Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   NBA Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Boston Celtics: How good can they really be? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278842)

hipballinjigga 10-17-2012 05:37 PM

Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
I am curious on your thoughts. Everyone is biased towards their own teams and should be. But without being biased, how good can this team really be? I really believe this is by far the deepest team in the NBA with:

Rondo
Pierce
Garnett
Green
Terry
Lee
Bass
Bradley
Wilcox
Darko
Barbosa
Sullinger
Collins
Melo
Joseph


That is a pretty deep team and I do not see where everyone will get enough playing time to be "happy" unless they buy into the team concept.

What do you think of this team? They are versatile and can match up with anyone this year in my opinion.

ChuckOakley 10-17-2012 05:46 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
They look like the 2nd best team in the East and top 5 overall.

They need to consolidate assets and go for a Milsap, Josh Smith, Jefferson type to upgrade the 4 and specifically the rebounding. Last year they had the 3rd worst rebounding differential in the league and I'm not sure they've addressed that.

The other worry I have is the undersized nature of the back court.

But if they address rebounding and PP and KG hold up I think they can give Miami a run for their money again.. unfortunately I still think Miami was the better team last season, improved as well and have LBJ and Bosh in their absolute primes.

hipballinjigga 10-17-2012 05:51 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
They look like the 2nd best team in the East and top 5 overall.

They need to consolidate assets and go for a Milsap, Josh Smith, Jefferson type to upgrade the 4 and specifically the rebounding. Last year they had the 3rd worst rebounding differential in the league and I'm not sure they've addressed that.

The other worry I have is the undersized nature of the back court.

But if they address rebounding and PP and KG hold up I think they can give Miami a run for their money again.. unfortunately I still think Miami was the better team last season, improved as well and have LBJ and Bosh in their absolute primes.


The undersized thing is a worry for me as well. They say they preseason does not count but the preseason also reveals things. Whenever they did not have a center on the court the team struggled HUGELY.

However, I think the size of Green & Lee can help them guard LBJ and Wade. Gives them a huge advantage there. Heat are still the team to beat but it can be done possibly.

Perhaps it can actually happen if.............


Actually I was just coming back to change the title a bit and you touched on it perfectly.

They have to be planning something and I think that something is going to be packaging our most trade-able asset Avery Bradley with someone like Bass for Josh Smith.

Smith has stated he would like to play with Rondo & Boston in the past and recently said he plans to not sign with Atlanta. I think this is a deal with filler (Melo, Joseph) that might go down later this season.

If it does, kudos to Ainge all the way.

ChuckOakley 10-17-2012 05:56 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
I think Lee is over-rated as a defender and looks to be a skinny 6'5" (tops) to me. Decent role player, but I would not expect him stopping Wade esp. since Wade puts up 33 points on 54% against him.

Also I think it will take a lot more to get Smith or a similar talent like Bass, Lee, Sullinger and picks (maybe more) as I'm not sure how much the salary filler needed (Bass and Lee) have and their picks will be rather late with that line-up.

outbreak 10-17-2012 06:46 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
How healthy can KG stay? With their lack of size he's going to be even more crucial in the paint for them this season. They should make the ECF and on a good day could even beat the heat. If i was betting money though I'd say knocked out in the conference finals.

Dr. Cheesesteak 10-17-2012 07:02 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
I love what Ainge has done this off-season getting the parts (young and old) to complement the 2 grandpas (though I still think it'll be a more interesting offseason once they f-king retire). And w/ Doc Rivers, they always got a shot.

I think they can be anywhere from a 5 seed to a 2 seed - I think that 2nd tier of Eastern teams after the Heat is that close. Similarly, I think they can either get knocked out in the 1st round (depending on match up) or go as far as the Finals. yeah, I'm wishy washy sometimes.

JohnnySic 10-17-2012 07:11 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
The strength of this team is its depth. I wont gut the depth for Josh Smith. This isn't '07 KG were talking about.

If the Hawks will settle for Bass, either Bradley or Lee, and filler, I do it. But they wont.

Side note - I think the Nets will be our stongest competition in the Atlantic division. That team looks very solid on paper.

longtime lurker 10-17-2012 07:16 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
If they stay healthy they can win the East. Just don't expect to get any non biased opinions on this site.

ChuckOakley 10-17-2012 07:17 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySic
The strength of this team is its depth. I wont gut the depth for Josh Smith. This isn't '07 KG were talking about.

If the Hawks will settle for Bass, either Bradley or Lee, and filler, I do it. But they wont.

Side note - I think the Nets will be our stongest competition in the Atlantic division. That team looks very solid on paper.

Depth will get you a lot of regular seasons wins, but not past Miami in the playoffs. I wouldn't make a move until the trade deadline to wait to see who's expendable and who's not, but if the goal is a title I think an upgrade at the PF is in order.

veilside23 10-17-2012 07:17 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
i dont really care even if the celtics would be the 4th seed with this roster... i think that can give kg and PP to somehow be ready for the playoffs and give it one last hurray to win it all...

Atleast we have true centers that can back up kg unlike last year the line up was crazy :D

veilside23 10-17-2012 07:19 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckOakley
Depth will get you a lot of regular seasons wins, but not past Miami in the playoffs. I wouldn't make a move until the trade deadline to wait to see who's expendable and who's not, but if the goal is a title I think an upgrade at the PF is in order.



you are right i think sullinger might be included in that trade together with an expirer and a guard :D .... but if its josh smith id party:banana:

hipballinjigga 10-17-2012 07:31 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnySic
The strength of this team is its depth. I wont gut the depth for Josh Smith. This isn't '07 KG were talking about.

If the Hawks will settle for Bass, either Bradley or Lee, and filler, I do it. But they wont.

Side note - I think the Nets will be our stongest competition in the Atlantic division. That team looks very solid on paper.



I know it was the preseason, but man am I impressed with the Nets without even seeing their starting line-up play! They look very solid and i am scared they are not talking about them.

And i agree with all of you about the team not needing to blow it up for Smith though it would be nice.

ChuckOakley 10-17-2012 07:37 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hipballinjigga
I know it was the preseason, but man am I impressed with the Nets without even seeing their starting line-up play! They look very solid and i am scared they are not talking about them.

And i agree with all of you about the team not needing to blow it up for Smith though it would be nice.

Nets have potential to finish anywhere from 2-6. It all pretty much hinges on health, particularly Lopez's and if they can turn some assets into either an upgrade at PF or better depth.

Whoah10115 10-17-2012 07:39 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
The Celtics, the Nuggets, the Spurs...those have to be the deepest teams in the league. It's actually ridiculous.



Also, while I'm not completely taking back my belief that KG at C is a stupid thing to do over a full season, I will admit that it might not be as bad as I thought. Mostly because I forgot how overlooked Sullinger ended up being and how he's going to be a very good player immediately. That guy can rebound, can shoot, has a post game, will be very good. Ideally, he's my starter right away. He's the best rebounder they have after KG (obviously better than Bass there) and I like Bass much more as a 6th man than I do as a starter.

ChuckOakley 10-17-2012 07:44 PM

Re: Boston Celtics: How good can they really be?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whoah10115
The Celtics, the Nuggets, the Spurs...those have to be the deepest teams in the league. It's actually ridiculous.



Also, while I'm not completely taking back my belief that KG at C is a stupid thing to do over a full season, I will admit that it might not be as bad as I thought. Mostly because I forgot how overlooked Sullinger ended up being and how he's going to be a very good player immediately. That guy can rebound, can shoot, has a post game, will be very good. Ideally, he's my starter right away. He's the best rebounder they have after KG (obviously better than Bass there) and I like Bass much more as a 6th man than I do as a starter.

I know it's only pre-season but each NBA team (Philly, NY and Boston) have outrebounded them so far and again they were 3rd worst last year in differential.
I think it's a glaring weakness they need to address.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy