Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Toronto Raptors Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Heat/Mavs - Guy I would love on the Raptors (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224967)

Jballer 06-01-2011 10:46 AM

Heat/Mavs - Guy I would love on the Raptors

So I watched the game.

Brendon Haywood played some very respectable minutes last night.

No not all star or anything like that but over all he was solid in the paint on D - sucked up RBs - is really a starting center on most teams.

Haywood signed a 6 year - 55 Mil deal last year so he has 5 more at 9MM per roughly.

I think he would be the awesome centerpiece to play with Ed Davis and Derozan/Johnson at the 3. That would be an exciting front court. I think Haywoods game would match up nice ; his vetern pressence a perfect fit.

Of course the only issue is prying him away from Dallas - but if they want to resign Chandler and a new cap is a lot harder old Cuban may have to make choices.

Nastradamus 06-01-2011 11:24 AM

Re: Heat/Mavs - Guy I would love on the Raptors

Haywood would fit in nicely with this group. Give them some size and toughness. What do you give up though? If Kidd retires, Calderon would fit. That ain't happening though. They don't need Barbosa or Bargs(probably).

bluerap 06-01-2011 02:24 PM

I could see a big deal with the mavs.

With bargs and calderon

for haywood and someone else (maybe marion?).

Except that would be a terrible defensive downgrade for them.

Qwyjibo 06-01-2011 03:37 PM

The Mavs have zero need for Bargnani. Especially at his current price. I don't think they want to be paying a PF/C $10 million per year to, likely, play 15-20 minutes per game for them. Cuban already runs a high payroll that (I think) runs them into the luxury tax every year.

RapsFan 06-01-2011 03:48 PM

We have a long way to go....Haywood = less ping pong balls. We need draft picks, short contracts.

Nastradamus 06-01-2011 04:34 PM

I hate the argument that you are too far away to add talent. You'll be a lot less far away if you add talented players to the roster. You don't need a 2 deep of 10 all stars. You have a developing young player at every position, a top 5 pick, another 1st, a TPE and some other tradeable assets. There is no reason to be that far away for any team in the NBA.

RapsFan 06-01-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nastradamus
I hate the argument that you are too far away to add talent. You'll be a lot less far away if you add talented players to the roster. You don't need a 2 deep of 10 all stars. You have a developing young player at every position, a top 5 pick, another 1st, a TPE and some other tradeable assets. There is no reason to be that far away for any team in the NBA.

We simply aren't close to being legit, sorry. So taking on like $45 mill for Brendan Haywood to me isn't a great decision. :confusedshrug: It's not about adding talent, it's about adding talent at a certain price, which should definitely matter.

Prodigy 06-01-2011 10:03 PM

Yeah....

No. Way way overpaid.

Toni 06-01-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigy
Yeah....

No. Way way overpaid.

+1

Good player but makes too much for too many years for what he brings to the table. Plus he doesn't fit in to our rebuilding plan.

Jballer 06-02-2011 09:28 AM

The real reason I thinks its even "remotely possible" with Dallas is :

- they want to sing and retain Chandler as their starting 5

- 45 million to Haywood over next 5 years or so is actually more of a cap hit than say Barges which is 40 MM - 10 Million for 4 more years. Given the math it actually works out both ways ?

- perhaps they think that Barges could be mentored by Dirk...

Pure speculation on my part

-----

As for bringing in long term "over priced talent" - compared to what please?

Keeping Barges here that doesnt fit the team? In addition now to the "softly expressed hard feelings" probably on both sides - player and managment. In addition to the abortive deal for Jose last year with the same situation??

There are very few teams that I can think of off hand willing to surrender a series of short term contracts that will come "off the cap" soon in exchange for a player like Barge or Calderon.

Especially with a new CBA coming ?

Everyone here suggests the only way to go is to dump dump dump and go young - No Channing Frye is no good - no Haywood is no good - no Oden is no good but there simply isnt a trade to move Barges Calderon or others that doesnt imply :

1) some risk of underperformance coming back and or
2) some risk of serious money under the cap becuase that is what we are trading away.

Really to be honest and practical you have to look at these type of deals and think which player would fit with the young roster and could be a mentor.

Frankly I seriously hope re resign Reggie back. The money we save on letting weems go can go to Reggie.