Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   This Year's Draft Sleeper (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1339)

fatboy11 06-13-2006 02:56 PM

This Year's Draft Sleeper

From ESPN.com's Chad Ford:
Quote:

2. Joel Freeland, F, 6-10, 225, England
Who says there aren't any secrets in scouting anymore? Freeland is definitely the sleeper of the camp -- maybe of the draft. Freeland's name wasn't even on the NBA's early entry list when it was released a few weeks ago. Apparently Freeland applied after the deadline, but was able to show the NBA that he intended to apply in time, so they granted an exception to his agent, Arn Tellem. Not sure exactly what that means, but that's the NBA's story.

What makes Freeland interesting is that almost everyone here believes the reason he snuck into the draft was because he's gotten a second-round promise. But from whom? Speculation centers on the Clippers, the Timberwolves and the Blazers. The Clips have two first-round picks and have been listening closely to their international scout Fabricio Besnati the past few years. The Wolves also have two first-round picks, and Reebok Eurocamp director Pete Philo also happens to be on the staff. The Blazers have picks No. 30 and No. 31 and are also said to be fans.

Why? The kid can play. I couldn't find more than one NBA scout who knew about him when I added him to our Top 100 three weeks ago. Now? They are all in love.

The 19-year-old, slender 6-10 forward from Aldershot, England played in the Spanish "B" league this year for Gran Canaria. He averaged 14.8 ppg and 7.8 rpg in 26 mpg this season.

Freeland reminds me a lot of the Knicks' David Lee. He's actually a little taller and a little longer but plays with the same energy and athleticism. He flies up and down the court and has excellent hops. He's very active defensively and has great shot-blocking timing.

Offensively he has skills. He's got a nice 12-foot jumper, and in drills, he was even sinking the international 3, though not consistently. He's got a pretty good handle and will put the ball on the floor and take his man off the dribble. He gets great elevation on his jump shot, though the form still needs a little work.

But a team is going to draft him for his motor, defense and athleticism. While most of the talk about him centers on the second round, I wouldn't be shocked to see him slip into the late first. A team could draft him and leave him overseas for a year or two to develop. A little more muscle and a little more polish and he could be a big prospect.

The article says that the Wolves have two first rounders, but I think it is supposed to say two second rounders.

A couple of years ago, the sleeper (in terms of buzz) was Viktor Sanikidze and last year it was Ian Mahinmi. Both ended up with the Spurs.

Looks like this could be the guy this year that no one really knows about that goes much higher than expected.

ALBballer 06-13-2006 02:59 PM

Hey, atleast the kid actually got minutes in Europe.

Tips4 06-17-2006 06:14 PM

Bobby Jones from Washington.

traditionone 06-17-2006 06:19 PM

Alexander Johnson from Florida State could become a sleeper.
Depending on when he gets selected, Quincy Douby could be a sleeper.

AirGauge23 06-17-2006 07:15 PM

Marcus Slaughter from SD State.

fatboy11 06-17-2006 07:47 PM

The thread wasn't intended for people to post other people who they think are sleepers.

Those guys are known already. The point of the thread was to get this Freeland cat's name out there because he is literally unknown.

Unregistered 06-17-2006 09:48 PM

Hassan Adams will be the sleeper in this year's draft

TheReturnofCed 06-17-2006 10:55 PM

Leon Powe and James WHite

JohnnyBravo5 06-19-2006 01:13 PM

Barea

Jose Barea from Northeastern. If his name wasn't Jose he'd be in the lottery.

bigboi_baller 06-19-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy11
The thread wasn't intended for people to post other people who they think are sleepers.

Those guys are known already. The point of the thread was to get this Freeland cat's name out there because he is literally unknown.

lol. i luv how even though u said that, people dont care... my sleeper: bigboi_baller in the 2009 draft

fatboy11 06-19-2006 01:25 PM

Once again, this thread isn't for people that have been projected to be drat picks for months and months. Everyone that you guys have mentioned has been projected to be drafted for months now.

The thread was for someone who the draft sites and analysts have never mentioned before. Just like Ian Mahinmi and Viktor Sanikidze in their draft years. No one knew about those guys until a few days before the draft itself yet they went very high considering.

Pistol Pete 06-19-2006 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboy11
Once again, this thread isn't for people that have been projected to be drat picks for months and months. Everyone that you guys have mentioned has been projected to be drafted for months now.

The thread was for someone who the draft sites and analysts have never mentioned before. Just like Ian Mahinmi and Viktor Sanikidze in their draft years. No one knew about those guys until a few days before the draft itself yet they went very high considering.

How does someone who averaged 15 points and 8 rebounds in Europe go unheard of among scouts all across the league? Why haven't people watched this kid play?

fatboy11 06-19-2006 02:11 PM

He plays for a B League team. He doesn't play at the highest level like Bargnani. That is probably why he's gone unnoticed.

Bill Swerski 06-19-2006 02:19 PM

Marco Belinelli, Rodney Carney, and Muhammad Saer Sene are all lower than they should be.

I, quite naturally, am a Bulls fan...

...and I want us to draft either Rodney Carney, Bargnani, or Morisson @ #2...

...and either Saer Sene/Shawne Williams @ #16...

...the last thing in the world I want is Tyrus Thomas @#2 and JJ Redick@#16 :hammerhead: :banghead: :cry:

JohnnySic 06-20-2006 09:51 AM

Craig Smith will have an impact in the league.