Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lakers Draft Robert Sacre (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269263)

dd24 06-29-2012 12:26 AM

Lakers Draft Robert Sacre

I thought this was a little odd. I've watched this guy play quite a bit over the last 3 years. One of my good friends is a huge Zaga fan and every time they make their trip down here to play LMU and Pepperdine we go watch the games. He was solid, but I never thought he'd get drafted. I always thought he would end up overseas. He was never the best player out on the court. He did have the size, but what got me is he played against guys that were smaller than he is and he couldn't dominate them. If he makes the roster it's because the Lakers are trying to keep the payroll down since it's cheap to sign 2nd rounders. He'd have to improve a ton to make any kind of impact on the team.

ZeN 06-29-2012 12:36 AM

Re: Lakers Draft Robert Sacre

does seem like a nothing move

DirtySanchez 06-29-2012 01:20 AM

I guess the only reason why we got him is that you can't teach size

dd24 06-29-2012 04:52 AM

For sure, it's the last pick in the draft lol. I don't think most people even watch for that.... May as well take someone with upside who wants to work hard. The vast majority of 2nd rounders don't even make it in the league. That's changed over the years due to cap requirements, teams love early 2nd round picks. This probably isn't one of those cases, (besides the obvious that it isn't an early 2nd rounder).

el gringos 06-29-2012 05:17 AM

Really good pick at 60. Not only size but athleticism and aggressiveness. This guy will compete

Lakers_Kobe_Fan 06-29-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dd24
I thought this was a little odd. I've watched this guy play quite a bit over the last 3 years. One of my good friends is a huge Zaga fan and every time they make their trip down here to play LMU and Pepperdine we go watch the games. He was solid, but I never thought he'd get drafted. I always thought he would end up overseas. He was never the best player out on the court. He did have the size, but what got me is he played against guys that were smaller than he is and he couldn't dominate them. If he makes the roster it's because the Lakers are trying to keep the payroll down since it's cheap to sign 2nd rounders. He'd have to improve a ton to make any kind of impact on the team.

I m just mad they didn't draft Anthony Davis wih the last pick in the draft

Disappointed

Robster89 06-29-2012 12:07 PM

Solid pick.
At that point in the draft, I think the hope is to find a guy who MAY develope into a bench roll player.
I could see this guy possibly develope into a rebounder/shotblocker to back up Bynum down the road, sort of a Theo Ratliff type.
Not saying he's there now but he could become that type of player.
If the Laker bigs are currently Bynum, Gasol, Hill (hopefully) and McBob, this guy could be the 5th big. Probably won't see any PT except in blowouts. If he's not NBA ready they could send him down for a year and go after a vet min for the 5th big.
The Lakers actually have been pretty successful with 2nd rounders. DFish, Turiaf, Luke Walton, Ebanks etc.

dd24 06-29-2012 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakers_Kobe_Fan
I m just mad they didn't draft Anthony Davis wih the last pick in the draft

Disappointed

I hear ya, what where they thinking??? :cheers:

pinoyballer247 06-29-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robster89
The Lakers actually have been pretty successful with 2nd rounders. DFish, Turiaf, Luke Walton, Ebanks etc.

He was actually a first rounder brosef.

lakerfreak 06-29-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinoyballer247

this

Robster89 06-29-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinoyballer247

My bad, Fish was a late fist rounder.
But add Marc Gasol to the list of good second round picks.

DKLaker 06-30-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robster89
My bad, Fish was a late fist rounder.
But add Marc Gasol to the list of good second round picks.

Yeah, and then we F'd up and put him into the trade for Pau instead of Sun Yue :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm So it invalidates that draft choice.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan 06-30-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKLaker
Yeah, and then we F'd up and put him into the trade for Pau instead of Sun Yue :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm So it invalidates that draft choice.

Funny part is grizzs wanted sun Yue much more than Marc.. & we forced them to take Marc :facepalm

Robster89 06-30-2012 12:34 PM

Quote:

Funny part is grizzs wanted sun Yue much more than Marc.. & we forced them to take Marc :facepalm

Ouch!

Dude, I saw your post on the main forum on the Bynum/DWill potential deal.
What is with some of those guys in there?Some of those losers are unbelievable, it's like their whole lives are tear down Laker fans.
Your a great poster, I always enjoy what you have to say (for what that's worth).

BØBØ 06-30-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

That's actually not what happened

The Grizzlies wanted both Gasol and Sun Yue. Lakers said no we won't move both, pick one and they took Gasol

via NBA.com back then, direct quote from Kupchak

Quote:

Lakers' executive Mitch Kupchak claims that the Grizzlies were looking to acquire Sun Yue in a trade, according to NBA.com.

"Memphis also wanted Sun in the trade, but we wanted to keep at least one of those two guys so Memphis wanted Marc [Gasol], and we are happy that we were able to keep Sun Yue, because we liked him when we drafted him," Kupchak said.

It was never the Lakers choosing Sun Yue over Gasol, it was the Grizzlies choosing Gasol over Sun Yue because the Lakers wouldn't let go of both