Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 11-18-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Stinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputation
Default The Browns

I must admit that the Browns are my new favorite team to watch (besides my Eagles). They really play football the right way. They play a very disciplined brand of football and do not beat themselves. It's really quite impressive how their defense has gone from one of the worst in the league to now one of the best. They've only allowed one rushing touchdown all year, truly amazing that this is the same unit that allowed over 20 last year.

Their record is not indicative of how good of a football team they are. They're every bit as good as almost any team in the league. I know that is a crazy statement but aside from the Pittsburgh game which was McCoy's first start they've been in EVERY game. I've never seen a team lose so many close games.

Peyton Hillis has very quickly become my favorite player in the entire NFL. A 7th round pick out of Arkanas who originally played fullback for the Broncos as most of you know he was traded for none other than Brady Quinn. He is like John Riggins meets Mike Alstott meets Marshall Faulk. Obviously slightly exaggerating a bit about the Faulk comparison but this guy has an amazing set of hands. A very fluid route runner as well. His skill set is tremendous not to mention he is the most powerful runner in the league. He absolutely punishes opposing defenses. He seems to get stronger as the game wears on the more carries he gets. It also helps that he runs behind one of the best line in football. The left side of that line is as good as any in the league.
The guy is criminally underrated too. I'm not one to pull the race card but it has to do something with the fact that he's white. He's on pace to have 1800 yards of offense, 16 touchdowns, and catch 60 passes. What's also impressive is he's had 3 games with 10 or less carries.

McCoy looks great. I don't watch a ton of college ball but I never expected him to be successful in the NFL, especially as a rookie. He's 2-2 in his first 4 starts against the Jets, Patriots, Saints, and Steelers. He also has a 85 passer rating which is higher than Carson Palmers. He hasn't thrown an INT in the past 3 games. He's been extremely efficient and it's not a fluke either. He reminds me a lot of Drew Brees. The Browns found themselves a winner.

A lot of credit has to be given to Mike Holmgren. Again I'd like to reiterate how deceiving their record is. They're playing as well as any team in the entire league. They're very young on both sides of the ball. I think they have a shot to finish 8-8 but most likely will go 7-9 which is extremely impressive playing in the AFC North playing musical chairs at QB for the first 5 games of the season. I know this sounds bold and maybe a bit crazy but they can become a future dynasty if they can add a playmaker on offense who can stretch the field. Their leading receiver is a tight end and their leading tackler is a safety (a great one at that). It's also extremely impressive how good their defense has been without a premier edge rusher.

Long story short this team is going to be great for year to come. They're already very good in the most competitive division in football. Insert them into the NFC West and they go 11-5 this year and even win a playoff game.

Go Browns.
Stinky Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Browns

it is going to take a lot for me to ever believe in McCoy...and unfortunately for homer reasons I will likely never like him as a player, sorry RBA...lol

I have seen too much of him sucking in college, i have never thought he was good, and yes, I understand he won a ton and was even in the Heisman running one year, but with all the constant Bradford to Colt comparisons I have witnessed, it is like night and day between the two of them...Bradford is miles better.

I do believe the two are close freinds though...haha

I guess if Sam can like the guy then maybe I should learn to...as far as just being a human being, Colt is a great guy...

"Colt"...such a Texas sounding name too...lol
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Stinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputationStinky Dog has a terrific reputation

Bradford is amazing and the real deal. He will blossom into a perennial pro bowler and already is one of the most accurate QBs in the league. The guy is awesome but this thread is about THE BROWNS.

The new team. My new squad. I'm officially on the bandwagon way before it gets overloaded.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster-playmaker- is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
Bradford is amazing and the real deal. He will blossom into a perennial pro bowler and already is one of the most accurate QBs in the league. The guy is awesome but this thread is about THE BROWNS.

The new team. My new squad. I'm officially on the bandwagon way before it gets overloaded.
I wasn't trying to make this about Sam, it is just him and Colt have a ton of history together...

Texas vs. OU...you know?

-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:56 AM   #5
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm still getting used to the idea of the Browns becoming a fan-favorite, but it is pretty cool nonetheless. I had gotten so used to us getting the shaft every week in terms of officiating crew and broadcasting crew. This past week against the Jets, we had CBS's top announcing crew and one of the top group of officials. That is when you know that your team is beginning to arrive.

Our schedule so far this year has been absurd. I posted it in another thread, but it is worth repeating. Yes, we are 3-6, but Cincinnati is the only sub-.500 team we have played and even they are not bad. The other eight games have been against Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Atlanta, New England, NY Jets and New Orleans.

There aren't too many teams in the NFL that would have a >.500 record against that brutal run.

This team needs a No. 1 receiver and a natural pass rushing DE or OLB. Outside of that, we are pretty set. The offensive line has to be one of the very best in the league... Maybe THE best unit.

We have a QB who is getting better and better each week and the RB position speaks for itself. I can't help but to think of next year and the possible tandem of Hillis and Hardesty. If Montario can stay healthy (a big 'if' at this point), you are talking about a brutal 1-2 punch, especially behind that line.

The defense has obviously been outstanding, with the exception of Eric Wright. He has been horrible this year, but thankfully, Haden, Sheldon and TJ have been picking up the slack.

Oh yeah... Our special teams are great.

It is amazing what can happen in such a short window when you get a FO that knows what the hell it is doing. Credit also has to go to Mangini and his staff. These guys look finely tuned and completely in sync. That is a sign of superb coaching.

It sounds funny that a fanbase is so happy about a 3-6 team, but you have to understand where we've been for the last 15 years to get why people are so excited.

Go Browns! (happy to have you on board, Marlo)
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #6
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

RBA is the ultimate Browns fan.

I'd like to become the driver of their bandwagon.

Anyone wanna come on board?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
TheSituation

i jumped on the bandwagon before you fyi.

you forgot to mention Hillis has some of the best RB hands in the NFL, and could be a TE easy.

and considering you're an eagles fan surprised you didn't bring up Harrison
Old 11-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Id probably like this team if it weren't the Browns lol. I would love to have their offensive line tho, they've got a great left side. I've been pleasantly surprised by Colt and the combo of Hillis and Hardesty could be pretty great next year. TJ Ward is a stud and Joe Hayden has been pretty damn good too. They do need a legit #1 receiver on their offense now.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #9
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

Is that Dogg Pound guy still alive? I think his name is Big Dog Robinson.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It'll take a notable personality or two for me to actually open up to the Browns. The few games this season I have sat thru they were solid. Hillis definately is a fun player to watch. Just old school style of player. I'm not jumping on the Brownies bandwagon but there may be a day where I dont poke fun at that franchise anymore.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #11
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSituation
i jumped on the bandwagon before you fyi.

you forgot to mention Hillis has some of the best RB hands in the NFL, and could be a TE easy.

and considering you're an eagles fan surprised you didn't bring up Harrison
Quote:
Obviously slightly exaggerating a bit about the Faulk comparison but this guy has an amazing set of hands.

Thats a quote from the OP ^

What does Jerome Harrison have to do with anything?
Old 11-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
Stinky Dog
Local High School Star

If the Browns make a run at Vincent Jackson (who I believe will be a UFA) that would catapult them into the elite. They should have a top 15 pick and can hopefully net an edge 3-4 lineman who can get after the QB.

It's all about Hillis.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #13
Posterize246
PhilLEEs 2011

Posterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPosterize246 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

f*ck the Browns
Posterize246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #14
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Dog
If the Browns make a run at Vincent Jackson (who I believe will be a UFA) that would catapult them into the elite. They should have a top 15 pick and can hopefully net an edge 3-4 lineman who can get after the QB.

It's all about Hillis.
I really want either AJ Green or Justin Blackmon in the upcoming draft. If we get one of those, I will start to think about us in terms of being a real contending team in the AFC.

Vincent Jackson would be nice, but Mangini/Holmgren/Heckert have been very careful to rid themselves of a specific kind of 'me first' player and fill the roster with character guys. I don't know enough about Jackson to say whether or not he would fit, but this whole ridiculous holdout is putting some questions in my mind.

Given the choice, I would rather get Green in the draft and have him grow as a player in this locker room with these coaches. Living with Braylon and KWII for several years was enough to make me very weary about hot-headed WRs/TEs.

-pt-,
I said long before the draft that Bradford was the best QB prospect I had seen come along in a long, long time. He has all of the physical gifts to be an elite QB for a long, long time.

I was very happy about getting Colt in the 3rd Round, but his preseason left me more than a little shaky on him. I also went to several sessions of training camp and he looked way off. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't concerned.

However, there is something about that guy when the lights come on and it is time to play a real game. Confident oozes out of him and hits the rest of the team. You can feel it when watching him on television, but you can especially see it when you go to a game.

Colt is in everyone's face during TV timeouts and he has an aura of belief at all times. I now know why he was the winningest QB ever at Texas.

The guy doesn't have all of the physical tools in the world (although he is very accurate), but he just has the 'it' factor. I know it is over-stated and a lot of people say it just because he is an undersized quarterback, but he really reminds me of a young Drew Brees.

He just understands the game and, from what I've heard, he is a tireless worker who goes over the gameplan and studies film obsessively. I just love what I'm seeing.

If you would have told me that he would be this good this soon, I would have called you a liar. It just fires me up thinking about how good he could be when he has a couple of years under his belt and a real No. 1 receiving threat by his side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posterize246
f*ck the Browns

F#ck you, f#cker.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If the Browns were to somehow draft Jon Baldwin, I think my soul would die.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: