Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Dont you hate it when... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245429)

305Baller 12-29-2011 11:45 PM

Dont you hate it when...

Scrubs think they are better than you on the court and refuse to pass you the ball?

Or instead of swinging it they decide that you are not a good player and freeze you out?

I hate streetball because it is an ego driven game.

I guess the rec league is the same thing but damn it I wish I could play with players that know how to be in a fluid offense where everyone makes the game easier for each other and support each other.

This ego thing... I may as well ballhog.

Kiarip 12-30-2011 02:03 PM

Re: Dont you hate it when...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 305Baller
Scrubs think they are better than you on the court and refuse to pass you the ball?

Or instead of swinging it they decide that you are not a good player and freeze you out?

I guess the rec league is the same thing but damn it I wish I could play with players that know how to be in a fluid offense where everyone makes the game easier for each other and support each other.

Playing with people at my school... this frankly never happens tbh. On the other hand when I play in the park, yeah sometimes it does, never with players who have actual basketball experience though.

ElBronco 12-30-2011 10:32 PM

Happens all the time if you are a one dimensional player like me (wing defense, open jump shots). Since I'm not better than many of the guys I play against I don't complain unless they freeze me out completly even when I'm in a good spot to score or pass. But usually I play hard enough to win enough respect to get the ball when I deserve it.

If you're better then they are you have to call them out, and if it comes to it either beat them in a one on one game or beat them up. Hopefully they see reason before then.

JerrySteakhouse 12-31-2011 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 305Baller

This only happens when I go to new courts or against a bunch of new guys. They don't pass till they see you do something. Always gotta earn the respect of your teammates. I've played with guys who never passed to begin with but by the end of our runs they would be giving me the ball every possession.

But I usually go to the courts with my buddies so it doesn't happen anymore.

Rake2204 01-03-2012 08:22 PM

I don't come across this too often these days, but there's always folks like that who exist. To be totally truthful, I sort of like when a player initially thinks I am not very skilled. Often it's the players who show up in tandems or groups that are showcasing that initial disrespect. I love overconfidence and I like displaced confidence even more. Yes, I love competition, but there's also something to be said about putting poorly skilled, overconfident players in their place.

If there's a guy who thinks he's going to come in and absolutely run the court, I'll even sort of chill out on my warm-ups a little bit so I appear to be even more unassuming and unskilled. And to be clear, I'm not a DI talent or anything, but I'm solid enough that I've been able to give a lot of overconfident scrubs a reality check real quick. And man, if I get a dunk early on. . .very satisfying to watch the tables turn.

On the other hand, when that person is my teammate, it's not quite as easy to break through. Often, if I'm not seeing the ball in the half-court, I try to remind myself of all the other options I have for getting the rock in my hands. A lot of times, it's just a matter of recommitting to the glass, offensively and defensively. Snagging a defensive board and initiating a break is totally in my control. Standing on the perimeter and hoping the ball is swung my way by a guy with a low basketball I.Q. is not. So I just try to do what I control. But yes, that doesn't mean those moments aren't frustrating.

jamal99 01-04-2012 01:03 AM

It happened to me multiple times after I hit 2 or 3 threes in a row, one of my teammates goes on to chuck very contested and stupid shot instead of passing to me because Im on fire. Sometimes seems that people to that on purpose...

Pushxx 01-09-2012 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JerrySteakhouse
This only happens when I go to new courts or against a bunch of new guys. They don't pass till they see you do something.

This.

It's generally not a problem for me. While shooting around before teams get picked, I'm automatic from 3 and dunking at 6' tall. This buys people right away.

I've had it happen where people don't know me and don't let me run the point. Then when I get my hands on the ball and make something happen they are like "oh...he can play" and it doesn't happen again lol. :D

No Name 01-09-2012 10:35 PM

This happened to me a few months ago. This total failure at basketball(he literally looked like he never played basketball in his life) was trash talking to me and not passing while he double dribbles on a 1-on-none fastbreak. :facepalm

Pushxx 01-09-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Name
This happened to me a few months ago. This total failure at basketball(he literally looked like he never played basketball in his life) was trash talking to me and not passing while he double dribbles on a 1-on-none fastbreak. :facepalm

I would hope you play with people that don't stand for that garbage.

Every once in a while I find a game that is just ridiculous, immature, stupid, way unprofessional, etc. When this happens I swallow my pride, look like a weirdo, and go to another hoop/court. I've learned the best thing to do is to just ignore the situation. I usually look like a prude, loser, or asshole but who cares? I don't want to play with them in the first place.

I even had this one time a guy was handchecking me like crazy and going nuts on me. After trash talking back and forth, I torched him on a couple plays, and he started pushing me here and there and nobody cared. I just up and walked away from the game. I don't put up with that shit.

Playing with a chip on my shoulder helps me, but the best players do this without having to prove anything. When a situation like that arises, gotta just go away. I've seen too many morons fighting over egos in basketball.