Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2017, 10:19 PM   #1
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 17,498
Default QOTSA and FooFighters

Are trying to bring rock back.

Both great albums. Both are different from these rock legends, both exploring different sounds and succeeding.

QOTSA making a 'dance' record and killing it.

Who knew an ex Boys 2 Men and FooFighters collabo would be gold
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #2
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where the Slime Live
Posts: 16,704
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

Foo Fighters are a joke.


QOTSA needs to go back to being Kyuss.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #3
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where the Slime Live
Posts: 16,704
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUDoFb83pPs


Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #4
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 17,498
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Foo Fighters are a joke.


QOTSA needs to go back to being Kyuss.

I never understood why people trash FooFighters. Is it because they're mainstream?

They make good-great rock music. Sure they're commercial/mainstream but it doesn't take away from Grohl's songwriting and their playing.

Foo and Queens are all time legends and the best hard rock bands today.

We should be celebrating them even more now that rock is basically non-existent.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #5
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where the Slime Live
Posts: 16,704
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
I never understood why people trash FooFighters. Is it because they're mainstream?

They make good-great rock music. Sure they're commercial/mainstream but it doesn't take away from Grohl's songwriting and their playing.

Foo and Queens are all time legends and the best hard rock bands today.

We should be celebrating them even more now that rock is basically non-existent.

If you think that the Foo Fighters are legends and one of the best hard rock bands today, then you really don't know what you're talking about.

Just because they're on award shows and on the radio constantly doesn't mean they are good. Yes, most mainstream bands, including the Foo Fighters are complete and utter garbage.

Next you'll tell me that Green Day is one of the best Punk bands of all time too.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #6
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 17,498
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
If you think that the Foo Fighters are legends and one of the best hard rock bands today, then you really don't know what you're talking about.

Just because they're on award shows and on the radio constantly doesn't mean they are good. Yes, most mainstream bands, including the Foo Fighters are complete and utter garbage.

Next you'll tell me that Green Day is one of the best Punk bands of all time too.

Or maybe, they happen to be successful because they're good?

And NO, Green Day isn't even a top 10 band from Cali let alone all time.

Having said that, while Green Day may not be a great punk rock band, they have made some good 'rock' records.

I used to think like you when I was 15. If it aint hard and if they're on the radio then they must suck.

Was I ever wrong.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded
 
Derka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 8,917
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

New FF record is solid.

Haven't dug into the new QotSA record yet but I will soon. I haven't dug anything of theirs as much as I dig Songs for the Deaf but they're always worth a listen.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #8
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded
 
Derka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 8,917
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Yes, most mainstream bands, including the Foo Fighters are complete and utter garbage.
I remember when I was 12 years old and myself and the other 12 year olds said garbage like this. Seeing it from a grown man is disconcerting.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where the Slime Live
Posts: 16,704
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
I remember when I was 12 years old and myself and the other 12 year olds said garbage like this. Seeing it from a grown man is disconcerting.


As an adult who has listened to music for many years, it's a lot easier nowadays to say that anything that's considered "radio friendly" is garbage. It's all recycled Pop Rock, and for someone to come on here and try to pass off these bands as Hard Rock is insulting.

Last edited by Patrick Chewing : 09-22-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #10
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 17,498
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
As an adult who has listened to music for many years, it's a lot easier nowadays to say that anything that's considered "radio friendly" is garbage. It's all recycled Pop Rock, and for someone to come on here and try to pass off these bands as Hard Rock is insulting.

This sure as hell doesn't sound like 'soft/alt/pop rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojmoqwFvfJU
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:13 PM   #11
Pushxx
Pushxx
 
Pushxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 5,026
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

Both good albums. I love Foo Fighters' music, especially the album Wasting Light.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #12
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller
 
Patrick Chewing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Where the Slime Live
Posts: 16,704
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgar923
This sure as hell doesn't sound like 'soft/alt/pop rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojmoqwFvfJU


It's a hard song, sure. There are some good melodic elements of it. I just don't think that's what Foo Fighters has been known for. But then again I haven't listened to mainstream shit in years.

When I think of Hard Rock I think of a song like this:

Mastodon - Steambreather

I know some people will consider this Metal, but this song is the same vein as something QOTSA would put out, or their previous entity, Kyuss.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:42 PM   #13
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 17,498
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
It's a hard song, sure. There are some good melodic elements of it. I just don't think that's what Foo Fighters has been known for. But then again I haven't listened to mainstream shit in years.

When I think of Hard Rock I think of a song like this:

Mastodon - Steambreather

I know some people will consider this Metal, but this song is the same vein as something QOTSA would put out, or their previous entity, Kyuss.

What makes FooFighters so different from Mastodon?



Sure, not all of FooFighters songs are as hard, they have leaned towards the more melodic less hard style. But they always include a few hard tracks, and that's what makes them great. They're ability to switch it up and make hard songs that attract both the hard crowd and the mainstream.

This is a great 'hard' mainstream song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ04WbgI9rg

and here is a more mainstream pure rock song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63NiS3uZaTA

Yet again, there's elements of 'hard' rock as well. Very well constructed song, with a great simple melody and buildup. Nice play of multiple guitars (like old school classic rock songs).

Dat build up til the 2:39 mark is what's missing in most of today's music. Again, very 'Classic Rock' ish.

Or we can go old school FooFighters from their debut album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXg5bNXmY0k

Again, they introduce a lighthearted melodic sound and bring you a hard and heavy distortion filled angst. This is the same album that gave you 'Big Me'. That shows their diversity. Grohl is a big music fan and he understands how to use his voice and write melodies that bring out his voice. It's hard not to like this song. But they have other hard songs on their debut album such as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jnV04gwMHA

And this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb8JBr7Ax0w

Heavy in feeling, feels dreary although not played fast and hard, yet stilll melodic. I can keep going on and on and pick apart songs from all their albums.

Don't get me started on QOTSA.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:57 PM   #14
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 17,498
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

f*ck you for dissing QOTSA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw9-soIb5E8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azGPaFd8ECE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnJ6-ITHRBU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC_5Q2--ZfE
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #15
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1
 
andgar923's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 17,498
Default Re: QOTSA and FooFighters

BTW

FooFighters' 'Echoes, Silence, Patience and Grace' is a masterpiece.

Pure rock gold, it's a great nod to Classic Rock and very listenable for any rock fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEIeb85DkCs

Calming song with a great vocal performance by Grohl.


Again, great chorus and vocals by Grohl, great melody and nod to Classic Rock from the 70s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ndRF26xbA0


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i_pmop1ymo
Yet again, not a hard song but still a good rock song in general.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jA4Mmk1nfPg
This is a great example of why they're mainstream. Because they're f*ckin GOOD.

Quote:
echoes and silence, patience and grace
all of these moments i'll never replace
No fear of my heart absence of faith
all i want, is to be home
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy