Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charlotte Hornets Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Steve Clifford to be new Bobcats coach (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301402)

insidehoops 05-27-2013 07:34 PM

Steve Clifford to be new Bobcats coach

Michael Jordan felt he needed a head coach with a little more NBA experience this time around to improve his struggling Charlotte Bobcats.

The former NBA superstar and current owner believes he's found one in Steve Clifford.

Clifford, a long-time NBA assistant, has been hired away from the Los Angeles Lakers by the Bobcats before the Milwaukee Bucks could make a play for him.

The decision comes after Jordan's experiment with former St. John's assistant Mike Dunlap failed miserably this past season. Jordan fired Dunlap in April after one season with a 21-61 record.

Two people familiar with the situation said Monday that Clifford had agreed to a three-year contact. They spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the announcement has not been made public.

-- AP

treadster 05-28-2013 02:27 AM

Re: Steve Clifford to be new Bobcats coach

is he a good coach?

onewickedlady 05-28-2013 03:16 AM

Who the hell is this guy? He damned well better be the best choice, not just the cheapest bottom feeder. Okay I'm probably showing either my ignorance or skepticism or both but why him??????????????????????

LJJ 05-28-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treadster
is he a good coach?

He's amazing. We have got the 13-14 NBA title on lock now.

insidehoops 05-28-2013 05:48 AM

"He's a brilliant basketball coach who relates to all kinds of people well and I think he will do an absolutely fantastic job with the talent at hand," Jeff Van Gundy said. "I'm so happy for one of the good guys in the league to get this opportunity."

-- AP

onewickedlady 05-28-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJJ
He's amazing. We have got the 13-14 NBA title on lock now.

How exciting! Isn't this what we've been waiting and praying for!!!!!!!!!!!

rufuspaul 05-28-2013 10:14 AM

The Van Gundy's seemed to like him and he might bring in Patrick Ewing as an assistant so right now it looks like a more predictable hire than Dunlap. That being said, who in there right mind would want this job?

ukballer 05-28-2013 11:38 AM

Van Gundy brothers compared him to Tom Thibodeau, so can't be too bad! Hopefully he can be a mainstay with this franchise unlike our previous coaches.

El Kabong 05-28-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rufuspaul
The Van Gundy's seemed to like him and he might bring in Patrick Ewing as an assistant so right now it looks like a more predictable hire than Dunlap. That being said, who in there right mind would want this job?

A guy who's spent a decade as an assistant and wants a head coaching job. I'm sure there'd be plenty of guys around the league who'd love to even be interviewed for a job like this.

rufuspaul 05-29-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Kabong
A guy who's spent a decade as an assistant and wants a head coaching job. I'm sure there'd be plenty of guys around the league who'd love to even be interviewed for a job like this.

Just make sure to rent, don't buy.

insidehoops 05-29-2013 03:51 PM

Charlotte Bobcats President of Basketball Operations Rod Higgins announced today that the team has named Steve Clifford Head Coach. Clifford, who has spent the last 13 seasons as an NBA assistant coach, becomes the sixth head coach in franchise history.

Read more at http://www.insidehoops.com/bobcats-s...h-052913.shtml