Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 09-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #1
soog
I brick open layups

soog has no real reputation yet.
Default Are the lakers better than our mavs?

You know, I was thinking, in the last week we have seen a few lakers fans on this board, and to summarize what they have said:

Odom is worth Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse
Kwame and Mihm are better than Damp and Diop

Well I am assuming that they would say Kobe is better than Dirk (hell I'd say it and I'm a die hard mavs fan)

So that then leaves Harris and JET as our last two players who actually contributed to our finals run last year. Well since kobe is better than dirk, he has to be at least worth Devin and Dirk right?

So that gives us:
Odom & Kobe = Dirk, Devin, Howard, & Stack
Kwame and Mihm > Damp and Diop

So:
Odom, Kobe, Kwame, & Mihm > Dirk, Devin, Howard, Stack, Damp, & Diop

Well that leaves Jet and the rest of the guys who didn't really play/contribute last year in the playoffs VS the rest of the lakers. Well since the rest of the guys on the mavs didn't erally contribute lets simplify this to JET vs the lakers. Well between parker and the rest of the bench, I mean they'd have to be at least equal to the value of one Jet right?

so:

rest of the lakers = JET + mavs bench (remember mavs bench didn't do much in playoffs)

so to recap:

Kobe, Odom, Kwame, Mihm, and the rest of the lakers team

is better than

Dirk, Devin, JHo, Stack, Damp, Diop, and mavs bench.

funny how the lakers barely made the playoffs and got knocked out early, while the mavs lost it all in game 6 of the finals, yet the lakers must be a better team according to the logic of the lakers fans ive seen in here...

can someone explain this to me?

Last edited by soog : 09-18-2006 at 05:20 PM.
soog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

I could take the easy way and say there is no explaining the logic of some Lakers fans. Or I could say that the Mavs have been together for a couple of years under Avery and the chemistry is the difference. Or I could say that they severely overrate Lamar Odom. But I believe your post said it best.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Sorry for kinda breaking the silence here with my prescense.

But i think what get's the lakers hyped up to play u guys might be the Phil Jackson and Mark Cuban fued.

Idk why...rivalires can make a horrible team beat the best team.

It could be that...but also because lakers play extremely hard...they may not always play well...but haRD.

But i congratulate the mavs for making the finals this year...i wanted you guys to win...u guys almost had it...then GP made a lucky shot...and only one person in the world saw the phantom foul on wade....and eventually things fell apart a bit.

But i give u gys props u competed with a team that has sooooo many great players (and old ones).
lakerfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:10 PM   #4
mavsfan4zindagi
Decent college freshman

mavsfan4zindagi has an OK reputation so far

Most Laker fans like to have it both ways.

They like to downcast the entire team in an effort to magnify Kobe's greatness and make a case for him being MVP, yet they also want it to be known that their players are valuable enough to get guys like KG and are better then starters on a championship contender.

To answer your question soog, a lack of a high school education might be contributing to this as well.
mavsfan4zindagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:32 PM   #5
lakers-city
Good college starter

lakers-city has decent reputationlakers-city has decent reputation

laker fan here (since 1979) and right now the lakers are NOT better than dallas, we may have a good regular season record against them (in both post shaq seasons) but in a playoffs series, when it matters, the mavericks would have little problem beating us in 5 or maybe in 6. now if you wanna talk about the 1997-2004 lakers (shaq's era) then the lakers are better hands down but i dont think that was the purpose of the question.
lakers-city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #6
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far

@ this thread

of course the lakers are not even close to the mavs. forget player-to-player ratings, it means nothing. god...c'mon mavs fans wth you doing making this thread?
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:16 PM   #7
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

Silent Mav has decent reputationSilent Mav has decent reputation

It was a sarcastic offshoot from another thread. Sometimes you have to make a thread that says
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 03:04 AM   #8
BullsBigMan29
I hit open 5-footers

BullsBigMan29 has an OK reputation so far

Bulls fan here, if it came down to the Lakers and Mavs in the Western Finals, I'd still say Dallas to whup the Lakers. Reason why:

Dirk has help and a more talented cast, Kobe has the help, but feels he has to do it all himself which he shouldn't, he has Lamar and Kwame.

Kobe is better than Dirk, but Dirk had the team that helped him take the Mavs to the finals. Kobe needs some help other than Lamar and Kwame, etc.

With that said I'd still pick the Mavs.
BullsBigMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:46 AM   #9
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus™
@ this thread

of course the lakers are not even close to the mavs. forget player-to-player ratings, it means nothing. god...c'mon mavs fans wth you doing making this thread?
And I suppose the Kings CAN be compared to the Mavs right? Anyway, Lakers always do great against the Mavs head to head but there's no question who the better team is, Dallas has the best bench in the NBA, a top 5 player in Nowitzki (3rd behind Kobe and Duncan IMO) and a top 10 PG. They will be back this year.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
soog
I brick open layups

yeah it appears that i am way to subtle in my sarcasm. I don't in anyway think the lakers are better than the mavs; however, I realized yesterday that I was carrying on conversations in two different threads here where Lakers fans were pointing out how select players from their team are better than select players from our team. And if they are correct in those statements then some small inferences can be made to complete a logical proof showing that the lakers are better than the mavs.

Now for those of you who dont know a lot about logic, here's a quick lesson:

If someone says A>B and B>C this means that it must be the case that A>C; however, if you know that C>A you then have A is not > than B, B is not > than C, or A is not > B and B is not > C.

So if from what those fans said you can arrive at the conclusion that the Lakers are better than the Mavs (which I dont think any sane person would agree with) you have to accept the fact that the statements leading up to that conclusion are wrong in part or in whole.

The purpose of this post was to see how the Lakers fans who made the contributing statements would react to this obviously ludicrous post. Can't say I ever thought anyone would respond to this with any seriousness except for those people. Although, I would like to add that the people who thought I was serious but added insightful comments as to season record vs team performance showed a lot of class by contributing to the discussion instead of posting a lot of emotes and assenine comments.

Last edited by soog : 09-20-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:22 AM   #11
dirkenator
Can barely lace up my sneakers

dirkenator has an OK reputation so far
Default lakers better than the Mavericks ... please

Quote:
Originally Posted by soog
You know, I was thinking, in the last week we have seen a few lakers fans on this board, and to summarize what they have said:

Well I am assuming that they would say Kobe is better than Dirk (hell I'd say it and I'm a die hard mavs fan)

So that then leaves Harris and JET as our last two players who actually contributed to our finals run last year. Well since kobe is better than dirk, he has to be at least worth Devin and Dirk right?

So that gives us:
Odom & Kobe = Dirk, Devin, Howard, & Stack
Kwame and Mihm > Damp and Diop

So:
Odom, Kobe, Kwame, & Mihm > Dirk, Devin, Howard, Stack, Damp, & Diop

Well that leaves Jet and the rest of the guys who didn't really play/contribute last year in the playoffs VS the rest of the lakers. Well since the rest of the guys on the mavs didn't erally contribute lets simplify this to JET vs the lakers. Well between parker and the rest of the bench, I mean they'd have to be at least equal to the value of one Jet right?

so:

rest of the lakers = JET + mavs bench (remember mavs bench didn't do much in playoffs)

so to recap:

Kobe, Odom, Kwame, Mihm, and the rest of the lakers team

is better than

Dirk, Devin, JHo, Stack, Damp, Diop, and mavs bench.

funny how the lakers barely made the playoffs and got knocked out early, while the mavs lost it all in game 6 of the finals, yet the lakers must be a better team according to the logic of the lakers fans ive seen in here...

Ok ... If the lakers were soooo good. Why didnt they make it to the western conference finals? How did the Suns come back and win the series?
dirkenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 06:54 AM   #12
BlondeBomber41
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BlondeBomber41 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan4zindagi
Most Laker fans like to have it both ways.

They like to downcast the entire team in an effort to magnify Kobe's greatness and make a case for him being MVP, yet they also want it to be known that their players are valuable enough to get guys like KG and are better then starters on a championship contender.

To answer your question soog, a lack of a high school education might be contributing to this as well.

Couldnt of said it better myself.

Hell no the Lakers arent better, not even close. I would take Howard over Odom and Damp/Diop over Kwame/Mihm ANY DAY. I would take Dirk over Kobe anyday, dominant franchise big men are alot harder to come by then high scoring SG's.
BlondeBomber41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:15 PM   #13
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber41
Couldnt of said it better myself.

Hell no the Lakers arent better, not even close. I would take Howard over Odom and Damp/Diop over Kwame/Mihm ANY DAY. I would take Dirk over Kobe anyday, dominant franchise big men are alot harder to come by then high scoring SG's.
Sure we can agree Mavs have a better team, but the bolded are border-line retarded.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 06:51 AM   #14
Shark
I hit open layups

Shark has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
since kobe is better than dirk

You're taking here and there comments from different people and trying to make sense. Obviously, you can't.
For my part, I've said Odom a bit better than Howard and I support that. Kobe better than Dirk? I don't know, probably so.
Kwame + Mihm better than Dampier + Diop? Again, is a close one, but I would probably take the LA duo.
The difference between Mavs and Lakers is NOT in the 1-2 punch, neither at the C spot. It's at the other spots, of course.
Speaking about last year's rosters, you have Smush, George, Walton, Vujacic, Cook, Turiaf, Bynum against Terry, Harris, Stackhouse, Griffin, Daniels, Van Horn, ...
And there's no doubt Terry is better than Smush, Harris better than Sasha, Stack better than George, Van Horn better than Cook, ...

Quote:

I hope I did, but I want to say another thing.
By the end of the season, the Lakers were improved, while the Mavs collapsed a little bit in the finals.
LA was really close to win game 6 and advance to the semifinals, just one TT three pointer away. Should LA have advanced to the semifinals, the series with the Clips would have been really close. So they could have even advanced to the WCF.
Would you have felt so good to meet LA in the WCF after LA played so well agains you in the RS?
So, now you see Lakers and Mavs are not SO far. The Mavs are surely better, but should LA add/find 2-3 good role players, things can really change.
And I don't think the Mavs has big room for improvement: don't expect to win it all 3 times in a raw, just because you've been once in the finals. It's not even a lock the WCF for you (Spurs and Suns are to be considered). But we'll see.
Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:30 AM   #15
soog
I brick open layups

See now that was the response I was attempting to encourage from my post... an honest somewhat realistic assesment of the arguments in 2 different threads in here.

I said somewhat realistic because you still seem to be somewhat blinded by the dynasty from a few years back.

A) Saying that the Lakers started coming together at the end of the season while the mavs fell off in the finals does not mean they are "no so far apart" The lakers had a few miraculous games in the playoffs. They also drew a team in the phoenix suns that they matched up very well with. The mavs lost two heart breakers in the finals that could have made them the champs. There is a HUGE difference between almost having a first round upset, and losing two heart breakers in teh finals.

2) If I were taller, and faster, and better at basketball I would be in the NBA. yeah, that's rediculous, stringing together conditional statements to make a point is about as rediculous as me taking "here and there" statements to put this thread together. If the lakers had won, if they could have beat the clips, if they could have beat the mavs, then yes they would have made it to the finals and be right where the mavs were this past year and be "not so far apart." well... except for one major oversight... how would advancing past the suns, with bell out in a pivital game, and clips compare to advancing past the griz and spurs where we swept the grizz and knocked out the spurs at home? Even if you beat pho and even if you beat the clips to meet us in the wcf... it still would not be an on par achievement.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: