Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Video Games Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Rome 2 Total War (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311825)

knickballer 09-03-2013 09:05 PM

Rome 2 Total War

Anyone interested?

Rome 1 was the GOAT

MtMutombo 09-03-2013 11:09 PM

Re: Rome 2 Total War

Hellllll yeah.
I play a good amount of strategy -- Blizzard, Xcom, etc., and Ima let you finish but Total War I was GOAT.

Bought tonight. Looking forward to more of the same -- anything else is a bonus. GOAT strategy game.

outbreak 09-04-2013 01:12 AM

played it abit last night and a bunch today, hate to say it but at this point it's been a massive let down. I played the shit out of the first rome and it was my favourite in the series. I've played pretty much all of them besides the original shogun which I didn't own.

They've changed a few things and tried to stream line things a bit but personally I don't think it's really worked out well. The ui feels counter intuitive now and some options seem a bit buried. Also annoying that it now shows unrest for a whole region rather than a city and it's not as logical in how you quell the unrest as the old games were.

I'm getting long load times as well which seems to be common from the reviews I've read. Game runs well and looks pretty but it's also really slow when the AI take their turns. I know you always could see them but it just seems really slow now with lots of sub factions having their turns.

The ai is pretty stupid in battles too so far, I'm playing on medium difficulty and I can sit back with ranged units shooting while the enemy holds their ground until they all run away and I win without actually fighting them. Some of the terrain is a bit odd too, I'll deploy some units to flank only to find out I can't actually walk down the path in front of me even though it is textured as a road and for some unknown reason I have to run around.

I'll stick with it because I really hope it gets better as I learn the new features more but at this point it feels like a dodgy knock off of a total war game for me.

clipse026 09-04-2013 01:28 AM

I really want to buy as I loved Shogun 2 but I know it will be on sale and I'm trying to learn to be patient with steam games. I bought Shogun 2 on release and now it's like 7 ****ing dollars during sales. :mad:

knickballer 09-04-2013 11:31 AM

Can't wait to play this game on Ultra low graphics on my laptop and for it to lag like a whore :D

outbreak 09-04-2013 06:03 PM

played another 5 or so hours last night. gotten used to it a bit more and it's better than I first thought. It's still disappointing though and nowhere near as good as i'd hoped or I felt the other total war games were. The end of turns take so long still, I rekon in an hour of game play you'd probably spend 20 minutes just waiting on the AI.

ukballer 09-05-2013 03:23 AM

I've only played through the prologue so far and I've never been great at these types of games despite always buying them, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt, but it just felt very similar to the other games. I've got a new computer that can run everything in ultra, so it's nice to enjoy the game with everything it has to offer, but even though I haven't properly explored the game yet, I don't think you'd be missing out on too much if you just stuck with one of the earlier games.