Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
l3bronBryant
I airball my layups

l3bronBryant has an OK reputation so far
Default Is it racist?

ok i am white and i own a t-shirt that has a picture of africa and a black fist in the middle of it. Am i a racist or am i ignorant or is it fine to have a t-shirt like that?
l3bronBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Is it racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3bronBryant
ok i am white and i own a t-shirt that has a picture of africa and a black fist in the middle of it. Am i a racist or am i ignorant or is it fine to have a t-shirt like that?

as long as you don't do it in the spirit of making fun of African Americans... then that is not racist.

in fact if you support their empowerment, then that is not racist... though white ppl may call you a race traitor.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:16 PM   #3
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

u would probably just look confused. i dont see too many black people wearin white power shirts
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
l3bronBryant
I airball my layups

l3bronBryant has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
as long as you don't do it in the spirit of making fun of African Americans... then that is not racist.

in fact if you support their empowerment, then that is not racist... though white ppl may call you a race traitor.

i bought it because it looks good and i do believe that blacks have been opressed for so long, dont get me wrong i have made racist comments or jokes before, but i feel like it is a problem that is sooo much bigger than me and i do believe eventually there will be some kind of agreement and the other reason i bought it is i feel deeply sorry for people actually living in africa who live in poverty as well as corruption and war
l3bronBryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #5
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

Not racist but you would get a lot of funny lookings stares from not just balcks and whites, but all races.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

hold up.

stop this thread.

you have a lot of empty knots and half truths knotted into a potentially volatile political/racial argument among this board.

you mean well, but I can list at least 6 thinsg wrong with what you just wrote.

but I won't discuss them

wear the shirt and help out your African brothers, but stay out of too much trouble.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here

First of all, do you even know what the black fist stands for?
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
-primetime-

black people would have to at least question weather or not you are making fun of them....I would take it off
Old 05-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

I wouldn't think you were racist.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

Enigmatism has an OK reputation so far

No, wearing the shirt is not racist. However, it would seem that you know very little about the meaning and how deep it goes. I would suggest supplementing your understanding by reading a few books such as The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Malcolm X Speaks, The Black Panthers Speak, Nile Valley Contributions to Civilzation, and more... at least for starters.
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 07:14 AM   #11
j Fresh
Local High School Star

j Fresh has an OK reputation so far

you should buy KKK shirt to go along with it.. not just joking but my point is don't do it!
j Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #12
Wizardly Cool

This shirt is a bad idea. The only people who will take you even remotely seriously is your close friends. You'd catch insolence and goaded looks/remarks from blacks, whites and of all other races. Those who are not offended, will laugh and think you're a "wi66er" lost in translation.

If you want to support (or as someone said empower) African Americans, the best thing you can do is simply look at them as equal to yourself or any other race. If you start getting into all this "blacks have been oppressed" most black people will just think you're feeling sorry for them, and that they need your assistance.

Blacks are doing fine, no need for the mighty white man to intervene.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #13
Darsh
Good college starter

Darsh has decent reputationDarsh has decent reputation

i dont see how its racist, plus you live in Australia, where these issues arent even a problem. I'd be lucky to see 1 african person a week. I know thats not the point, but its just not something that is of much concern down here.
Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
ronron15
High School Starter

ronron15 is considered somewhat coolronron15 is considered somewhat cool

its all in ur heart... n if ppl come up to u asking about it, u just articule ur reason
ronron15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:56 AM   #15
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3bronBryant

I think it makes you a W*gger to be honest, or a confused little boy, black power is not for white people, it is symbolic with pride and not to be taken lightly
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: