Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

RoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation here
Arrow LifeProTips! Tips that improves your life in a meaningful way.

edit:LPT #1 Read the thread title before posting it to avoid stupid misspellings..

Quote:
LPT If you want to buy the cheapest airline tickets online use your browser's Incognito Mode.

This LPT has helped me many times. The reason this works is because websites use cookies to track your browsing habits and searches. If you find a cheap ticket but browse the web before buying your initial "cheap" ticket gonna cost more.

Last edited by RoboticWang : 02-02-2013 at 08:16 PM.
RoboticWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

RoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation hereRoboticWang has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: LifeProTips! Tips that improves your life in a meaningful way.

Quote:
LPT: When camping, strap a head lamp to a gallon jug of water to fill the entire tent with ambient light.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #3
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: Watching a movie and the dialogue is too quiet and the action too loud? Use VLC's built in Dynamic Compression tool - Some starter settings.

Set the attack to around 50 ms and the release to around 300 ms. Much more fluid work on the dynamic range compression.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: Use a staple remover to save your fingernails when trying to add things to your key ring!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #5
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: Another way to write fast, well-constructed papers.
In college I had a professor that changed the way I wrote papers forever. After his class I became an English major and loved writing papers.
He gave a formula to our class: If you had an eight page paper to write, that means you need to write roughly 16 paragraphs. If you write an introductory paragraph and conclusion, that leaves 14 body paragraphs. Write down 14 ideas that support your thesis, rearrange them to make sure there is a natural thought progression, and before you know it you had an 8-page well-structured essay.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #6
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
PT: Rub a walnut on damaged wooden furniture to cover up dings
Old 02-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: If ever in a large crowd and faced with having to yell "somebody call 911", don't, and instead explicitly point to someone and say "YOU, call 911". This will prevent the "Bystander Effect".
The Bystander Effect in summary, is when there is a large amount of people, and therefore everyone assumes someone else is calling for rescue, when in fact no one has because there are so many people around "someone else will".
Firefighter buddies of mime have told me stories of them getting to a scene with tens of people standing around for minutes while nobody has yet called for help, simply cause you automatically assume since there is so many people around someone already had to have done that.
If you physically designate someone to call, they will. This tip can save a life.
Edit: Other good supplemental tips to this others are pointing out.
  • Say please
  • Also tell them to confirm rescue is on the way to ensure they have called
Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: When buying a romantic card, select two. Then write the inscription from card a into card b and pretend you can write sweet things.
Card 1: "Every day I think about the ten years since I've met you .. And how I'd never give them back for anything in the world."
Card 2: "I'm sorry for your loss."
I suck at this game.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: I work with my laptop a lot. Here is my way of organising my wires on my desk
This is what desk looks like sans laptop

This is what desk looks like when laptop is back home

Items required

Bulldog clip
Rubber band
Thick cardboard with hole punched in middle and slit on one side
Cable of choice

Thick cardboard with hole punched in middle and slit on one side

Attaching cardboard to cable

Putting pieces together

Lining them all up

The cardboard prevents the USB adaptor from slipping through the bulldog clip and falling away. Bigger adaptors such as the MBP power adaptor will not require the cardboard, but may need removal of bulldog clip wire to place wire in.

Cable pulled out when required

Cable retracted when not required

Some cables will automatically retract by the weight of the wire itself. Attaching additional weight to the wire is not recommended as this added force might damage the jack on the laptop.

http://imgur.com/a/3a0xj

Last edited by RoboticWang : 02-02-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: Don't show me Powerpoint's editing interface. Show me your presentation.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: Dealing with round sandwich fillings

Old 02-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: If you get stuck in the snow while driving, use your floor mats
Stop. Don't just accelerate, you'll dig a deeper hole. Instead, pull out your floor mat and place it in front of the spinning tire, tucking it in tightly. SLOWLY inch forward and you will be out of the ditch in no time.
Edit: Yes, there are a thousand and one other, better ways. This is if you're stuck and unprepared. The 'pro' part is using something you have with you at a time of an emergency.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #13
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: Avoid Bee Stings (works on wasps too)
This comes from my grandfather who raised bees for decades. I was helping him with his bees one day and somehow got a swarm angry at me (I was about eight). There must have been twenty bees after me! Like most people would I started running around screaming and flapping my arms. My grandfather looked at me with a smile and said to get under a bush and shake it. He told me to sit still for a minute. I did and the bees attacked the bush while I sneaked away!
My grandfather explained that the bees couldn't see me they only saw me moving. They instinctively attacked whatever was moving. So by going under the bush and shaking it, I drew them to it instead of myself (I had been doing the opposite by running around). My grandfather is gone now but I thought I would pass on this bit of his wisdom. This gem has saved me a few times from being stung.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #14
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: If you have a keyboard shortcut option on your phone, make one that fills in your email when you type "@@"

Old 02-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #15
RoboticWang
Larry Legend

Quote:
LPT: Before you throw away a post-it, run it between the keys on your keyboard to collect crumbs and fluff
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: