Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-19-2009, 06:39 PM   #1
visirale
Local High School Star

visirale has decent reputation
Default SVG has private meeting with Dwight Howard, pledges to be less negative...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sport...,1594533.story

Quote:
Orlando Magic superstar Dwight Howard told the Sentinel on Thursday that he asked Stan Van Gundy in a private meeting to quell what he perceived as the coach's recurring negativity.

The fiery, demanding Van Gundy confirmed that he met with Howard, who was speaking on behalf of the team.

"I think, as a team, there was a lot of negativity and it's not like Stan's a negative guy," Howard said before the Magic left for Boston to face the Celtics on Friday night. "But it's like there's always some clashes and focusing so much on our mistakes. Instead of bringing each other down, we have to pull each other up.

"That's the only thing I wanted from coach."

Van Gundy told the Sentinel that his negativity was "draining the enthusiasm" from his team. He vowed to change his tactics --- from practices to press conferences to the bench on game nights --- after listening to Howard's concerns.

Lots more in the link...

I'm glad they handled it like men, got it all sorted out now. It could have become a meltdown if they let it fester and explode in the middle of the season. I think it shows some good leadership by Dwight. Hopefully they'll start getting everything together now.

I loved SVG's biting criticism, but I am not a pro NBA player listening to it about me personally night in and night out. It will be interesting to see if he is perceived as a better or worse coach as this plays out.

Edit: This part is particularly funny, especially "little mary sunshine"

Quote:
"Absolutely, on the bench. I would say that's the biggest area…on the bench," he said. "I know it can be done with the same level of intensity. You can make your point. I just got to make them better. And with less negativity. But the intensity level won't drop, not on my part.

"It is my basic nature to sort of slide into that…I'm never going to be Little Mary Sunshine, but I got to find a better balance. I've certainly gone too far the other way."
visirale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: SVG has private meeting with Dwight Howard, pledges to be less negative...

Two people behaving like grown men in the NBA?

Now this is BREAKING NEWS.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
artificial
:-P

artificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected posterartificial is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: SVG has private meeting with Dwight Howard, pledges to be less negative...

Wait, so where's the drama? Where are the low hits via media, the betrayal and the team divided taking sides? Orlando urgently needs to bring Marbury out of retirement.

I just gained a little more respect for Orlando, SVG and Dwight.
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
04mzwach
NBA sixth man of the year

04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool04mzwach is considered somewhat cool

Dwight has always been way too sensitive.
04mzwach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #5

SVG is awesome, why's Dwight have his skirt lifted up so high o.O
Old 11-19-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Bunch of pansies in Orlando. JVG was miserable after every win and was always quick to point the mistakes of the team. Even with T-mac on board, this team took what JVG said and played harder.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
sergiorodriguez

JVG couldnt even take the leagues most talented, ungaurdable duo out of the first round though
Old 11-19-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
oh the horror
7-time NBA All-Star

oh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteroh the horror is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04mzwach
Dwight has always been way too sensitive.

Yes, but at least they handled it like an organization, and its players should have. Behind closed doors!
oh the horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
ElPigto
*****istrator

ElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterElPigto is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiorodriguez
JVG couldnt even take the leagues most talented, ungaurdable duo out of the first round though

You really don't want to argue this, you'll lose.

BTW I won't hijack this thread so I'll stop here.
ElPigto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:29 PM   #10
visirale
Local High School Star

visirale has decent reputation

This is my take on it...

I'm cool with it. I love SVG *****ing people out, but I'm not a pro basketball player playing for him. It's not like they're completely incompetent and idiots running around the court, they have a good general idea of what they're doing. I know that some positive reinforcement can go along way instead of drilling on the negative continuously.

Phil Jackson has always been pretty encouraging to his teams, it's worked out for him.

I think that SVG is a great coach and he'll be able to find a way to get his team to listen to him and respect him without berating them all the time.
visirale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
HylianNightmare
Moe Harkless Bandwagon

HylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHylianNightmare is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

good job, now go out there and produce big man
HylianNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: