PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the best NBA point guards, summer of 2011

insidehoops
07-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Over the next few days, let's rank the top 10 point guards in the NBA.

Let's rank them in terms of going into the 2011-12 season. So, think towards the future. The young guys should improve a little. The old guys will decline slightly.

I'll toss some obvious names out, in no particular order.

Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, Rajon Rondo, Russell Westbrook, Tony Parker, Jameer Nelson, Jason Kidd, Mike Conley, Steve Nash, Stephen Curry, Brandon Jennings, John Wall, Darren Collison, Rodney Stuckey, Jose Calderon, Raymond Felton, Chauncey Billups, Devin Harris (I think of him as a SG, but he still does play PG), Kyle Lowry, Andre Miller, DJ Augustin, Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson.

And then rookie Kyrie Irving, who played just 11 college games.

And for fun, feel free to include a one-liner on each player that SPECIFICALLY states what makes that point guard special.

Also, always think both offense and defense. Defense counts just as much!

28renyoy
07-01-2011, 03:19 PM
1. CP3
2. Williams
3. Rose
4. Westbrook
5. Nash
6. Rondo
7. Parker
8. Curry
9. Billups
10. Miller

Grinder
07-01-2011, 03:39 PM
1. Chris Paul - he's shown what he can do when he's healthy and it was on full display against the Lakers. Excellent shooter, ball-handler, court vision, and defense
2. Derrick Rose - explosiveness, mid range game, and dynamic scoring ability. MVP
3. Deron Williams - excellent court vision, great shooter, and deceptively athletic
4. Rajon Rondo - great defender and passer
5. Steve Nash - elite shooter and court vision
6. Russell Westbrook - explosive athlete, great rebounder, can take over a game, but has poor shot selection and average court vision
7. John Wall - insanely fast and a great passer, can score too...will only get better, wouldn't be surprised if he's as good as Derrick Rose and Westbrook by next year
8. Tony Parker - may be one of the best finishers at his position, average passer, but great in pick and roll situations and creating mismatches
9. Stephen Curry - elite shooter, good scorer, and solid passing ability...can play off the ball as well as on it
10. Jrue Holiday - great defender and size for his position, can defend both the 1 and 2 and is developing into a very good shooter while already possessing good slashing ability

Deadpool
07-01-2011, 03:47 PM
1. C. Paul
2. D. Rose
3. D. Williams
4. R. Rondo
5. S. Nash
6. J. Kidd
7. R. Westbrook
8. T. Parker
9. J. Wall
10. S. Curry

Da Heroic One
07-01-2011, 03:52 PM
1. Chris Paul
2. Derrick Rose
3. Steve Nash
4. Deron Williams
5. Russell Westbrook
6. Rajon Rondo
7. Tony Parker
8. John Wall
9. Jason Kidd
10. Chauncey Billups

rwfletch22
07-01-2011, 03:54 PM
Steve Blake :rockon:

NuggetsFan
07-01-2011, 03:59 PM
CP3 - I think he'll regain some of his '08 form. Arguably best passer in the league, can score in the flow of the game. I think he'll be more aggressive like he use to be.

Deron - Just a step behind CP3. More complete than Rose.

Rose - Best scorer at the position. Seems to improve every year, still don't think he'll eclipse the top two just yet tho.

Westbrook - Rose lite basically. Better defense, less scoring. More raw.

Rondo - I think his playmaking will be up there with Nash\Chris Paul. One of the best defensive guards. Can rebound. His inability to score is what has him drop. Use to be alot higher on Rondo. Wasn't as good defensively this year, maybe why he drops for me going into next year.

Nash - Best shooter at the position. Arguably the best passer. Probably tand I think he might take a tiny spot backwards.

John Wall - Think he'll take another step to his game. Average something like 19\9 or something along those lines. Still have some wholes in his game that will keep him lower on the list for now.

Steph Curry - His passing seems to keep on improving. Best shooter that's not named Steve Nash.

Tony Parker - Scores in the paint. Still an All-Star|Fringe All-Star.

Ty Lawson - This is probably a homer pick. Think he'll have a big year tho. People will list Raymond Felton(who imo Ty is better than and showed it) Chauncey Billups(who I love but Ty was better with his half season starting with the Nuggets than Billups was and Ty will only get better while Billups will continue to probably show his age) and Andre Miller who Ty's going to start over if he stays in Denver. Jrue Holiday probably has just as good of a case being put here tho.

Jrue Holiday, Felton, Billups, Kidd could all probably take the 9th or 10th spot for me. Westbrook|Rondo|Nash aren't really set in stone either, kinda just how they fall with me right now.

OmniStrife
07-01-2011, 04:00 PM
1. Chris Paul (Prototype)
2. Derrick Rose (MVP)
3. Deron Williams (Does everything well)
4. Steve Nash (Elite shooter / playmaker)
5. Rajon Rondo (Defensive force)
6. Russell Westbrook (Rose minus a brain)
7. Jason Kidd (still does everything, just a bit slower)
8. Tony Parker (Penetrator and facilitator)
9. John Wall (Bright future very balanced)
10. Stephen Curry (Elite shooter in the making)

kentatm
07-01-2011, 04:02 PM
wow. I don't see how Kidd is out of the top 10 behind guy like Andre Miller and Jrue Holiday.

Yea he is old as hell but he is an excellent floor general who is deadly from 3 and can defend SGs and SFs that most PGs could never dream of checking.

its not always all about the stats people

Batz
07-01-2011, 04:23 PM
1. Deron Williams - Definately the best all around point guard in the league. He can destroy defenses in so many ways and then hold his own on the other end. Definately for me the complete package as far as a franchise-run point guard.

2. Chris Paul - Don't get me wrong, Paul here is one of my most favorite players, he's the complete package aswell, but with crappy bubble wrap. We saw how late in the Lakers series, he became almost completely ineffective when the LA took away the Hornet's PNR team. He faded and didn't even bother to adjust. A healthy Paul probably would've done better yes, but till I see otherwise, right now he's just not the best point guard in the NBA.

3. Derrick Rose - I placed the MVP, and my top 3 favorite player at 3 simply because I don't believe he's a better point guard when comparing to Deron and Paul. Though I do think he is more dominant, however his defensive short comings, low efficiency, lack of a consistent shooting touch, aswell as an inferior passing skill set when comparing to the two guys above, are the reasons why I put Rose at 3rd place.

4. Steve Nash - I hate putting this guy so low, but his defense is completely atrocious. And I'm Canadian, aswell as a huge Nash fan. An elite shooter, arguably the best, great passer with unique and out of this world court vision and the unmatched durability - puts the old man at 4th place.

5. Russel Westbrook - He definitely, definitely, the best all around player on the list given, definitely the best defender.. He can do just about everything, maybe except shooting threes, but there's also another flaw, his point guard skills. He can pass, but not that well. We saw him exposed in the playoffs continuously, whether it be screwing up the pass or play, or simply not passing/running the play at all. He tries to run the show too much, not that great of a shot selection, and his court vision is noticeably blurred. He's a point guard, but at random times, he's not.

6. Rajan Rondo - Never liked the guy but he's good. Really good defender, unmatched hustle, and play making abilities to the likes of Steve Nash, and doesn't need an offensive system to flourish in, despite what some people try to negatively shove down your throat. Though he does not have a jump shot, nor does he have the free throw touch. Which is a must in a point guard, especially when a jump shot is what holding Rondo from being a poor mans Steve Nash to possibly the best and most unique guard in the league today.

7. Tony Parker - A scoring point guard who still has the traditional point guard skill set in him. I always believed he could've been more than 20/7 type player, even before his 55 point eruption. I don't know why he didn't live up to such potential maybe a more consistent jumper? No one held him back, atleast that's what it seemed. Though a really talented scorer, especially in the paint, 7th place is fitting for a former finals MVP.

8. Jason Kidd - The old man is very underrated. As if he has camouflaged with the hardwood. Still is the same player, just at a much slower pace, minus the scoring - for the greater good. One thing that still stands out about him other than his elite passing ability and sudden shooting touch is his defense. It startles me when I don't see people pointing out that somehow this grandpa is holding his ground against players like Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade. Especially in Finals, I saw him on several possessions make Wade struggle. This guy is still a top 10 point guard for me. And should be for everyone.

9. Chauncey Billups - A healthy Billups can turn a team around, we've all seen it happen, and I do believe it would be the same for knicks. If he didn't make a pullup transition three his #1 move in the arsenal, he could've been higher. But his defense, leadership and clutchness keeps him in my top

10. John Wall - A bright, bright future. Honestly, the guy is experience and a jump shot away from being in the status of the likes of Rose. It's almost undeniable. Though I hate putting him here just out of potential, as you could've put someone like Curry here aswell. I just believe that Wall will infact have a better and more successful career.

Dead Last. Jose Calderon - Seriously sickens me how much this guy sucks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGmOlANxMig
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jn87CTrJUU&NR=1
How the f*ck does that happen? :facepalm

blablabla
07-01-2011, 04:43 PM
cp3
rose
dwill
rajon
nash
westbrook
curry
kidd
wall
parker

PowerGlove
07-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm a big Kidd supporter, but I dont think he's a top 10 PG. Especially if we are supposed to be looking towards the future, as the OP wished for.

dbronx42
07-01-2011, 04:49 PM
1. C. Paul
2. D. Rose
3. D. Williams
4. R. Rondo
5. S. Nash
6. J. Kidd
7. R. Westbrook
8. T. Parker
9. S. Curry
10. Ty Lawson

dee-rose
07-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Chris Paul - perfect mix between scoring and passing, low turnovers, creates extremely well for teammates, and is an amazing defender.
Derrick Rose - takes over games like no other on this list, but needs to improve his passing.
Deron Williams - uses his smarts, isn't the BEST passer, but makes the right play.
Steve Nash - led the league in assist by passing to a bunch of SF's, and is the GOAT shooter.
John Wall - I think he'll be here by seasons end. He's like rookie Derrick Rose, with better passing and defense, but worse scoring.
Stephen Curry - has potential to be one of the GOAT shooters basketball has ever seen, solid passing, great scorer, who I believe will take that "3rd year leap"
Rajon Rondo - one of the most craftiest passers in the L, entertaining to watch, still no jumper, and needs to play more aggressively on a consistent basis.
Westbrook - Will definitely take another step this year towards becoming a pass first PG, extremely explosive, decent outside jumper.
Tony Parker - getting older, but still one of the craftier scorers in the L, was actaully Spurs MVP, not Manu.
Andre Miller - another guy who's getting older, but he's crafty, great in the post, and flat out knows how to run a team.

NugzHeat3
07-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Any list with Rondo above Nash has no credibility.

Doesn't matter if Rondo is better all around. Doesn't matter if Rondo is better defensively to a greater extent than Nash is better offensively.

The main thing you want from your PG is running the offense which Nash does a far better job of.

Rondo isn't anywhere near Paul, Nash, Rose, Williams or even Westbrook.

ballerz
07-01-2011, 08:10 PM
1. Chris Paul - he's shown what he can do when he's healthy and it was on full display against the Lakers. Excellent shooter, ball-handler, court vision, and defense
2. Derrick Rose - explosiveness, mid range game, and dynamic scoring ability. MVP
3. Deron Williams - excellent court vision, great shooter, and deceptively athletic
4. Rajon Rondo - great defender and passer
5. Steve Nash - elite shooter and court vision
6. Russell Westbrook - explosive athlete, great rebounder, can take over a game, but has poor shot selection and average court vision
7. John Wall - insanely fast and a great passer, can score too...will only get better, wouldn't be surprised if he's as good as Derrick Rose and Westbrook by next year
8. Tony Parker - may be one of the best finishers at his position, average passer, but great in pick and roll situations and creating mismatches
9. Stephen Curry - elite shooter, good scorer, and solid passing ability...can play off the ball as well as on it
10. Jrue Holiday - great defender and size for his position, can defend both the 1 and 2 and is developing into a very good shooter while already possessing good slashing ability
Spot on

DMAVS41
07-01-2011, 08:17 PM
1. Paul
2. Williams
3. Nash
4. Rose
5. Westbrook
6. Parker
7. Rondo

After that I really don't know.

alenleomessi
07-01-2011, 08:22 PM
good to see people having wall in their top 10 :cheers:

tpols
07-01-2011, 08:22 PM
1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Derrick Rose
4. Steve Nash
5. Rajon Rondo
6. Russell Westbrook
7. John Wall
8. Tony Parker
9. Stephen Curry
10. Derek Fisher(kidding)

DMAVS41
07-01-2011, 08:23 PM
1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Derrick Rose
4. Steve Nash
5. Rajon Rondo
6. Russell Westbrook
7. John Wall
8. Tony Parker
9. Stephen Curry
10. Derek Fisher(kidding)

You really think Wall is better than Parker? Wow. Parker seems to be pretty under-rated here.

tpols
07-01-2011, 08:25 PM
You really think Wall is better than Parker? Wow. Parker seems to be pretty under-rated here.
John Wall will get better next season and Tony will probably get worse with age+his injuries+the fact that he relies on quickness for his whole game to work.

John Wall is going to be a very, very good point guard. He's like a Rondo who can shoot.

Samurai Swoosh
07-01-2011, 08:27 PM
John Wall is going to be a very, very good point guard. He's like a Rondo who can shoot.
Still see him as a poor man's Wade.

And yes, agreed on the Tony Parker analysis.

Never liked his game, either.

tpols
07-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Still see him as a poor man's Wade.

And yes, agreed on the Tony Parker analysis.

Never liked his game, either.
Who, Wall? He is a point guard.. he has a completely different playstyle and role than Wade. Plus saying someone is a poor man's wade is a pretty huge compliment for a rookie exiting his first year in the league.. Wade is one of the best guards to ever play the game.

I wish NJ got the 1st pick last year.. we wouldn't have needed to trade for and probably lose Deron in a year.

DMAVS41
07-01-2011, 08:30 PM
John Wall will get better next season and Tony will probably get worse with age+his injuries+the fact that he relies on quickness for his whole game to work.

I agree about Wall being great someday.

Just can't put him over Parker yet. Parker was easily a better player last year and will be better again next year.

Go Getter
07-01-2011, 11:00 PM

Doesn't matter if Rondo is better all around. Doesn't matter if Rondo is better defensively to a greater extent than Nash is better offensively.

The main thing you want from your PG is running the offense which Nash does a far better job of.

The main thing you want is the ability to win games.

miles berg
07-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Let Nash play with Ray Allen, Pierce, & KG and we are talking 65 wins.

Im not even a big Nash guy but he is obviously a better player than Rondo.

Lets not get silly.

ballerz
07-01-2011, 11:34 PM
I don't get how people can rank westbrook in the top 5.

ShaqAttack3234
07-01-2011, 11:35 PM
1.Deron Williams- He was playing great with Utah last year and he's in his prime. Great scorer who can take over game or play the role of a traditional point guard. Good size and athleticism as well.
2.Chris Paul- Health makes me hesitant to put him number 1 and I would have liked to have seen him take over games more, but like Williams, he's capable of doing that or being a great facilitator.
3.Derrick Rose- Explosive scorer and I think he has the leadership intangibles, though he's a bit streaky and not as good of a passer as the other elite point guards which puts him below Deron and Paul for now on my list.
4.Steve Nash- Could rank higher based on last season, but he will be 38 next February. Either way, he's still among the best shooters in the game and arguably the best passer in the game. Based on last season, I'm not sure you could've picked a better PG to run your offense.
5.Russell Westbrook- Didn't play great in the playoffs, but I don't see anyone after these top 5 as guys who will play at a superstar level next season. Similar to Rose, though not quite as good. Explosive athlete and a triple double threat.
6.Rajon Rondo- Like Paul, he can be too passive at times, though he's not the scorer Paul is anyway. However Rondo is one of the better all around point guards, I'm not sold on him being a superstar, though. Good guy to have on a stacked team that doesn't rely on one star.
7.Tony Parker- Great scorer and a proven championship player. Not a huge fan, but his ability to penetrate and finish in the paint makes him dangerous.
8.Stephen Curry- Great shooter and a good passer who keeps getting better and should continue that at his age, particularly is Ellis is traded.
9.John Wall- Has a lot of things to work on, but he could be a PG in the mold of Rose or Westbrook, though I think he could become a better playmaker.
10.Chauncey Billups- He was banged up last year and he's getting older, but I still like his size, shooting ability and leadership for one more year.

ballup
07-01-2011, 11:40 PM

If Rondo is better all around than Nash, he shouldn't be ranked over Nash on a top 10 pg list?:wtf:

Nastradamus
07-01-2011, 11:42 PM

Lol, how does a PG get blown by and dunked on by Amare freakin' SToudemire? Uhhhhhhhh.

I'm not defending his D, but pick a good example,where he is at least defending a PG and not the most explosive big in the league.

no pun intended
07-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Scale from 1-10

Speed/Strength/Shooting/Drive/Passing/Ballhandling/Defense/Leadership

1) Williams- 9 10 9 9 9 9 9 9
2) Paul- 9 7 9 10 9 10 9 9
3) Rose- 10 10 7 10 7 9 9 8
4) Nash- 8 6 10 9 10 9 6 9
5) Rondo- 10 8 5 10 10 9 10 8
6) Westbrook- 9 9 7 9 7 9 9 8
7) Parker- 9 8 7 10 7 9 9 8
8) Billups 8 8 9 8 7 8 9 10
9) Kidd 7 6 9 7 9 8 9 10
10) Wall 10 9 6 9 8 9 8 8

az00m
07-02-2011, 12:13 AM
Rose ( I will be the first to put him as number 1. We all know if it wasn't true this year it will be damn true next year.)
Deron Williams
CP3
Rondo
Westbrook
Nash
Curry
Parker
Wall
JKidd

yobore
07-02-2011, 12:29 AM
Rose[ ( I will be the first to put him as number 1. We all know if it wasn't true this year it will be damn true next year.)
Deron Williams
CP3
Rondo
Westbrook
Nash
Curry
Parker
Wall
JKidd

Are you sure you wrote that the way you meant it? Seems to be the exact opposite of what most people "know"

dbronx42
07-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Ty Lawson is a better overall player than Billups... Ask any Nugget fan and they'll tell you the same thing. The only thing Chauncey is better at is his leadership. Which is one of the best in the league. But Ty Lawson is much more skilled as a player.

Hopefully next year Ty gets starters minuets and he shoes the league what us Nuggets fans have seen for a while.

az00m
07-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Are you sure you wrote that the way you meant it? Seems to be the exact opposite of what most people "know"

In the eyes of the majority of this forum it isn't true. I believe he is already the best pg and will be the best pg for at least the next 5 years. But, other people still think Cp3 is the best.

I.R.Beast
07-02-2011, 02:07 AM
1. Deron Williams - Definately the best all around point guard in the league. He can destroy defenses in so many ways and then hold his own on the other end. Definately for me the complete package as far as a franchise-run point guard.

2. Chris Paul - Don't get me wrong, Paul here is one of my most favorite players, he's the complete package aswell, but with crappy bubble wrap. We saw how late in the Lakers series, he became almost completely ineffective when the LA took away the Hornet's PNR team. He faded and didn't even bother to adjust. A healthy Paul probably would've done better yes, but till I see otherwise, right now he's just not the best point guard in the NBA.

3. Derrick Rose - I placed the MVP, and my top 3 favorite player at 3 simply because I don't believe he's a better point guard when comparing to Deron and Paul. Though I do think he is more dominant, however his defensive short comings, low efficiency, lack of a consistent shooting touch, aswell as an inferior passing skill set when comparing to the two guys above, are the reasons why I put Rose at 3rd place.

4. Steve Nash - I hate putting this guy so low, but his defense is completely atrocious. And I'm Canadian, aswell as a huge Nash fan. An elite shooter, arguably the best, great passer with unique and out of this world court vision and the unmatched durability - puts the old man at 4th place.

5. Russel Westbrook - He definitely, definitely, the best all around player on the list given, definitely the best defender.. He can do just about everything, maybe except shooting threes, but there's also another flaw, his point guard skills. He can pass, but not that well. We saw him exposed in the playoffs continuously, whether it be screwing up the pass or play, or simply not passing/running the play at all. He tries to run the show too much, not that great of a shot selection, and his court vision is noticeably blurred. He's a point guard, but at random times, he's not.

6. Rajan Rondo - Never liked the guy but he's good. Really good defender, unmatched hustle, and play making abilities to the likes of Steve Nash, and doesn't need an offensive system to flourish in, despite what some people try to negatively shove down your throat. Though he does not have a jump shot, nor does he have the free throw touch. Which is a must in a point guard, especially when a jump shot is what holding Rondo from being a poor mans Steve Nash to possibly the best and most unique guard in the league today.

7. Tony Parker - A scoring point guard who still has the traditional point guard skill set in him. I always believed he could've been more than 20/7 type player, even before his 55 point eruption. I don't know why he didn't live up to such potential maybe a more consistent jumper? No one held him back, atleast that's what it seemed. Though a really talented scorer, especially in the paint, 7th place is fitting for a former finals MVP.

8. Jason Kidd - The old man is very underrated. As if he has camouflaged with the hardwood. Still is the same player, just at a much slower pace, minus the scoring - for the greater good. One thing that still stands out about him other than his elite passing ability and sudden shooting touch is his defense. It startles me when I don't see people pointing out that somehow this grandpa is holding his ground against players like Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade. Especially in Finals, I saw him on several possessions make Wade struggle. This guy is still a top 10 point guard for me. And should be for everyone.

9. Chauncey Billups - A healthy Billups can turn a team around, we've all seen it happen, and I do believe it would be the same for knicks. If he didn't make a pullup transition three his #1 move in the arsenal, he could've been higher. But his defense, leadership and clutchness keeps him in my top

10. John Wall - A bright, bright future. Honestly, the guy is experience and a jump shot away from being in the status of the likes of Rose. It's almost undeniable. Though I hate putting him here just out of potential, as you could've put someone like Curry here aswell. I just believe that Wall will infact have a better and more successful career.

thats why he's not the best.....he's a product of the PnR...once you defend it properly you make paul almost useless. Overrated, plus he had a sub par season. a few games against old arse derrick fisher and a laker tema that struggles with every fast PG in the league dont change that

insidehoops
07-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Everyone keep chiming in with your opinions. And again, be sure to consider defense as well.

After a bunch of days of this, I'm going to look at the opinions here and form my own opinion, and post player rankings as a feature on InsideHoops.com

Rnbizzle
07-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Rose. In the gym. Right now. You should be scared.
Paul. Everything has been said, great pg, but too injury prone imo.
Williams. A little less good then Paul. Still an amazing pg who can do anything a pg should be able to do.
Westbrook. Will only be better next year, in the gym right now with Rose.
Nash. Best offensive pure pg by far, still. D is what it is though..
Rondo. Great passer and defender, but the fact that this dude just cannot get a decent J is unbelievable to me.
Parker. Underrated by most, great scorer, solid passer.
Wall. Crazy ceiling, I see him somewhere inbetween Rose and Westbrook, I don't think he'll reach Rose's level of impact on games, but I think he can get better then Westbrook.
Kidd. The D is still there, can spot up and shoot now, leadership is there.
Curry. Will go down as the GOAT shooter. Offensively this guy can get on Steve Nash level if you ask me. Defense has to get better though.

alenleomessi
07-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Scale from 1-10

Speed/Strength/Shooting/Drive/Passing/Ballhandling/Defense/Leadership

1) Williams- 9 10 9 9 9 9 9 9
2) Paul- 9 7 9 10 9 10 9 9
3) Rose- 10 10 7 10 7 9 9 8
4) Nash- 8 6 10 9 10 9 6 9
5) Rondo- 10 8 5 10 10 9 10 8
6) Westbrook- 9 9 7 9 7 9 9 8
7) Parker- 9 8 7 10 7 9 9 8
8) Billups 8 8 9 8 7 8 9 10
9) Kidd 7 6 9 7 9 8 9 10
10) Wall 10 9 6 9 8 9 8 8
CP3 passing is 10

MeLO MvP 15
07-02-2011, 03:09 PM
1. Paul
2. Williams
3. Rose
4. Rondo
5. Nash
6. Westbrook
7. Parker
8. Billups
9. Kidd
10. Wall or Curry

Pretty weird thinking about how the league's MVP isn't even the best at his position. I guess it shows how up much team record has to do with the award. Not saying Rose didn't deserve it, just weird.

dyna
07-02-2011, 03:41 PM
1. CP3
2. Rose
3. Williams
4. ondo
5. Westbrook
6. Nash
7. Kidd
8. Parker
9. Curry
10. Wall

D-H-12
07-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Rose
Paul
Nash
Rondo
Westbrook
D.Williams
Parker
Kidd
Wall
Curry

gigantes
07-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Kidd-

Speed 7
Strength 6
Shooting 9
Drive 7
Passing 9
Ballhandling 8
Defense 9
Leadership 10
appreciate the detailed approach. can't help it, but i've got to nitpick a little:

- if "speed" means footspeed combined with overall quickness (like hand speed), then i guess a seven is okay for kidd. he's got to have the slowest feet among all NBA guards yet still has those lightning-quick hands.

- your strength rating is way off- that has to be a ten. when kidd was with the nets, he did the strongest leg-presses on the whole team... PF's and C's included. i've also heard anecdotes that while with the mavs he's been one of the top performers in the weight room. tim walsh, his trainer from the nets, was in awe of kidd's sheer physical strength and motivation in training. fact is, his strength is probably a big part of what lets him do the unthinkable for all other PG's in the league- to guard guys as tall and strong as carmelo anthony on a regular basis, and to do it well.

- "driving" should probably be the lowest on the list. "passing" has got to be a ten, tied with a couple other passing wizards. "defense" should be a little lower since kidd struggles so much in man defense against fast PG's.

- leadership certainly deserves a ten, but i'd also add a "BBIQ" category and also give him a ten there. i've seen a couple of polls by NBA players through the years, and as a group they've never ranked him less than the smartest player in the league (usually followed by nash & kobe). or, simply watching him play, you'll see examples of his BBIQ over and over again...

yea, i've been watching kidd for awhile now. :P

L.A. Jazz
07-02-2011, 07:22 PM
1. D. Williams
can do and actually does everything a PG should do. perfect point guard. (the one i would choose for my franchise)
2. CP3
right up there with D.Will but his injuries and the fact that i like length on all positions, gives D.Will the Nr.1
3. Rose
young MVP says alot. but i like PGs who balance their game by what is given to them by the other team and dont think about scoring first every game.

4. Nash
Hall of famer. great quaterback and one of the best shooters. it must be great to play with him.
5. Parker
underrated. best PG scorer in the paint. headaches for most teams.
6. Rondo
if he could shoot the ball he would be up there in the top 3.
7. Kidd
Hall of famer. found his jumper (remember the Ason Kidd jokes a few years back), great quaterback and leader.
8. Westbrook
wow, talented, just wow. BUT he has to learn a lot about how to run a team and to do the right things when needed.

9. Billups
leader, makes few mistakes
10. Miller
classic PG

knickswin
07-02-2011, 08:21 PM
thats why he's not the best.....he's a product of the PnR...once you defend it properly you make paul almost useless. Overrated, plus he had a sub par season. a few games against old arse derrick fisher and a laker tema that struggles with every fast PG in the league dont change that

you don't really believe this?

wheatonbrando
07-03-2011, 12:23 AM
Just next year...
1. Paul
2. Nash
3. Rose
4. Deron
5. Rondo
6. Westbrook
7. Billups
8. Tyreke (if Westbrook counts as a PG, so does Reke)
9. Curry
10. Wall (by midseason)

Next five years...
1. Rose
2. Paul
3. Westbrook
4. Deron
5. Wall
6. Rondo
7. Tyreke
8. Curry
9. Kyrie
10. Rubio

Big fan of guys like Lawson, Holiday, Conley but see them as always solid-to-good but never great starters. Perpetually on the cusp of the top 10. Parker and Felton are overrated.

kaiiu
07-03-2011, 12:30 AM
Deron
Cp3
Rose
Kyrie
Westbrook
Nash
Rondo
Parker
Curry
Wall

the_wise_one
07-03-2011, 02:47 AM
1. Nash
2. Deron
3. Rose
4. Paul
5. Rondo
6. Westbrook
7. Billups
8. Rubio
9. Kidd
10. Wall

Go Getter
07-03-2011, 04:25 AM
1. Nash
2. Deron
3. Rose
4. Paul
5. Rondo
6. Westbrook
7. Billups
8. Rubio
9. Kidd
10. Wall
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Go Getter
07-03-2011, 04:26 AM
1. D. Williams
can do and actually does everything a PG should do. perfect point guard. (the one i would choose for my franchise)
2. CP3
right up there with D.Will but his injuries and the fact that i like length on all positions, gives D.Will the Nr.1
3. Rose
young MVP says alot. but i like PGs who balance their game by what is given to them by the other team and dont think about scoring first every game.

4. Nash
Hall of famer. great quaterback and one of the best shooters. it must be great to play with him.
5. Parker
underrated. best PG scorer in the paint. headaches for most teams.
6. Rondo
if he could shoot the ball he would be up there in the top 3.
7. Kidd
Hall of famer. found his jumper (remember the Ason Kidd jokes a few years back), great quaterback and leader.
8. Westbrook
wow, talented, just wow. BUT he has to learn a lot about how to run a team and to do the right things when needed.

9. Billups
leader, makes few mistakes
10. Miller
classic PG
:rolleyes:

OmniStrife
07-03-2011, 04:31 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Why you mad?! Nash is still young dammit! :lol

Eat Like A Bosh
07-03-2011, 11:43 AM
1. Chris Paul - The Best all around point guard, perfect combination of scoring and passing. Plays some nice defense, and rebounds well for his size(4.6 career, grabbed above 5 twice, never averaged below 4). He can finish well at the rim, although he attacks the rim a lot less since the injury. Good shooter, Great Basketball IQ, great guy and great floor general. You remember how he made Aaron Grey look relevant in the Lakers series. He's been phenomenal in the playoffs, and showed us when healthy, he's easily the best point guard in the game. Paul is pretty much the heart and soul of the New Orleans Team.

2. Deron Williams - He's been good too, has a nice crossover, improved his jumper, and is a good floor general. But he's just a notch below Paul. But the thing is, you can't go wrong with either Paul or Williams.

3. Derrick Rose -The MVP finishes 3rd on my list, I don't believe he's a better point guard when comparing to CP and D-Will. Though I do think he is more dominant in terms of scoring, Rose doesn't exactly make his whole team dangerous. His defensive short comings, low efficiency, lack of a consistency, as well as an inferior passing skill set when comparing to the two guys above, are the reasons why I put Rose at 3rd place.
He's still 22, he'll have plenty of room to grow.

4. Steve Nash - One of my favorite guys, but his defense is a real flaw in his game. And he never had the luxury of a great defensive team to hide his defensive shortcomings(like Tony Parker). Nash was never very athletic, but he's an all time elite shooter, a great teammate and leader, arguably the best, great passer with unique and out of this world court vision and has amazing durability for a 40 year old thanks to his conditioning. Everyone would've enjoyed playing with this guy. That warrants enough to put him at 4.

5. Russel Westbrook - The most athletic PG on the list, he can finish well at the rim and is a decent playmaker, but being athletic has its shortcomings, his point guard skills aren't the best. He can pass, but he doesn't do it on a consistent basis. We saw him exposed in the playoffs continuously, whether it be screwing up the pass or play, or simply not passing/running the play at all. He tries to run the show too much, not that great of a shot selection, and his court vision and decision making skills are nowhere on par with the guys above him. He's a point guard, but at random times, he's can go outta control. I think Westrbook really needs a speed between 100MPH and Park.

6. Rajan Rondo - I don't like him, but he's still pretty good. Good defender, unmatched hustle, and play making abilities to the likes of Steve Nash, and doesn't need an offensive system to flourish in, despite what some people try to negatively shove down your throat. Though he does not have a jump shot, nor does he have the free throw touch. Which is a must in a point guard, especially when a jump shot is what holding Rondo from being a poor mans Steve Nash to possibly the best and most unique guard in the league today.

9. Steph Curry - A young one with a bright future. Only reason I have not ranked him higher is because I haven't really seen him play enough. But he is a natural point guard, with a Ray like shooting touch. He could end up like a player similar to Steve Nash. Advice to GSW: If you have to get rid of either Ellis or Curry, trade Ellis and keep Curry.

10. John Wall - A bright, bright future. Honestly, the guy is experience
and a jump shot away from being in the status of the likes of Rose. It's
almost undeniable. Wall will fonderish under a shit Wizards team.

Jasi
07-03-2011, 05:48 PM
1st tier.
Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose

2nd tier.
Steve Nash, Rajon Rondo, Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook

3rd tier.
Ty Lawson, Steph Curry, Jason Kidd

Ranked:

1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Derrick Rose
4. Steve Nash
5. Rajon Rondo
6. Tony Parker
7. Russell Westbrook
8. Jason Kidd
9. Ty Lawson
10. Steph Curry

BlackWhiteGreen
07-03-2011, 06:44 PM
Top Tier: do everything to a high standard, any weaknesses well covered by the rest of their game:

Paul, Williams

Second Tier: Do pretty much everything well, but have a glaring weakness or two:

Rose, Westbrook, Rondo, Nash

Third Tier: Don't excel in many areas and still have weaknesses, have one or two great qualities but are very average elsewhere, or do everything well but not spectacularly:

Kidd, Curry, Parker, Lawson

If I have to rank them:

1. Paul
2. Williams
3. Rondo
4. Rose
5. Westbrook
6. Nash
7. Parker
8. Kidd
9. Lawson
10. Curry

Bogus_Sting
07-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Guess what?

Jason Kidd is the starting point guard for the world champions. As a true PG he ran his team and made them the best.

Guess what else?

He is the best PG in the NBA.

chips93
07-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Guess what?

Jason Kidd is the starting point guard for the world champions. As a true PG he ran his team and made them the best.

Guess what else?

so is deshawn stevenson the best 2 guard in the league as well?

Bogus_Sting
07-03-2011, 08:51 PM
so is deshawn stevenson the best 2 guard in the league as well?

Whats a 2 Gaurd? What makes a good 2 guard?

Tell me that and I will give you a answer.

GOBB
07-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Guess what?

Guess what else?

And i supposed Tyson Chandler is the best Center based on the same logic. Given he anchored the Mavs defense.

Bigsmoke
07-03-2011, 09:08 PM
And i supposed Tyson Chandler is the best Center based on the same logic. Given he anchored the Mavs defense.

post of the day :bowdown:

Bigsmoke
07-03-2011, 09:13 PM
wow. I don't see how Kidd is out of the top 10 behind guy like Andre Miller and Jrue Holiday.

Yea he is old as hell but he is an excellent floor general who is deadly from 3 and can defend SGs and SFs that most PGs could never dream of checking.

Kidd might be above Miller sure i have Jrue over Kidd though.

Bogus_Sting
07-04-2011, 06:21 AM

I wouldn't use the same logic, however besides Dwight this is possibly true.

However, sticking feathers in your butt does not make you a chicken.

Are their better players than Kidd? yes....

Are their better players, that pose as point guards? yes.....

Are there better point guards? no.....

Bucket_Nakedz
07-04-2011, 06:48 AM
1st tier.
Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose

2nd tier.
Steve Nash, Rajon Rondo, Tony Parker, Russell Westbrook

3rd tier.
Ty Lawson, Steph Curry, Jason Kidd

Ranked:

1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Derrick Rose
4. Steve Nash
5. Rajon Rondo
6. Tony Parker
7. Russell Westbrook
8. Jason Kidd
9. Ty Lawson
10. Steph Curry
:applause:

awesome list. if i would change anything, i'd switch curry and lawson.

KGMN
07-04-2011, 10:42 AM
1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Rajon Rondo
4. Derrick Rose
5. Russell Westbrook
6. John Wall
7. Ricky Rubio
8. Steve Nash
9. Tony Parker
10. Jason Kidd

allabouthawks
07-04-2011, 01:47 PM
1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Rajon Rondo
4. Derrick Rose
5. Russell Westbrook
6. John Wall
7. Ricky Rubio
8. Steve Nash
9. Tony Parker
10. Jason Kidd

u just put rubio who hasent played a game above an mvp in nash :facepalm :no:

Floppy
07-04-2011, 03:29 PM
lol at Rose and Westbrook

As a GM of a contender I'd rather shoot myself than have my offense run by an undersized one-dimensional SG or a selfish retard.

chips93
07-04-2011, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't use the same logic, however besides Dwight this is possibly true.

However, sticking feathers in your butt does not make you a chicken.

Are their better players than Kidd? yes....

Are their better players, that pose as point guards? yes.....

Are there better point guards? no.....

kidd is less of a pg than any of the other players mentioned, he plays the 2 as much as any top 10 point guard, with barea and terry on the floor.

kidd is a spot up shooter, versatile defender, and a leader, he doesnt set people up very often or generate much offense on his own because he cant get into the paint, unlike deron, rose, cp3, or westbrook.

chips93
07-04-2011, 04:25 PM
lol at Rose and Westbrook

As a GM of a contender I'd rather shoot myself than have my offense run by an undersized one-dimensional SG or a selfish retard.

without a single dependable secondary scorer or playmaker, the bulls offense is top 10 iirc, so obviously it works just fine. the game is changing, score first point guards can be very effective.

NugzHeat3
07-04-2011, 05:10 PM
If Rondo is better all around than Nash, he shouldn't be ranked over Nash on a top 10 pg list?:wtf:
No, the gap between their offense is GIGANTIC so it doesn't matter if Rondo is better all around or not. If you break their games down by each facet, Rondo would probably come out on top but that's where people would be wrong.

Rondo isn't anywhere near Nash or Paul or Williams or Rose.

There's other examples too. Rondo is better all around than AI, does that make him a better player? No. Pippen is better all around than Kobe, does that make him a better player? No.

knickswin
07-04-2011, 06:08 PM
without a single dependable secondary scorer or playmaker, the bulls offense is top 10 iirc, so obviously it works just fine. the game is changing, score first point guards can be very effective.

the Bulls offense was not top 10. Maybe for the playoffs it was, but during the regular season it hovered around 17th-12th efficiency-wise.

BlackWhiteGreen
07-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Without a second dependable scorer? Deng scored 17.4 a game, Paul Pierce scored 1.5 points more a game, Pau Gasol scored 1.4 more a game, is the threshold for "dependable scorer" 18 ppg or does EVERYONE on here underrate Deng because he contract is bad?

jbryan1984
07-04-2011, 06:31 PM
Chris Paul: Still is the best all around point guard in the league to me.

Derrick Rose: Cannot put him any lower than this, not with the season he had, best offensive point guard in the game.

Steve Nash: To me the best ball handler in the league.

Deron Williams: D-Will is D-Will. Hard to rank him 4th.

Russell Westbrook: Westbrook is just awesome.

Rajon Rondo: I admit my mistakes. I really thought Rondo would have basically the year Rose had, especially after the how he played in the 2010 playoffs. Still one of the best though.

John Wall: Next scoring point guard coming up. He has surpassed the 3 below him imo.

Chauncey Billups: Chauncey is still great for his age. In the few Knicks games I got to see him in, he was cleaning up when Melo and Amar'e could not get it done.

Tony Parker: Parker still great.

Jason Kidd: Even at his age, Kidd still plays great. He finally has a championship, can still shoot, can still defend and can still get up the floor.

NBA2k-Monster23
07-05-2011, 12:20 AM
1. Derrick Rose
2. Deron Williams
3. Cp3
4. Rajon Rondo
5. Russell Westbrook
6. Stephen Curry
7. Ty lawson
8. Tony parker
9. Steve nash
10. Jason Kidd

OmniStrife
07-05-2011, 04:03 AM
1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Rajon Rondo
4. Derrick Rose
5. Russell Westbrook
6. John Wall
7. Ricky Rubio
8. Steve Nash
9. Tony Parker
10. Jason Kidd

KGMN, added to the retards list.

gigantes
07-05-2011, 04:28 AM
KGMN, added to the retards list.
seriously, why isn't rubio #1???

on a slight tangent- dunno what's up with people ranking russell westbrook so high. (actually i do, but let's pretend i don't)

in short: good volume scorer as a small guard, total knucklehead as a PG. my respect and sympathy continues to grow for kevin durant...

Doranku
07-05-2011, 09:23 AM
1. Chris Paul (Prototype)
2. Derrick Rose (MVP)
3. Deron Williams (Does everything well)
4. Steve Nash (Elite shooter / playmaker)
5. Rajon Rondo (Defensive force)
6. Russell Westbrook (Rose minus a brain)
7. Jason Kidd (still does everything, just a bit slower)
8. Tony Parker (Penetrator and facilitator)
9. John Wall (Bright future very balanced)
10. Stephen Curry (Elite shooter in the making)

...So he's Rose? :wtf: :confusedshrug:

My top 10:

1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Derrick Rose
4. Steve Nash
5. Russell Westbrook
6. Rajon Rondo
7. Tony Parker
8. Stephen Curry
9. Jason Kidd
10. Ty Lawson

PowerGlove
07-05-2011, 10:27 AM
I'm a big Kidd supporter, but I dont think he's a top 10 PG. Especially if we are supposed to be looking towards the future, as the OP wished for.
LOL @ people having him at anything other than 10. Come on. If you put him on the list, he cant be that high up. He plays his role well, but that's about it.

Nets fan 93
07-05-2011, 02:30 PM

I like this list. Maybe besides Wall, Stephen Curry?

Papaya Petee
07-05-2011, 02:42 PM
1.) Deron Williams- Best Point guard in the league hands down. Can do so much to kill you.

2.) (Healthy) Chris Paul- Just as good a player as Deron Williams, but I like Derons style more, and I think he is a bigger threat to score.

3.) Derrick Rose - If Chris Paul isn't healthy, he jumps to 2, if D-Will isn't healthy, he jumps to 1. MVP? Yes, but very very overrated at that. Average playmaker for a point guard, and his scoring is on low efficiency. We all saw how bad LeBron and Wade killed him in the ECF. Still a 24\7\5 threat.

4.) Russell Westbrook- Basically a slightly worse version of Rose.

5.) Steve Nash- As a passer, he ranks 1 here, but he isn't as good a scorer, and a horrible defender. So 5 is good.

6.) Rajon Rondo

7.) John Wall

8.) Chauncey Billups

9.) Tony Parker

10.) Jason Kidd

BlackWhiteGreen
07-05-2011, 02:44 PM
1.) Deron Williams- Best Point guard in the league hands down. Can do so much to kill you.

2.) (Healthy) Chris Paul- Just as good a player as Deron Williams, but I like Derons style more, and I think he is a bigger threat to score.

3.) Derrick Rose - If Chris Paul isn't healthy, he jumps to 2, if D-Will isn't healthy, he jumps to 1. MVP? Yes, but very very overrated at that. Average playmaker for a point guard, and his scoring is on low efficiency. We all saw how bad LeBron and Wade killed him in the ECF. Still a 24\7\5 threat.

4.) Russell Westbrook- Basically a slightly worse version of Rose.

5.) Steve Nash- As a passer, he ranks 1 here, but he isn't as good a scorer, and a horrible defender. So 5 is good.

6.) Rajon Rondo

7.) John Wall

8.) Chauncey Billups

9.) Tony Parker

10.) Jason Kidd

So where is Rose if he isn't healthy? :facepalm

imdaman99
07-05-2011, 10:18 PM
1. CP3 - motivated cp3 is the best PG in the game. please come to the knicks.

2. DWill - can do it all, but hes in siberia, aka the Nets so no one will ever hear from him again

3. Rose - keeps getting better and needs to keep getting better because he cant have lebron expose him again. if he develops that pull-up jumper he will beast, because thats basically how terry killed lebron.

4. Westbrook - also needs to keep getting better, by far my favorite PG in the nba. he needs to be a mix of that game 7 against the grizz pg and that slashing pg he was when he was effective against the mavs. plus hes the best defensive PG in the game.

5. Nash - still runs an effective offense even though he has very average players around him

6. Rondo - he went backwards this year. of course before he did, he tore up my knicks and toney douglas in the 1st round :mad:

7. TP - still got game, still a speedy mofo that can finish them floaters/teardrops

8. Kidd - has a lot of heart and it showed in the playoffs. played great D on basically everyone. hes been exposed in the past as unable to keep up with the speedy PGs but this year, great team defense will make a good defensive player look even better

9. Curry - great shooter, dont know if he can defend anyone. his passing is improving too, wish the knicks had him but stupid warriors picked him before the knicks pick.

10. Wall - stud, will be best PG in a couple of years once the wiz actually get other ppl on the team (not shot jackers like nick young)

Lawson, Felton, Billups and company... sorry missed the cut.

Lawson looks good, should only get better but is undersized galore
Felton was good for the knicks but only went backwards on the Nuggets (Dantoni system?)
Billups, its only a matter of time till he gets hurt for the Knicks... ugh :mad:

Goliath Uterus
07-05-2011, 10:30 PM
1. D-Rose: MVP, and still improving, not much more to say.

2. Deron williams: Would be a 2 way tie between him and CP3 but Cp's health is still a question

3. CP3: If healthy he's the best pure PG in the league, runs the offense better than anybody in the game

4. Rondo

5. Westbrook

6. Nash

7. Wall

8. TP

9. Curry

10. Ty Lawson

UwishUhadWall
07-05-2011, 11:25 PM
I wonder how many people actually watched the Wizards and John Wall this past year. Some of this shit is ridiculous. 19 and 9 next year? He averaged 9 this year. Next scoring PG? What? Poor man's Day Wade? Wtf? Derrick Rose - a jump shot? Hiuh.

Seriously, what a joke. The definition of talking out of one's ass.

KGMN
07-05-2011, 11:32 PM
u just put rubio who hasent played a game above an mvp in nash :facepalm :no:

Don't blame me for that. I'm a Wolves fan, and I need to get some Timberwolf on there, otherwise I wouldn't like my list that much.

BlackWhiteGreen
07-06-2011, 05:49 PM
6. Rondo - he went backwards this year. of course before he did, he tore up my knicks and toney douglas in the 1st round :mad:

Rondo went backwards after he beat the Knicks? So he went backward in the Miami series, half of which he played with a dislocated elbow and included leading his team to a win against the EC champs on one arm.

ballup
07-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Rondo went backwards after he beat the Knicks? So he went backward in the Miami series, half of which he played with a dislocated elbow and included leading his team to a win against the EC champs on one arm.
TBH, Rondo did go backwards because of injuries and his steep drop in the 2nd half of the season.

ThaSwagg3r
07-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Deron is ranked above Paul because of Paul's injury problems, yet Deron was the one that had injury problems last year. If you look at Deron's numbers in New Jersey, they were awful, and a lot of people say it was because he wasn't healthy. Deron also missed 17 games last season while Paul played 80 games last season. Paul didn't really dominate or look like himself until the playoffs though.

Anyways...my top 10

1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Steve Nash
4. Derrick Rose
5. Russell Westbrook
6. Rajon Rondo
7. Tony Parker
8. Chauncey Billups
9. Jason Kidd
10. John Wall

Honorable Mentions: Andre Miller, Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, and Stephen Curry.

Kiddlovesnets
07-06-2011, 11:27 PM
1. Chris Paul
2. Steve Nash
3. Jason Kidd
4. Deron Williams
5. Rajon Rondo
6. Derrick Rose
7. Chauncey Billups
8. Tony Parker
9. John Wall
10. Russell Westbrook

bdreason
07-07-2011, 04:14 AM
Very tough.

1. CP3
2. D-Will
3. D-Rose
4. Nash
5. Westbrook
6. Rondo
7. Curry
8. Parker
9. Wall
10. Billups

Ronin
07-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Wall will be first very soon

Scholar
07-09-2011, 05:25 AM
1. CP3
2. DWill
3. Nash
4. Rose
5. Rondo
6. Westbrook (plays more like a SG than a PG)
7. Curry
8. Kidd
9. Wall
10. Parker

asnstyle3
07-10-2011, 12:18 AM
1. Chris Paul -
2. Deron Williams
3. Derrick Rose
4. Rajon Rondo
5. Tony Parker
6. Steve Nash
7. Russell Westbrook
8. Raymond Felton
9. Jason Kidd
10. Mo Williams

I think i have the best list.:roll:

chips93
07-10-2011, 11:17 AM
the Bulls offense was not top 10. Maybe for the playoffs it was, but during the regular season it hovered around 17th-12th efficiency-wise.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/2011.html

they finished 11th, considering nobody else on the bulls roster can get his own shot, rose is doing a pretty good job, not terribly efficeint, but somebody has to take the shots.

alenleomessi
07-10-2011, 12:28 PM
1. Chris Paul -
2. Deron Williams
3. Derrick Rose
4. Rajon Rondo
5. Tony Parker
6. Steve Nash
7. Russell Westbrook
8. Raymond Felton
9. Jason Kidd
10. Mo Williams

u should get banned for having mo in the top 10

DavisEverLOL
07-10-2011, 05:46 PM
1. Chris Paul -
2. Deron Williams
3. Derrick Rose
4. Rajon Rondo
5. Tony Parker
6. Steve Nash
7. Russell Westbrook
8. Raymond Felton
9. Jason Kidd
10. Mo Williams

:facepalm

T.O.RapsJays
07-11-2011, 01:48 AM

I cannot argue with anything on this list, well explained :applause:

chips93
07-11-2011, 10:01 AM
rose
- the mvp, arguably the best athlete in the league, great iso scorer, can get his shot whenever he wants, no other point guard is close to him at getting his own shot. good defender, but considering his physical tools, he could be better. good passer, but not elite. not afraid to take the big shots. his efficeincy isnt great. his 3pt shot abandoned him in the playoffs, and was poor from 3 in the second half of the season, so its hard to say how improved his 3pt shot really is.

cp3
- this is based on the presumption that he gets the confidence back from his injury in 09, and starts to play like the player we saw in the playoffs. if he gets back to 07-09 form he gets the no.1 spot, but im not sure if he ever gets the quickness back. very patient, best court vision in the league, the best floor general in the league. great defender. great shooter. if it wasnt for injuries and poor management he'd be on course for the second best point guard in history.

deron
- jack of all trades, has no holes in his game, no the elire scorer rose is, and not the passer paul is. good defender, ballhandler, shooter. i think we can question his attitude with what happened in utah last year. if he was a great lockerroom guy sloan wouldnt have left, and o'connor wouldnt have shafted him at the deadline by trading him to NJ without telling him.

westbrook
- elite athlete, good scorer, can really lock down on defense one-on-one. the playoffs raised question about how well he fits with durant and if hes to scoring orientated. i think he'll redeem hgimsel fnext year and become a better passer.

nash
- all time great passer and shooter, time will have to start taking its toll, slowing him down. great leader, deserves a shot on a contender. remarkably efficeint. poor defender.

wall
- i think he makes a big leap in year two. has unrivalled potential as a defender, made some phenomenal plays on defense last year. has length, hustle, quickness,timing. could some day be the best guard in the league. great at finishing around the rim. best young combination of court vision-athleticism-unselfishness in the league. will lead the league in assists some day. only thing holding him back right now are his sub-par jumpshot and experience. has a great attitude, hopefully he doesnt get infected by veterans with poor attitude like blatche and thornton.

rondo
- great defense, great passer, poor shooter. the best defender at the point in the league. becomes quite tentative in the clutch.

curry
- poor man's steve nash. smart, good passer, great shooter, uses quickness effectively, questionable fit with ellis.

parker
- very quick pg, shoots 49% from the field for his career, great for a pg. can finish at the basket better than any point in the league, is 4th in the league of point guards who play 30 mins a game at finishing at the rim. not a great passer.

holiday
- smart young pg. very solid, jack of all trades, great defender, one of the best in the league for on-ball-steals. ceiling is chauncey billups.

Duranthebest
07-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Derrick Rose
Deron Williams
Chris Paul
Russell Westbrook
Stephen Curry
Steve Nash
Tony Parker
John Wall
Rajon Rondo
Chauncy Billups

I.R.Beast
07-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Chris Paul should not be #1 on anyones list after the season he had. Also he's only as good as the PnR game is working for him. When teams defend it properly he can be taken out of the game... We've seen it several times throughout the course of last year. He's been a 2 season wonder. Deron williams has been just as good if not better and is more consistent. He's had more post season success, He can operate effectively in any system and being a natural scorer he's comfortable scoring alot of points if need be. He's been the best PG in the league for a some time now. Paul is just overrated expecially on defense.

yobore
07-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Chris Paul should not be #1 on anyones list after the season he had. Also he's only as good as the PnR game is working for him. When teams defend it properly he can be taken out of the game... We've seen it several times throughout the course of last year. He's been a 2 season wonder. Deron williams has been just as good if not better and is more consistent. He's had more post season success, He can operate effectively in any system and being a natural scorer he's comfortable scoring alot of points if need be. He's been the best PG in the league for a some time now. Paul is just overrated expecially on defense.
Wrong on almost every point, except that maybe that he shouldn't be #1. He is the most disciplined and best decision maker in the league to go along with all his skills, as a result he could thrive in any system and any pg role. some evidence, he was far superior to Deron in the Olympics and as a result earned the second most minutes on the whole team, playing his role perfectly, pressing on D, setting up the offense, and scoring when we needed it.

knickswin
07-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Wrong on almost every point, except that maybe that he shouldn't be #1. He is the most disciplined and best decision maker in the league to go along with all his skills, as a result he could thrive in any system and any pg role. some evidence, he was far superior to Deron in the Olympics and as a result earned the second most minutes on the whole team, playing his role perfectly, pressing on D, setting up the offense, and scoring when we needed it.

This. Paul doesn't have an outstanding assist/turnover ratio for nothing. To say that he only thrives in the pick and roll is just inaccurate, he can set up just about any offense you want him to. Back when the Hornets used to play more in transition he played that beautifully as well. You never saw him do what a lot of super quick point guards do in that situation which is run themselves into a 3 on 1 situation, he always held himself back to play with his teammates. I think his struggles against good PnR defenses gets overstated: all point guards struggle if you throw some traps against them--I've seen John Stockton throw the ball away many times when he's been trapped--but it's not like they don't adjust (plus all of his teammates except West set sucky screens).

I.R.Beast
07-14-2011, 12:30 AM
This. Paul doesn't have an outstanding assist/turnover ratio for nothing. To say that he only thrives in the pick and roll is just inaccurate, he can set up just about any offense you want him to. Back when the Hornets used to play more in transition he played that beautifully as well. You never saw him do what a lot of super quick point guards do in that situation which is run themselves into a 3 on 1 situation, he always held himself back to play with his teammates. I think his struggles against good PnR defenses gets overstated: all point guards struggle if you throw some traps against them--I've seen John Stockton throw the ball away many times when he's been trapped--but it's not like they don't adjust (plus all of his teammates except West set sucky screens).

he plays passive......He almost never tries creating without a screen...He makes the safe play. When his teammates are struggling and the PnR isnt working he's hesitant to attack. How many turnovers can a guy average getting as many screens as Paul does?......I judge PGs by how well they create on the fly outside of the PnR..... Paul is very overrated and i highly doubt he finds his glass slipper. Derrick Rose is better....He would never sitback as his team struggles the way Paul does

knickswin
07-14-2011, 01:07 AM
he plays passive......He almost never tries creating without a screen...He makes the safe play. When his teammates are struggling and the PnR isnt working he's hesitant to attack. How many turnovers can a guy average getting as many screens as Paul does?......I judge PGs by how well they create on the fly outside of the PnR..... Paul is very overrated and i highly doubt he finds his glass slipper. Derrick Rose is better....He would never sitback as his team struggles the way Paul does

Paul creates for himself without screens. He doesn't do it with the regularity Rose does, but he has a nasty crossover that he'll pull out every now and then and he'll still drive to the rim for a layup or a floater.

I think Rose is a superior scorer and I don't think you can argue that. But he's also a significantly worse pure PG. His passing is average and his court vision is only slightly above average. Paul can be passive, but on the other end of the spectrum Rose has a problem with taking bad shots. You can't deny that Paul is elite at controlling the tempo of the game.

Story Up
07-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Healthy Paul might be the best player in this league; so damn efficient, almost effortless like.

Paul
Rose
Williams
Westbrook
Nash
Rondo
Wall
Parker
Kidd
Curry

Wall could honestly become an elite PG next season.

code green
07-14-2011, 08:53 PM
1. CP3
2. D-Will
3. Rose
4. Nash
5/6. Rondo/Westbrook
7. Parker
8. Billups
9. Wall
10. Curry

Court Vision
07-15-2011, 09:51 AM
1. Chris Paul
2. Derrick Rose
3. Deron Williams
4. Rajon Rondo
5. Steve Nash
6. Tony Parker
7. Russell Westbrook
8. Chauncey Billups
9. John Wall
10. Jason Kidd

Batz
07-16-2011, 01:43 AM
Lol, how does a PG get blown by and dunked on by Amare freakin' SToudemire? Uhhhhhhhh.

I'm not defending his D, but pick a good example,where he is at least defending a PG and not the most explosive big in the league.
Look at his defense? He's in perfect position, and with no pressure at all he voluntarily walks out of it which allows the opposition to score. That could've been a Earl Boykins and a field goal would've still been made because of that horrible decision.

Sub par season because of injuries. He actually played godly against the Lakers early on. PGs do abuse the lakers, but that's usually on in the regular season. In the playoffs they actually pick it up in that area.

I like this list. Maybe besides Wall, Stephen Curry?
As I said in the Wall ranking, Curry could've been there, I just feel Wall is a better point guard and has potential to be better. Though you can easily swap them.

hawksdogsbraves
07-18-2011, 10:33 AM
1) Paul
2) Williams
3) Rose
4) Rondo
5) Westbrook
6) Nash
7) Curry
8) Wall
9) Parker
10) Billups

knickswin
07-18-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't recall Deron Williams putting up godly number against the Lakers in last year's playoffs. I thought all point guards smoked them?

lilbill
07-18-2011, 01:52 PM
1. Rose
2. Paul
3. Rondo
4. Curry
5. Westbrook
6. Williams
7. Nash
8. Kidd
9. Billups
10 Parker

DC Zephyrs
07-18-2011, 03:53 PM
1. Chris Paul
2. Derrick Rose
3. Steve Nash
4. Deron Williams
5. Russel Westbrook
6. John Wall
7. Stephen Curry
8. Rajon Rondo
9. Tony Parker
10. Ty Lawson

Batz
07-19-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't recall Deron Williams putting up godly number against the Lakers in last year's playoffs. I thought all point guards smoked them?
He suffered injuries prior to the series, and even during it. Besides, the Lakers D was really kicking in, all the way to a sweep.

ChuckOakley
07-24-2011, 07:36 PM
1. Paul
2. Rose
3. D.Williams
4. Nash
5. Rondo
6. Westbrook
7. Parker
8. Kidd

I guess Wall or Curry but I don't really see them as being experienced and thus as good at being a PG and running a team, so I'm gonna say

9. Miller
10. T.Evans
(assuming he comes back healthy and ready, which I don't see why he can't.)

TrueAristotle
07-25-2011, 11:31 PM
1. Chris Paul
2. Derrick Rose
3. Steve Nash
4. Russell Westbrook
5. Deron Williams
6. Rajon Rondo
7. Tony Parker
8. Chauncey Billups
9. Jason Kidd
10. John Wall

Deron Williams was very unproductive and injury prone last season.

ChuckOakley
07-26-2011, 05:52 PM
1. Chris Paul
2. Derrick Rose
3. Steve Nash
4. Russell Westbrook
5. Deron Williams
6. Rajon Rondo
7. Tony Parker
8. Chauncey Billups
9. Jason Kidd
10. John Wall

Deron Williams was very unproductive and injury prone last season.
Yes, being the only NBA player to average 20 points and 10 assists (career highs in both) is very unproductive.

GiveItToBurrito
07-26-2011, 08:19 PM

This is a good point. If you look at Kidd's assists, they're usually to cutters under the basket who take the best shots in the league, while guys like Rose and Westbrook tend to drive and kick out to guys who are open for jumpers for their assists. Not to take anything away from the younger guys, but doing that requires athleticism since it's reliant on breaking down a defense, not basketball iq or court vision, and the shots are less efficient.

TrueAristotle
07-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Yes, being the only NBA player to average 20 points and 10 assists (career highs in both) is very unproductive.
You are counting his stats with Utah, count it with just NJ and it is pathetic. 35% FG%, LMAO. Deron is a douche anyways, gets Sloan fired and then leaves the franchise and gets traded to the loser New Jersey Nets. :oldlol:

EricGordon23
07-26-2011, 08:39 PM
1. D-will
2. Chris paul
3. D-rose
4. Nash
5. Rondo
6. Westbrook
7. John wall
8. Jrue Holdiay
9. T.Parker
10. Steph Curry

ChuckOakley
07-27-2011, 04:00 PM
You are counting his stats with Utah, count it with just NJ and it is pathetic. 35% FG%, LMAO. Deron is a douche anyways, gets Sloan fired and then leaves the franchise and gets traded to the loser New Jersey Nets. :oldlol:
15/13 on NJ and yeah.. 35% shooting because he had torn ligaments in his wrist that required surgery and the medical staff in Utah didn't diagnose properly. 13 assists in NJ was incredible given the lack of talent around him.

Borderlands
07-28-2011, 03:13 PM
I definitely think that John Wall needs to be higher on everyone's lists. If you look at CP3's stats rookie year versus Wall's rookie year, they are pretty much similar. Wall is a mix of DRose and CP3 in a couple of years.

The top 4 point guards are:

Rose, CP3, DWill, and Wall

yobore
07-29-2011, 05:04 PM
If you look at CP3's stats rookie year versus Wall's rookie year, they are pretty much similarl
The stats are similar in terms of pts/assists. There is a huge difference in all their advanced stats which reflects the massive differences in turnovers, pace, and TS%. And CP's team went from 18 to 38 wins

knickswin
07-29-2011, 11:53 PM
I definitely think that John Wall needs to be higher on everyone's lists. If you look at CP3's stats rookie year versus Wall's rookie year, they are pretty much similar. Wall is a mix of DRose and CP3 in a couple of years.

The top 4 point guards are:

Rose, CP3, DWill, and Wall

Wall is not that similar to CP3. He is crazy athletic but he does not play with the intelligence that Paul plays with . . .

Borderlands
07-30-2011, 02:01 AM
Ast/Turnover I dont think Wall will ever be like Paul. Wall isnt the better three point shooter either. But I was saying that he is a mix of Rose (who is more TO prone)and Paul. Another category I think Wall will improve on is steals.

As to the winning percentage, Wall isnt going to improve his team as much as Paul. I think Wall doesnt run the pick and roll as effectively as Paul but then again the Wizards didnt have Tyson Chandler and David West (an allstar). I havent seen many Wizards games but getting 8-9 assists/game shows a lot of court vision especially as a rookie. I dont think any rookie point guard has averaged that recently except for Paul in '05 (if I remember correctly). Will Wall ever be dubbed "neither a shoot first nor pass first point guard" which Paul is so often called, not really. But surround him with the right players, like Rose in Chicago, and you have a team that is playoff bound.

The Bird
07-30-2011, 10:19 PM
1. Chris Paul-Hopefully he'll repeat his post-season play
2. Derrick Rose-Not a conventional PG but a great player none the less
3. Derrick Williams-Kind of sad about the trade, but he's a great player wherever he is.
4. Steve Nash-Doesn't show any signs of slowing down. Rooting for him to get a ring.
5. Rajon Rando-Engineers the Boston offense brilliantly.
6. Tony Parker- In my opinion MVP of the great Spurs team.
7. Ty Lawson- Ready to explode into his role as a star point guard.
8. John Wall- Looking to see improvement on an already incredible player.
9. Russel Westbrook- I know, this is very low but honestly I don't think he's much without Durant and his post season showed his bad side.
10. Jason Kidd- I think this'll be his last productive season, but he'll be good.

SunsCaptain
08-10-2011, 04:32 AM
1. Steve Nash - GOAT shooter, Top passer, Keep his body in incredible health, amazing passion, great leader. Place him on a better team and he will win them a championship. Best PG in the league until he retires.

2. Chris Paul

3. Deron Williams

4. Derrick Rose

5. Stephen Curry

6. Tony Parker

7. Russell Westbrook

8. Rajon Rondo

9. Jrue Holiday

10. Andre Miller

ballerz
08-10-2011, 07:33 AM
1. Steve Nash - GOAT shooter, Top passer, Keep his body in incredible health, amazing passion, great leader. Place him on a better team and he will win them a championship. Best PG in the league until he retires.

2. Chris Paul

3. Deron Williams

4. Derrick Rose

5. Stephen Curry

6. Tony Parker

7. Russell Westbrook

8. Rajon Rondo

9. Jrue Holiday

10. Andre Miller
Curry is up to high and miller shouldn't be on your list

RRR3
08-10-2011, 12:20 PM

2. Chris Paul

3. Deron Williams

4. Derrick Rose

5. Stephen Curry

6. Tony Parker

7. Russell Westbrook

8. Rajon Rondo

9. Jrue Holiday

10. Andre Miller
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mike Rice
08-10-2011, 12:36 PM
1. Andre Miller

2. Steve Nash

3. Deron Williams

4. Chris Paul

5. Stephen Curry

6. Russell Westbrick

7. Patty Mills

8. Rajon Rondo

9. Jrue Holiday

10. Steve Blake

Mike Barrett
08-10-2011, 12:39 PM
1. Raymond Felton

2. Steve Nash

3. Andre Miller

4. Chris Paul

5. Nolan Smith

6. Russell Westbrick

7. Patty Mills

8. Deron Williams

9. Jrue Holiday

10. Armon Johnson

Mike Rice
08-10-2011, 12:43 PM
How in the world did I forget Raymond Felton? Silly me. Only a man with such great knowledge of the game can correct me. Thank you Mike.

Mike Barrett
08-10-2011, 12:46 PM
How in the world did I forget Raymond Felton? Silly me. Only a man with such great knowledge of the game can correct me. Thank you Mike.

No problem Mike. You were fairly accurate with your list though. Great job partner.

SunsCaptain
08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Curry is up to high and miller shouldn't be on your list

Curry is not up to high. Its my list anyways.... :rolleyes:

Ballin21
08-11-2011, 04:18 PM
CP3 is the best hands down

GS1905
08-11-2011, 05:25 PM
Paul is one of my favorite players but he shouldn't be #1 in anyone's list. I think he gets too much love for his playoff performance against the Lakers since pretty much everyone was missing the old CP3. He hasn't been playing like the old CP3 since he got injured which was 2 years ago. Yes, he played great against the Lakers but he was guarded by players like Fisher and Blake. Also, same Lakers team got swept in the next round. He might come back next season and keep playing like the way he did against the Lakers but it's not very realistic based on how he performed in the last 2 years. Don't get me wrong he's still one of the best but simply not #1.

I'm not gonna make a list but I think Derrick Rose is the best PG in the league. See why and tell me what you think about it.

1)Derrick Rose
Best scorer & most explosive PG in the league. Also the fastest, strongest, and most athletic PG. Best ball handler PG with Paul. His ability to drive in and finish at the rim is unmatched among the best PGs. He developed a good mid-range game. Demonstrates strong leadership skills. Not afraid to take big shots.

Things that he needs to improve :

1) Passing - Good but not elite
2) Court vision - Good but not elite
3) Shooting - Improved a little but still needs to work on it
4) Being smarter and not taking bad shots

Crazy thing is he's only 22. He has lot's of time to improve. That's why I think he is and will be the best PG in the league.

Edit: Again, if Paul comes back next season and plays like he did against the Lakers then I would put him at #1 in a heartbeat but let's wait and see if that happens.

SteveNashMVPcro
08-11-2011, 06:08 PM
and how is he then the best pg in the league?This 4 things are what I want from my PG
Nash-best passer in the NBA(2nd best ever-just not far behind Magic-IMHO he's beter than magic in half court passing-and yeah he led the NBA last year in APG with his 2nd best player in Gortat),best court vision,best shooter among PG's ever(top 5 all time shooter),highest basketball IQ in the league,50% fg shooter when healthy,he can finish with both hand equaly good at the rim,good ballhandler,clutch,one of the best leaders in the NBA
but yes he is 38,white,short,slow,can't jump and can't dunk -but he was like than when he was 31

GS1905
08-11-2011, 07:25 PM
and how is he then the best pg in the league?This 4 things are what I want from my PG
Nash-best passer in the NBA(2nd best ever-just not far behind Magic-IMHO he's beter than magic in half court passing-and yeah he led the NBA last year in APG with his 2nd best player in Gortat),best court vision,best shooter among PG's ever(top 5 all time shooter),highest basketball IQ in the league,50% fg shooter when healthy,he can finish with both hand equaly good at the rim,good ballhandler,clutch,one of the best leaders in the NBA
but yes he is 38,white,short,slow,can't jump and can't dunk -but he was like than when he was 31

Are those really the only things you want from your PG? I don't think so. Those might be what you would like from a pass-first PG but not from an all around PG.

1-2)Let's be real. His court vision and passing aren't as bad as some of you say. If Nash is 10/10 at those two things then Rose is 7/10 and he will get better. I'm not saying Rose will be as good as Nash at those two things when he improves but improvement is improvement.

3)His shooting is bad compared to Nash but it's good enough compared to other top PGs. Also, this is something he can improve by little and little each year. He sure got better at it each and every year since he came into the league.

4)Well most of his bad shots are due to not having another player who can create his own shot on the team. I think once the Bulls get a player who can create for himself and others this problem of taking bad shots will mostly be solved. He will take bad shots every now and then but pretty much every superstar does that.

Why is he the best PG in the league? Because he is the most dominant one. No other PG affects/changes the game like Rose does. Again, he has things that he needs to improve. If it was another superstar, then I would say ehh..he's not gonna get any better from here but since Rose is very humble and hardworking I'm expecting another jump from him.

On a side note that's what I keep hearing about Wall(being humble and hardworking) so I think he will be one of the best in the future too. It'll be really fun to watch these two guys.

I agree with you completely on the points you made about Nash. I would put him at #4 if I had to make a list right now. Would put at #2 if this list wasn't focused on the future.

SunsCaptain
08-11-2011, 07:49 PM

Steve Nash isnt slow and he has hops and CAN dunk. But he stated he never would. It is utterly pointless to do for a PG especially one with Nash's scoring and passing ability. If you watch Steve Nash play he like to run base line and then maybe curl into the center of the key looking for passing options if none are available he will take a simple lay-up or short fadeaway. To dunk as a PG means you are thinking in your head the whole time "I am going to dunk it" You put your head down and crash to the rim and try to get the ball in the hoop for personal glory. Thats not how Nash plays. He doesnt care about looking good even if he has a wide open lane he wont dunk it. He just likes to be efficient. Remember leaving your feet is bad for passing...So Nash makes the defense looks stupid as he runs circles on them in the paint and has the option for a lay-up. Also Dunks are pointless for a PG because it is a risk for injury that is not needed. :banghead:

JaskoX1
08-12-2011, 10:07 PM
1. Raymond Felton 2. Steve Nash 3. Andre Miller 4. Chris Paul 5. Nolan Smith 6. Russell Westbrick 7. Patty Mills 8. Deron Williams 9. Jrue Holiday 10. Armon Johnson
Actually don't have a problem with this list other then Russell Westbroke.

also feel that Mike Conley, Jr needs some consideration in these top 10 lists.

DMV2
08-13-2011, 02:57 PM

Excellent post!!!

My Top 6 matches yours. After that it's really a toss up for vets like Kidd, Parker, Wall and so forth.

Ronin
08-14-2011, 01:59 AM
Wall will be in the top 5 after next season

Go Getter
08-20-2011, 03:43 AM
Steve Nash isnt slow and he has hops and CAN dunk. But he stated he never would. It is utterly pointless to do for a PG especially one with Nash's scoring and passing ability. If you watch Steve Nash play he like to run base line and then maybe curl into the center of the key looking for passing options if none are available he will take a simple lay-up or short fadeaway. To dunk as a PG means you are thinking in your head the whole time "I am going to dunk it" You put your head down and crash to the rim and try to get the ball in the hoop for personal glory. Thats not how Nash plays. He doesnt care about looking good even if he has a wide open lane he wont dunk it. He just likes to be efficient. Remember leaving your feet is bad for passing...So Nash makes the defense looks stupid as he runs circles on them in the paint and has the option for a lay-up. Also Dunks are pointless for a PG because it is a risk for injury that is not needed. :banghead:
:roll:

28renyoy
08-20-2011, 03:52 AM
Paul
Williams
Nash
Rose
Westbrook

Go Getter
08-21-2011, 02:51 AM
Paul
Williams