Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
Colbertnation64
I hit open 5-footers

Default Anyways, here are my thoughts on how the Lakers improved nearly every weakness.

I'll give my thoughts, I admit that I'm bias since I'm a Laker fan but hopefully it's some decent insight. Feel free to disagree or agree.

Here are the main weaknesses the Lakers had last year:
1. There was a lack of 3 point shooting. The lack of 3 point shooting really hurt our advantage of having Bynum and Pau. Teams could double team them without any punishment. Also, Bynums biggest weakness is not being able to pass out of a double team.

2. Lack of bench production

3. Metta came in out of shape due to a back problem he couldn't get fixed because of the lockout, towards the end of the season he was doing very well.

4. Pau being put away from the basket to distribute from the high post. Leading to him playing much worse than he can. Part of the problem was Bynum is a great player, but he's not very quick. Bynum being paired with Gasol clogged the lane and forced Gasol out of the paint, also making it harder to drive the lane.

5. Hard time defending the pick and roll

6. Players that had a hard time creating their own shot

7. Lack of athleticism.

Off season moves:
1. The Lakers improved their 3 point shooting by bringing in Nash. Nash still shot nearly 40% last year. The Lakers now have a few decent-very good 3 point shooters with Nash, Meeks, Duhon, Goudelock, Jamison, Kobe, Metta World Peace(got healthy late in the season, shot 38% from 3 during the playoffs.) Howard is also better at passing out of the double team. Any team doubling Howard or Pau will have to think twice with players like Nash out waiting for the pass.

2. Still not a great bench, but much improved and average now. Blake, Meeks, Ebanks, Jamison, Hill, Duhon, Clark, Goudelock.

3. Like stated before, Metta did really well once he got back in shape. According to reports he's in shape and looking great right now. Like I said earlier, he shot 38% from 3 in the playoffs so let's hope he can keep it up during the season.

4. This isn't a guaranteed thing, but hopefully with Dwight here he wont clog the lane as much making it so Pau can play down in the post more and hopefully opening up the lane a little more for drives. Also, any combination of a pick and roll involving Nash, Kobe, Dwight, Pau will be way too awesome. Pau can even be a p&r ball handler with Dwight as he did much last season with Bynum.

5. Dwight Howard is a game changer on defense, his quickness will allow better p&r defense. When players get past out perimeter defense they'll still have Dwight to deal with.

6. If the offense gets stalled Nash will be able to help players get a shot off.

7. Lack of athleticism: lol

Basically in one off season most of the weaknesses have been improved
Colbertnation64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
amfirst
Great college starter

Default Re: Anyways, here are my thoughts on how the Lakers improved nearly every weakness.

U also have to include that no one on the Lakers last year was willing to take a charge. So teams weren't afraid to put their head down and dive towards the rim. Now, that Nash is part of the team, u know he is willing to put his body on the line that would make people think twice. Also, we need to some how get Metta on board with taking charges. That SF spot is very important for the defense. If he is willing to take charges Lakers can be very hard to beat.

Last edited by amfirst : 08-19-2012 at 11:21 PM.
amfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
ChandlerParsons
38th pick to Rockets!!

Default Re: Anyways, here are my thoughts on how the Lakers improved nearly every weakness.

ChandlerParsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #4
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Speed off the dribble will still be an issue but this team now has a guy who can get you easy baskets in Nash and a dominant C who brings effort every night. Will see how it turns out.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:14 PM   #5
brownmamba00
Cali Love

transition D is still gonna be a problem. Dwight def improves it but we're still old and slow on the perimeter.

But with Pau and Dwight crashing the boards and with Nash as PG the opposition shouldn't get too many fast break points imo.
brownmamba00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Colbertnation64
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmamba00
transition D is still gonna be a problem. Dwight def improves it but we're still old and slow on the perimeter.

But with Pau and Dwight crashing the boards and with Nash as PG the opposition shouldn't get too many fast break points imo.
True, I guess that ties in with the fact that we didn't get much more athletic outside of Dwight.
Colbertnation64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
KyrieTheFuture
College superstar

I could honestly see transition D being an issue, Dwight will be the only one back on D and people may take it right at him getting him in foul trouble.
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
BlackVVaves
NBA lottery pick

Nice fair analysis throughout the thread. Pretty much agree with everything stated. Pick and roll defense, outside shooting, and a bench that consistently and embarrassingly lost every lead they were given by the starting lineup were the main reasons why the Lakers were unsuccessful in the season and playoffs.
Though they didn't do a complete 180 in each of these areas, they did a well enough job that they should be able to find themselves in the WCF, a place they haven't been able reach since their last championship parade.

Dwight isn't that far ahead of Bynum production wise, but Dwight's greatest strengths have been some of the Lakers' greatest weaknesses that have been consistently exposed the last two seasons. If Dwight can be the defensive anchor he has always been, he + Mike Brown's defensive schemes should make LA a top 5 defensive team this year. Come playoff time, that will be a very significant factor.

Something that also goes undiscovered by stat junkies is the effect Dwight will have on the Lakers in terms of fouls. Yes, he'll probably miss 40% of his freethrows. But, its not the free throws made or misses that I'm highlighting. Dwight the last 3 seasons has gotten to the line about 12 times a game, doubling Bynum's average free throw attempts. Now, let's look at the Lakers' other prolific foul shooter, Kobe. The last three years, Kobe has averaged about 7 free throws attempts per game. So, between Kobe and Dwight alone, you're going to be looking at anywhere between 9 and 13 fouls on the opposition. That's on two players alone.

Those extra fouls will put teams like Miami and OKC, who prefer to stay out of the penalty to allow their offense more opportunities to run with the clock still ticking, in trouble. Especially Miami, who would undoubtedly be forced to play players like Joel Anthony more than they'd want to as a result of early foul trouble for the likes of Haslem and Bosh. Wade could also run into some issues, as Kobe draws fouls on even the smartest of NBA players, precisely how Wade fouled out in the last matchup between Lakers-Heat.

I think the foul thing will end up playing a bigger part in the larger picture than people think. Dwight may not convert on his freethrows, but being put in the penalty early as a team has one of the more profound impacts on a game. It ****s up the opposition's lineups and thus strategies. It also allows other good free throw shooters on the team, like Nash and Pau, to take advantage of the early penalty and get to the line more themselves.

Last edited by BlackVVaves : 08-19-2012 at 07:28 PM.
BlackVVaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Rubio2Gasol
College star

^^^Dont be surprised if Bynum starts getting the superstar calls now
Rubio2Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
BlackVVaves
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
^^^Dont be surprised if Bynum starts getting the superstar calls now

It's more about what Dwight will do rather than what Bynum didn't or will do. At least in regards to this thread.
BlackVVaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
Nice fair analysis throughout the thread. Pretty much agree with everything stated. Pick and roll defense, outside shooting, and a bench that consistently and embarrassingly lost every lead they were given by the starting lineup were the main reasons why the Lakers were unsuccessful in the season and playoffs.
Though they didn't do a complete 180 in each of these areas, they did a well enough job that they should be able to find themselves in the WCF, a place they haven't been able reach since their last championship parade.

Dwight isn't that far ahead of Bynum production wise, but Dwight's greatest strengths have been some of the Lakers' greatest weaknesses that have been consistently exposed the last two seasons. If Dwight can be the defensive anchor he has always been, he + Mike Brown's defensive schemes should make LA a top 5 defensive team this year. Come playoff time, that will be a very significant factor.

Something that also goes undiscovered by stat junkies is the effect Dwight will have on the Lakers in terms of fouls. Yes, he'll probably miss 40% of his freethrows. But, its not the free throws made or misses that I'm highlighting. Dwight the last 3 seasons has gotten to the line about 12 times a game, doubling Bynum's average free throw attempts. Now, let's look at the Lakers' other prolific foul shooter, Kobe. The last three years, Kobe has averaged about 7 free throws attempts per game. So, between Kobe and Dwight alone, you're going to be looking at anywhere between 9 and 13 fouls on the opposition. That's on two players alone.

Those extra fouls will put teams like Miami and OKC, who prefer to stay out of the penalty to allow their offense more opportunities to run with the clock still ticking, in trouble. Especially Miami, who would undoubtedly be forced to play players like Joel Anthony more than they'd want to as a result of early foul trouble for the likes of Haslem and Bosh. Wade could also run into some issues, as Kobe draws fouls on even the smartest of NBA players, precisely how Wade fouled out in the last matchup between Lakers-Heat.

I think the foul thing will end up playing a bigger part in the larger picture than people think. Dwight may not convert on his freethrows, but being put in the penalty early as a team has one of the more profound impacts on a game. It ****s up the opposition's lineups and thus strategies. It also allows other good free throw shooters on the team, like Nash and Pau, to take advantage of the early penalty and get to the line more themselves.

Agreed, well put.

Should be a good tight season ahead
Old 08-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #12
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Still think athleticism and youth is a minor issue. Howard is a major improvement over Bynum defensively, with him anchoring the defensive, takes major pressure off Kobe and Nash on the defensive end.

Other than Howard, no one else is particularly athletic. Maybe if they somehow get J-Smoove...
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #13
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Dwight is not a good passer at all......other than that I completely agree
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #14
Batz
Shit just got serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Red for you.
Batz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker

He's better than Drew in that area.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: