Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Lakers Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271021)

bladefd 07-12-2012 02:41 AM

Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
I found this very interesting. I personally think it definitely is a move in the right direction as far as teamwork is concerned, but I don't know if this team is built correctly for that sort of system. I know just the general things about the offense; I know it is a pass-first sort of offense. Everyone on the field gets involved in almost constant passing the ball until you find the open man. The only thing is that I don't know how it would work with two big men in the post area and Artest, who is VERY inconsistent 3pt shooter to say the least. Kobe is also streaky on his perimeter 3pt shooting. Nash is the only truly consistent perimeter shooter. Bynum doesn't have the range to step out into the high-post to shoot.

Thoughts?

Quote:

In addition to Nash manning the point, the Lakers' offense should look significantly different next season, as the team is contemplating running a Princeton-style offense and has been in contact with former Nets and Wizards coach Eddie Jordan to fill assistant Quin Snyder's place on the staff.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...cated-gym-rats

DKLaker 07-12-2012 03:22 AM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bladefd
I found this very interesting. I personally think it definitely is a move in the right direction as far as teamwork is concerned, but I don't know if this team is built correctly for that sort of system. I know just the general things about the offense; I know it is a pass-first sort of offense. Everyone on the field gets involved in almost constant passing the ball until you find the open man. The only thing is that I don't know how it would work with two big men in the post area and Artest, who is VERY inconsistent 3pt shooter to say the least. Kobe is also streaky on his perimeter 3pt shooting. Nash is the only truly consistent perimeter shooter. Bynum doesn't have the range to step out into the high-post to shoot.

Thoughts?



http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...cated-gym-rats


You couldn't run a pure Princeton offense in the NBA, it wouldn't work at all, it's too time consuming/ major clock eater plus it requires too much useless running around by the bigs, this risks taking them away from the boards. Unless you tweaked the hell out of it's not going to be of any help. This was designed a very very long time ago before shot clocks were invented and is used in leagues now with either no shot clock or 35 sec clock.......not the NBA 24 sec. Having you big center run around is a detriment to a team more than it helps, he'll get tired among other things.

Simple pick & roll stuff is best.

It amazes me that Brown really is completely in the dark when it comes to offense, you would think he would've learned a thing or two by now.....but no, clueless and searching for anything.........meanwhile asst coaches are bailing on him.
I hope he just lets Nash and Kobe design the offense to their preference while Brown just sits back and takes notes......this is a great opportunity for him to learn.

DKLaker 07-16-2012 05:53 PM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
Frank Foley where are you?????
See.....another thread about types of offense and it is so silent you can hear Crickets :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
Come on guys....can anyone discuss this stuff that knows offenses???
Where u at Frank??? :D I know you got this stuff too.

lakerfreak 07-16-2012 06:32 PM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKLaker
You couldn't run a pure Princeton offense in the NBA, it wouldn't work at all, it's too time consuming/ major clock eater plus it requires too much useless running around by the bigs, this risks taking them away from the boards. Unless you tweaked the hell out of it's not going to be of any help. This was designed a very very long time ago before shot clocks were invented and is used in leagues now with either no shot clock or 35 sec clock.......not the NBA 24 sec. Having you big center run around is a detriment to a team more than it helps, he'll get tired among other things.

Simple pick & roll stuff is best.

It amazes me that Brown really is completely in the dark when it comes to offense, you would think he would've learned a thing or two by now.....but no, clueless and searching for anything.........meanwhile asst coaches are bailing on him.
I hope he just lets Nash and Kobe design the offense to their preference while Brown just sits back and takes notes......this is a great opportunity for him to learn.


Pick N Roll is best if players are going to move around. Im sure Nash changes this on the lakers. Everyone must get involved and "force" the offense to work.

If they were going to run princeton stuff, why not just the triangle :confusedshrug:

Too similar of an offense if you ask me. But I do like Pick N Roll best as well. Something like Jerry Sloan's offense.

DKLaker 07-17-2012 12:37 AM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Pick N Roll is best if players are going to move around. Im sure Nash changes this on the lakers. Everyone must get involved and "force" the offense to work.

If they were going to run princeton stuff, why not just the triangle :confusedshrug:

Too similar of an offense if you ask me. But I do like Pick N Roll best as well. Something like Jerry Sloan's offense.



Yeah, Sloan had things simplified to the point that the offense flowed smoothly......this despite his practices ran only 45 minutes.......by the 48th minute he was in his car. 2 of my friends played for him for a long time......they told me about the 45 minute thing.

Sloan 45 minutes >>>>>>>>>> 3 hours of Mike Brown :oldlol: Sad but True

lakerfreak 07-17-2012 12:27 PM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKLaker
Yeah, Sloan had things simplified to the point that the offense flowed smoothly......this despite his practices ran only 45 minutes.......by the 48th minute he was in his car. 2 of my friends played for him for a long time......they told me about the 45 minute thing.

Sloan 45 minutes >>>>>>>>>> 3 hours of Mike Brown :oldlol: Sad but True


Didn't phil used to hold all 4 hours?

Punpun 07-17-2012 01:48 PM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Didn't phil used to hold all 4 hours?


And that's why Sloan isn't better than Phil.

DKLaker 07-17-2012 03:44 PM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Didn't phil used to hold all 4 hours?


Sometimes yes but a large part of it was walking through the Triangle rotations and not enough time spent on defense......but hey, it worked.
Under Phil, the hard work was about 1-1 1/2 hours which is solid.

Brown wants to go 3 hours of intense practice plus shoot-arounds, plus video..........this is very highly unpopular, tiring and unnecessary.......one of the areas of discontent last year so he backed off it........this is not a young team.


Not saying Sloan is better but he didn't have the 2 greatest competitors/closers the game has ever seen.......can't compare him to Phil.

MJ(Mean John) 07-18-2012 05:31 AM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
We need to stop ****en around and

Make mike brown our asst coach and
Hire Jerry Sloan to run the show

DKLaker 07-18-2012 05:54 PM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MJ(Mean John)
We need to stop ****en around and

Make mike brown our asst coach and
Hire Jerry Sloan to run the show




THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

kobesabi 07-18-2012 10:26 PM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
I still don't get it...what really is Princeton-style?

DKLaker 07-19-2012 12:04 AM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by kobesabi
I still don't get it...what really is Princeton-style?


http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?ti...nceton_offense

I was too lazy to write my own, so I looked this up and pasted it for you so you can get the idea. It was NOT created by Pete Carril as some think including this article, just like the Triangle was NOT created by Tex Winter.
These are common mistakes, both offenses are much older.

As the article says it takes 15 seconds to run.......add to that the time bringing the ball up the floor........this is not made for a 24 second clock but some facets can be used. BTW, I use it in AAU as one of the many offenses we use.......but we have a 35 second clock......some ages, some tournaments have no clock at all.

magicmanfan 07-24-2012 05:57 PM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKLaker
http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php?ti...nceton_offense

I was too lazy to write my own, so I looked this up and pasted it for you so you can get the idea. It was NOT created by Pete Carril as some think including this article, just like the Triangle was NOT created by Tex Winter.
These are common mistakes, both offenses are much older.

As the article says it takes 15 seconds to run.......add to that the time bringing the ball up the floor........this is not made for a 24 second clock but some facets can be used. BTW, I use it in AAU as one of the many offenses we use.......but we have a 35 second clock......some ages, some tournaments have no clock at all.


thanks for that... does not seem well suited for Nash's skills.....

lakerfreak 07-24-2012 09:27 PM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DKLaker
just like the Triangle was NOT created by Tex Winter.
These are common mistakes, both offenses are much older.



Is that true? Tex didn't invent the triangle?

DKLaker 07-24-2012 11:37 PM

Re: Lakers considering running Princeton-style offense
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Is that true? Tex didn't invent the triangle?


USC Trojans :rockon: head coach Sam Barry invented it in the 40's and taught it to Tex who then made some adjustments to it.

DKLaker didn't invent beer........he just drinks it :cheers: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Just setting the facts straight :D


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy