Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Knicks add Mike Woodson as assistant coach

He'd be the defensive guy behind coach Mike D'Antoni

Skim-read here: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8103

Your thoughts?
insidehoops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

MeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Knicks may interview Mike Woodson for assistant coaching job

Not bad. Definitely the biggest name available. Not nearly as good Frank would've been. But I do think he'll be able to succeed in that defensive assistant role because he struggles with offense (see the Hawks Joe Johnson iso system) and could just concentrate on defensive strategies and schemes.
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
And though Dumars never publicly indicated whom he preferred to succeed John Kuester as coach, several people around the league believe he preferred former Hawks coach Mike Woodson to Frank. But Frank blew Gores and his people......

Wow.....that explains it........whatever it takes to get that job............
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
Faberg
Local High School Star

Faberg has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Wow.....that explains it........whatever it takes to get that job............
Faberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
iDunk
JC.IS.CA.AS.SD.TH.JS

iDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputationiDunk has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Should Knicks hire Mike Woodson? And should Woodson eventually be head coach

I'd rather have him than D'Antoni that's all I know. He knows defense something D'Antoni doesn't, plus he knows how to handle isolation players. He got a team of Joe Johnson, Josh Smith, and Al Horford to almost defeat the 2008 Champions. It'd be amazing to see what he would do with Billups, Melo, and Amare.
iDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Clutch
Stop flopping

Clutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableClutch is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Should Knicks hire Mike Woodson? And should Woodson eventually be head coach

I am all for hiring him as an assistant.
For head coach - I don't know.
I'm willing to give D'Antoni a chance if he gets a quality defensive assistant like Woodson.If that duo doesn't work out then maybe Woodson should get a head coach job.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
hawksdogsbraves
Child, please

hawksdogsbraves is considered somewhat coolhawksdogsbraves is considered somewhat coolhawksdogsbraves is considered somewhat cool

As a fan who watched his teams for years, I can confirm that he is NOT a good head coach. He may help the Knicks defense though, that's his forte. However in Atlanta he literally didn't coach offense at all which led to us only running Iso's and getting bumped from the playoffs early every year (except that one Celtics series, that was sweet).

So good hire as an assistant, don't ever make him the HC though.
hawksdogsbraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

Joey Zaza is considered somewhat coolJoey Zaza is considered somewhat coolJoey Zaza is considered somewhat cool

Nice compliment to D'antoni...not a head coach. Atl games were brutal to watch. I call that offense the Its-my-turn-its-your-turn-wait-its-my-turn-oh-no-its-Joe's-turn offense.
Joey Zaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #9
knickswin
Good college starter

knickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this boardknickswin is popular on this board

assistant--maybe, in fact I'll say probably

head coach--the only knicks fans who should want this guy over d'antoni are the blind d'antoni haters who think this team would be better off coached by their pet dogs. That Atlanta offense was tough to watch and I don't want my team playing that game.
knickswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
Apocalyptic0n3
The End Is Near

Apocalyptic0n3 has not been impressing people

Is Woodson not being considered for the Minnesota job? I originally figured that be where he landed if the Pistons chose Frank over him (like they did)
Apocalyptic0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

MeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation hereMeLO MvP 15 has an incredible reputation here

I absolutely love him as an defensive minded assistant coach. I just hope D'antoni lets him do some coaching so the defensive mindset actually is seen on the court... Obviously he's turning the Knicks into Chicago or the Boston from 2-3 years ago defense, but if he can put us in the middle of the pack I'd be ecstatic.

All that being said, no way I want him as head coach. His entire offense would consist of Melo and Amar'e isos... no thanks.

Good to see us trying to improve the defense... I really wanted Frank but when Detroit took him, I moved my sites to Woodson.
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
alwaysunny
in Brooklyn

alwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteralwaysunny is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

At this point anyone other than Adelman would be a disappointment for me.
alwaysunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #13
knicksman
Good college starter

knicksman has a bad reputationknicksman has a bad reputationknicksman has a bad reputation

i rather have dantoni. offense-only coach is better than defense-only coach. i dont want to end up with those other defense-only teams like AI sixers, new jersey, houston, pacers, new orleans and now orlando. who are only good in their first years and then regress the following years. Id rather be an offense-only teams like suns or dallas coz they are consistently winning every year. Mavs have 50+ wins for 11 years and at last gotten over the hump last june when they incorporated defense in their offense. Suns could have too if they dont have a cheap owner. Its easier to incorporate defense on offense than offense on defense
knicksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:42 AM   #14
BlackWhiteGreen
NBA lottery pick

BlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this boardBlackWhiteGreen is popular on this board
Default Woodson to the Knicks

According to NY Post, Mike Woodson will be a coach on the Knicks next season.

Quote:
#Knicks are expected to announce Mike Woodson as new assistant coach later today one month after he met in NYC with D'Antoni.

http://twitter.com/#!/NYPost_Berman/...84853706584064
BlackWhiteGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Woodson to the Knicks

Isiah doing work.

Quote:
alanhahn Alan Hahn
Mike Woodson will be named an assistant coach of the #Knicks today. #fb

Last edited by bagelred : 08-29-2011 at 10:48 AM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: