Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
Donkey4trading
I hit open 5-footers

Default Did Wilts "100 point game" actually happen?

Seeing is believing.. And well I've never seen it, inclfact none of you have.

That's because footage of the game doesn't exist..

Lets take a closer look. In 1962 ( the year of the supposed game) the NBA wasn't very popular. Games werent televised, attendance was horrific and it was below college basketball in popularity. What a better way to generate coverage of the NBA than with a 100 pt game.. Could it be? Could Wilts 100 point game have been a fraud? Perhaps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Pomerantz
The 100-point game was a hyperbolic announcement of the rise of the black athlete in basketball,

Wilts "accomplishment" during the early 60's would have been a big deal, and as any promoter knows, a special attraction will bring fans to the game and with NBA attendance as dreadful as it was..one man saw a giant among men and a golden opportunity, that mans name was..

Harvey Pollack

Pollack, the Warriors PR man at the time saw an oppurtunity and took it. Knowing there was no cameras, NO SPORTS WRITERS at the game and a handful in attendance he knew this was a situation that could be easily manipulated.

Harvey Pollack originally claimed that the game took place infront of 40,000 people

Today, the games attendance is believed to have been around 4,000.

Pollack also originally claimed that the game was played in Madison Squate Garden..because what's better than a 7 foot giant scoring 100 points? Doin it infront of 40,000 people at MSG.

That's how little attention was payed to this game that Pollack believed he could get away with LYING about where the game took place. The actually game took place in Pennsylvania at the Hershey sports arena..not MSG.

Also, we are led to believe that in this game Wilt shot an astounding 28-32 from the line that night..

Wilt Chamberlain, a career 51% FT shooter supposedly had a game where he made 28 out of 32 free throws and there's no video to prove it..

Many years later when asked how this was possible Wilt said he attributed his amazing free throw shooting to shooting underhand free throws against the Knicks and that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt Chamberline
I personally dont think it will ever happen again,

How convenient, a 51% free throw shooter gets turned into Ray Allen from the line for one night with no video evidence and while using a form that according to Wilts teaamate Al Attles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Attles
I dont know if a team will allow it to happen now.

If Dwight Howard told you that he went 28-32 from the line in a game last night..but there was no video would you believe him? Prolly not. Especially If he claimed it was due to a new shooting form he was using that he will now never use again..

The game itself wasnt officially recognized and celebrated by the league until 1987..

The man who was burdened as being the "guy who wilt scored his 100 point on" Darrall Imhoff only played 20 minutes that game and wasn't even on the court when the 100th point was supposedly scored.

The game ball which Wilt supposedly scored his 100th point with was auctioned off for a huge sum of money was later suspended due to the question over the authenticity of the ball. The seller had claimed Chamberline handed him the ball after the game. However, Wilts teaamate contends that Wilt have him the ball..yet that ball has yet to be seen and verified...

Could the 100 point game have been nothing more than a marketing device to get more eyes on the NBA?
Donkey4trading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

Default Re: Did Wilts "100 point game" actually happen?

nope
inclinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
9erempiree
27 yrs of watching NBA

Till this day we won't know but I consider Kobe's 81 point game the record for modern day basketball.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #4
K Xerxes
Greatest

Ooo, everyone likes a conspiracy.
K Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

I never looked into his 100 point game in depth but did any of the players on the court at that time ever comment on that game? I'm sure they did, as did the two coaches. Go dig that up and get more concrete evidence, OP.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Jakeh008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9erempiree
Till this day we won't know but I consider Kobe's 81 point game the record for modern day basketball.

As opposed to someone not considering that the modern day record?
Jakeh008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
HomieWeMajor
You want some ?

This game was manufactured just like Magic and Bird were manufactured to exploit the black and white divide in the 80s.
HomieWeMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
I never looked into his 100 point game in depth but did any of the players on the court at that time ever comment on that game? I'm sure they did, as did the two coaches. Go dig that up and get more concrete evidence, OP.
Lots of people have commented on it that were there. It was in the paper. Wouldn't someone comment it was made up?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
9erempiree
27 yrs of watching NBA

All I know is that most casual fans believe that the 81 points is a record by Kobe.

People would say things like Kobe is not that good but he holds the record for most points scored. This is from his haters.

Or others will say I like watching Kobe and he holds the record for most points.
9erempiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #10
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

Quite literally NONE of the 'false dilemma's' you stated are true. Such as the things you claimed Harvey Pollack 'originally said' only later to 'change' his story - lmfao cite that shit you stupid fuck, old data like that has been archived. Oh wait that's right, you can't cite those false dilemmas cause they never happened. Pollack never said 40,000 and he never said MSG... no story ever changed, because Wilt scoring 100 points isn't a 'story' it's an actual event. An event that actually happened - with actual cite-able data, unlike your imaginary false dilemmas.

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/wilt/

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 11-02-2013 at 09:19 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
Donkey4trading
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Lots of people have commented on it that were there. It was in the paper. Wouldn't someone comment it was made up?

The box score was in the paper..

The stat keeper for that game being Harvey Pollack himself.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 PM   #12
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Pretty cool to hear. Can't believe I'm listening to something 50+ years old. Always creeps me. Still cool though.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #13
Donkey4trading
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Quite literally NONE of the 'false dilemma's' you stated are true. Such as the things you claimed Harvey Pollack 'originally said' only later to 'change' his story - lmfao cite that shit you stupid fuck, old data like that has been archived. Oh wait that's right, you can't cite those false dilemmas cause they never happened. Pollack never said 40,000 and he never said MSG... no story ever changed, because Wilt scoring 100 points isn't a 'story' it's an actual event. An event that actually happened - with actual cite-able data, unlike your imaginary false dilemmas.

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/wilt/

Yes because the one hurling insults and going out of his way to censor his curse word so that they don't get censored is definetly going to have a rational and unbiased opinion.

And yes, these "false claims" can be found all over the Internet.

Are you claiming you have footage of the game?
Old 11-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
QuebecBaller
Next Great White Hope

What the rest of the team said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBjUKYQ06RY
QuebecBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #15
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey4trading
Yes because the one hurling insults and going out of his way to censor his curse word so that they don't get censored is definetly going to have a rational and unbiased opinion.

And yes, these "false claims" can be found all over the Internet.

Are you claiming you have footage of the game?
I just posted the broadcast. Was it staged perhaps? Are guys who played in the game simply paid to talk about it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27tReCWl8RY

Mods, please delete this shameful thread.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: