Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-19-2007, 12:14 AM   #1
applejoe
Decent playground baller

applejoe has an OK reputation so far
Default Who do you blame for Cho Seung Hui?

- The school for not taking his professor's concerns seriously?
- His parents?
- The mental institute for not following up?
- The guy selling him the guns?
- The society for neglecting people like him?
- Cho Seung Hui himself?
applejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:23 AM   #2
j Fresh
Local High School Star

j Fresh has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Who do you blame for Cho Seung Hui?

All of the above.
j Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:25 AM   #3
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejoe
- The school for not taking his professor's concerns seriously?
- His parents?
- The mental institute for not following up?
- The guy selling him the guns?
- The society for neglecting people like him?
- Cho Seung Hui himself?

A mixture of all of the above no doubt. I'm also inclined to believe that he was also sexually abused as a child by someone close to him. I could be wrong but from what I've read about his plays, it seems pretty obvious to me.

Last edited by Randy : 04-19-2007 at 12:28 AM.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:29 AM   #4
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Hotlantadude81 has decent reputation

The media is too blame. Why do they show this guy's tapes and stuff? What good comes from it? That's just what he wanted them to do.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:36 AM   #5
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
The media is too blame. Why do they show this guy's tapes and stuff? What good comes from it? That's just what he wanted them to do.

Because it's good ratings. They ****ing LOVE this ****. I remember reading some lady killed herself after being interviewed by Paula Zahn. Apparently, she had a baby that died and Paula Zahn started basically accusing her of having killed the baby herself.

Ratings went up the next day.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:37 AM   #6
applejoe
Decent playground baller

applejoe has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

Good point. The guy probably goes through his life being neglected and this is his last resort to getting attention.
applejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #7
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Hotlantadude81 has decent reputation

School shooters are now pretty close to what serial killers were in the 70's. The more you give them attention the worse they'll be and likely will have more copycats following in the footsteps.

And I'm talking on a media scale here. The media spreading every detail of his life and showing these pictures and stuff only makes it worse.

I wanted to clear it up so our board policeman doesn't get it mixed up again.

Last edited by Hotlantadude81 : 04-19-2007 at 01:11 AM.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:13 AM   #8
JtotheIzzo
The Future is Now

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I blame him

his parents moved here when he was young from Korea so he could have a better opportunity in the future and he sulks and feels sorry for himself. he had every opportunity to do something with his life.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:13 AM   #9
m1sterb
Great young streetballer

m1sterb has not been impressing people

Whatever, I blame him. Just another lil weak dood that couldn't handle life. The guy was in America where he had a lot more opportunity then a hell of a lot of other people. Obviously there are factors that don't contribute to positive influences on people. But so what, the dood was weak, too weak to work out his problems.
m1sterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:55 AM   #10
Randy

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
School shooters are now pretty close to what serial killers were in the 70's. The more you give them attention the worse they'll be and likely will have more copycats following in the footsteps.

And I'm talking on a media scale here. The media spreading every detail of his life and showing these pictures and stuff only makes it worse.

I wanted to clear it up so our board policeman doesn't get it mixed up again.

No, I actually agree 100% on this one.

Local high schools around here have been finding threats all week since VT, and since Columbine's anniversary is this Friday, fear is at an all time high for another copy-cat killer.

Supposedly John Dillinger, before being mudered by the FBI yelled out, "I'm Dillinger! I'm not going to hurt you, but I'm Dillinger!"

He was proud of the fact that he was Public Enemy number one, much like these troubled murderers. They are proud and relish in their crimes, and of course the media circus is right there to give them the national stage.

Dillinger is seen by some as a modern Robin Hood and hero, despite being a thief and murderer. Bands, movies, and songs are named after him which I'm sure he would have loved. Same goes for these killers, they want to be popular even after they are dead, it's some sort of sick legacy.

Last edited by Randy : 04-19-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:47 AM   #11
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

Blame is more suitable for those going though a divorce or something of that nature. Blame here won't bring one of those 33 people back. Blame the killer they are dead because he killed them. Now don't I sound smart?

What can be done to prevent this from happening is a more valid question. As a society we'll screw that up too. I'm not saying this thread was not made out of good intentions. But it's the same rhetoric after every tragedy. Even when there is no protocol for what happened.

It's funny how when some unprecedented event happens every body is an expert. Next step, which expert sounds the smartest. To be totally honest. I am dumb founded by this. I really don't have a solution, or a real idea as to who to blame. All I can do is hope that something we can smarten up and take things more seriously on a world wide basis.

When I see the picture of him pointing that gun all I can think about is that was the last image someone saw and then they saw no more.

real thoughts
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:56 AM   #12
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
A mixture of all of the above no doubt. I'm also inclined to believe that he was also sexually abused as a child by someone close to him. I could be wrong but from what I've read about his plays, it seems pretty obvious to me.
i agree with randy. theres got to be something to his plays where he has the same boy claim to be sexually molested in different plays. he was a very sick person, but something in his past helped him along to his eventual meltdown. im not gonna blame the school or the system, hindsight is 20/20. u cant just lock up every "weird" kid.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:57 AM   #13
Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
Blame is more suitable for those going though a divorce or something of that nature. Blame here won't bring one of those 33 people back. Blame the killer they are dead because he killed them. Now don't I sound smart?

What can be done to prevent this from happening is a more valid question. As a society we'll screw that up too. I'm not saying this thread was not made out of good intentions. But it's the same rhetoric after every tragedy. Even when there is no protocol for what happened.

It's funny how when some unprecedented event happens every body is an expert. Next step, which expert sounds the smartest. To be totally honest. I am dumb founded by this. I really don't have a solution, or a real idea as to who to blame. All I can do is hope that something we can smarten up and take things more seriously on a world wide basis.

When I see the picture of him pointing that gun all I can think about is that was the last image someone saw and then they saw no more.

real thoughts

Nothing will come from this unfortunately. Both sides will battle over gun control, claiming that they're right and it will turn into a political circus.

I have no answers either, but this kid needed help. I think we need to shift our focus to helping and healing traumatized kids before even addressing gun laws. Of course, I don't know how to go about doing this but that's my 2 cents.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #14
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Cho Seung Hui himself

He was ultimately responsible for his actions.

I have a million reasons why I could go kill certain types of people, and maybe I'd like to be plastered all over the media and send a message to those people, but I still don't do it. I am responsible for my actions, so was he.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #15
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

I can kinda relate to Cho somewhat. I am what you would classify as a "loner". Sure I have a few freinds and cousins I hang out with but Im like this guy to an extent. When I meet new people I go into a shell and dont like to talk to them until I get to know them and feel more comfortable around them.

In Highschool, I was picked on somewhat, had trouble making friends and still do because I am a very anti-social person around people I dont know, So I know what it feels like to be alone and isolated, and I did make threats to people at my highschool, but obviously I never did any of it, I was joking for the most part.

After that I dropped out of highschool and went into counseling and was put on anti-depressants, so I did get help and I have started to turn my life around by going to college trying to make something out of myself, I have lost 30 pounds since January this year, Iv gone from 340 to 310.

I am no way saying what he did was right, because it wasnt, but Cho was also a victim of society.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: