Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dallas Mavericks Forum (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Greg Buckner to the Mavs (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4939)

funkylikemonkey 07-12-2006 02:37 PM

Greg Buckner to the Mavs

Adding more defense and a 3pt shot to the team.

The Nuggets have an all-points bulletin out for 3-point shooters. Their search got a little harder early this morning when their free agent guard, Greg Buckner, agreed to sign with the Dallas Mavericks. Buckner will receive at least three years guaranteed, with the two sides working on details for two more years. "I'm happy," Buckner said today. "It was my first choice to go to Dallas. It's crazy it worked out." Denver Post

But with the Nuggets having committed approximately $140 million to Carmelo Anthony and Nene this summer, Buckner said he and his agent agreed that his return would be a longshot. "My time in Denver was great. It got me out of a bad situation with Philly," he said. "They wanted to take care of their young kids. I thought it was going to work out that way. You have to take care of Melo and Nene. There wasn't much money left." Denver Post

kentatm 07-12-2006 07:24 PM

here is your love.

its an ok signing at best. Buck is what he is. can jack a 3 and play ok D. thats about it. oh, and he is injury prone. he does hustle though.

funkylikemonkey 07-12-2006 07:25 PM

You think this signing means anything in terms of the Mavs possibly thinking about letting Stackhouse go for Kmart?

fatboy11 07-12-2006 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funkylikemonkey
You think this signing means anything in terms of the Mavs possibly thinking about letting Stackhouse go for Kmart?

Absolutely not.

kentatm 07-12-2006 07:27 PM

god i hope not. KMart is not what the Mavs need. not at all. i would like for them to perhaps keep Griff and then maybe trade Stack for somebody that can shoot. i want Bobby Simmons but Bucks fans dont want to give him up it seems.

Spike Spiegel 07-12-2006 07:36 PM

Bobby certainly isn't unmoveable, but I don't think Stackhouse is someone the team needs.

DHarris for Simmons? I know salaries don't match up, so I guess the deal would have to be larger. Plus, Simmons has a trade kicker.

jbot 07-12-2006 07:40 PM

he gives them one thing that daniels couldn't(a good 3pt shot) though he's a bit smaller. he also played for them in the past. i'd say he's a decent backup.

LiL Stevie 07-12-2006 08:16 PM

Good signing. Either he'll replace Griffin and his role or they'll bring back Griff for a much more limited role. I wouldn't mind either one. I would've preferred Jumaine Jones to Buckner just because Jones is a better offensive player than Buckner and is more versatile. I'm still concerned about Dallas' outside shooting problems though. Buckner is a better three point shooter than Griffin of course but by no means is he dangerous from out there.

adamcz 07-12-2006 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kentatm
I want Bobby Simmons but Bucks fans dont want to give him up it seems.

Simmons could be traded, but it's hard to trade with contending teams like the Mavericks - they never want to give up any of their key pieces. If Devin Harris is involved, I'm sure something could be worked out. I don't think that guys like Josh Howard or Stackhouse are compelling enough to get it done though.

raiderfan19 07-12-2006 08:26 PM

Buck isnt a terrible shooter but hes not exactly a sharp shooter either. This is a great move for him as people on message boards everywhere will now include him along with adrian griffin and Desagana Diop as the all star caliber players that make dirk look good. (rolls eyes)

raiderfan19 07-12-2006 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamcz
Simmons could be traded, but it's hard to trade with contending teams like the Mavericks - they never want to give up any of their key pieces. If Devin Harris is involved, I'm sure something could be worked out. I don't think that guys like Josh Howard or Stackhouse are compelling enough to get it done though.

The mavs arent giving up harris or howard for bobby freakin simmons. I like simmons and i would be all over a stack for simmons trade(though i cant fathom why the bucks would do it) but if its harris or howard, the mavs need to hang up the phone.

adamcz 07-12-2006 08:34 PM

Which is why I said it's hard to do trades with contending teams. Your tone sounds as if you're arguing with me, but I already covered that.

raiderfan19 07-12-2006 08:36 PM

No im not arguing just stating that for emphasis. I am as vehemently opposed to a harris or howard for simmons swap as i would be an anyone for kenyon martin trade.

mavsfan4zindagi 07-12-2006 09:20 PM

According to dallasnews.com, Buckner is getting the entire MLE, which comes out to a little more then 5 million. Its also a FIVE year contract.

If thats true, then this offseason has turned into an instant disaster.

fatboy11 07-12-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mavsfan4zindagi
According to dallasnews.com, Buckner is getting the entire MLE, which comes out to a little more then 5 million. Its also a FIVE year contract.

If thats true, then this offseason has turned into an instant disaster.

The full MLE?

Who's pulling the strings in Dallas now? Carroll Dawson?

:wtf: