Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Football Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315063)

bsyde82 10-28-2013 12:07 PM

All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
Biases up front first: I'm a die hard niners fan, watched TO since he was a rookie, and he's my second favorite football player of all time behind Steve Young.

That being said, I think Megatron is overrated. Fantastic talent, no doubt, but IMO, he can't touch prime Moss/TO. My biggest reasons for knocking Megatron:

1. Has a knack for getting stopped short of the end zone for whatever reason. Anyone who remembers TO knows that if the end zone was near, there was virtually no stopping him. And Moss was always behind the defense, so it didn't matter. Megatron has some really low TD numbers relative to how much he sees the ball.

2. He plays in the perfect situation to amass stats. Below average team with a arm-talented gunslinger who loves to force feed him the ball.

He is elite at jump balls. I'll give him that. But other than that, he doesn't compare to prime Moss/TO. It's just an eyeball test too. When the lions played the niners, I wasn't afraid of him. I feel like you just don't play boneheaded defense (unlike Dalls) and you can pretty much contain him. Re: Moss/TO, I've never seen any other football player run like them. Moss was like a gazelle - effortless world-class speed. TO was like a thoroughbred.

Thoughts?

Carbine 10-28-2013 12:20 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
I'd take Calvin all day. Equal talents (You could argue Calvin is a better player than Owens for sure, peak Moss vs. peak Calvin is probably a toss up) however he doesn't come with any of the "extra" negative stuff the other two brought to the table.

-p.tiddy- 10-28-2013 12:33 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
I think Calvin actually has a chance at being > Rice

a lot of what Calvin does is something that can't be defended at all...it is like a center in the NBA going for a rebound against point guards...and the center wins every time.

TheSilentKiller 10-28-2013 12:35 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
Not only is Calvin elite at jumpballs, he is probably the best of all time at jumpballs. Your first knock on him doesn't make much sense. The way he is getting to the 1 yard line is through breaking tackles and outrunning damn near everybody. The fact that he can't break an extra tackle our barrel through three guys waiting for him there shouldn't be a knock. Take for example the last scoring driver for the Lions yesterday. He wound up on the one by diving through two guys to get extra yards. It would have been impossible for him to score there.

TO had horrible off the field issues which cannot be ignored. Moss too. Calvin has a great head on his shoulders to couple his incredible athleticism.

brandonislegend 10-28-2013 12:36 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
Terrell Owens does no even belong in the same sentence as Moss and Megatron.

bsyde82 10-28-2013 01:19 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by brandonislegend
Terrell Owens does no even belong in the same sentence as Moss and Megatron.


Because?

I bet Megatron never sniffs TO's all time TD numbers. And I don't want to pull the age card because I have no idea how old anyone on this thread is, but you have to have witnessed TO in his prime to really appreciate how dominant he was. Numbers don't do it justice, despite his numbers being eye-popping.

bsyde82 10-28-2013 01:20 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I think Calvin actually has a chance at being > Rice

a lot of what Calvin does is something that can't be defended at all...it is like a center in the NBA going for a rebound against point guards...and the center wins every time.


See, people are so enamored with his jump balls. And I admit, some of his jump ball catches are spectacular. But how often do they occur? When ppl cite to jump balls to praise Megatron, they act as if it's good for a couple TDs a game. They're actually pretty rare.

Sarcastic 10-28-2013 01:24 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
Keep in mind Johnson is putting up these numbers when the rules favor passing/receiving. Jerry Rice would put up 2000+ yards in today's NFL.


Unless of course you think Stafford could put 5000 yards in the 1980s. :lol

TheSilentKiller 10-28-2013 01:29 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bsyde82
See, people are so enamored with his jump balls. And I admit, some of his jump ball catches are spectacular. But how often do they occur? When ppl cite to jump balls to praise Megatron, they act as if it's good for a couple TDs a game. They're actually pretty rare.

A couple of tds a game would lead to 30+ tds in a season :roll:

If the Lions are inside of the 5, you have to put 2 people on Calvin or it is almost an automatic touchdown.

zoom17 10-28-2013 01:45 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
Calvin still needs more playing time to pass moss all time I could care less about T.O. I never liked him locker room cancer.

zoom17 10-28-2013 01:49 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Keep in mind Johnson is putting up these numbers when the rules favor passing/receiving. Jerry Rice would put up 2000+ yards in today's NFL.


Unless of course you think Stafford could put 5000 yards in the 1980s. :lol


Extacly now days you see average qbs throwing over 300 easilsy and some evens in the 400s In the future 500 yard games will be the equivalent to 300 yard games.

TheSilentKiller 10-28-2013 02:01 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoom17
Extacly now days you see average qbs throwing over 300 easilsy and some evens in the 400s In the future 500 yard games will be the equivalent to 300 yard games.

No

2LeTTeRS 10-28-2013 02:21 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
TO was an amazingly productive received; but he does not belong in this grouping with Moss and CJ. His hands were only good not great, and while his size was undeniable he doesn't have the same blazing speed that Moss and Johnson have.

And that's not even mentioning the fact that he was probably the biggest cancer in all of team sports.

bsyde82 10-28-2013 02:29 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
TO was an amazingly productive received; but he does not belong in this grouping with Moss and CJ. His hands were only good not great, and while his size was undeniable he doesn't have the same blazing speed that Moss and Johnson have.

And that's not even mentioning the fact that he was probably the biggest cancer in all of team sports.


When it comes to speed, no one can touch Moss.

But TO was a galloping horse whose true speed cannot be measured in a 40 time. CJ actually gets caught from behind. Just look at yesterday's cowboy game. TO never got caught from behind.

The hands thing is such a dumb knock against TO. You know what? Brandon Lloyd has probably the most amazing pair of hands I've ever seen on a WR.

irondarts 10-28-2013 02:45 PM

Re: All time comparison: Megatron v. Moss v. TO
 
Calvin

He's equal or superior in talent, he has a positive attitude and doesn't cause drama. He's the easy choice.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy