Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 10-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Should the Raptors have drafted Andre Drummond?

When Andre Drummond, once thought to be in contention for the No. 1 overall pick in the 2012 NBA Draft, slowly saw his stock tumble during his lone season at UCONN, it was chalked up to inconsistency on the court, what appeared to be an inconsistent effort, and a physically gifted player that just wasn’t NBA-ready from a basketball perspective.

So when the teams near the top of the Lottery all passed on him on Draft night, I don’t think too many people were surprised, and I only remember a select few Raptors fans saying that Toronto should have drafted the big man on “potential” alone.

Fast forward a few months, Drummond puts up 12 points and seven rebounds against the Raptors in his pre-season debut, and suddenly paranoid fans are lighting up twitter about the latest “one who got away.” Then he goes for 19 and 10 against the Bucks in his third pre-season game, and fan reaction would have you believe that the Raptors passed on the next Dwight Howard.

-- The Score
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Should the Raptors have drafted Andre Drummond?

Let's pump the breaks a little bit.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I hate websites that make the raptors fan base look like idiots. Case in point.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

A few pre-season games in and the Raptors should have taken Drummond ?

Raptors already have their future piece commitment to Jonas and you can't take anything from the pre-season at face value. It's a shame that the Score would jump to things like this, from sources of twitter of all places. How many fans out there even know the entire roster of the Raptors, outside of true Raptors fans/Toronto ?

Let the rookies play it out after this season and play a few more seasons to gain some perspective here.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #5
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Unequivocal yes !

Not because of 1 preseason game and a bunch of tweets.

Bull5$%^ !

Because his raw talent and upside would have/ could have / should have :

1) Made Toronto a player in the Dwightmare sage - playing the role the Denver Nuggets GM so successfully played - note a former Toronto Management personal assembly a darn fine team in the rockies. Ike suddenly looks like a player we would want very much - thank you very much

2) Extracted a better bargin from Houston for Kyle Lowry. Perhaps a mutlitplayer deal that would have allowed Toronto to keep its first round pick given up fro Kyle. Perhaps a deal that would have netted Terrence Ross from the 12th (or where ever they picked) where Terrence was projected to be available.

3) Extracted a better deal from Sacremento - that sent Joe Johnson (late 1st round pick with proven high energy skills) for a 2nd round choice... and further allowed Bayliss to walk for nothing. I suspect if even 10% of the rumors are true about Evans (comign out of Sacremento now) - that Drummond Baylis and Johnson could have been worked into a deal for i.e Tyreke Evans and say Franciso Garcia .....

Bottom line is this team is still some way from competing successfully in the east to be a consistent playoff team - let alone a championship calibre.

Taking high upside talent at this position in the standings is never wrong. Drummond would have either played here "for a while" or more likly been a very valuable chip in trades that upgrade the talent of this roster...

...and we still would have Kyle / Val / Derozan / Kliza/ Fields as a nucleus.

Last edited by Jballer : 10-15-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #6
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Colangelo
But where would Andrea Bargnani play? We need to get him 40 minutes.

Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Yes...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I think the majority of us here would agree that we would have liked to see Drummond picked with the 8th pick, but I hope we can all agree on that Score article being a bit much. Where are the Raptor fans already comparing Drummond to Dwight?

It's easy to say this now, but let's let the players play and see what happens.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 PM   #9
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
How could they NOT take Drummond?????

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/new...eply&p=7486463

Yes, I was one of those that thought they should of taken Drummond.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Yes, they should have.

The Raptors should have been trying to accumulate as many high-ceiling young players as possible to try to build a long-term contender. Instead, they chose to draft based on positional need and who was most "NBA ready" with the obvious intent to make a playoff push this year.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #11
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7

Raptors already have their future piece commitment to Jonas

and you can't take anything from the pre-season at face value.

Let the rookies play it out after this season and play a few more seasons to gain some perspective here.

1) That is the plan - but frankly having both and pushing to see which develops is the better move. Having too much young upside is never an issue when you are 5th best in the Atlantic.

Further despite the rose colored glasses that a "lot of Raptors Fans" on this board are wearing... I am not convinced that Val is a sure thing - and that Drummond might be the better player in 3 years !!! Honestly I dont know - but at least I am willing to admit it.

For every Vlady Divac or Sabonis (*spelling Portland Russian Center and damn near hall of famer) - there is a Darko or Bierdens.

I hope and trust the scouting is right cause I am a fan. I wont bet my house on it.

2) Preseason and summer leagues are not regular season - I grant you that. However if teams show early chemistry that does mean something. Especially 2nd units. I agree however that Drummond performance in this one game is not the issue - the reason to have selected him are frankly obvious.

3) As above. It is "at best" a crap shoot in judging :

Drummond > Val or visa versa
Jeremy Lamb > Ross or visa versa.

I really dont know but in 3 years I could easily project or see the Raptors on the loosing side of those equations just as easy as the winning side.

Last edited by Jballer : 10-16-2012 at 09:55 AM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
AC Earl
I airball my layups

AC Earl has an OK reputation so far

[quote=Jballer]

3) Extracted a better deal from Sacremento - that sent Joe Johnson (late 1st round pick with proven high energy skills) for a 2nd round choice... and further allowed Bayliss to walk for nothing. I suspect if even 10% of the rumors are true about Evans (comign out of Sacremento now) - that Drummond Baylis and Johnson could have been worked into a deal for i.e Tyreke Evans and say Franciso Garcia .....

we had Joe Johnson?? lol.

Yes, we should have drafted Drummond. Last time the Raptors drafted for a positional need, they took Rafa Arrujo.
AC Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
Himan12
On the clouds

Himan12 has an OK reputation so far

I have no issues when the raps draft players like derozan as he was a bust or boom type player with an extremely high ceiling. And we need players with high ceilings regardless of the chances of them hitting that ceiling.

My initial take on Ross is he will be a solid bench player.

Valanciunas and Drummond would have been a nice foundation to build this team from the inside out. That ross pick will come back to haunt us as the five players selected after him will most likely be much better.

Last edited by Himan12 : 10-16-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Everyone is so negative about the situation. The fact of the matter is is that it is done and there is nothing you or I can do about it. The more you fret about it, the more it starts conparing to Granger, Aldridge, and others. Lets just see how Ross does because we need someone to replace Derozan since its lookin like they are trying to replace him.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
1) That is the plan - but frankly having both and pushing to see which develops is the better move. Having too much young upside is never an issue when you are 5th best in the Atlantic.

Further despite the rose colored glasses that a "lot of Raptors Fans" on this board are wearing... I am not convinced that Val is a sure thing - and that Drummond might be the better player in 3 years !!! Honestly I dont know - but at least I am willing to admit it.

For every Vlady Divac or Sabonis (*spelling Portland Russian Center and damn near hall of famer) - there is a Darko or Bierdens.

I hope and trust the scouting is right cause I am a fan. I wont bet my house on it.

2) Preseason and summer leagues are not regular season - I grant you that. However if teams show early chemistry that does mean something. Especially 2nd units. I agree however that Drummond performance in this one game is not the issue - the reason to have selected him are frankly obvious.

3) As above. It is "at best" a crap shoot in judging :

Drummond > Val or visa versa
Jeremy Lamb > Ross or visa versa.

I really dont know but in 3 years I could easily project or see the Raptors on the loosing side of those equations just as easy as the winning side.

Andre Drummond isn't even close to the player Valancuinas is at moment, and Val will be the better player than Biedrins and Darko, its not even a crapshoot. Why?

1) Val can shoot a free throw and Drummond, Biedrins, and Darko still can't shoot a free throw.
2) Val has already established himself as a productive pro player. Playing at a professional level with professional men. Drummond could barely play against guys his own age.
3) Val from his age up has been the best player at his age. As for Drummond, I'm not sure you can say the same thing.

Drummond is still raw and everyone is freaking out that hes getting 19 and 10 but first off you can play hack a Drummond which will easily keep him off the court and secondly he's got no post game, hes mainly putbacks and dunks. Yeah he has potential and Colangelo may have f*cked up, but whose to say Drummond isn't the next Kwame Brown?
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: