Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 12-16-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default What are your team and player observations so far? Who on the team is playing better

What are your team and player observations so far?

Who on the team is playing better than expected? (And what's better about them?)

And who has been disappointing?

And, how about the team as a whole, what are the key needs now that we're a month and a half into the season?
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #2
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

Default Re: What are your team and player observations so far? Who on the team is playing better

Chris Bosh - Playing like a superstar this year, recently hasn't been playing as good but i don't blame him considering he at times is getting absolutely NO HELP at all but other than that he is playing AMAZING!

Jose Calderon - He isn't playing at a All star level compared to the other guards in the league, some say it's because of his injury but i don't think it's like that ..... Everyone is figuring Jose out that he is a pass first PG and that all teams should attack his defensive, so far i would say he isn't living up to the expectations that we need from him considering we made him up full time starting when we traded away TJ ...... still some time though but unless he picks up his scoring consistent we aren't going no where

Jermaine O'Neil - Playing great! other than when he was hurt, he has been everything that we thought he was going to do, he brings up great defense and his offense is a upgrade from Rasho ..... he is can continue to stay healthy he will solve our Center problem ......

Andrea Bargnani - One word INCONSISTENT, there are times he looks great but than there are times he looks completely lost .... it probably has to do with the stupid coach moving him from SF to PF/C .... one moment they ask him to shot the ball and drive the lane than they ask him to post up every time .... he needs to stick to one mainly ...... is defense is alright but what are you comparing it to? he doesn't guard centers nor does he guard the SF's in the league so really it's below average if you think about it .... other than that he is basically worse than when he came into the league ..... but like everyone says " it's only his 3rd year " how much more do we have to wait?

Kapono, Moon, Graham - all three of these plays are playing great without Coach Mitchel here probably the main reason is because THERE NOT HAVING TO WATCH THERE BACK EVERY TIME THEY TAKE A BAD SHOT ...... Kapono is finally shooting the ball and that's ALL we need him, and for moon he is playing great because Coach Mitchel isn't yelling at him every second, same goes with Joey .....

We need a trade for a Wing who can create his own shot and for others, the only player who can do that is Bosh THATS IT! which is very bad because every other team has more than 2 players who can ..... we need Jose to step it up and show us why we kept him instead of Tj Ford ....... that's what has to happen right now for us to beat some of the better teams ......

Overall as of now it's been a BIG disappointment start of the season, we aren't playing the way we are suppose to and we aren't even winning the game we should be ....... The worst part about this is if we don't improvement to a playoff team this year .... Chris Bosh will 100% leave Toronto in 2 years 2010 because he won't want to be a on losing team ...... will the coaching change help, probably but only time will tell ....

Last edited by jrcp3 : 12-16-2008 at 09:51 PM.
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:54 PM   #3
Maniak
TJ Warren

Default Re: What are your team and player observations so far? Who on the team is playing better

What are your team and player observations so far?

Bosh would be league MVP if the team stepped up. Im not seeing good enough roleplaying being done for this season at all, and Im not talking Dungeons N Dragons **** at all.
Who on the team is playing better than expected? (And what's better about them?)

Bosh has stepped up, and played like a superstar, joining Wade, Kobe, Bron, Howard, Paul. JO is playing well so far, but Id like to see more contributions from him. No bigtime injuries so far is GOOOOOOOOOD

And who has been disappointing?

The bench, and all our perimiter "defenders." I mean this team really needs some D.

And, how about the team as a whole, what are the key needs now that we're a month and a half into the season?

D-Fence is needed.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:22 AM   #4
brwnman

Team Report: Part 1 of 3

Chris Bosh: At the start of the season (the first 15 games), Chris Bosh was playing like the third best player in the NBA, right behind Lebron James and Dwyane Wade. The last 9 games have been pathetic from Bosh and this all started since facing the Lakers. Bosh has been a big reason why we're losing recently, he's playing sub-par. Whether it be fatigue, or him just not having the will anymore to do something for his team, but he has become a problem rather than a solution during this losing funk we're in. Even the games where the wings are coming through, Bosh hasn't been himself. He has become totally reliant on the jumpshot. Many were saying that Bosh has to play like Hercules like he did at the beginning of the year for this team to take the next step; that's far from the truth, Bosh needs to play like that for this team to even make the playoffsif a trade does not occur in the near future.
Grade: B

Jermaine O'Neal: Defensively, he hasn't been anything short of spectacular. A tough interior presence who contest shots and blocks them and gives the Raptors a C so that Bosh does not get worn out come the last 25 games of the season and into the playoffs. However, his offensive game is and has been for the most part, inefficient. He has his nights where his jumper is falling, but offensively he hasn't done much to help shed Toronto's image of a jump shooting team. When he posts up on the right block, and gets inside with his left, he is efficient (he hasn't done enough of that), and has been prone to turnovers and bad shot selection. As much as everyone expects his FG% to go up, and it might go up by a percent or 2, it is still a poor percentage for a big.

Grade: B-

Jose Calderon:
This was suppose to be Jose Calderon's year, where we would see a definite increase in point production along with his assist numbers going up. While his assist totals have been there as he is 3rd in the NBA in Assists Per Game, his game on the court hasn't necessarily reflected that. He has become more passive on offense and has become strictly perimeter oriented as a guard, more so than last year, something many of us didn't think was possible. Another player on the team, where injury might have taken his game away from a bit but is a player who seems to regaining his form from last year recently.

Offensively, he can shoot efficiently with the best of them, however he doesn't do it enough to become a force that all Raptors fans know that he can become. He defers to his teammates because he's always been the point that likes to get the whole team involved. From a personal standpoint, I believe Jose will be the catalyst that will get this team rolling once again and soon enough, we'll see him jacking up more shots and even going inside every now and then.

With that said, Jose has been horrendous on defense and again a regression from how poor he was last year. Teams have exploited that over and over again; the problem stems from two things, lateral quickness and defensive basketball iq. Jose has one of the worst lateral quickness in the NBA, combine that with the fact that he presses every possession and hugs his opponent, it makes it for an easy hoop for his opponent. Jose, along with other Raptors' perimeter defender, have taken their bigs out of the game with bad fouls and the main victim of that has been O'Neal, covering his teammates' backs. There is a light at the end of the tunnel though, Jay Triano is more of a matchup coach than Sam Mitchell ever was, and this means that hopefully we'll see less nights of Calderon trying to guard guys with any sort of "handles" in basketball and hopefully be stuck with guys who are spot up jump shooters.

Grade: D+

Next Volume:
Andrea Bargnani
Jason Kapono
Anthony Parker
Jamario Moon

The grades are based on the season up 'til this point. Taking everything into consideration, the start and the recent funk that we've been in...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:20 AM   #5
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

That's harsh. I'm not the biggest Calderon fan around but I'd give him a C or C- just based on his great shooting and occasional aggressive games on offense.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:24 AM   #6
Sekman
Great young streetballer

that is too too harsh

Bosh A-

O'Neal A (to me, he's been best performer)

Calderon A-

Parker C-

Moon B-

Kapono B+

Graham B

Hump B-

Ukic C+

Soloman C-

Bargs C
Sekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:34 AM   #7
jrcp3
GuardsWinChampionships

Bosh A+

O'Neal B+

Calderon C+

Parker B

Moon B-

Kapono B

Graham C+

Hump C

Ukic C

Soloman D

Bargs C-

Those are totally accurate rankings ....
jrcp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:04 AM   #8
pocketWs
I hit open 5-footers

It's easy to point out that the Raptors are underacheiving thus far this season, aside from Chris Bosh having another amazing year, he's a solide first option on offense, his contribution to team keeps growing. On the downside, most players aren't living up to expectations. Jose Calderon continues to be a key factor in this offense but hasn't broke-out into the all-star point guard we saw glimpse of last season. His defense simply sucks, but we all knew that, it's nothing new. Jay Triano will have to figure out some way to avoid PG isolations and mis-matches. Jermaine O'Neal has been a difference maker for the Raptors interior defense, his presence in the paint has changed the way teams play against Toronto. Unfortunatly, his interior presence hasn't made much of an impact on offense. Agreed, he does provide open shot opportunities to his teammates, but he hasn't been using his size as much as he could, relying on his jumpshot too often.

Dispite showing improvement in rebounding,Andrea Bargnani still struggles to play well on a constant basis. Bargnani has shown us what he can do, question is, will he find the confidence he needs to finally become a star? Anthony Parker, Jamario Moon, Joey Graham and Jason Kapono have been non-factors under coach Mitchell. They might not be the most talented bunch, but that's the Toronto Raptors current wing corp. Coach Triano will have to demonstrate his basketball knowledge to use each player as efficiently as possible.

Coaching will be the key factor for this team for the rest of the season, without a consistant second offensive weapon, coach Triano will have to seek-out mis-matches and draw-up plays to use whatever talent is availible to him. On defense, coach Triano must continue implementing his system and demanding constant effort from every player. Rebounding and turnovers are key aspects the Raptors must improve on to make the playoffs.

And finally, the lack of anything close to descent perimiter defense and a true second scoring option have to be on Brian Colangelo's mind, he has to find a way to improve the wing positions drastically. Work your magic BC.
pocketWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
T-Low
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
Bosh A+

O'Neal B+

Calderon C+

Parker B

Moon B-

Kapono B

Graham C+

Hump C

Ukic C

Soloman D

Bargs C-

Those are totally accurate rankings

Why are you so full of yourself?
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
Maniak
TJ Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low

Because he lacks social skills?

Bosh A+

O'Neal A-

Calderon B-

Parker B-

Moon B-

Kapono B

Graham B

Hump C+

Ukic C+

Soloman C-

Bargs C

These are my rankings, no they arent totally accurate, but they are my opinion. And thats what I'll go by
Old 12-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #11
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcp3
Bosh A+

O'Neal B+

Calderon C+

Parker B

Moon B-

Kapono B

Graham C+

Hump C

Ukic C

Soloman D

Bargs C-

Those are totally accurate rankings ....

And this is accurate!!

Letís start with Moon, B-. He came into camp out of shape and late, quickly worked himself out of the starting line up. He's carrying a lower FG % then last year, is shooting .341 from outside the arc, is getting 2 fewer rebounds per game, fewer blocks and his scoring is down 1.5 points per game. And, going into a contract year. He has to be considered a major, major disappointment this year.

Parker, B. Averaging more minutes with shooting % down more the half a point. Rebounding a whooping 2.8 per game and 2.2 assist. And his defense!!! Arg, the best that can be said about Parker is that heís in his final year.

Graham, C-. In the dog house when Sam was here, let's see that's 15 out of 24 games. Triano gives him minutes and he has a couple of good games, that we've seen from him before (well maybe not you), and we all know what comes next, he implodes mentally again. Way too soon for a C, even if it's a minus.

Kapono, B. I like Kapono, have made it known. 2.3 rebounds and 1.8 assist just does not cut it to be rated a B. And, when you look at the collective achievements of our wing players none of them deserve a B.

When our perimiter defense is as porous as a sponge, and everybody who posts here saying we need a major overhaul at these positions, it should be an indicator that rating this position as a B is a major mistake. Especially from somebody as well respected as you!!!
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:31 PM   #12
Tool
Ball til I fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low

He thinks he has a big pen15. Hes probably not even in puberty yet
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:44 PM   #13
Maniak
TJ Warren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool

WAT IS A POOBURTEE YOU SPEEK OF?

Do I buy it at a store?
Old 12-18-2008, 02:12 AM   #14
T-Low
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool

This is an amazing discovery....we need to do a few tests and see how this turns out....

But on with my gradings...

Chris Bosh: The guy had been playing great the first couple weeks of the season. Banging with the big boys. But let's think about this clearly, do we actually THINK he was going to play this way the rest of the season? Exactly. He has dropped in play tremendously lately and I don't blame him. This team is not working for him and unless we get him some scoring help to take the pressure off him, he's gone come 2010.
Grade: A

Jermaine O'Neal: "He's is gonna lead this team to the playoffs." A lot of people were saying this kind of stuff when he was brought in. But a few were saying stuff about his injury prone past. Well, guess which one is kickin in. He has done a good job on D, but he isn't showing that aggressiveness in which we need.
Grade: B+

Jose Calderon: Our saviour. This guy is crucial for us to even get close to winning. Without this guy in the lineup, we would suck royally. He isn't playing like he is last year, but you can't expect 158% from a guy every game. He still has some game but it seems as if he feels if he has to much pressure on his shoulders to carry this team. Last season, he knew if something started going wrong, Ford could go in so he didn't look so bad. But sorry to say Jose, spotlights on you now.
Grade: B

Anthony Parker: A huge disappointment. We needed this guy to step up with his offense. But he has been injured and has been severely not a factor. His contract is up this year, and I think we should let him go right back over to Europe and play because I think he plays his best game over there.
Grade: C-

Andrea Bargnani: This guy has been an up and down player all season. I like what I see on the defensive stand, but what about if he actually gained a good inside game. Gain some weight? Build more muscle? There is lots he can do. I see though that his blocking capability is a bit better. At least now he HAS a blocking ability.
Grade: C

Jamario Moon: Our defensive small forward. Yes, we got that defense, but we really need a scorer at this position. A scorer who can defend. He is really letting his guy by him so he can try to go for that block. BAD IDEA. Common Jamario, we need more hustle from you. More perimeter defense. He is starting to pick it up, but how far can we really go with him?
Grade: C

Jason Kapono: This guy was supposed to be playing like he was in last years playoffs. Well, he isn't people, and with his contract, we NEED him to at least play exceptionally well to get any trade offers at all. Unless we find someone else with a contract that is almost as bad but will actually fit into this system. Because it seems Kapono is not having confidence in shooting the ball in a game situation. "You can't always have an open shot"...

Joey Graham: Coming into this season, I didn't care if Graham got traded, let go, or whatever. As long as he was gone. But I realized after a while that he wasn't getting much time so he never had much time to prove himself. And when he did get the time, he would get nervous because it never came along enough. Well under Triano's system, Graham has been playing a lot better than he usually would so I am impressed. I have said to many things in the past to criticize him now.
Grade: C+

Kris Humphries: I am not overly impressed with his play this year. He is taking it to the hole, yes. But he is leaving his teammates WIDE OPEN. I like his want to get to the basket but if you don't have the shot, pass off. If he can actually go and make a difference on the defensive end and become more or an aggressive player, I will give him the credit, but I haven't seen it.

Roko Ukic: Big disappointment in my eyes as of so far because this guy has potential. He reminds me a lot like Calderon. And that is big, really. I want to see him do well but as of right now, he hasn't done much to really make a big "whoa". I want to see him improve that jumper he has. Without that jumper, his play isn't as great as it can be. He can pass, don't get me wrong, but he needs to get it to the right player more often.
Grade: D+

Will Solomon: This guy has been a real scorer when givin the minutes. But when in those minutes, he takes more shots than even Bosh himself. The guy needs to become more of a team player in my eyes. If he does this, than he might actually make a name for himself. By no means a star, but at least an average player. At least he has made a name for himself in the raps community (somewhat).
Grade: D
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:29 PM   #15
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Quote:
He is really letting his guy by him so he can try to go for that block. BAD IDEA

Yeah I thought I was just being paranoid but glad someone else noticed that.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: