Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Minnesota Timberwolves Forum

Minnesota Timberwolves Forum Minnesota Timberwolves forum - Minnesota T-Wolves message board

Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default If Ricky Rubio comes, I wonder if he and Jonny Flynn play together

Or if one starts and the other plays backup (which would really be a waste, probably).

I assume the popular opinion, that one gets traded, is still the best guess
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:02 AM   #2
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: If Ricky Rubio comes, I wonder if he and Jonny Flynn play together

It would be cool if we got Blount cuz we know Rubio is playing. I hope we see more new additions to our roster soon. We still need a 6'6"-6'8" guy who can play the 2 or 3. Always playing PG's at the one and 2 is getting old.
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
twolvesfan
Banned

twolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04mzwach
It would be cool if we got Blount cuz we know Rubio is playing. I hope we see more new additions to our roster soon. We still need a 6'6"-6'8" guy who can play the 2 or 3. Always playing PG's at the one and 2 is getting old.
Ya im starting to believe that Rubio will come over this year. The FO of the wolves obviously knows more about the situation then the public and essentially every move we made so far as been to clear the backcourt.

As far as rubio and flynn playing together, so far Kahn and Rambis have said that Rubio wi,ll be the starter. i dont believe Kahn and Rambis would name Rubio the starter without actually seeing him play with the Wolves and they might just be saying this to make Rubio happy idk. Either Way if Rubio comes over this year it's very possible for both to get 30+ minutes a game so it wont be a waste as you alluded to insidehoops
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #4
Marny Navis
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Marny Navis has an OK reputation so far

I've heard that the Timberwolves want to play more up-tempo, but I'm not sure to what degree. If they plan on running a ton and sacrificing defense (which I doubt they will), then I could see Rubio and Flynn playing together. That would be a very quick backcourt, but it wouldn't work out. Neither player shoots well, they're both inexperienced, and their perimeter defense would be absolutely atrocious. Without a shot blocker in the paint, it would be too easy to score on the Wolves.

A trade is the best option. I'm not sure what they could get in return, but shooting guard is looking like the biggest weak spot on the roster. Small forward isn't great either, and a defensive-minded center to pair with Jefferson is also an option. They will have hands down the worst backcourt in the league next year if they don't make some moves, and having those two together at one position is a waste of talent.

With so many holes throughout their roster, Minnesota is in for a rough season. They don't have the offensive fire power to be anything more than below average, and defense isn't going to be strong either, though Rambis will help in that respect. I predict them to finish in the bottom three of the league (along with New Jersey and Milwaukee). Imagine if they land the first pick and John Wall's the only player worth selecting #1.
Marny Navis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
twolvesfan
Banned

twolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputationtwolvesfan has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marny Navis
I've heard that the Timberwolves want to play more up-tempo, but I'm not sure to what degree. If they plan on running a ton and sacrificing defense (which I doubt they will), then I could see Rubio and Flynn playing together. That would be a very quick backcourt, but it wouldn't work out. Neither player shoots well, they're both inexperienced, and their perimeter defense would be absolutely atrocious. Without a shot blocker in the paint, it would be too easy to score on the Wolves.

A trade is the best option. I'm not sure what they could get in return, but shooting guard is looking like the biggest weak spot on the roster. Small forward isn't great either, and a defensive-minded center to pair with Jefferson is also an option. They will have hands down the worst backcourt in the league next year if they don't make some moves, and having those two together at one position is a waste of talent.

With so many holes throughout their roster, Minnesota is in for a rough season. They don't have the offensive fire power to be anything more than below average, and defense isn't going to be strong either, though Rambis will help in that respect. I predict them to finish in the bottom three of the league (along with New Jersey and Milwaukee). Imagine if they land the first pick and John Wall's the only player worth selecting #1.
wall could make a transition to SG fairly easily. but ya i agree with you to an extent about how the wolves will do. much like every year we will probably finish a little better then people expect but we arent going to be pushing for a play off spot this year. and like ive said before, after the draft and FA next year our team will be pretty much set (3 first rounders at max + a bunch of cap room). the year after next is when i will start to have expectations for this team.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_1313202...e=most_emailed

Quote:
The Timberwolves and Ricky Rubio's representatives haven't given up on getting the 18-year-old point guard out of his Spanish contract for the coming NBA season. A little birdie says Rubio already has $600,000 in endorsements lined up if he legally can get to Minnesota.

Although Rubio's DKV Joventut contract has a $6.6 million buyout, that's expected to be negotiated down to about half that with the team, and loans to Rubio would allow him to pay them back over several years.

Quote:
LizStrand: Just stood next to #Timberwolves VP David Kahn in the airport. He is headed to Barcelona, though not bringing Ricky back quite yet. about 1 hour ago from Twitter

another trip back to spain for kahn...my hopes for rubio playing here this year have just gone up a ton. Kahn traveling back to Spain has to mean somehting is happening...
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
la bomba
Local High School Star

la bomba has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolvesfan
wall could make a transition to SG fairly easily. but ya i agree with you to an extent about how the wolves will do. much like every year we will probably finish a little better then people expect but we arent going to be pushing for a play off spot this year. and like ive said before, after the draft and FA next year our team will be pretty much set (3 first rounders at max + a bunch of cap room). the year after next is when i will start to have expectations for this team.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_1313202...e=most_emailed

another trip back to spain for kahn...my hopes for rubio playing here this year have just gone up a ton. Kahn traveling back to Spain has to mean somehting is happening...
As predicted staying in barcelona. doesn't have to move, 1 million euros a year increasing every year for six years with possibility to buy out after 2 years for only 1 million euros. Playing with big players and competing with a real chance to winning spanish league,euroleague and spanish cup,way more things that he would compete for in the NBA.He will only be a better player for it.In the long run the wolves will get a better player.
la bomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

wow, just read that rubio will stay overseas for 2 more yrs. he had better be worth the wait, huh?
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: