Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Facial Hair for Job Interview (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=288603)

Money 23 01-25-2013 05:27 AM

Facial Hair for Job Interview

Question to ISH-iots like myself ...

I have a job interview tomorrow. And I'm rocking a chin strap beard. It is very neat and tidy. But do you think it's a bad idea to roll in there with facial hair of any kind?

Experiences? Thoughts? What do you consider acceptable or not acceptable?

senelcoolidge 01-25-2013 05:46 AM

Re: Facial Hair for Job Interview

I would go clean shaven. You might want to take a shower too. Wear nice clothes, a tie..suspenders.

sunsfan1357 01-25-2013 05:46 AM

If it looks nice and clean then it shouldn't be a problem, I've gone to interviews with facial hair and gotten the job. If it really worries you though its better not to guess and just shave it, learn their policy on grooming, and go from there if you get the job. Facial hair grows back.

Wavves 01-25-2013 06:00 AM

Matters on what job it is really.

maybeshewill13 01-25-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wavves
Matters on what job it is really.

This. Really depends on what kind of job. If it's a simple retail kind of job, it shouldn't matter. A higher-pay office job and they may want clean shaven.

L.Kizzle 01-25-2013 08:36 AM

I hate shit like that. If u can do the job, who cares. I swear some people care about shit that don't matter.

DCL 01-25-2013 08:43 AM

if it's a corporate job, don't go to an interview looking like shaggy and scooby doo.

nathanjizzle 01-25-2013 08:49 AM

depends what type of job it is. blue collar, a beard would be fine, could possibly even help. white collar you need to be clean cut, and buy some non prescription glasses

KevinNYC 01-25-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Money 23

I have a job interview tomorrow. And I'm rocking a chin strap beard. It is very neat and tidy. But do you think it's a bad idea to roll in there with facial hair of any kind?

Do you live in Chicago? Beards and facial hair are so in these days it's crazy. Have you ever seen so many bearded guys in commericals? This guy just opened his second old-timey barbershop in my neighborhood

I also work in the tech world, where beards are very common. I would suspect that any reasonable sized office in Chicago or thereabouts is not afraid of beards, but it's your call. If you're worried, I would get yourself in your suit and have your friends judge if you look professional.

Also it seems like you may be pretty young and have not had many interviews. You definitely want to have a set of YOUR OWN questions to ask them. A good one to ask of the hiring manager (the person you will actually work for, not the Human Resources person is What would separate a great employee in this position from an average one?
Don't ask about money or benefits on the first interview. You can talk about those when they are ready to offer you the job.

You want your questions and answers to their question seem like you are the solution to their problem. You never want to come across as a potential problem.

code green 01-25-2013 09:30 AM

I've never had a problem getting a job with a full beard, in banking, weight loss, and insurance companies. I take my earrings out, of course, and ask how they feel about it after they make the decision to hire me. But as long as you're maintaining the clean look, a chin strap won't automatically eliminate you. And I'd echo KevinNYC's advice to ask them questions like that, it really separates you if you ask the right ones.

LJJ 01-25-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Money 23

Facial hair is fine. Even unkempt, ragged facial hair. I just rolled to an interview rocking a four day beard (and got the job), it's no big deal. Grown ass men grow hair, on their face. It's nature.

A chinstrap though? Are you 16? Shave that shit or you won't get the job, book it.

Bucket_Nakedz 01-25-2013 12:10 PM

if your chin strap is as aweful as meticodes, then shave it.

Scoooter 01-25-2013 12:56 PM

A chinstrap beard shouldn't be worn in any circumstances.

The Macho Man 01-25-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Do you live in Chicago? Beards and facial hair are so in these days it's crazy. Have you ever seen so many bearded guys in commericals? This guy just opened his second old-timey barbershop in my neighborhood

ughhh I hate this shit. And two sleeves. I hope his business fails.

BuffaloBill 01-25-2013 01:08 PM

If you're worried about it, just shave it. Shit'll grow back in a few days