Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Knicks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Realistic or not? Getting Josh Smith... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=262940)

Bano114 05-10-2012 04:53 PM

Realistic or not? Getting Josh Smith...

Josh Smith is a young, athletic and extremely talented young forward for the Atlanta Hawks. Already at the age of 26 he has established himself as one of the leagues top defensive and rebounding players.

In the 2012 season he averaged 18.8 ppg 9.6 rpg 3.9 apg 1.4 spg and 1.7 bpg. If you ever watched this guy play his impact goes beyond his stats. He is a presence on the court with or with out the ball. He can always do something productive.

One more notable aspect of Josh Smith's 2011-2012 season is that he requested a trade from the Atlanta Hawks.

Atlanta is known as a small market team that built its way up through drafts and is a very very undesirable place for free agent super stars to sign. Its very rare for a super star to evaluate every option and say "You know what, Atlanta is too good to pass up."

This is why the Hawks must believe they have no shot at retaining Josh Smith after the 2012-2013 season (the last on Smiths contract) or even consider themselves players in the 2013 free agency for a suitable replacement.

The smart thing for an organization like the Hawks...(assuming they want to stay as competitive as they are now...which why wouldnt they? They just got out of the dumpster....) would be to trade Josh Smith for a super star forward with a long enough contract to keep them competitive for a few years.

Any team have that available?

The Knicks should.

In the 2011-2012 season Amar'e Stoudemire averaged less across the board then Josh Smith INCLUDING POINTS. A known and feared scorer only scoring 17 ppg?

And thats not even mentioning that he is an average rebounder and horrendous defender.

The only time Amar'e can make a true impact is when he is the go to guy and has the ball in his hand. Unfortunetly for him, we have one of those named Carmelo Anthony.

What I am saying is that Josh Smith would be a much much better fit for this team then Amar'e Stoudemire because he can be effective with or with out the ball and on both ends of the floor.

What I am asking is if it is realistic to believe that around the trade deadline next season the Knicks could trade Amar'e Stoudemire for Josh Smith?

The Hawks replace a star who isnt coming back with a star who will be there for a few years and probably be more effective because he will be focused on more on offense in Atlanta....and the Knicks get to improve their team.

What do you think?:confusedshrug:

knickscity 05-10-2012 05:21 PM

Re: Realistic or not? Getting Josh Smith...

I honestly don't think the Hawks would want to have the two highest long term contracts in the NBA.

Maybe if they didn't have Johnson's contract.

Bano114 05-10-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickscity
I honestly don't think the Hawks would want to have the two highest long term contracts in the NBA.

Maybe if they didn't have Johnson's contract.

I didn't consider that and thats a very good point. But with the cap space they have if they let Smith walk and dont trade him...would they be able to grab a good enough replacement in free agency? I dont think they could.

On the other hand they could also probably trade Smith for some big expirers and draft picks and focus on resigning Al Horford instead...

knickscity 05-10-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bano114
I didn't consider that and thats a very good point. But with the cap space they have if they let Smith walk and dont trade him...would they be able to grab a good enough replacement in free agency? I dont think they could.

On the other hand they could also probably trade Smith for some big expirers and draft picks and focus on resigning Al Horford instead...

I doubt they let him walk, but Amare isn't the guy they'd go for.

On the other note, Horford is already locked up as long as Joe Johnson is already.

Bano114 05-10-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knickscity
I doubt they let him walk, but Amare isn't the guy they'd go for.

On the other note, Horford is already locked up as long as Joe Johnson is already.

....How did that slip by me? Since thats the case...what do you see playing out with the Smith situation?

knickscity 05-10-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

....How did that slip by me? Since thats the case...what do you see playing out with the Smith situation?

He's too good for them to just let him walk.

But since he is from the Atlanta area, I would think he stays honestly.

I really think the drama they had around the trade deadline was over-hyped.

franchize 05-10-2012 09:44 PM

If Woodson is the coach, i don't see us getting Josh. I didn't know until this year that they didn't get along in Atl.

Nickel06 05-10-2012 10:06 PM

Wishful thinking... Not happenin...:no:

Bano114 05-10-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchize
If Woodson is the coach, i don't see us getting Josh. I didn't know until this year that they didn't get along in Atl.

Not for nothin the same things were said about Amar'e Stoudemire and Mike D'Antoni before he signed here...

franchize 05-10-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Not for nothin the same things were said about Amar'e Stoudemire and Mike D'Antoni before he signed here...

And they had to have an intervention before he signed

BrooklynZoo 05-10-2012 11:55 PM

no way they trade smith for amare

Jasi 05-11-2012 11:33 AM

Yeah I wouldn't mind having J-Smoove one bit, but it would take some Otis Smith type of dementia to take Amare's contract when you already have JJ's