Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
iamgine

iamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation hereiamgine has an incredible reputation here
Default A riddle....

A little riddle for those who cannot sleep...

We pick four numbers from 1 - 10.

Then we call 2 perfect logicians called Ann and Bob. They know we have four numbers but neither of them know the numbers.

We add those numbers and tell only Ann the result.

We multiply those numbers and tell only Bob the result.

Then we put them in a room together and ask them how many numbers do they know from the addition and multiplication of the numbers:

Ann: I don't know any number
Bob: I only know one number
Ann: I now know two numbers
Bob: I now know all the numbers!

What are the numbers?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
Riddler
D-94

Riddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRiddler is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: A riddle....

Just called my friend in Boston...

He's working on the problem right now:

Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

Are the 2 numbers that Ann knows different from the 1 Bob knows?
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 AM   #4
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine

Then we call 2 perfect logicians called Ann and Bob. They know we have four numbers but neither of them know the numbers.

Then we put them in a room together and ask them how many numbers do they know from the addition and multiplication of the numbers:

What are the numbers?
Go fuck yourself and your ugly ass avatar.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine

What are the numbers?

Hmm. Taking a shot in the dark here..

Bob only knows one number. 2,3,4,6,8,910,5 are null and void because they are multiples of each other. And you can never tell by one. That leaves... 7.

So now we have our first number which is 7, the only prime in the mix without a multiple.

Ann deduces the 7 and she sees that the number is either odd or even.. from here she can probably guess whether or not its a 2 or 3.. and NOT a 4 or a 6. After a quick overlook 3/6 /4/8 and 5/10 have a 2* relationship It has to be 3.

So now we have 7 and 3. We have 21 as the root.

THe number is 42. That leaves 2 and 1 as the reamining factors.

13 added
42 multiplied
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFFERSON MONEY

Bob only knows one number. 2,3,4,6,8,910,5 are null and void because they are multiples of each other. And you can never tell by one. That leaves... 7.

So now we have our first number which is 7, the only prime in the mix without a multiple.

Ann deduces the 7 and she sees that the number is either odd or even.. from here she can probably guess whether or not its a 2 or 3.. or a 4 or a 6. After a quick overlook 3/6 /4/8 and 5/10 have a 2 relationship so it can't be 2. It has to be 3.

If it takes this long of an explanation or answer, then this is not a riddle.
Patrick Chewing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #7
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
If it takes this long of an explanation or answer, then this is not a riddle.

Dude do you have to be so mean like that?

I mean I realize your the great Patrick Chewing and all but could you please have some ****ing mercy on a poor sap like m?

About a year ago I was playing ball, went up for a block, had my legs entangled on the opponents shoulder, fhung in thea ir way too long, flipped over, and landed on the front of my head. HARD. I'm suffering a lot right now but working my way back up to the glorious days.

I can barely speak logically or write coherently, and I'm just throwing my thought process out there.

Gosh damnit.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My incomplete guess was that Ann was told something like "pie" (pi).
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:27 AM   #9
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

J$ is an amazing person.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Dude do you have to be so mean like that?

I mean I realize your the great Patrick Chewing and all but could you please have some ****ing mercy on a poor sap like m?

About a year ago I was playing ball, went up for a block, had my legs entangled on the opponents shoulder, fhung in thea ir way too long, flipped over, and landed on the front of my head. HARD. I'm suffering a lot right now but working my way back up to the glorious days.

I can barely speak logically or write coherently, and I'm just throwing my thought process out there.

Gosh damnit.

Did you block the shot??
Patrick Chewing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
RaininTwos
Betrayed

RaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Maybe I've spent too much time watching Dora, but some of the riddles posted here are just too intense for me.
RaininTwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #12
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:

Ann deduces the 7 and she sees that the number is either odd or even.. from here she can probably guess whether or not its a 2 or 3.. and NOT a 4 or a 6. After a quick overlook 3/6 /4/8 and 5/10 have a 2* relationship It has to be 3.

13 added
42 multiplied

I don't think that's right, because if the number added was 13. Ann would know that one number has to be "1" assuming you can pick each number once...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #13
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininTwos
Maybe I've spent too much time watching Dora, but some of the riddles posted here are just too intense for me.

Agreed. Let me ease all of your minds' with a new riddle:

Three guys run into a bar, the fourth man ducks. Why does he duck?

And to ease any further frustrations, you can check the answer in white: HE DOESN'T WANT TO HIT HIS HEAD ON THE BAR YOU F*CKING DUMBASS! I can't believe you needed the white text.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #14
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
I don't think that's right, because if the number added was 13. Ann would know that one number has to be "1" assuming you can pick each number once...

A good riddle covers those lose ends by stating you can only pick each number once if it is a possible alternate answer.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #15
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininTwos
gimme a backpack anyday
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: