Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Streetball Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Tough loss (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283540)

Dwyane Rose 12-06-2012 08:15 PM

Tough loss

3rd game of the season, and I'm starting for the 3rd game in a row.

First 2 minutes, I'm on fire, 6 points, 2 and ones.

Next, I twist my ankle on a gamble for a steal in the passing lane.

I sit the rest of the game until the 4th quarter, where coach subs me in with a few minutes left.

I get a fastbreak layup, but I also get a few turnovers (a charge).

5 seconds left, coach calls timeout, we're down 72-71.

He runs an isolation for me off the inbounds, and I beat my defender, but I miss the floater in the lane.

:(

miggyme1 12-07-2012 02:06 AM

Re: Tough loss

Dont sweat it homie.jordan aint hit every game winner.just make sure u rest that ankle.ur no good to your team if injured so getting healthy is your main focus.keep yo head high and keep playing aggresive when you do get back on the court and im sure ull do just fine

millwad 12-07-2012 01:32 PM

Don't let it bother you, and even less considering that you twisted your ankle.

When I was younger my team was top 3 in Sweden and we played a big tournament called Scania cup, it's a big tournament in Scandinavia and it's only for the best teams.

I was 14 at that time and we played against a team from Iceland and I had a great game and I had alot of family who watched the game so I was really nervous during the warm ups. The game was so intense and it was really tight and we were down by 2 points with like 30 seconds left and I got the ball in the post and I got hacked.

To this day I can remember who much I was shaking at the FT-line, I clanked both my FT's and we lost the game..

It really got stuck in my head and when I got called to the junior national team I almost declined it and I was even close to stop playing ball because after that game I was so nervous when I played and I felt so bad mentally. I got help and got through it.

Just be the man when you play and do your best, missing shots happens to everyone.

Rake2204 12-07-2012 03:14 PM

Everyone goes through it. My first anti-clutch moment came my junior year when an opponent was inbounding the ball at half court in a tie ball game with 55 seconds left. The inbounder panicked and lobbed a pass toward the jump ball circle. I anticipated, poked it away, and found myself in the open floor. I thought I had my first dunk coming my way, but then I thought about how terrible it'd be if I missed. In the meantime, I set both feet and took off way too far away from the bucket and botched the layup.

Moments later we regained possession trailing by two. My teammate missed a soft J in the lane and the offensive board fell right into my lap. I was airborne and no one was in my area code to disrupt me. I missed again.

Miraculously, we somehow ended up winning, even in spite of my anticlutch moments. But I learned and in each subsequent game that season, I felt much more at ease and in control during clutch situations. I knew I'd already failed and it wasn't that bad. I was confident enough to know (or believe) I was going to be able to make it happen the next time.

The truth is, people are going to remember your clutch successes way, way more than your clutch defeats. For instance, when I say, "Michael Jordan Clutch" what do a lot of tend to think? His J's over Bryon Russell? His Craig Ehlo shot? The comeback shot vs. Atlanta in '95? But how many memories come to mind when we thinking "Michael Jordan missed buzzer beaters"? It's all relative, but it sort of works like that on every level. It's a bummer when clutch shots don't work out, but the lasting effect pales in comparison to the successes. It's a worthy risk.

L3B120N J4M35 12-07-2012 07:31 PM

yeah homie dont sweat it. everybody misses clutch baskets. since everyone else is sharing their stories, i guess i will to aha.

Well, 8th grade year we're going against our rival at the High School (we were in middle school), and they were up 12-2 at halftime. my team came back and in the second quarter it was 11-13. My coach draws a play out of bounds and i ended up getting a three and making it. we then got another steal and i hit another three to seal the game. after that, my coach and teammates all called me clutch. well then, at this tournament we were down 3 with 3 minutes left. i was known as the closer just becuz of that game and i pulled up for three and hit it. then i missed probably 4 wide open three pointers to lose us the game. it was the worst feeling, but i overcame it and now all my friends only remember the one i hit. they forget all about the miss. so it dont matter like what rake said

ace23 12-07-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
Well, 8th grade year we're going against our rival at the High School (we were in middle school), and they were up 12-2 at halftime. my team came back and in the second quarter it was 11-13

LEFT4DEAD 12-08-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L3B120N J4M35
yeah homie dont sweat it. everybody misses clutch baskets. since everyone else is sharing their stories, i guess i will to aha.

Well, 8th grade year we're going against our rival at the High School (we were in middle school), and they were up 12-2 at halftime. my team came back and in the second quarter it was 11-13. My coach draws a play out of bounds and i ended up getting a three and making it. we then got another steal and i hit another three to seal the game. after that, my coach and teammates all called me clutch. well then, at this tournament we were down 3 with 3 minutes left. i was known as the closer just becuz of that game and i pulled up for three and hit it. then i missed probably 4 wide open three pointers to lose us the game. it was the worst feeling, but i overcame it and now all my friends only remember the one i hit. they forget all about the miss. so it dont matter like what rake said

:biggums:

Michael_Wilbon 12-30-2012 05:16 PM

Garbage ass players :facepalm

Stuckey 01-07-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael_Wilbon
Garbage ass players :facepalm

lol but cold blooded

cant lose confidence, that's the biggest thing that'll affect your performance every time