUTORY
05-01-2011, 12:57 AM
Enough about boring GSP

Whos KO was better Anderson Silva on Vitor Belfort or Lyoto on Couture?

I have to go with Silvas due to devastation but lyoto's had more style.

Lyoto's flying kick was :bowdown: :bowdown: a CRANE kick! come on man. Seeing couture lying on his back was a little sad though, even though it's happened several times now. Glad he's retired.

what's the more :rolleyes: injury? Lebron's elbow or GSP's eyelid?

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Lyoto's flying kick was :bowdown: :bowdown: a CRANE kick! come on man. Seeing couture lying on his back was a little sad though, even though it's happened several times now. Glad he's retired.

what's the more :rolleyes: injury? Lebron's elbow or GSP's eyelid?
Iam not that big a fan of couture so it didnt sadden me to see him ko'd iam a fan of Vitor so ya felt really bad.

Also you can see the damage on gsp's eye so lebrons was way more:rolleyes:

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 01:03 AM
http://www.abload.de/img/silva_belfort23og6.gif[/URL]

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/machida.gif

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 01:05 AM
Nick Diaz should have went in the cage and said, "I am not impressed with your performance," to GSP.

GSP gets a lot of blame, but it also seems that his opponents are content with merely surviving against him for 5 rounds. What risks did Shields take?

Oh, and Machida's kick was better.

STATUTORY
05-01-2011, 01:08 AM
different camera angle of the kick

http://www.pohrani.com/f/42/gv/3vqiZibw/seagal-kick.gif

check out that slight feint by machida before he commits with his right leg. that's karate boys

anyone goet the gifs of the Mcdonald slams yet?

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 01:15 AM
Nick Diaz should have went in the cage and said, "I am not impressed with your performance," to GSP.

GSP gets a lot of blame, but it also seems that his opponents are content with merely surviving against him for 5 rounds. What risks did Shields take?

Nick would have started a brawl

He stood with him and taunted him, thats a pretty big risk.

IcanzIIravor
05-01-2011, 01:23 AM

Anderson's kick had me going what the fewk just happened?!?! Machida's had me out of my chair going 'holy fewk!' So I have to go with Machida's. :lol I have never been Machida's biggest fan, but I am happy for him. I want the demon's of that behind whooping he got from Shogun slain for good and I think this went a long way towards ending his doubts.

prodnus
05-01-2011, 01:27 AM
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/3230/machidakaratekid.png

:cheers:

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 01:46 AM
Nick would have started a brawl

He stood with him and taunted him, thats a pretty big risk.

I think that lackluster ME could have used something at the end like Anderson or Nick challenging him or something.

He didn't have a choice but to stand with him and taunting someone isn't risky especially GSP, who isn't going to play those games.

Stinky Dog
05-01-2011, 01:52 AM
missed the fights but came to eat crow. after reading the play by play gsp proved once again that hes maybe the P4P king.

was there an announcement of diaz vs gsp??

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 02:07 AM
No. Rogan asked GSP about the possibility of fighting Anderson if he beats Okami, and GSP was very noncommittal like usual.

I hope you didn't lose too much $ on Shields.

vinsane01
05-01-2011, 02:22 AM
With the exception of the main event, this was a great mma event. By the end of the 3rd i was already expecting a unanimous decision victory by St.pierre and an apology for not finishing the fight. Basically the strategy was jab jab the first few minutes and then try to catch him with an overhand right, do some fancy spinning back kicks and do some takedowns to win rounds. Cant say he didnt try to finish. If he caught shields with a solid overhand punch, it would have been over. But Georges didnt try hard enough maybe it was because of the eye but i think even if he had good vision, it still would have gone the distance.

Also there was some bad judging that happened, it didnt affect the outcome but still it was IMO bizarre to give St.Pierre a 50-45. He got out jabbed in rounds 4 and 5. In round 3 shields got taken down and got dropped by a head kick. 1 and 2 was won by st.pierre. It was a 48-47 IMO which the 2 other judges got. In the aldo fight, one judge gave aldo a 50-43 win. I wonder what fight he was watching. If there was ever a time to give a 10-8 round it was the 5th round of that fight. Aldo got beaten up by hominick in that last round. The proper score IMO is 48-46.

Great event though. Machida's front kick ala karate kid crane kick was amazing. One of the best KO's ever!

Stinky Dog
05-01-2011, 02:45 AM
No. Rogan asked GSP about the possibility of fighting Anderson if he beats Okami, and GSP was very noncommittal like usual.

I hope you didn't lose too much $ on Shields.
Just a cool hundo to mac mac and some peanuts on one of the gambling sites i frequent. I never bet more than a very small portion of my bankroll especially on a 4-1 dog. Very disappointed Shields lost but he'll bounce back. I like GSP and have tremendous respect for him but he does somewhat bore me as a fighter. He's extremely disciplined almost to a fault, in the end of the day it's a fight and it's nice to see guys try and finish it versus guys who are content with riding out a decision victory. I'd really like to see him move up in weight and take on Anderson Silva because there isn't many challenges left for him but at the same time he is the King of his weight class and will be giving up a lot of size @ 185 while so much of his game relies on being bigger or as big as his opponents, so I don't blame him at all for staying put.

Some guys don't care about legacies, belts, any of that stuff they are in it for the challenge.

What happened in the Aldo fight? Did he wear down at the end?

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 02:57 AM
Jake Shields out struck GSP 96-92 and did more damage.Wow

Stinky Dog
05-01-2011, 02:58 AM
Jake Shields out struck GSP 96-92 and did more damage.Wow
I heard he looked better at the end of the fight as well.

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 03:02 AM
I heard he looked better at the end of the fight as well.
yes and GSP did go to the hospital as well as Randy Couture i heard he lost a tooth.Havent read anything on hominick yet but iam sure he had to go.

Stinky Dog
05-01-2011, 03:03 AM
yes and GSP did go to the hospital as well as Randy Couture i heard he lost a tooth.Havent read anything on hominick yet but iam sure he had to go.
Would Hominick have beaten Aldo if the fight continued?

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 03:15 AM
Would Hominick have beaten Aldo if the fight continued?
oh i dont know thats tough.

Aldo looked tired in the 5th.Hominick was motivated but damn his face was jacked up if he took one more clean shot they would have stopped the fight.

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 03:43 AM
What happened in the Aldo fight? Did he wear down at the end?

Apparently, he had a really difficult weight cut. He was at the Q&A yesterday, but he left early because he was feeling lightheaded. He wore down in the fight, but he didn't get into any trouble until the 5th round. Hominick took him down and Aldo spent the entire round on his back unable to do anything. And, as Brujesino stated, Hominick's face was busted up. A busted up eye, a lot of blood and a huge hematoma on his forehead.

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 03:47 AM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/192307/untitled2.jpg

I found a pic from the Machida/Couture fight:

http://i53.tinypic.com/16aa9l0.jpg

DeronMillsap
05-01-2011, 10:37 AM
That bump on Hominick's head was disgusting. I can't believe he went the whole distance in the match.

In the GSP-Shields match, I thought GSP won the first 2 rounds and Shields won the 5th round. The 3rd and 4th was a toss up to me but I'm leaning towards GSP because he had a take-down in the 3rd. If Shields would have been as aggressive in the first 2 rounds as he was the last 2 then we would have had a new Welterweight champion.

Oh, and :bowdown: the Crane Kick...

heyhey
05-01-2011, 10:39 AM
That bump on Hominick's head was disgusting. I can't believe he went the whole distance in the match.

In the GSP-Shields match, I thought GSP won the first 2 rounds and Shields won the 5th round. The 3rd and 4th was a toss up to me but I'm leaning towards GSP because he had a take-down in the 3rd. If Shields would have been as aggressive in the first 2 rounds as he was the last 2 then we would have had a new Welterweight champion.

Oh, and :bowdown: the Crane Kick...

watch the fight witht the commentary off. I thought Shields won the last two rounds for sure and 3rd was a draw.

compubox and fightmetric back that up too. GSp was hugely dissapointing

BRabbiT
05-01-2011, 11:26 AM

:lol

IcanzIIravor
05-01-2011, 01:34 PM
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/192307/untitled2.jpg

:lol

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 04:08 PM
watch the fight witht the commentary off. I thought Shields won the last two rounds for sure and 3rd was a draw.

compubox and fightmetric back that up too.

Liar, fightmetric says 49-46 GSP over Shields, and compustrike doesn't score fights. You'd have to be trollin' to think that fight was a draw. GSP took him down and dropped him in the 4th round, so how did Shields win that round?

jamal99
05-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Yep, they moved it up so the east coasters don't have to stay up to 1 am.
And it's good for me :D
It used to start at 4 am here, now starts at 3 :banana:

heyhey
05-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Liar, fightmetric says 49-46 GSP over Shields, and compustrike doesn't score fights. You'd have to be trollin' to think that fight was a draw. GSP took him down and dropped him in the 4th round, so how did Shields win that round?

maybe my hate for gsp is clouding my thinking. :confusedshrug:

fightmetric says shields outstruck GSP. 1st round was close, shields was aggressive but not wholly effective. 4th round GSP had that kick but very timid afterwards. it was still a close round. 5th I thought shields took it.

my point was the fight was closer than what rogan would had you believing. not that shields won. but people surprised that Shields didn't get shut out on the judges card was ridiculous

Jackass18
05-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Shields won the 5th, but the fight wasn't really close. Oddly enough, Shields did do better than GSP after the headkick.

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Day after the event,GSP is still boring and Diaz is #1.Jake Shields caused more damage in the stand up:oldlol:

Godzuki
05-01-2011, 06:03 PM
the fight i saw Shields was punching at air 95% of the fight, and GSP executed his boring safe style ftw

Reef
05-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Day after the event,GSP is still boring and Diaz is #1.Jake Shields caused more damage in the stand up:oldlol:

In Strikeforce. He should stay there if he knows what's good for him.

Brujesino
05-01-2011, 06:56 PM
In Strikeforce. He should stay there if he knows what's good for him.
Ya i but he would hate the dry humping Fitch,Kos and GSP would try to give him.

i should re phrase it too.Nick Diaz #1 FIGHTER in the welterweight division.

jamal99
05-02-2011, 09:51 PM
I really hope fight between GSP and Diaz happens so GSP can school him and you stop talking nonsense...

Brujesino
05-02-2011, 10:00 PM
I really hope fight between GSP and Diaz happens so GSP can school him and you stop talking nonsense...
......GSP would get killed......

Jackass18
05-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Nick Diaz doesn't deserve a title shot. Let him earn it like everyone else (well, aside from Hardy, who didn't earn it).

Qwyjibo
05-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Smart fight by GSP. No need to take any big risks vs a guy who is as useless on his feet like Shields is. Swinging for the fences and giving Shields openings for possible takedowns is exactly what he shouldn't have done. That dirty eye-poke didn't help things either. I always thought Shields was one of the few respectable things to come out of that Gracie camp but I guess being an idiot and/or dirty is a running trait there.

Brujesino
05-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Smart fight by GSP. No need to take any big risks vs a guy who is as useless on his feet like Shields is. Swinging for the fences and giving Shields openings for possible takedowns is exactly what he shouldn't have done. That dirty eye-poke didn't help things either. I always thought Shields was one of the few respectable things to come out of that Gracie camp but I guess being an idiot and/or dirty is a running trait there.
What?You just said Jake Shields is useless on his feet so you should know that he throws his punches like a little girl.He didnt intentionally eye poke him the simple answer is he doesnt know how to throw a punch.Not dirty.By the way Jake Shields did equal damage to GSP in the stand up lol.

Edit
http://mmaaddicts.com/dann/ufc-121/martin-kampmann-jake-shields-1.jpg

Reef
05-02-2011, 11:23 PM
......GSP would get killed......

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

GSP will destroy him just like Rory did with Nate, tossing his weak ass around. How is Diaz going to stop a takedown? Let him stay in UFC Jr. where he can fight all the non-wrestlers he wants.

Qwyjibo
05-02-2011, 11:24 PM
http://www.mmatko.com/georges-st-pierre-getting-poked-in-the-eye-by-jake-shields-slow-mo-video/

Not even the most amateurish fighter in the world would be trying to "strike" with an open hand like that. It was dirty.

Reef
05-02-2011, 11:26 PM
What?You just said Jake Shields is useless on his feet so you should know that he throws his punches like a little girl.He didnt intentionally eye poke him the simple answer is he doesnt know how to throw a punch.Not dirty.By the way Jake Shields did equal damage to GSP in the stand up lol.

Edit
http://mmaaddicts.com/dann/ufc-121/martin-kampmann-jake-shields-1.jpg

Yet GSP was never in danger of losing while fighting with one eye, while Shields got knocked down and staggered a couple of times.

Brujesino
05-02-2011, 11:37 PM
http://www.mmatko.com/georges-st-pierre-getting-poked-in-the-eye-by-jake-shields-slow-mo-video/

Not even the most amateurish fighter in the world would be trying to "strike" with an open hand like that. It was dirty.
Yes lots of people throw open handed strikes,its to find your range its happened many time before and many times before it ended with a eye poke.Its not uncommon.

http://i51.tinypic.com/175y0l.jpg

I guess he was trying to poke him there too right?Dude is just a bad striker plain and simple.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2r7lsvk.jpg
Look at it again even when he backs up he has his head way back and just leaves his arm up WITH A OPEN HAND.He is just terrible very very terrible.

Brujesino
05-02-2011, 11:42 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

GSP will destroy him just like Rory did with Nate, tossing his weak ass around. How is Diaz going to stop a takedown? Let him stay in UFC Jr. where he can fight all the non-wrestlers he wants.

I will give you Diaz losing to GSP as long as you give me that George "Safety First" St.Pierre would never ever ever try something that can be remotely exciting or doing a high risk maneuver such as the one rory pulled on nate.

Yet GSP was never in danger of losing while fighting with one eye, while Shields got knocked down and staggered a couple of times.

True,but it only makes it a more pathetic showing by GSP.