Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off the Court Lounge (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   OT: Rap is officially dead. (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8082)

Young HkM 08-11-2006 02:57 AM

OT: Rap is officially dead.

www.myspace.com/lilhe

At this point, I don't even know what to say.

The Mamba 08-11-2006 02:59 AM

When you got people like: Young Joc, Young Jeezy, Chingy, etc. Rap has been dead. The only one keeping it together is the few who put out, new and original music. See: Kanye West, Common, Lupe Fiasco, etc. Talk about real stuff, and not fantasy / repeditive gangster rap. Half them kats didn't do **** that they say. Stop glorifying criminal acts.

Kobe24 08-11-2006 02:59 AM

Don't work. Is that T.I in your avatar?

Young HkM 08-11-2006 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kobe24
Don't work. Is that T.I in your avatar?

Yeah. It's the cover from the King album.

XxNeXuSxX 08-11-2006 03:03 AM

Coolio still alive? Rap is still alive.

Young HkM 08-11-2006 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxNeXuSxX
Coolio still alive? Rap is still alive.

:roll: I should have seen that one coming.

LiL Stevie 08-11-2006 03:21 AM

I'm not surprised at all. Everybody and their grandma is tryin to be a rapper these days. Literally, their grandma. Check out that show America's Got Talent :confused:

JSub 08-11-2006 03:29 AM

Rap died when Biggie and Tupac got shot. Eminem tried to save it, but then he went and retired.

Young HkM 08-11-2006 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSub
Rap died when Biggie and Tupac got shot. Eminem tried to save it, but then he went and retired.

How was Em supposed to have saved it if he was never even the best rapper out?

Bill Swerski 08-11-2006 04:15 AM

Y'all (besides mamba:pimp: ) obviously know jack sh!t.

Rap is far from dead.:D

...and WTF is up with little idiot homie using the word "raping"...

...instead of "rapping"...

*Lil He*(wackest name ever)

-"My father 40glocc put me up on raping.....":wtf: :eek: :no:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

sixty 08-11-2006 05:21 AM

If Detox comes out.... maybe, just maybe rap will get back on it course.... but that would be I don't know... around year 2019 :confused: ?

laalaa 08-11-2006 06:16 AM

Thank you lord. It's about time to get this crap as far as possible from the mainstream. The genre had nothing good to offer to anyone.

Cavs2007Champs 08-11-2006 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixty
If Detox comes out.... maybe, just maybe rap will get back on it course..

That has to be a joke right? Isn't that Bubba Sparxx brother or something along the line??

Rap isn't close to dead. I bet most of you here are some suburban white boys who are just talking, especially LAALAA.

First thing, some of those rappers have gone through what they rap about.

If you want real rap, look into Texas, or most rap down south.
Rappers to look up....
Z-ro, similar to Tupac, considered a Texas version of Tupac
Trae, talks about real life stuff
Guerilla Maab- Z-ro, Trae, and their cousin, same type of stuff.
Chamillionaire- good mix of music, and his older stuff from 4 years ago, really clever and witty, some of the best metaphors and punchlines ever!
Nas, he's still alive, just hasn't come out with a CD, and isn't about Pop music like Jay Z was, Nas just gets no love from the media.
The Game, I'm not a fan, but he does good music.

Kanye West, does great beats, but sucks as a rapper, his content his good though, he is a genious.

Rock music has fallen off also, I remember the days of Metallica, AC/DC, SevenDust, Tool, Alice N Chains, Guns and Roses, Rage Against the Machine, Live. Now those were rock groups, not these gay punk rock groups, with shiiity guitar play, and a dude that sounds like crap trying to make music.

Cavs2007Champs 08-11-2006 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laalaa
Thank you lord. It's about time to get this crap as far as possible from the mainstream. The genre had nothing good to offer to anyone.

I'm sure you are a racist.

Shepseskaf 08-11-2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laalaa

As someone who grew up in NY when hip hop was just getting started, I can definitively say that your statement is crap. Hip hop was simply brilliant when it first started out. As a genre, it initially grew out of the "house music" craze, which was then mixed with a strong dose of what I would call protest music.

Back in the day, hip hop was virtually the only way for many young black people to express their rage and frustration at being shut out of society. To me "The Message" is still the best hip hop record of all time. The emotions were raw and uncensored. That's what made the entire genre so popular, and brought it into the mainstream -- it was brutally honest in a way that pop music wasn't.

In my view, once hip hop turned into a commercial enterprise it was doomed. I watched regular guys 'from around the way' like Run-DMC become wealthy virtually overnight. in fact, they were among the first rappers to really make the 'big-time', especially after their collaboration on "Walk This Way". Once the objective became to mold the music to a mainstream audience instead of focusing on a real message, then it gradually became crap.

To this day, the most popular (and best) hip hop music came from groups and individuals who spoke from the heart: Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five, Public Enemy, NWA, Rakim, KRS-One, Queen Latifah (in her early days) and many others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I remember sitting in my friend's basement listing to the first hip hop LP every made: King Tim III. At the time, we couldn't believe that someone had actually made a record with music that we only heard at house parties. No one at that time thought the genre would blow up the way it did.

I can't even listen to it anymore. 50 cent has had a couple of passable songs, but he pales in comparison to many of the original hip hop groups. In short, as noted above it was the adaptation of rap for the commercial market that killed its spontaneous nature and its propensity to tell the truth about cultural alienation and many of the other ills found in the black community.