Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Is it cheating in 2K.. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294173)

tpols 03-23-2013 01:52 PM

Is it cheating in 2K..

to control an off the ball player on defense?

I was playing a money game yesterday with my roommate, he was minny and I was Houston. He's dirty with Rubio setting up teammates and making layups/driving so I decided to play off the ball with harden, let the cpu d him up, and flank him on drives and passes.

He didn't start biitching about it til 2 minutes left in the game when I hit a three to go up by 11.. So it was bullshit anyway. But is that considered cheap?

Just2McFly 03-23-2013 02:00 PM

Re: Is it cheating in 2K..

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpols
to control an off the ball player on defense?

I was playing a money game yesterday with my roommate, he was minny and I was Houston. He's dirty with Rubio setting up teammates and making layups/driving so I decided to play off the ball with harden, let the cpu d him up, and flank him on drives and passes.

He didn't start biitching about it til 2 minutes left in the game when I hit a three to go up by 11.. So it was bullshit anyway. But is that considered cheap?

He is just mad that he lost and grasping at straws. He could have switched over and D you up, but he didnt and he lost.

shlver 03-23-2013 02:04 PM

Sounds like you're better than him at the game.

Bandito 03-23-2013 02:06 PM

I do that all the time and is not considered cheating if you can do that in game. Your friend is just salty you won.

tpols 03-23-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shlver
Sounds like you're better than him at the game.

He usually beats my ass.. I lost 30 last week over a couple games by a combined like 5 points. I missed 2 game winners and then switched to this strategy and it is so much harder to score on.

But everyone else in the room agreed with him that it was 'like I wasn't really playing him' and it was like playing the computer.. Which is beyond bullshit to me.

shlver 03-23-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tpols
He usually beats my ass.. I lost 30 last week over a couple games by a combined like 5 points. I missed 2 game winners and then switched to this strategy and it is so much harder to score on.

But everyone else in the room agreed with him that it was 'like I wasn't really playing him' and it was like playing the computer.. Which is beyond bullshit to me.

You found a legitimate mechanic to adapt to his style of play. If he can't adapt to score, then he's one dimensional and doesn't understand the game well enough. Adaptation is an important skill that requires understanding the mechanics of the game.

ace23 03-23-2013 02:33 PM

It's kind of lame to do it all game, but I wouldn't say it's cheating. It should be noted that shots go in at a higher clip when contested by the CPU to add incentive for playing on-ball D.

imdaman99 03-23-2013 02:34 PM

it IS kind of taking the easy way out. instead of trying to play him 1 on 1, you hide behind the computer staying in front of him while you play his computer guys. you know who he is going to pass to because you have played him plenty of times. but it IS a strategy. i say go with it, until he adjusts :cheers:

Stuckey 03-23-2013 02:40 PM

no such thing as "cheap" when it's competition

brantonli 03-23-2013 02:49 PM

How come he couldn't beat the CPU? seriously? what kind of difficulty were you playing on?

tpols 03-23-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brantonli
How come he couldn't beat the CPU? seriously? what kind of difficulty were you playing on?

Hall of fame..and it was all about Rubio. It's easy to cheese 3s if you're playing with a 3pt shooting ball handler against the cpu, but Rubio doesn't shoot well. This kid will run circles around until he beats me a cpu helps and he hits the open man. You give a guy 15 seconds to dribble around and he will create space if he's any good. But the cpu shadows a lot better and I'm much better at going for steals and blocks of the ball than the cpi is.

I don't do it for every game.. We played paces nets and I would user guard deron and call for doubles on any defender not guarding Joe Johnson.. Because it's too easy to make 3s on a cpu.

BuGzBuNNy 03-23-2013 03:41 PM

It was a popular complaint when I used to play it online. Playing against friends it's never been brought up, but it does get annoying when everytime I pass the ball to the player one of my friends was guarding he switches off. I think 2K rewards on-ball defense, though, by making a contested shot by a user more effective than that of the cpu

Scholar 03-23-2013 05:16 PM

I do it all the time. In fact, only time I actually guard the ball handler is if it's a big man in the post. I don't understand how it's cheating when it's available in-game to do.
It's your friend's fault for not being good enough to adjust to your game style. :confusedshrug: He just sucks.

Mach_3 03-23-2013 08:39 PM

I usually control the center and let the computer guard up and then i just literally stand in the paint and contest everything. The game sucks at calling 3 second violations just like in real life anyway :lol

Theoo 03-23-2013 08:57 PM

doing off ball defense in 2k is a pussygirl move!!! your should defend to him yourslef dont not make there fk** computer to it for you... but your say that he have a cheap moves too with layup / dunk then i think your did a good move , if he play a fk** cheap cheese moves then your can do offball to do that because there is none other way to do defense to that .. but i think in fair game your should always do defenes YOURSELVE, well i never make the computers to my job!!!its my defnese if i wanted watch the computer play then i wouldnt not be playing!!