Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Pistons Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Point Guard situation? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168720)

GunFactor007 03-29-2010 10:57 AM

Point Guard situation?

Are we REALLY well off where we're at right now or do we need as much help with that position as we do in our frontcourt?

idizzle 03-29-2010 12:13 PM

Re: Point Guard situation?

I think the Pistons should draft a PG, move Stuckey to the SG, trade Rip and Tay, and sign a frontcourt player.

I would like to see either Boozer or David Lee. Both are capable of putting up a double double and are good passers.

dd24 04-02-2010 11:39 AM

That's almost what we should have done last year :lol . If we had the opportunity I would draft either Wall or Turner. Other than that I think it should be a center. Stuckey has proven this year he is our best player on the roster. He has proven he can play PG but has been asked to be the scorer for the team because he is really the only one in the back court who can create on his own. We're certainly not as bad at PG as everyone thinks. The more I think about it I don't want to trade Rip. I want to trade BG and Charlie. Rip is a solid player. We know his game and know what he can consistently do. BG we know is consistently inconsistent. We also know he is way over rated. That's the contract that will kill Detroit for years to come unless we unload it. Besides at this point the only way to get a Lee or Boozer type player is through a sign and trade. BG will be one of those guys mentioned just because of the money he makes and the need to match contracts. At the end of the day, they should have never traded Chauncey.... it was bad for the team from a win-loss stand point and it was a very bad business move. When the team isn't winning the fans jump overboard which is why they aren't making near as much money.

jbryan1984 04-05-2010 07:15 AM

Personally Detroit fans, I think its time to rebuild. Dumars has depended on the same crew for so long now. Rasheed left and you signed Gordon and Villanueva but Big Ben came back and Prince and Rip are still there. Its basically the same thing. He traded the wrong guy (Billups). Getting AI the first year he really started to lose his funk had to make you guys sick, especially after seeing how Chauncey is playing since going to Denver.

dd24 04-05-2010 11:56 AM

Time to rebuild? We're already rebuilding. I think Joe D is just waiting to pull the trigger on another trade. There will be 4 names that come up in the rumors, Prince, Hamilton, Gordon, and Villaneuva.

idizzle 04-28-2010 01:11 PM

The Pistons need to look out for this guy in June in the 2nd round of the draft.

Armon Johnson of Nevada.

I really like this guy.

He is a mix of Chauncey Billups and Antonio Daniel

His stat line from college.

PPG APG RPG BPG SPG
15.7 5.6 3.4 0.4 0.8

el gringos 04-29-2010 12:48 PM

No pgs except for wall and avery bradley- most likely in your draft spot will be a pf or maybe johnson/henry/turner at the 2 or bradley
------
You can only rebuild by moving rip- then you could move bg and cv-
---
Indiana gets- rip hamilton + ty lawson + birdman
Detroit gets- tj ford + kenyon martin + troy murphy + fut den 1st
Denver gets- ben G + villenueva + a daye
------
Then det has prince, kmart, tj ford, and troy murphy all as almost 50 some mill in expiring deals
----
Of course if dumars set up 40-50 mill of expirers it would be writing his own ticket out of town possibly- one more nugs trade and dumars is owed a job anyway, get it done

dd24 04-29-2010 05:35 PM

I don't like that trade for Detroit.

boozehound 04-30-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idizzle
I think the Pistons should draft a PG, move Stuckey to the SG, trade Rip and Tay, and sign a frontcourt player.

I would like to see either Boozer or David Lee. Both are capable of putting up a double double and are good passers.

what pg would you have them draft? there arent any worth taking in the lottery besides wall IMO. I think there guard rotation is fine. they need to move rip (and shouldve kept afflalo), but stuckey and bg are great starters and the rest of the minutes end up with bynum (assuming we keep him, which we will). We need to use any and all available avenues to fix our FC. Trading away amir and afflalo for space to waste on wilcox was dumb and obviously didnt work.

boozehound 04-30-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
I don't like that trade for Detroit.

yeah, that trade is terrible for detroit.

dd24 04-30-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boozehound
what pg would you have them draft? there arent any worth taking in the lottery besides wall IMO. I think there guard rotation is fine. they need to move rip (and shouldve kept afflalo), but stuckey and bg are great starters and the rest of the minutes end up with bynum (assuming we keep him, which we will). We need to use any and all available avenues to fix our FC. Trading away amir and afflalo for space to waste on wilcox was dumb and obviously didnt work.

I agree for the most part with this. There's a lot of PG's in the draft, but I just don't see many of them being the game changer type. Of course if I could draft Wall or even Evan Turner (as a combo guard) I would do that in a heartbeat. Turner I think is the best player in the draft and will be a huge player in the league. He's a can't miss kind of guy. Outside of that I'm all for going big. I also still don't like having BG on this team (for the money he is paid).

Jumpman10135 05-03-2010 09:27 PM

I PUT THIS IN BOLD BECAUSE IM RIGHT! WE HAVE MORE TO WORRY ABOUT THEN STARTING PG. STUCKEY AND BEN WALLACE WERE THE ONLY TWO WHO PLAYED BETTER THEN EXPECTED LAST SEASON.

dd24 05-04-2010 01:23 AM

I think Stuckey by far was our best player last season. Heck he was probably our only good player, besides Jerebko being a bright spot as a rookie. I like what Ben did since it wasn't expected but we did end up having the worst front court in the NBA....

I don't think anyone is thinking about picking a PG with the first round pick though. Of course if we get the #1 pick you can't pass on Wall. Also if we get the #2 pick there is no way you could pass on Evan Turner. I would consider taking Turner with the #1 pick too. I think he might end up being a better player than Wall. He's a game changer. Outside of that I think everybody agrees we should go after a big man.

Nastradamus 07-01-2010 07:59 PM

I wouldn't mind a backup PG who can shoot, but I'll be ok if we just keep Bynum. I think Stuckey is in the mold of guys like Westbrook,Rondo and D.Rose. He can get to the rim at will, defend any guard in the league(I didn't say shut down) and is learning to be a true point. He is a guy who can create offense at the end of important games IMO and thats why I like him so much. Combined with Gordon, good luck stopping us in a close game, if we get a big anyways.

dd24 07-01-2010 08:10 PM

Well, it's looking more and more like Bynum will be the back up again. I have no problems with that as there isn't a lot on the FA market and Detroit doesn't have much for cap space.

By the way, we do have a big now. It's Greg Monroe. I think it's likely he could be our opening day starter at C, though they might just give it to Ben.