Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Greg Oden is still healing and not cleared for basketball activity (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240423)

insidehoops 11-27-2011 01:03 AM

Greg Oden is still healing and not cleared for basketball activity

He can do drills, but has not yet been medically cleared to really play basketball

Skim-read this for more info: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8630

What do you think: Will Oden ever be fully healthy and a force in the league?

Kurosawa0 11-27-2011 01:08 AM

Re: Greg Oden is still healing and not cleared for basketball activity

The guy was drafted in 2007. It's now almost 2012 and Oden has played 82 games... total.

That's all you need to know. Bush was still President when Oden was drafted.

Kblaze8855 11-27-2011 01:09 AM

Hard to say no....

He looked good last I saw him playing. Like the type to have a bigger impact than his numbers.

So I wouldnt be surprised if hes a 12/12/3 block type everyone wants on their team. But I dont believe hes gonna get any better than like...post MVP level but still really good Zo. Like...2002 Zo who I believe was already dealing with the medical issues.

magnax1 11-27-2011 01:15 AM

People have way to little faith in this guy. Even the most injured players of all time have posted at least one basically full season. Plus if he didn't foul every time down the court he'd already be a 15-12 guy. If I was a GM I'd snatch this guy up while he was cheap, even if it's a big risk. He's definitely worth it.

pete's montreux 11-27-2011 01:18 AM

Big Z's first four seasons were completely injury riddled and he came back to become a very good NBA player so It's not far fetched.

Kurosawa0 11-27-2011 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnax1
If I was a GM I'd snatch this guy up while he was cheap, even if it's a big risk. He's definitely worth it.

Depends on what "cheap" means. Anything above the mid level?

inclinerator 11-27-2011 01:26 AM

shocking

Meticode 11-27-2011 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Big Z's first four seasons were completely injury riddled and he came back to become a very good NBA player so It's not far fetched.

True, but it's not to the extend of what Oden's gone through. Z had issues with the same foot. Oden has issues with both his knees now...

And in Z's first season he played all 82 games and started 81 of those. Equally what Oden's done in his first seasons up until now. He played over 160 gamers his first 4 seasons.

I definitely see what you're saying and agree with you, but Z's stuff doesn't see as bad as Oden's. Especially considering the Blazers history with passing up Jordan for you know who. Except this time they passed up Durant for Oden.

Meticode 11-27-2011 01:28 AM

I thought the Blazers extended a $8+ million offer to Oden? Whatever happened to that?

Hammertime 11-27-2011 01:31 AM

The new CBA ought to contain a provision that prohibits the Blazers from drafting a center if they hold a top-5 pick.

LA_Showtime 11-27-2011 03:57 AM

:oldlol:

tomtucker 11-27-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
The guy was drafted in 2007. It's now almost 2012 and Oden has played 82 games... total.

That's all you need to know. Bush was still President when Oden was drafted.

And when Little Greg was in kindergarden, the president was Thomas Jefferson

ukballer 11-27-2011 05:49 AM

Quote:

The sad thing is though, all the 'what if' questions we will no doubt be asking for years to come about what his real potential was if completely healthy.

Big Z, as solid a career as he had, was never likely to be a dominating force the magnitude of what Oden was supposed to be. If he does come back and have a really solid career, it might make you think he could have been something special if not for his health issues.

It's just sad, I feel bad for the guy. I can't help but worry something else will happen to him once he's back and playing eventually.

The_Yearning 11-27-2011 06:07 AM

Quote:

Big Z could shoot though... and he is smarter.

Joshumitsu 11-27-2011 10:46 AM

I don't expect anything out of him anymore. He's already working hard to come back and fate keeps dealing him the wrong cards.

I mean, he still has 10-12 years of high level basketball in him if he ever heals up. I think everyone just wishes him the best of luck.