Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-10-2013, 03:04 AM   #1
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Default are whole grains bad for you? (any paleo dieters here?)

I read so much conflicting advice.

Should I continue to eat whole grains or not?
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Default Re: are whole grains bad for you? (any paleo dieters here?)

Gluten free seems to be the way to go.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:07 AM   #3
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero

I stopped eating gluten about a month ago, and feel no different. (I'm not allergic or Celiac)... So I feel kind of screwed because everybody said it would feel great.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!

Meh.

At the end, try eating less, eating more natural, eating more nutrient, and using it more.

It is tough, I know.
BurningHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:24 AM   #5
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
I stopped eating gluten about a month ago, and feel no different. (I'm not allergic or Celiac)... So I feel kind of screwed because everybody said it would feel great.

It is probably to some degree the placebo effect. When people thought cigarettes and radioactive elements were good for them they probably felt really great after taking them too.

I honestly don't get why eating right is so hard for people. It has to be just an industry thing. The health food business is like any other. Just eat enough varied foods and you should have all of your vitamins and minerals and protein and energy covered. And eat foods that are high in sugar or fat in moderation.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:25 AM   #6
Anti Hero
Be your own hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder

My sister is allergic, made the switch and feels tons better and has helped her Rheumatoid arthritis a lot. I haven't made the switch, not sure I plan to.
Anti Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
Should I continue to eat whole grains or not?
.........what i know for sure.........

- i've lost about 35lbs just cutting way down on grains and sugars of all kinds. eat anytime i feel like it now and don't gain any weight.

- whole grains are at least a good fiber experience, so i do treat myself to them every few days and don't feel too badly about it. examples-- air-popped popcorn, brown basmati, steel-cut oats.

- i like to try to REASON out the likelihood of modern humans being grain-eaters.... i.e. are we really designed to eat grains, or aren't we? this is a useful exercise because we know that the longer an organism eats a food in evolutionary terms, the more adapted it will be to that food, i.e. healthier.

for example, bamboo is one of the most ridiculous kinds of food in the world to try to absorb nutrients from, and yet a whole species of bear (pandas) somehow got adapted to eating it. even though it's such poor fare that they have to eat all day long in order to survive. but considering that they started as carnivores/omnivores, it's pretty impressive.

in any case, grains are pretty tricky food for most animals to eat because of the outer hull. first, the problem of removing it, then (for man) the problem of storing the perishable interiors. it requires tools, planning, proper storage... even high food science in turning it into the cadillac of grain-food, i.e. bread.

so, long story short... i doubt that humans were eating grains for very long.

the fact that our insulin tends to jump all around when we eat them now tends to reinforce that. the fact that grains and sugars in essence are diabetic timebombs.

- i noticed some kind of research study lately which proposed that as little as 10,000 years may have been enough time for man to have properly (more or less) adapted towards grains as healthy foods. that would be roughly the correct amount of time that man was picking grain berries, grinding them and making bread-like stuff... yeast and non-yeast varieties.

so there's a conflict right there... those last two points, you know?

i definitely need to do more research on this!

Last edited by gigantes : 02-10-2013 at 08:48 PM.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

Don't have celiac better but felt NOTICEABLY clearer-headed after getting rid of all wheat products (that includes non-rice based pasta)

Anything that is difficult to digest (i.e. lactose, gluten) will irritate your intestinal tract slightly.

Nutrition wise they are fine except that they contain certain things like phytates that block mineral uptake as gigantes pointed out.

If I"m not mistaken white rice, basmati rice, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, and gluten free oats are fine fo r practically everybody.

Also, believe it or not but apparently the "Peak Testosternoe Diet" meaning those who have the hardest bonrars have a strong emphasis on whole grains as does the macrobiotic diet or the Okinawan diet.
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

My relationship with gluten has been an interesting one.

Around sophmore year of college I was having bad groin and knee pain after playing basketball. This also coincided with the dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis I had since I was like 13.

Get checked out because I'm skinny, find out I'm gluten intolerant, go gluten free for a year. All that stuff clears up. Get tested for celiac just in case, doctor tells me I don't have it so I should be fine to eat gluten if I want. Start eating gluten again because it tastes good, am fine for like 2 years.

Come to China, all the crap returns now with crazy red rashes all over my chest. WTF doctor? You did a freaking biopsy on me. Why am I turning red?

I hate gluten.

Anyway, to answer OP. If you can stay disciplined, go for it! Its definitely a healthy diet to go on. But that means no beer, pizza or any other typical american food. It can be challenging at times.
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

So all the athletes who've been eating Wheaties in the morning over the past few decades have been doing themselves a disservice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKid117
Get checked out because I'm skinny, find out I'm gluten intolerant, go gluten free for a year. All that stuff clears up. Get tested for celiac just in case, doctor tells me I don't have it so I should be fine to eat gluten if I want. Start eating gluten again because it tastes good, am fine for like 2 years.

Come to China, all the crap returns now with crazy red rashes all over my chest. WTF doctor? You did a freaking biopsy on me. Why am I turning red?

I hate gluten.

You were fine for two years and then had an outbreak when you moved to China? What makes you think it was the gluten?
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #11
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
So all the athletes who've been eating Wheaties in the morning over the past few decades have been doing themselves a disservice?
heavily-refined food of any kind is some of the worst food you can eat. wheaties would be no different.

i mean, most of the fiber has been removed, as a stripped carb it wants to spike your blood sugar, and there are other kinds of structural changes at the micro-level... nutrients lost and so forth.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
Math2
Local High School Star

Honestly, the best diet is to eat what you would normally eat, just eat in moderation. It doesn't kill you to eat a chocolate, it only does if you eat piles of it each day. Just make sure you eat some fruits/vegetables and you have a fine diet.
Math2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
fiddy
HC4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti Hero

Decided week ago that i will go gluten free for a month. Will update later how i feel.
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
So how—and when—did this ancient grain become such a serious health threat? Author and preventive cardiologist William Davis, MD, says it's when big agriculture stepped in decades ago to develop a higher-yielding crop. Today's "wheat," he says, isn't even wheat, thanks to some of the most intense crossbreeding efforts ever seen. "The wheat products sold to you today are nothing like the wheat products of our grandmother's age, very different from the wheat of the early 20th Century, and completely transformed from the wheat of the Bible and earlier," he says.

Plant breeders changed wheat in dramatic ways. Once more than four feet tall, modern wheat—the type grown in 99 percent of wheat fields around the world—is now a stocky two-foot-tall plant with an unusually large seed head. Dr. Davis says accomplishing this involved crossing wheat with non-wheat grasses to introduce altogether new genes, using techniques like irradiation of wheat seeds and embryos with chemicals, gamma rays, and high-dose X-rays to induce mutations.

Clearfield Wheat, grown on nearly 1 million acres in the Pacific Northwest and sold by BASF Corporation—the world's largest chemical manufacturer—was created in a geneticist's lab by exposing wheat seeds and embryos to the mutation-inducing industrial toxin sodium azide, a substance poisonous to humans and known for exploding when mishandled, says Dr. Davis. This hybridized wheat doesn't survive in the wild, and most farmers rely on toxic chemical fertilizers and pesticides to keep the crops alive. (It's important to note, however, that the intensive breeding efforts that have so dramatically transformed wheat should not to be confused with genetic engineering of food, or GMOs. This type of technology has its own set of problems, though.)

So what does all of this plant science have to do with what's ailing us? Intense crossbreeding created significant changes in the amino acids in wheat's gluten proteins, a potential cause for the 400 percent increase in celiac disease over the past 40 years. Wheat's gliadin protein has also undergone changes, with what appears to be a dire consequence. "Compared to its pre-1960s predecessor, modern gliadin is a potent appetite stimulant," explains Dr. Davis. "The new gliadin proteins may also account for the explosion in inflammatory diseases we're seeing."

http://www.rodale.com/wheat-free-diet
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #15
Balla_Status

Where are you going to get your carbs from?
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: