Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Memphis Grizzlies Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   A.I. To Memphis Could Happen Any Minute Disaster Or Success (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139121)

OJMayoDaFuture 07-09-2009 11:08 AM

A.I. To Memphis Could Happen Any Minute Disaster Or Success

Quote:

While one Grizzlies transaction is on hold, another potential deal -- once seemingly improbable -- could be nearing completion.
Although neither team has reneged, an agreed-upon trade between Memphis and the Los Angeles Clippers that would put power forward Zach Randolph in a Grizzlies uniform wasn't made official Wednesday for several reasons ranging from accounting to player physicals.
Meanwhile, All-Star guard Allen Iverson could be donning a Grizzlies uniform any minute.
Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley wants to meet with Iverson and is seriously considering a one-year, $5 million offer, according to team insiders. Heisley's renewed interest presents a sudden turn of events, given that the organization had all but decided to pass on Iverson.
The veteran scorer is a free agent for the first time in his professional career. Iverson, 34, is also negotiating with the Miami Heat.
What began as exploratory discussions with the Griz has turned into substantive talks, according to sources. And the Grizzlies are a house divided on the issue. There is little to no support for signing Iverson in the organization, but Heisley is having second thoughts.
Heisley will make the final call, and he is leaning toward the risk-reward given Iverson's marketing appeal and basketball ability compared with his controversial work ethic.
Heisley, the Chicago-based billionaire Grizzlies' owner, is expected to outline to Iverson a proposal that is more lucrative financially but less than what the 13-year veteran seeks in terms of his basketball role.
If Iverson joins the Grizzlies, he'll agree to be a player off the bench who conforms to the team's commitment of developing its young talent.
The Grizzlies would make clear to Iverson that he would be sent home or banished for any perceived act of insubordination.
It is still unknown whether Iverson would consent to the Grizzlies' criteria.
Iverson recently indicated via Twitter that he wanted to play a significant role on any team.
"I'm a Free Agent, healthy again, and capable of signing with any team," Iverson said. "My only preference will be to play for a coach that knows what I bring to the table and that I am going to bring it every night! Someone that knows how to best utilize my skills to make our team the very best that we can be."
Iverson's agent, Leon Rose, didn't respond to phone messages left by The Commercial Appeal.
"Some offers are on the table and discussions are ongoing," Rose told the Miami Herald for Wednesday's editions. "That's all I can really say at this point about that."
Iverson had a problem being a reserve with the playoff-bound Detroit Pistons and said he'd prefer to retire before becoming a bench player. It's a sentiment that he repeated in an interview with Detroit media last weekend.
A somewhat mysterious back injury ended Iverson's season April 3.
Iverson's scoring ability and mass appeal are indisputable. He played in 57 games for the Pistons and averaged 17.4 points and 4.9 assists. Iverson also has always been a sellout draw in Memphis, something Heisley presumably is considering.
Plus, the Griz need more backcourt scoring punch and a reliable ballhandler in reserve. Iverson, a former league MVP, has averaged 27.1 points in his career.
If the Iverson negotiations continue to progress, the Griz stand to make significant upgrades in the backcourt and on the frontline.
It could take up to five more days before the Randolph-for-Richardson swap is announced, mainly because the Griz are looking to consummate another trade scenario first.
As the NBA lifted a moratorium on transactions Wednesday, Memphis was among a few teams considering a three-way deal with Dallas and Toronto.
The Mavericks are trying to pry Shawn Marion from the Raptors in a sign-and-trade agreement and are soliciting the Grizzlies as a facilitator. It is believed that the Griz would receive veteran guard Jerry Stackhouse and cash considerations in the deal.
Stackhouse has $2 million guaranteed on a $7 million contract for next season.
Any potential Memphis-Dallas-Toronto deal would not affect the Grizzlies' agreement with the Clippers.

If It's A One-Three Year Don't Bother Me But If We Piss Off 21 Mill I Won't Be Watching A Griz Game This Year

jailer 07-09-2009 02:54 PM

Re: A.I. To Memphis Could Happen Any Minute Disaster Or Success

Its supposed to just be like around six million.

commanderbass 07-14-2009 01:45 PM

The only Place Iverson should go is Memphis. He is the only person who could help Memphis put more than 4,000 people in the seats during a game.
Going to the clippers is a horrible idea. Iverson could mentor and give the young Grizzlies some confidence and experience to learn from.
Eric Gordon is a ALL Star in the making. Blake Griffin could be too. DeAndre Jordan would have been a high lottery pick in this years draft, and is a high double-double machine with the minutes. The Clippers should dump Kaman, and not sign Iverson. There is a good article about where Iverson should end up here:
http://protectthepaint.com/2009/07/1...ar-explosions/

Great points how AI would help a hurting Memphis team, and be able to possibly change his legacy.

Interminator 07-14-2009 04:31 PM

Im sorry but this box office ticket draw of AI means absolutely nothing if he isnt the added piece to make a team a Playoff team like he would be for Charlotte.

We're still going to the Lottery next season, and simply put nobody cares about the Grizzlies unless they are winning. The Grizzlies are probably the 5th or 6th most popular team in the state after the Vols football, Titans, Tigers basketball, Lady Vols basketball and you can argue all day who is more popular between Vols mens basketball, Tigers football, or the Memphis Grizzlies.

Casual basketball fans just dont want to pay such high prices to watch a developmental product on the court.

O.J A 6'4Mamba 07-14-2009 06:21 PM

When we win games this year the fans will support us. If we don't it will be like a High School Attendance.

BigSims2108 07-14-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
When we win games this year the fans will support us. If we don't it will be like a High School Attendance.

And another thing you have to realize since A.I. is and always been about himself, that might factor into O.J.'s, Mike's, and Rudy's development into team players.

NeeJ49er 07-27-2009 03:00 PM

Man ..I hope you guys stay away from Iverson , he will ruin the team chemistry and keep the team from improving and developing camaradrie, Iverson is only looking to get paid and be the #1 option, his ego destroyed Detroit as he threw the Pistons under the bus and left them hanging in the playoffs...Iverson doesnt care about the concept of the team, he's only looking out for #1 at this stage in his career.

Any team looking to improve should stay away from him...

jailer 07-27-2009 11:51 PM

Hes not coming here anyways

Kebab Stall 07-28-2009 07:30 AM

I don't think the Grizzlies were ever serious about signing Iverson. Contract they offered him was pretty poor from Iverson's viewpoint.

jailer 07-28-2009 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kebab Stall
I don't think the Grizzlies were ever serious about signing Iverson. Contract they offered him was pretty poor from Iverson's viewpoint.

It was poor but it was still higher than anyone else was offering him.

mamba24 07-29-2009 05:07 AM

Iverson in miami is more likely....the heat should just trade fro boozer...and if they can steal odom...sign iverson and get the others off the bench...and see if the experiment works.

berraco 07-29-2009 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamba24
Iverson in miami is more likely....the heat should just trade fro boozer...and if they can steal odom...sign iverson and get the others off the bench...and see if the experiment works.

It's always nice to see Iverson destroying a team that's not yours. So good luck for him in Miami if he gets a deal.

Maniak 07-29-2009 01:06 PM

Brining AI here would cement the fact that Chris Wallace is a terrible GM, for those who dont already know.

jailer 07-29-2009 03:39 PM

We will see. The jury is still out on chris wallace. This is his second off season. I would give him one more to really see how well he has done.

goldenryan 07-29-2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maniak
Brining AI here would cement the fact that Chris Wallace is a terrible GM, for those who dont already know.

he's not a terrible gm for the lakers