Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   *insert quarterback* won with a terrible defense. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248591)

Carbine 01-19-2012 07:43 PM

*insert quarterback* won with a terrible defense.

You know if the Patriots go on to win the superbowl, five years down the road the majority of fans will spew from the mouth that Brady won with the last or second last ranked defense.

What if the Giants win the superbowl?

His (Eli) defense was ranked 27th in defense this year and gave up almost 4 more points per game than the much maligned Patriots defense.

I'll give you the answer - most people will say they won a superbowl in large part because of their defense.

Double standard? :confusedshrug:

StateProperty 01-19-2012 07:45 PM

Re: *insert quarterback* won with a terrible defense.

f*ck Tom Brady and f*ck Eli Manning

that's your answer

:)

code green 01-19-2012 07:50 PM

Our defense isn't as god-awful as everyone makes it out to be. Yeah, we've got our weaknesses. You can throw on us all day, and big bruising running backs seem to run wild on us. We're clearly the worst out of the teams remaining in the playoffs, and probably the 2nd worst in the entire playoffs. I think we were dead last in yards given up per game too. But at the end of the day, I think we were 11th or 12th in points given up per game this season. Not great, but not the horrible mess national commentators have been claiming we have.

At the same time, I'm mentally listing all the Super Bowl winners since the late 90s and can't really find many examples. Maybe New Orleans, that's about it.

niko 01-19-2012 07:56 PM

Our defense lost players from the moment training camp begun. We were a defense that lost too many key pieces and was playing terrible. Now, a good portion of people are back (either starters or the people who became starters after early season ending injuries) and we are playing well.

NE is a crappy defense which has played above it's head. They have backups, Carter their main pass rushers is hurt, and they have used OFFENSIVE players on defense as starters.

Our defense at times has played poorly. Now it's playing well. NE's defense is inarguably very poor. Name one thing they do well? Not blow gigantic leads?

niko 01-19-2012 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StateProperty

that's your answer

Yeah, **** them for not being injury prone, and treating the football like turnovers were a stat they got a bonus payout for like your QB does.

-p.tiddy- 01-19-2012 07:59 PM

Giants D wasn't ever healthy till the end of the season

they have an elite D

niko 01-19-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
Giants D wasn't ever healthy till the end of the season

they have an elite D

No we don't, we have elite pass rushers who cover up a lot of wholes in the secondary (which are solid but not spectacular) and our linebacking core is playing much better but Boley and Blackburn are not quite elite. We also have Kiwanuka running around out there covering people when he is enormous and really cannot.

If we are elite what is SF? What is Baltimore? Mega Elite?

You should know better, you have Ware. When Ware is causing havoc, your defense looks great. It didn't become great.

We are good playing great but our defense is third best out of four teams playing.

UtahJazzFan88 01-19-2012 10:55 PM

Romo

j/k *causes Giants/Eagles uproar*

imdaman99 01-19-2012 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StateProperty

that's your answer

:lol philly fans must be so jealous of eli and brady.

im glad they signed vick to so many years :D

knickballer 01-20-2012 12:08 AM

I'm sure that Saints defense in 09' was average at best and will probably be remembered as a bad D(don't remember how bad/good that D was)

When the Colts won it their defense was bad during the regular season although stepped it up big time in the postseason

code green 01-20-2012 07:12 AM

I was going to mention the Colts, but I remembered they had some legit playmakers on D the year they won. Mathis, Nick Harper, Freeney, and Sanders were all pretty damn good.

Riddler 01-20-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickballer
I'm sure that Saints defense in 09' was average at best and will probably be remembered as a bad D(don't remember how bad/good that D was)

I think that Defense was a little-bit above average if I'm not mistaken...

My guess would be maybe 12th overall (yards allowed) :confusedshrug:

(not gonna look it up)

ALBballer 01-20-2012 08:36 AM

Why do I feel like the majority of OP's threads are Peyton Manning related lol?

-p.tiddy- 01-20-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niko
No we don't, we have elite pass rushers who cover up a lot of wholes in the secondary (which are solid but not spectacular) and our linebacking core is playing much better but Boley and Blackburn are not quite elite. We also have Kiwanuka running around out there covering people when he is enormous and really cannot.

If we are elite what is SF? What is Baltimore? Mega Elite?

You should know better, you have Ware. When Ware is causing havoc, your defense looks great. It didn't become great.

We are good playing great but our defense is third best out of four teams playing.

true...

Giant's have a "great" D...but perhaps not "elite"

your D is just like your QB...good but not elite

still, my point stands that the defesne wasn't healthy early on...making that 27th ranked thing extremely misleading

Randy 01-20-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-

Giant's have a "great" D...but perhaps not "elite"

your D is just like your QB...good but not elite

Eli is elite status right now.

Holy crap, I had no idea Eli was 31 already :eek: Thought for sure he was around 28-29.