Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Help on Loosing Weight (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24444)

Hot Shot Rox 01-02-2007 10:37 PM

Help on Loosing Weight

Okay here's the deal, I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall and 230 lbs. My new years resolution is to loose weight this year. Maybe 40 lbs over the next 7 months. I play basketball every other day, but thats not enough, so im posting if anyone can help a bro out on what type of diet and exercise I should plan out. Any advice is great. Thanks.

LAZYBOY 01-02-2007 10:49 PM

donuts....hmmm......beer, maybe a cup of lard here and there.:cheers:

Hot Shot Rox 01-02-2007 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LAZYBOY
donuts....hmmm......beer, maybe a cup of lard here and there.:cheers:

Should I really take the advise from a person who's user name is LAZYBOY, no thanks. haha, but yeah seriously anyone?

ALBballer 01-02-2007 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Shot Rox
Should I really take the advise from a person who's user name is LAZYBOY, no thanks. haha, but yeah seriously anyone?

I would give you advice, but I think you already know the answer, eat right. Which basically means subsitute sodas/drinks for water and fat-free milk. Eat vegetable, have egg whites for breakfeast, and work out. For working out startoff with some aerobics (10-20 minutes), do some light workouts (20-30 minutes) and do some more aerobics.

If you do all of that, you should loose weight. You should PM Hateraid if you want to get some info on supplements, if you want to take them.

Hot Shot Rox 01-02-2007 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALBballer
I would give you advice, but I think you already know the answer, eat right. Which basically means subsitute sodas/drinks for water and fat-free milk. Eat vegetable, have egg whites for breakfeast, and work out. For working out startoff with some aerobics (10-20 minutes), do some light workouts (20-30 minutes) and do some more aerobics.

If you do all of that, you should loose weight. You should PM Hateraid if you want to get some info on supplements, if you want to take them.

Thanks, my diet probably kills me the most. I know how important it is to eat 3 meals a day but I just don't do it. I usually drink a cup of juice in the morning and not eat anything but small snaks till around 5 or 6 when I eat a big meal. Thats probably something i REALLY need to work on. So yeah I'm going to start eatin 3x, shorten the quantity, and raise the nutrition quality. And what kind of light workouts do u suggest?

WuTangWizard 01-03-2007 12:00 AM

You gotta eat breakfast, it speeds up your metabolism. Also don't eat alot before you go to sleep.

WuTangWizard 01-03-2007 12:13 AM

double post

jbot 01-03-2007 02:41 AM

exercise and eat low fat stuff. drink water, no sodas. i should take my own advice, i'm pretty much in the same boat.

hateraid 01-03-2007 12:20 PM

The basis of weight loss is calorie expenditure over calorie intake. Simply put, burn more calories than you eat. Also have a proper proportion of calories. Here's a little hint, *quality protien burns fat*. Drink water, and have alot of fibre in the morning.

Thanks ALB for the nod on the supplements, but it is a little misleading. Yes, supplements work, but they really only accelerate the results, not do it for you.

SupermanOnSteroids 01-03-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbot
exercise and eat low fat stuff. drink water, no sodas. i should take my own advice, i'm pretty much in the same boat.

the whole low fat thing is way too overrated. you need fat to be able to burn fat. its the excess carbs you need to worry about. just manage your total caloric intake and make sure you still get a proper diet. i.e. limit your empty calories like coke, candies, simple sugars.

bballer 01-03-2007 06:39 PM

try eating less carbs

Hot Shot Rox 01-03-2007 06:53 PM

I got rid of all the junk food. thats 1 step closer. I think that if i eat 3 meals a day, no junk food, lots of vegies, drink noting but water and fat free milk, and run a mile day and aerobics, ill get it done. what kind of supplements will help me lloose weight? :confusedshrug:

HALLandOATES 01-03-2007 07:18 PM

Cut your calories, its shouldn't be a diet if you're going to stick to it, it should be a life style. You're suppose to get 2000 calories a day, because your body burns 2000 calories a day on its own, so if you eat 2000, you maintain your weight, get it? 2000 calories is alot of food to, just don't eat junk food, fast food and candy, shtt like that. Running a mile a day is pretty good to, but i'd run 2 miles every other day because you've gotta to give your body a day to rest.

Supplements don't make you lose weight, they're suppose to help cravings, but really you're the only one who can do that, thats why they don't usually work.

Rameek 01-03-2007 07:41 PM

weight loss is not as simple as it seems... i suggest you consult your primary physician...

FashionIssues 01-03-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Shot Rox
Okay here's the deal, I'm 6 feet 2 inches tall and 230 lbs. My new years resolution is to loose weight this year. Maybe 40 lbs over the next 7 months. I play basketball every other day, but thats not enough, so im posting if anyone can help a bro out on what type of diet and exercise I should plan out. Any advice is great. Thanks.

it's been 2 years since i've shed 35 lbs. any nutritionalist will tell you the same: eat 4 to 5 small meals in a 13-15 hour period...small portioned meals that's high in protien (i.e. chicken, fish, protien shakes or bars). stay away from grease! if not just indulge once in a blue moon. replace soda (even energy drinks) with water. my workout regiment included 30-40 min cardio 5-6 days/wk, 4 sets of any wieght train 4 days/wk, and slight abdominal work everynight before bedtime or anytime you like...it's all in the head, if you put your mind into it, it becomes second nature really fast.