Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Clippers Forum

Los Angeles Clippers Forum Clippers message board - clippers fan forum

Old 03-04-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
qrich
King Heno

qrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterqrich is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Sterling Goes On Tirade in Locker Room?

Quote:
The biggest difference between a franchise headed to the playoffs, such as the Cleveland Cavaliers, and a team headed for another long offseason, such as the Los Angeles Clippers, was on display and heard (loudly) following the Clippers home blowout loss to the San Antonio Spurs on Monday night.

Sources within the Clippers organization told Starting Blocks that owner Donald Sterling went on a profanity-laced tirade inside the locker room and threatened to trade the entire team.

Too bad the trade deadline has passed.

Sterling, according to the sources, blasted players by name, including the team's second-leading scorer Al Thornton. In one exchange, Sterling called Thornton the most selfish basketball player he has ever seen. When Thornton asked coach Mike Dunleavy (who was standing nearby) how he was playing, before he could answer Sterling told Dunleavy to "shut up" according to one of the sources.

AP
Clippers forward Al Thornton.

The Clippers, who host the Memphis Grizzlies tonight, are 34 games behind the Pacific Division-leading Los Angeles Lakers.

Besides his consistent losing team, Sterling has other issues. Former GM Elgin Baylor sued Sterling, alleging employment discrimination.

"After that (tirade) the guys don't even want to play for him," said one of the sources. "It'll be hard."

Cleveland Blog-Credit to POZ at DSP for finding it.

I'm not sure how true it is, but if it is, finally Sterling stops just sitting back.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
starface
Banned

starface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation herestarface has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Sterling Goes On Tirade in Locker Room?

I was gonna make a thread about Thornton before i saw this.

This guy does not fit on the team unfortunately. He's a respectable guy who plays hard and is not a problem in the lockerroom or in the community but........he just doesnt get it on the court.

He's not a first or second scoring option because he is too limited by inconsistency. But he plays as if he's the go-to guy. If he played completely within his role - good hard defense, finish at the basket in the open court, and take OPEN jumpshots in the halfcourt - he might be a useful starting 3. But he just forces it too damn much in the halfcourt. He ruins possessions. We can't afford this.

Something has to change. Either his game or the jersey. If he continues to play like this and is still our starting small forward when next season begins, something is SERIOUSLY wrong.
starface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 04:37 AM   #3
dab0yech0
3 Ball like Piatkowski

dab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation heredab0yech0 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by starface
I was gonna make a thread about Thornton before i saw this.

This guy does not fit on the team unfortunately. He's a respectable guy who plays hard and is not a problem in the lockerroom or in the community but........he just doesnt get it on the court.

He's not a first or second scoring option because he is too limited by inconsistency. But he plays as if he's the go-to guy. If he played completely within his role - good hard defense, finish at the basket in the open court, and take OPEN jumpshots in the halfcourt - he might be a useful starting 3. But he just forces it too damn much in the halfcourt. He ruins possessions. We can't afford this.

Something has to change. Either his game or the jersey. If he continues to play like this and is still our starting small forward when next season begins, something is SERIOUSLY wrong.

My biggest problem with him is that he has the tools to attack the rim every possession but he insists on using a fadeaway or a stepback jumper instead. For instance against the Spurs he was being guarded by Matt Bonner most of the night. Some of your average gym rats would be able to blow by Bonner, Al on the other hand decides to do a couple dribbles between the legs then step to his right and force a jumper. What the hell was up with that? Dude needs to stop watching Kobe videos and start learning how to get to the free throw line. Watch some Maggette tapes or something, alot of people bashed his bball IQ but at least Corey knew how to do one thing, get to the charity stripe.
dab0yech0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Waking_Life
El Fuego Del Saber

Waking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableWaking_Life is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I gotta say that Thornton fooled me last season. I was under the impression that his 'individual play' was selfish-like because of the loosing state of the Clippers, but i was wrong.

Not only is he inconsistent, and has somehow found a way to play 'Less' defense than last season, but ALSO he is a pooor decision maker.

He frustrated the hell out of me now... For example last night in one instance, Baron set him up for a lovely OPEN mid-range jumper, near the basket. And what does Thornton do? He hecticly dribbles to the top of the key, and proceeds to take a difficult shot.

He makes the game harder for himself, and plays waaay out control.. Something I felt he would have gotten under control by now...

The Clipps should seriously consider moving him this summer, while he still holds a remnant of a good reputation. Fellas getting old and his potential is fleeing by the day...

Man I CANT wait till E.Gor gets back on the court..
Waking_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:43 PM   #5
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waking_Life
I gotta say that Thornton fooled me last season. I was under the impression that his 'individual play' was selfish-like because of the loosing state of the Clippers, but i was wrong.

Not only is he inconsistent, and has somehow found a way to play 'Less' defense than last season, but ALSO he is a pooor decision maker.

He frustrated the hell out of me now... For example last night in one instance, Baron set him up for a lovely OPEN mid-range jumper, near the basket. And what does Thornton do? He hecticly dribbles to the top of the key, and proceeds to take a difficult shot.

He makes the game harder for himself, and plays waaay out control.. Something I felt he would have gotten under control by now...

The Clipps should seriously consider moving him this summer, while he still holds a remnant of a good reputation. Fellas getting old and his potential is fleeing by the day...

Man I CANT wait till E.Gor gets back on the court..

His inconsistency is his main problem imo, but he recently has become a ballhogging ******* unlike last season. I also think the losing mentality has ****ed him up. He thinks oh well we're gonna lose anyway so lemme go for 30 points. His coach isn't helping either. Goddamnit Mike Dunleavy step down as coach right now.

Also old? Since when is 25 old? And his potential is through the roof right now. He has the ability to be one of the best SF's in the league. The Clippers need to build around him and Gordon. You've seen what those two can accomplish together.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 11:46 PM   #6
Al Thornton
the mind is so complex

Al Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAl Thornton is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab0yech0
My biggest problem with him is that he has the tools to attack the rim every possession but he insists on using a fadeaway or a stepback jumper instead. For instance against the Spurs he was being guarded by Matt Bonner most of the night. Some of your average gym rats would be able to blow by Bonner, Al on the other hand decides to do a couple dribbles between the legs then step to his right and force a jumper. What the hell was up with that? Dude needs to stop watching Kobe videos and start learning how to get to the free throw line. Watch some Maggette tapes or something, alot of people bashed his bball IQ but at least Corey knew how to do one thing, get to the charity stripe.

Same here. This is where a GOOD coach comes in handy. Dunleavy is a little ***** and doesn't know how to tell his players what to do. A coach like Avery Johnson would fit perfectly in LA.
Al Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #7
winningfreak
I brick open layups

winningfreak has not been impressing people
Arrow Re: Sterling Goes On Tirade in Locker Room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Thornton
Same here. This is where a GOOD coach comes in handy. Dunleavy is a little ***** and doesn't know how to tell his players what to do. A coach like Avery Johnson would fit perfectly in LA.
I said this same thing after game 1 this season.

I really do hope that this is not true, Eric Gordon has played hard all season and in my opinion deserve's Rookies of the year honors. I can understand Sterlings frustration but I really do hope he can see the light at the end of the tunnel, this is a team that should make the playoff's just have had horrid injury problems this season and if they can keep it together next season and get a good coach who is willing to take on the challenge this we might be able to be in the top 4 or 5 in the west.

I personaly do not think I am going to renew my season seats after this season unless: Dunleavy gets fired for the Coaching spot (hes not a bad GM we could use him there )
winningfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: