Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Miami Heat Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is Hack-a-Shaq much different than Intentional Walks?? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1837)

Tarik One 06-19-2006 01:21 AM

Is Hack-a-Shaq much different than Intentional Walks??

I lot of people do not like it when teams employ the Hack a Shaq routine during crunch time perhaps thinking it's a cheap tactic. My question is: Is it really that much different in comparison to a baseball team walking Bonds or Pujols in a tight ballgame? They foul Shaq knowing there is a big possibility that he will not score just like a baseball team will walk a slugger knowing there is a possibility that he will score also.

Qwyjibo 06-19-2006 01:30 AM

Pretty much.

It's a perfectly fair thing to do. The team that does it risks it giving him wide open uncontested shots. I'm surprised it isn't utilized more often with Shaq and Ben Wallace.

HoosierDaddy13 06-19-2006 01:37 AM

I don't care for baseball, but it's not quite the same thing as an intentional walk.

It's gotta be humbling for the self-proclaimed MDE to whimper on his way over to the bench in crunchtime. "I make 'em when they count" LMAO. Wade once again saved his ass.

Tarik One 06-19-2006 10:16 AM

^ And notice Shaq had this mean scowl on his face when Riles took him out. Hell they most likely would have lost if he stayed on the floor. Shaq is an expert and deferring the blame on others, but in this case he can't be mad at anyone but himself.

Rasheed1 06-19-2006 12:00 PM

Dallas f*cked themselves by using the hack-a-shaq and putting themselves in the penalty early in overtime.....

Why foul Shaq and use up your team fouls like that....they were simply stopping the clock and piling up fouls..they werent even gettin him on the line, just side inbounds and keep playing....Once they get in the penalty, all the sudden Wade is going to the free throw line every time Dallas touched him..

Bad coaching move by Avery

mavsfan4zindagi 06-19-2006 12:01 PM

Like Rasheed1 said, it was an absolutely awful coaching move by Avery.

Dick Biggly 06-19-2006 01:37 PM

There's nothing Barry Bonds or Pujols can do to stop being intentionally walked (other than maybe stop being so good?). Shaq could stop the Hack-a-Snaq by hitting his free throws, which he seems to be getting worse at.

JSub 06-19-2006 01:45 PM

Hack-a-Ben is much more effective that Hack-a-Shaq.

djfleet 06-19-2006 03:38 PM

it's not a bad strategy when employed properly, but the mavs really f'd it up last night. fouled out diop for nothing. burned up fouls when they weren't in the penalty. kept shaq out of the game for a grand total of about 30 seconds. pathetic. not to mention it completely ruins the game for everyone watching AND playing.

Rab 06-19-2006 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Dallas f*cked themselves by using the hack-a-shaq and putting themselves in the penalty early in overtime.....

Why foul Shaq and use up your team fouls like that....they were simply stopping the clock and piling up fouls..they werent even gettin him on the line, just side inbounds and keep playing....Once they get in the penalty, all the sudden Wade is going to the free throw line every time Dallas touched him..

Bad coaching move by Avery

Co-sign. Horrible move from Avery.

Bill Swerski 06-19-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarik One
My question is: Is it really that much different in comparison to a baseball team walking Bonds or Pujols in a tight ballgame?

It is different, because when Bonds/Pujols walk, it's far more advantageous for their teams, than O'Neal @ the foul line for Miami.:applause: :roll:

Bill Swerski 06-19-2006 03:43 PM

BTW, calling hack-a-Shaq when you're not in the bonus is str8 retaaaaaadead

adizm_55 06-19-2006 04:10 PM

I agree that there was absolutely no reason to foul shaq toward the end of that game. Tjey wasted fouls to give the heat the ball out of bounds and put them in the penalty. Absolutely idiotic.

Timmeh 06-19-2006 04:16 PM

it's completely different

In basketball: You send Shaq to the line, he misses, you grab the rebound, now you can score.

In baseball: You walk Pujols, you have the next batter coming up where he can hit a home run and score