Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 01-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Mississippi
Playoffs? Playoffs!!!

Mississippi has decent reputation
Default Gasol doesn't want Conley traded

Quote:
But Griz rookie Marc Gasol wouldn't leave FedExForum on Friday night before he could be heard loud and clear. "That trade doesn't make any sense," Gasol exclaimed, referring to a proposed deal that would send Conley to Milwaukee for Ramon Sessions and Joe Alexander. "It's wrong," the 7-foot Spaniard continued. "I wouldn't trade Mike. You're looking and you're trying to do something to fix this, but that isn't the right thing. There's more to what's going on." Memphis Commercial Appeal

What's funny is that the Griz don't wholeheartedly believe that this deal makes them much better -- something based on an admission from personnel with input on decision-making that getting two players for one is what mostly makes this situation sexy. "I know I'll get in trouble, but I just don't like it," Gasol said. "Mike is an important piece for us. He's a team-oriented player. There aren't many guys like that. He never makes excuses. He's always thinking about the team, and I haven't seen many players in the NBA like that so far."
I wish he'd be quiet about this. I think Sessions would make us alot better because one of our major weaknesses is at the pg position and getting a young project like Joe Alexander for Conley alone would be a huge steal.
Mississippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Kebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKebab Stall is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Gasol doesn't want Conley traded

I agree with Gasol and I like that he is making his feelings known. Sessions, is solid scoring PG, but do we really need him right now? Is he really going to help us much? I doubt it. The team won't get better by getting rid of Conley and bringing in Sessions. The problem right now is something much larger than Conley not having a good season, players are not stepping up and the team has no identity, something which Gasol also mentioned.

Quote:
"We don't have an identity," rookie center Marc Gasol said. "We don't have one. We run around like chickens with our heads cut off. Youth can be a good thing, but we use it as an excuse. We're always making excuses. We make excuses to the referees and to our teammates. We make excuses in practice. That's all some people want to do is make excuses. You're never going to get anywhere like that."

Rest of the article here..... http://www.commercialappeal.com/news...aking-excuses/

Gasol is absolutely right about that. We have no identity and no one knows where we're going, that is not good for a young team. We need a sense of direction and have a goal in mind, otherwise we are going nowhere.

Anyway, our problem won't be fixed with this Conley trade. There are a lot of problems with this team, all of which need to be addressed and sorted out, but that's only going to happen over time and it's sure as hell not going to happen when we keep making stupid excuses for our losses.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
Mississippi
Playoffs? Playoffs!!!

Our biggest flaw is at the 1 and Sessions would address that problem. He can score and is a great playmaker unlike Conley. I think it does help. Getting Alexander and Sessions for Conley alone and then using our draft pick on a scoring big would make the team alot better.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Mississippi
Playoffs? Playoffs!!!

I'm guessing he and Conley must be really close because I didn't hear him complaining about the Milicic trade rumor.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Maybe he's taking shots to what a mofo ballhog Rudy Gay is.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #6
Mississippi
Playoffs? Playoffs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasolina
Maybe he's taking shots to what a mofo ballhog Rudy Gay is.
If we could trade Gay for a defensive stopper or a player that doesn't command the ball as much, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Gay for Tayshaun Prince?

Gay for Ronnie Brewer/Korver?
Old 01-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #7
derf
I airball my layups

derf has an OK reputation so far

conley puts no fear in opposing teams.he cant shoot,play defense,cant score in the paint and looks confused on the court.keeping him wouldnt make any sense at all.sessions have more upside than conley and i doubt if conley gets a consistent shot by next season.the team needs to realize you drafted a backup pg and part ways with conley dont hold on to him hoping he gets better remember stromile swift.we need a pg,pf and a coach ivaroni needs to be replaced.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I think Sessions and Joe Alexander is too much to pass up for Conley. Conley hasnt proved much in his stint in the league, and he has gotten the chance to prove himself. Alexander has played well as of late, and has great upside. The playmaking ability of Sessions would fare well with Mayo and Gay.

Gasol probably doesnt know much about Sessions and Alexander. Im sure if the deal went down, he would be singing a different tune in the next few weeks
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
NY-Knicks
FIRE PRINGLES

NY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNY-Knicks is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

whats up with the rudy gay hating?
i dont watch a lot of the grizzlies games, so can someone help me out here?
NY-Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
Mississippi
Playoffs? Playoffs!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks
I don't really want him traded. I was just talking.

Anyway I do wish he'd stop falling in love with his jumpshot during games. He's too athletic to be settling for jumpers. Last year he could have taking all the shots he wanted to but with Mayo he can't do that. He has to become more team oriented.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
berraco
Darko The Ripper

berraco has decent reputationberraco has decent reputation

Several things on this:
- I've said in the other thread that I would do the trade right now, but I also agree with Gasol. It is not matter of moving Conley, it is matter of a team without a game plan. Would it change so much if Sessions comes? He would be a new threat outside, true, but it is to be seen if that would improve Gay's and Mayo's FGs. And keeping the same coach would not help him at all, as it is not helping Conley or Lowry. Better fire Iavaroni before moving Conley

- Trade Gay? I would probably do it for a star PF. It is not like I want him to go, but that situation would amend an important hole in the team. Maybe the new guy is not that young as Rudy is, but in the end you need some veterans to be a contender.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
CLB1973
Can barely lace up my sneakers

CLB1973 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi
I don't really want him traded. I was just talking.

Anyway I do wish he'd stop falling in love with his jumpshot during games. He's too athletic to be settling for jumpers. Last year he could have taking all the shots he wanted to but with Mayo he can't do that. He has to become more team oriented.

Ironic this mindset is the very crutch at why Conley is viewed so poorly by Memphis fans.
CLB1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

gasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat coolgasolina is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY-Knicks

The hating happens when Rudy:

1) Receives the ball at the wing, faces up, dribbles twice, and takes a contested jumper, and makes about 30% of that

2) Receives the ball in the wing, against a smaller defender, takes it to the hole, and throws up random ****. He can't even do a basic two-step when driving for a layup. This makes him miss a lot of inside looks.

Imagine, he's a very athletic 6'9 wing and he shoots around 40% for the year. And ain't even our leading scorer.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLB1973
Ironic this mindset is the very crutch at why Conley is viewed so poorly by Memphis fans.

Have you watched Conley play with the Grizz?

His man is a few steps a way from just simply turning around and guarding another guy. Everyone plays him for the pass. They give him ample space to drive, and since he never shoots, his man always guard the kickout, resulting to steals, or the recepient's defender recovering on D.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

brandonislegend is considered somewhat coolbrandonislegend is considered somewhat cool

you guys realize rudy gay is 22 years old right.
brandonislegend is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: