Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation
Default NBA average vertical leap is...

28 inches according to ESPN. I thought it would be higher.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #2
KG5MVP
Banned

KG5MVP has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsKG5MVP has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsKG5MVP has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsKG5MVP has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsKG5MVP has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts
Default Re: NBA average vertical leap is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliteballer
28 inches according to ESPN. I thought it would be higher.

u got players like yao ming and kevin garnett dragging down the average
KG5MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm slightly above average!
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

It's better to look at it by position:

No step vert

PG: 29.4
SG: 29.7
SF: 29.7
PF: 28.5
C: 26.8

Max vert:

PG: 34.9
SG: 35
SF: 34.5
PF: 32.8
C: 30.7

Basketball, despite being a very explosive plyometric activity, is an endurance game as well so bball players verts won't be as high as football players... also a lot of basketball players don't train for explosion so that's another thing. Every football player trains for explosion so their verts and 40 times are about as good as they can possibly get.

What separates bball players are their wingspans and vertical reaches.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
m y t i n
I hit open 5-footers

m y t i n has decent reputation

is a 30 inch vertical alright?
m y t i n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
BIG_MIKE_27
Can barely lace up my sneakers

BIG_MIKE_27 has an OK reputation so far

and the average vert of a kangaroo is 96 inches!

... dont know why i know that!
BIG_MIKE_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Jesus, thats it? I had a 38-40 vert at my peak. My no step was slightly over 30, but I can't remember it exactly.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
phoenix18
4/27/91-7/23/09

phoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterphoenix18 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
Jesus, thats it? I had a 38-40 vert at my peak. My no step was slightly over 30, but I can't remember it exactly.
You have to remember that this is an average. There a lot of players who are practically done that are included in those measurements.

My max was a 34, but I NEVER trained. To this day, I hate exercising just to exercise.
phoenix18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
jstern
Great college starter

jstern is considered somewhat cooljstern is considered somewhat cool

That must be the average standing vertical.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation

Mine is 35 inches running. Im only 5'8" though so i need about 4 inches to dunk it
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm good for about 36 max, maybe higher if I worked out more and didn't have knee injuries. But I'm only 5'8" so I can't dunk.

This is why it's laughable that people act like Kobe wasn't athletic in his prime. His max vert was in the upper 30's.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix18
You have to remember that this is an average. There a lot of players who are practically done that are included in those measurements.

My max was a 34, but I NEVER trained. To this day, I hate exercising just to exercise.

No it's not... the guys are tested at the combine so they are essentially in their athletic prime.

I find it hard to believe that your guy's verts are as high as you say especially if you haven't trained. Before I trained I was at about 31 (running) and was squatting over 300... and I was jumping higher than most people on the floor (not much higher but definitely higher). When I got it up to 34 I was jumping higher than almost everyone. My dude has a 37" vert and he is jumping way higher than anyone on the floor 9 times out of 10... So are you guys all a bunch of athletes or are you overestimating your vert? A lot of people overestimate their vert... they think because they can wrap their fingers around the rim that they have a 35 inch vert (At 5'8 that might actually be the case tho taking your reach into consideration).

Last edited by Swaggin916 : 04-07-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 PM   #13
Luigi
Formerly luigi>mario

Luigi has decent reputationLuigi has decent reputation

Can't teach height.
Luigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

O.J A 6'4Mamba posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryO.J A 6'4Mamba posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Also the NBA Max vertical isn't a running vertical. That's the big misconception. They just take one step and explode up with 2 feet, what the pre draft camp and youll see. That begin said I believe Nick Young of the Wizards has the highest standing vertical jump recording at the combine in the NBA with 39 inches.
O.J A 6'4Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #15
magnax1
Baby I'm the best

magnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemagnax1 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Just standing, right? Mine was only 18 standing, and 25 movings. Pretty sad....
magnax1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: