Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Draft Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   allen ray is severly underrated (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1985)

brooklynchild155 06-19-2006 10:46 PM

allen ray is severly underrated

every mock draft i see allen ray is a mid second rounder. whoever gets this guy is goin to be a very happy team. he was one of the best shooters in the nation. with his ability he should be a first rounder.

Aussie Dunker 06-19-2006 11:39 PM

mahn your so rite, on one of the mock drafts i saw him at number 60! going to my pistons, i was shocked, i thought this cat would be a top 20 pick, i watched a lot of his games, he can straight out shoot from anywhere, and he is so solidon defense, he SHOULD be a first rounder for sure...

HoustonRockets87 06-20-2006 12:27 AM

the only thing hurting him is his height and the fact that he's a sg.

AKADS 06-20-2006 02:05 AM

6'2'' SG. But i would love to see the Cavs get him.

With Hughes and LeBron there is no real need for a Point.

KiNG 06-20-2006 01:04 PM

i dont see how hes not in the first round in these mock drafts, one of novas best players, wasnt for him they wouldent of made it that far

chuclebuny5 06-20-2006 01:59 PM

people think he is too small to play 2-guard at 6'2", but he has a 6'8.5" wingspan and his reach is 8'3.5", 2" more that redicks. He could be a great steal in round 2

ThaKing 06-20-2006 02:16 PM

I agree with Ray being underrated. At 6-2 he does appear to be too small to play the 2 in the NBA. I am not real familiar with his skill set, but can he not play the point? I think if someone takes a chance on him and he learns to play the point,he could be a good player in the league.

SecondFiddle 06-20-2006 08:22 PM

Ray Allen is at least 6'4 did you see how little he made Denzell look in he got game.

yeahwhathesaid 06-23-2006 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecondFiddle
Ray Allen is at least 6'4 did you see how little he made Denzell look in he got game.

:roll: :roll:

Thorpesaurous 06-23-2006 02:45 PM

Ray played a lot of PF for Nova believe it or not. On a team that was way undersized, but still managed to outplay a huge UConn team loaded with potential NBA frontcourt guys.

Teams may see a little Shaun Respert in him, but it would be unfair to hold Respert's health related failures against Allen Ray. Wade was also considered too small for the 2, and had his wingspan overlooked (not jumping to any sort of conclusions).

mln03 06-23-2006 02:53 PM

man, i think your confusing Ray with Foye. Ray is strictly a 2. Foye was the one guarding the 4's when nova went to the 4 guard sets.

Ray is definitely a lights out shooter and can put the ball on the floor a little, but for some reason came up small 2 years in a row when nova really needed him. I think high second round is fair for an undersized 2.

dwillreg 06-23-2006 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
Ray played a lot of PF for Nova believe it or not. On a team that was way undersized, but still managed to outplay a huge UConn team loaded with potential NBA frontcourt guys.

Teams may see a little Shaun Respert in him, but it would be unfair to hold Respert's health related failures against Allen Ray. Wade was also considered too small for the 2, and had his wingspan overlooked (not jumping to any sort of conclusions).

Ya that was Foye being the 4th guard. I agree that Ray is an undersized 2 that can stroke it but his value should be in the late first.

wang4three 06-23-2006 03:38 PM

Ray is good but wayyyy to inconsistent. If his jumper isn't falling, he's pretty much out of the game. He has good reach and can play good defense, but he's not a first rounder in this draft.

kkinchen 06-23-2006 04:44 PM

allen ray

pure shooting 2-guards are really not that useful in today's game. I mean, look at the teams that have won championship in the past 6 years. Miami Heat, Spurs, Pistons, and Lakers. So, we are looking at D-Wade, Ginobili, Rip Hamilton (perhaps ray could become this type of player but I doubt it) and Kobe Bryant.

The new 2-guard is a slasher with a killer mid-range jumper. If you are a pure shooter in this league, expect to be riding the bench for many years, and not really contributing that much to your team. And, you might argue that Allan Ray could be the next rip hamilton, except rip is 5" taller than him, and is the most fit player in the league. so, i really don't think he has much to offer.

DonBoston 06-27-2006 05:15 PM

Alan Ray

Daughter went to Nova saw Ray play for four years. Good college player but not very athletic basically a jump shooter. Not nearly the athlete Randy Foye is.

He will earn a living playing pro basketball but it will probably be in Europe.

NBA 11th or 12th player at best !!