Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   BREAKING NEWS: Artest expect to sign with the Lakers (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138189)

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST 07-02-2009 07:14 PM

BREAKING NEWS: Artest expect to sign with the Lakers

ITS OFFICAL

Quote:

Free-agent forward Ron Artest says he's leaving the Houston Rockets to join the Los Angeles Lakers.

In a text message to ESPN.com on Thursday night, Artest wrote: "I am happy to say I am goin' to L.A."

ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reports that Artest and the Lakers have reached a verbal agreement on what is believed to be a three-year contract worth an estimated $18 million. Wednesday is the first day free agents are permitted to sign new deals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303679

dd24 07-02-2009 07:25 PM

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Artest to sign with Lakers?

Talent wise that would be the best starting 5 in the NBA. Even if Orlando could have kept Hedo I'd take the Lakers starting 5 with Artest in the lineup. It looks like Mitch is going to roll the dice and go with talent instead of youth and see if the chemistry thing works out. He'll be able to help lock up Jefferson if LA sees SA in the playoffs.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...38893/15861966

SCV42 07-02-2009 07:32 PM

Just saw that. I'll believe it when he signs the deal next week. I would rather have Ariza but he would be the financially prudent decision for the MLE.

Geez...here we go...

Robster89 07-02-2009 07:43 PM

I'll believe it when I see it as well, but if this is true, check mate Trevor Ariza.
Your agents insistance on playing hardball just cost you your dream, to be Laker for a long, long time on a championship caliber team.

ROCSteady 07-02-2009 07:54 PM

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it makes our starting 5 EXTREMELY potent and well-rounded. On the other,RIGHT NOW I think I prefer our team with Ariza cuz he has gr8 chemistry with the team. Artest takes bad shots a lot of the time. I think it's a gamble for sure. I don't have the confidence that Artest would be a Laker for a long time. However, if this works out with little to no friction, WATCH OUT NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION

Lakers_Kobe_Fan 07-02-2009 07:55 PM

YES...I wanted this man to be a Laker so long.....BYE BYE Ariza....& ur overrated arsesss & ur double overrated agent....

lakerfreak 07-02-2009 08:00 PM

Wow...if this happens I will be missing Ariza, but I will be excited to be bringing in an all-star player at the midlevel.

I will be worried about it for a little bit, but Hopefully Artest can prove to us he will be a loyal laker.

hotsizzle 07-02-2009 08:02 PM

ITS OFFICAL

Quote:

Free-agent forward Ron Artest says he's leaving the Houston Rockets to join the Los Angeles Lakers.

In a text message to ESPN.com on Thursday night, Artest wrote: "I am happy to say I am goin' to L.A."

ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reports that Artest and the Lakers have reached a verbal agreement on what is believed to be a three-year contract worth an estimated $18 million. Wednesday is the first day free agents are permitted to sign new deals.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4303679

:cheers:

Robster89 07-02-2009 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it makes our starting 5 EXTREMELY potent and well-rounded. On the other,RIGHT NOW I think I prefer our team with Ariza cuz he has gr8 chemistry with the team. Artest takes bad shots a lot of the time. I think it's a gamble for sure. I don't have the confidence that Artest would be a Laker for a long time. However, if this works out with little to no friction, WATCH OUT NATIONAL BASKETBALL ASSOCIATION

I'm with you dude.
Consider that the Lakers have a great, superstar leader (Kobe), a cagey vet and captain with 4 rings (Fish), plus the greatest coach, who is great with dealing with personalities like Ron's.
Artest is a great player, great scorer and defender, and will fit if he can be reined in a little.
Plus, he matches up so well with guys like RJ, Pierce, Melo and even Bron.
I will miss Trev. His agent is a grade A butthole!
Cost Trev his dream.
This has to signal Phil is returning.

I wish we could somehow dump Sasha, Walton and Morrison, and still sign Trev. We could trade them to any team under the cap who could simply absorb their deal, problem is all the talent out this year.
I mean, would you rather have Sasha at 5 mil per season or AI? Who will probably have to settle for MLE money. Maybe including Farmar or a future pick could entice someone enough?
I doubt it, I'm afraid Trev's agent way overplayed his hand, but I bet he winds up in Cleveland.

lakerfreak 07-02-2009 08:22 PM

Re: BREAKING NEWS: Artest expect to sign with the Lakers (3 yr/18 mil)

Wow....I realized I am more excited than I thought!

Fisher
Kobe
Artest
Pau
BEASTING BYNUM....hopefully!

Off the bench you got LO (assuming he returns) and farmar and walton.

That lineup is gonna be one defensive lineup!

The Show 07-02-2009 08:23 PM

Crazy... I'm gonna miss Ariza a lot, he had become one of my favorite Lakers. But with Artest lock down D and scoring capabilities I think we'll be an even better team in 09-10.

dd24 07-02-2009 08:43 PM

Should we start another can this team win 70 games thread :lol :rockon:

Quata 07-02-2009 08:44 PM

hoping they can resign ariza back in 3 years time, but that might be overly optimistic.

LA.MJ&KB#1 07-02-2009 08:45 PM

Welcome Ron to the world champs :party: :party: :party:Man I happy about this especially for the price...Just hope he signs soooooooooon...

Robster89 07-02-2009 08:55 PM

Incredible move by Lakers FO.
Now we have 4 starters capable of going for 20 any night (Kobe, Pau, Bynum and Artest), plus LO off the bench.
I do think we'll keep LO, probably in the 7-8 range.
I am very sad though to see Trev go.

How about this trade:
Lakers send: Sasha
Farmar
Morrison

To Memphis for Jaric.

Memphis sheds Jaric's deal (2 years 7+per)
Gets a back up young inexpensive PG for Conley (Farmar, who's is an expiring/ RFA next year), a young shooter (Morrison, also an expiring/ RFA next year), and Sasha (Memphis needs bodies and outside shooting off the bench). Sasha's deal isn't expiring, but it's about 2.5 mil less per year (for 2 years) than Jaric's

Lakers take Jaric's bad contract off their hands (he makes about 2.5 mil more than Sasha, so it frees up some salary for a poor franchise)
Plus we get Adriana Lima (Jaric's wife) at Laker games (just a bonus)
Plus it frees the Lakers of over 5 mil in salary (which Memphis can simply absorb, since they are under the cap, even with the Randolph trade), which we use to resign Trevor. (We can still sign him over the cap since he is our own FA)

Starting 5 of Kobe, Fish, Artest, Gasol, Bynum.
LO, Trev and Shannon (or Jaric) off the bench.
Plus Luke, Powell, DJ, Sun.

I know, I know, not gonna happen, I'd just love to find a way to keep Trev (and keep him away from a competitor.)