Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #1
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Chappelle's Show turns ten today.

One of the greatest sketch shows in history has just made its ten year anniversary today. Exactly 10en years ago today, Chappelle's Show made it's premier on Comedy Central. Time sure goes by quickly, don't it? I actually remember the adds for the series premier, the Mitsubishi car commercial parody with the chick dancin. Of course the first episode is best remembered for the "Black-White Supremacy" sketch. I can remember the next day at school (as a tenth grader) telling people about the show. I remember only me and a couple of friends knew about it. Hell, it wasn't until the second season that Chappelle's Show really took off! That's when even teachers were quoting his shit.

Before Chappelle's Show premiered, I only knew of Dave from the Nutty Professor and Half Baked. I don't think I'd even knew he was a stand-up comic. I seen the commercial and thought to my self "Hey, that's the funny comedian dude from the Nutty Professor" and gave it a shot.

Dave wasn't even a household name then. He had just been in "Undercover Brother" with Eddie Griffin, his biggest role besides Half Baked which wasn't huge. This was actually like his 6th show on the air, one show "Buddys" from the mid-90s lasted half a season.

What most don't even remember, Chappelle's Show wasn't the only sketch comedy on the air at that time. Cedric the Entertainer's show Cedric the Entertainer Presents ... debuted that previous fall on Fox to rave reviews (but canceled) MTV even gave Snoop a short lived show Doggy Fizzle-Televizzle. There was some weak sketch show on NBC I think Kelsey Grammer was involved in.

SHOW YOUR RESPECTS TO ONE OF THE GREATEST SKETCH SHOWS IN THE HISTORY OF SKETCH SHOWS.

Along with:
The Red Skelton Show
Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In
The Flip Wilson Show
The Carroll Burnett Show
Saturday Night Live
The Richard Pryor Show
SCTV
Kids in the Hall
In Living Color
Mr. Show with Bob and Dave

L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Chappelle's Show turns ten today.

It was great at the time, but I don't think it has aged well. I watched a few episodes about a month ago and didn't really laugh at all.

Dave's stand ups on the other hand are still brilliant.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
TheMarkMadsen
Know what im sayin?

TheMarkMadsen is considered somewhat coolTheMarkMadsen is considered somewhat cool

was just watching season 2 a few days ago, it was one of the epidsodes after Dave had quit where Charlie Murphy & Donell Rawlings were hosting...

first sketch was the one where Dave's getting his hair cut & on the televison at the front of the shop the news is talking about Dave's new 55 million dollar contract, everybody in the shop starts looking at him and then the barber tries to charge him like $8,000 for the cut

love that show, i'm almost happy it only went as long as it did, people would just had started bashing it and saying it wasn't "as funny as last season"

i can't remember an episode that was pure gold.

The "when keepin it real goes wrong" still runs through my head whenever i'm in a situation where keepin it real is needed.
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Check this out.

A Battle for the Best Chappelle's Show Sketch Ever

A Battle for the Best Chappelle's Show Sketch Ever
Sixty-four sketches. One winner. Ten years later, we determine the champ.
By Rembert Browne on January 22, 2013

PRINT

I'm not sure if it's the best show, or the funniest show, or the smartest show, or even the bravest show, but I do know that Chappelle's Show is hands down, without a close second, the most important show of my life. Since its debut on January 22, 2003, it became one of the few television shows that I watched every week, in real time, the night it aired. There are two reasons for this: (1) It was revolutionary, and (2) it was unacceptable to show up to high school the next day without knowing all the material from the previous night's episode. Social suicide, the kids still call it. And since the show went off the air in 2006, my weekly intake has only slightly decreased.

There's nothing I'd call myself an "expert" in, but for all intents and purposes, I have a PhD in "Ashy Larry" from the accredited institution of higher learning known as David Khari Webber Chappelle. For that reason, I feel confident in my abilities to carry this out in the most professionally passionate way possible.
The 11 Rules

The 64 entries are sketches, not full episodes.

What's subjective? Inclusion in the field of 64. Feel free to complain.
What's objective? Seedings, which are based on views on comedycentral.com. No complaints allowed.
If a long sketch ("Rick James," "The Mad Real World," etc.) is split into multiple clips on comedycentral.com, the views were summed.
Recurring segments ("Negrodamus," "Ask a Black Guy," "Lil Jon") are treated as separate entries.
Sketches that had multiple parts airing at different points of the same episode ("Piss on You," "Reparations 2003," "Pixies," etc.) are treated as one sketch, and the views of their separate parts were summed.
End-of-episode musical performances, while extremely important, are not included in this contest. But watch this. Never forget.
There is a noticeable bias, by way of views, toward newer clips (Season 3), which is unfortunate because that's Chappelle's worst. But know that that doesn't really matter, because seedings are almost irrelevant.
A win = what I feel is the best sketch. Nothing more, nothing less.
If you are disgusted by hyperbole, now would be a good time to leave.
If you are not well versed in Chappelle, stop now. This isn't amateur hour. Consider this bracketology's FINAL BOSS.

Last edited by L.Kizzle : 01-22-2013 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has no real reputation yet.

Oh wow nice.

Chappelle's Show was a cultural phenomenon...you couldn't show up to school the next day without seeing it, you're right.

It even changed the way kids would act at school...you could see kids trying to crack Chappelle-like jokes at everything.

What a beast of a show...i can't think of anything else with such a huge effect.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacattack33
Oh wow nice.

Chappelle's Show was a cultural phenomenon...you couldn't show up to school the next day without seeing it, you're right.

It even changed the way kids would act at school...you could see kids trying to crack Chappelle-like jokes at everything.

What a beast of a show...i can't think of anything else with such a huge effect.
In Living color was to the early 90s what Chappelle's Show was to the mid 2000s.

But yeah, Chappelle's Show is awesome. For a show that only produced maybe 30 episodes, that is greatness. Can't think of a show with such a large impact with less episodes.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Crazy that it's ten years old. I was an "underground" fan of Chappelle because my brother went to see him up in Grand Rapids in '99 and came back raving. Then I saw Killing Them Softly on HBO and it was a wrap.

That said, I don't remember season 1 being must-see TV for me every week. I laughed when I saw it, but if I missed an episode I was cool. I had a friend who was really into it from the start though and when season 2 hit, he was obviously way ahead of the curve, because that's when Chappelle really blew up.

There's still a ton of random lines from this series that pop up in my every day speech patterns. The reference is most often lost on others now, but I can't really control it at this point.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
DMV2
NBA All-star

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Thank you, Dave. I like your show.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
DMV2
NBA All-star

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2
Thank you, Dave. I like your show.
Run bitch! Run for your life! Get some help.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 PM   #10
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Don't forget he was in Con Air
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #11
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Whoa, awesome. A Grantland battle on Chappelle's best sketches. Clutch.

Just remembered I picked up some of my "bored boyfriend" speak from Chappelle's Wrap It Up Box segment. I use a flat "word" a lot in combination with a few others from Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas ("Why." and "This is so interesting, I'm'a just let you keep talkin'").

Also, 77% of the time I hear someone mention orange juice, my first thought is of fake Samuel L. Jackson yelling "JUICE? THAT WAS A GOOD ONE!" Sometimes I say it out loud and people get confused.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 01-22-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #12
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

longtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation herelongtime lurker has a near all-star reputation here

Damn ten years. Respect to one of the greatest shows in recent times. Also one of the smartest shows too. Remember in University we were quoting that shit every day son!
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:20 PM   #13
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Donnell Rawlings > Charlie Murphy.

"the meanest burger in the worl, can be the leanest burger in the world ... if you cook it that way!"

"oh shit it's Wayne Brady"

"Do it have weed in 'em"

"We stabbin' people with butter knives, bangin chick with no rubbers"

"Hey, it's James the nigher hattin dolphin"

"Truck driver, I'm a janitor. I just bought this truck straight cash and I got enough cigaret's to last me the rest of my life I'M RICH BICH!!
Old 01-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #14
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

I was sad to see the 2Pac skit get upset early on in the Grantland tournament.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #15
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I was sad to see the 2Pac skit get upset early on in the Grantland tournament.
Terrible upset, Love Contract was not better.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: