Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Grantland: Oden on Oden (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262819)

Copperhead 05-09-2012 01:23 PM

Grantland: Oden on Oden

Guy says he pretty much became an alcoholic in his 2nd season with the Blazers.

Quote:

"If you know anything about guys in the Air Force," Greg explained, "it's that they drink a ton. My cousin got wrapped up in the NBA lifestyle and threw parties at my house all the time. So I got wrapped up in it too. When I played well, I'd drink to celebrate. And when I played poorly, I'd drink to forget. That second year in Portland I pretty much became an alcoholic."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...plagued-career

AMISTILLILL 05-09-2012 01:25 PM

Re: Grantland: Oden on Oden

Cool, Greg. Give teams more incentive not to sign you when you make your comeback.

DTreats 05-09-2012 01:27 PM

At least Durant didn't turn out to be any good either.

Copperhead 05-09-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

1. I lost touch with Greg during his second season in Portland, but I talked with a bunch of mutual friends during that time, and when I asked how he was doing, they all said pretty much the same thing: "He honestly might need an intervention because he's a completely different person now that he drinks all the time."

Damn.

HylianNightmare 05-09-2012 01:31 PM

damn i'd say poor dude but he's still a millionaire

Clippersfan86 05-09-2012 01:35 PM

Keith Closs.

alenleomessi 05-09-2012 01:37 PM

I would drink too if i was aging faster than Lebron

AMISTILLILL 05-09-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
Keith Closs.

Thought this exact same thing. Maybe he'll go get an offensive back tattoo prior to his comeback.

Still pulling for the guy. If he works at it, I'm sure he could be a decent backup big in the league for a few years.

Clippersfan86 05-09-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
Thought this exact same thing. Maybe he'll go get an offensive back tattoo prior to his comeback.

Still pulling for the guy. If he works at it, I'm sure he could be a decent backup big in the league for a few years.

It's disappointing because every time they say he's about to return he doesn't just get a setback but a 12 month setback or something crazy like that. We need more guys who can physically challenge Bynum+Howard. I honestly think Oden (if healthy) and playing at that Portland level he was at.. would be the perfect defensive anchor for the Clippers and many other teams.

I'd support the Clippers doing a sign and trade for him... send DJ packing.

hawkfan 05-09-2012 01:42 PM

So then this is the probably reason for the Blazers finally cutting ties with Oden.

Hope he turns it around. The first step is to acknowledge that he has a problem. Then getting help.

b1imtf 05-09-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
It's disappointing because every time they say he's about to return he doesn't just get a setback but a 12 month setback or something crazy like that. We need more guys who can physically challenge Bynum+Howard. I honestly think Oden (if healthy) and playing at that Portland level he was at.. would be the perfect defensive anchor for the Clippers and many other teams.

I'd support the Clippers doing a sign and trade for him... send DJ packing.

Who would play center when he went down?

Clippersfan86 05-09-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1imtf
Who would play center when he went down?

I'm assuming he's healthy. Probably 6'8 Reggie Evans :lol .

chips93 05-09-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Cool, Greg. Give teams more incentive not to sign you when you make your comeback.

gotta commend him for being so honest

:applause:

ProfessorMurder 05-09-2012 02:04 PM

Come on you guys, the drinking was 3 years ago. Quit acting like he said he's a raging alcoholic right now.

guy 05-09-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Well if you think about it, could be the other way around. I didn't read the whole article cause its too long. But if this has had any effect on his work ethic and as a result an effect on his rehabs from injury, a team might think just getting this guy sobered up will reverse that. This could mean to teams that his body is better then his injuries indicate because he hasn't put 100% into recovering.