Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Blue&Orange
NBA rookie of the year

Default Did Bryan Colangelo make more mistakes than Isiah Thomas?

Quote:
Mistake No. 1: For financial reasons, they traded the No. 21 pick (Rajon Rondo) to Boston along with Brian Grant's contract (chopping $1.9 million from their 2007 payroll) for the rights to Cleveland's 2007 first-round pick. This was a double whammy because they acquired that Rondo pick two years before by giving up the No. 7 pick in the 2004 draft (for luxury tax reasons). So if you're scoring at home, they downgraded from "Luol Deng or Andre Iguodala in 2004" to "Rondo in 2006" to "selling the No. 24 pick in 2007 for cash" (we'll get to that in a second)... which means that, effectively, they traded a No. 7 pick in a loaded draft for $4.9 million. Phoenix fans, you may now light yourselves on fire.

(What makes that one even more painful: Instead of signing Richardson before the 2004-05 season to a six-year, $42.6 million deal, they could have drafted Deng or Igoudala that summer and paid one of them two-fifths as much as Richardson over that same time frame. One year later, they swapped Richardson and the No. 21 pick in 2005 for Kurt Thomas, who they dumped on Seattle last summer along with two more No. 1's just to get him off their cap. As astounding as this sounds, Bryan Colangelo's decision to sign Richardson instead of drafting Deng or Iguodala -- which was dumb at the time, by the way -- ended up costing them a whopping FOUR FIRST-ROUND PICKS! Would you rather have Richardson, or would you rather have the No. 7 pick in 2004, the No. 21 pick in 2005, and your first-rounders in 2008 and 2010? Hold on, this gets better. Your 2005 NBA Executive of the Year? That's right, Mr. Bryan Colangelo! I love the NBA.)

Mistake No. 2: They sold the No. 27 pick to Portland (that ended up being Sergio Rodriguez). What's confusing is that they traded/sold those No. 1s for luxury tax reasons, and yet ...

Mistake No. 3: Two weeks later, they signed Marcus Banks to a five-year, $24 million deal to back up Nash. Marcus Banks!?!?!? Can you think of a worse guy for NashBall? He can't shoot 3s, he's a career loser, he's never won in college or the pros, it's unclear whether he'd ever accept a reduced role behind a two-time MVP ... let's get him! Why not just draft Rondo at 21 (or Marcus Williams, or Kyle Lowry, or Jordan Farmar) and develop him as a backup for one-fourth the price of Banks? Why not draft Rodriguez at No. 27 and hope he pans out for one-fifth the money?

(You're lucky I'm not a Suns fan -- I would have written 15 consecutive columns complaining about this paragraph alone. For the life of me, I will never figure out the appeal of Marcus Banks for $24 million. All they had to do was hit one freaking Celtics message board from the '05-'06 season and check one of the 35 "MARCUS BANKS SUCKS" threads. My god.)

There's more:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...mmons%2F080501
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
Kevin_Gamble
Good High School Starter

Default Re: Did Colangelo outdid Isiah and we didn't notice?

What were Isaiah's mistakes on the similar level?

Other than Larry Brown, that is, though was that Isaiah?
Kevin_Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #3
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn

i thought the selling picks stuff were more due to sarver .
Rekindled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #4
Stuckey
ifirtworld

plus he picked bargnani at number 1 in 2006
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Blue&Orange
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekindled
i thought the selling picks stuff were more due to sarver .
What about Q. and Banks?
Old 07-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Gamble
What were Isaiah's mistakes on the similar level?

Other than Larry Brown, that is, though was that Isaiah?
He took a variety of bad contracts and spun them into longer bad contracts. By doing this he took us from suck to suck. We didn't improve at all. he instigated a huge fight with Denver to take attention away from his failures. He was a terrible coach, and had a huge embarassing falling out with marbury. He also wound up costing MSG millions in a lawsuit for sexual harrasment. aside from making us a total laughing stock, spinning out from his mess took two years of total no value trades (getting nothing in return) to clear cap space. TWO YEARS.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star

Default Re: Did Bryan Colangelo make more mistakes than Isiah Thomas?

Isiah has maybe the BEST eye for talent in the entire league...he's just an idiot otherwise.

drafted: Tracy McGrady, Marcus Camby, Damon Stoudemire, David Lee, Wilson Chandler, etc etc.
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
hawkfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
Isiah has maybe the BEST eye for talent in the entire league...he's just an idiot otherwise.

drafted: Tracy McGrady, Marcus Camby, Damon Stoudemire, David Lee, Wilson Chandler, etc etc.

Isaiah didn't want to draft David Lee. That said, his draft record is fairly solid and clearly better than his trading record, which is the worst ever in the league.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Collie
College star

Well, put it this way. The Suns were contenders for a few years, and Colangelo still has a job. Isiah was BOOED by the fans and was probably the most infamous example of a bad GM in history.
Collie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
Isaiah didn't want to draft David Lee. That said, his draft record is fairly solid and clearly better than his trading record, which is the worst ever in the league.

Camby has probably been the best defensive center over the past 10 years...

and McGrady is a future hall of famer...that he selected at #9 i believe, so it's not like when the Bulls got the #1 pick and it was a no brainer to get Rose.

David Lee Isiah was back and forth about, but ultimately he pulled the trigger
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Blue&Orange
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie
Well, put it this way. The Suns were contenders for a few years, and Colangelo still has a job. Isiah was BOOED by the fans and was probably the most infamous example of a bad GM in history.
I think the Suns being so close to win makes it worse.

Isiah took a crappy team and prolonged Knicks irrelevance, Colangelo probably stole a title from the Suns fans.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #12
stephanieg
College superstar

I was under the impression the problems in Phoenix stemmed from Sarver. Or at least, were heavily influenced by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collie
Isiah was BOOED by the fans and was probably the most infamous example of a bad GM in history.

That honor goes to Ted Stepien. Isiah doesn't have a rule named after him to prevent GMs from destroying their franchise. Although Ted was an owner, but he called the shots.

As for Colangelo, why is he trying to make a team of white Euro jumpshooters? It's OK to draft someone like Bargs in a weak draft, but to pretend he's a valuable player and pay him like he is one is just ugh.

Last edited by stephanieg : 07-03-2011 at 09:28 PM.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
Kungfro
NBA lottery pick

I remember someone posting an article saying how him taking on Banks from Miami made the big three signing possible, but I can't find it.

Did find this while I was searching though.
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=218098
Kungfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #14
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

I think it has a lot to with Sarver. Think about it, why would a GM want to save the owner money? Sure he made mistakes on what he got for the picks (they could've gotten more than cash possibly). Also think about how even after he left they let Amar'e go for nothing after a huge year and 2 wins away from the finals... then they go and spend that money on the likes of Dudley, Frye, Childress and Warrick. I think the owner is just a cheap dumb@ss
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: